Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It looks like all contractless/sim free XS models are still shipping on the 21st which is kinda amazing/surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

theblackw0lf posted:

So my iPhone (6+) is showing serious signs of slow down. Replaced the battery and still having issues. So thinking I need a new phone.

Don't want to shell out $1,000 for an X though. So torn between getting an 8+ now or waiting until October to get an Xr. The 8+ is only $50 cheaper than an Xr, so buying one does't really seem that beneficial from a cost perspective.

Can anyone think of why I should just get the 8+ instead of waiting for the Xr?

Though I'm kind of hoping IOS 12 miraculously fixes my slowdown issues.

No joke, iOS 12 is a godsend. I'm 99% sure that you'll stop having issues once you download it.

Personally I would probably get the Xr over the 8 just because of the bezeless screen, face-id and the A12 chip, but that's mostly because I have the X and fell in love with it over the 8. If you're unsure, you should go to an Apple store and they will try to pair the best phone for you based on your day to day usage and needs. Plus they don't get commission so they don't try to push the most expensive one on you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the big deal about dual sim and why is it seemingly centered around India?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the big deal about dual sim and why is it seemingly centered around India?

International travel maybe? I know I saw some people excited because they have two numbers, one for work and one for personal. Now they can just use one phone.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For some reason, a lot of previous dual SIM phones (mostly Samsung's budget devices like the Galaxy Grand) were India-focused. Though China seems to get a bunch of them too, and I think they were getting the "dual SIM tray" version and not the real SIM/fake SIM version.

International travel is the big reason - get a local SIM for data & calls, but still be available on your main number for incoming calls if needed.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Samsung loses sole supplier status for OLED iPhone screens as LG comes aboard

"OLEDGate" and "how can I tell if my display is an LG??" in 3... 2...

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pivo posted:

Apple tired of Samsung commercials

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Some light Googling shows that apparently that market is a hotbed of carrier deals undercutting each other and people swap constantly and to add, the culture. Most people there have 2 numbers, one for professional use and the other for personal.

Edit: This guy seems to have a decent breakdown: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-dual-SIM-so-important-in-the-Indian-market/answer/Vijyes-Yechuri

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TVs Ian posted:

International travel is the big reason - get a local SIM for data & calls, but still be available on your main number for incoming calls if needed.

Nah, swapping SIMs or having a non-lovely carrier that allows free unlimited roaming takes care of international travel just fine. And to be honest, who’s making international calls anyway when whatsapp/Skype and tons of other free voip services exist.

Dual sims is for people in countries with patchy coverage, weird limited data carrier deals, but with much cheaper data only SIMs too. You can save a bunch by separating them.

China and India wouldn’t have the biggest demand for dual SIM for international travel, it’d be Europe.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

How long before carriers start offering “buy one iPhone get one $x off” deals? I seem to remember some deals popping up this past January, just need to mentally prepare myself for waiting several months.

Verizon is doing a deal kind of like this right now. The only caveat being one of the phones has to be on a new line. :mad:

I started doing some mental gymnastics to see if it was cheaper to do this deal to get phones for me and my wife, and just carry a third line that we don't use, but I don't think it is.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I missed big chunks (or maybe they didn't bother with it) of the XS reveal. Are there any known bumps to 4k, Slowmo, etc..?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Feenix posted:

I missed big chunks (or maybe they didn't bother with it) of the XS reveal. Are there any known bumps to 4k, Slowmo, etc..?

BOKEH

No, they didn't go to deep into video recording.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone tried a wallet case, either with a flap or with a couple slots in the back for driver's license + 1 credit card? I feel like most wallet cases are owned by women who can carry them in a handbag, but for a guy who puts the phone in his front pocket, it's just too thick.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone tried a wallet case, either with a flap or with a couple slots in the back for driver's license + 1 credit card? I feel like most wallet cases are owned by women who can carry them in a handbag, but for a guy who puts the phone in his front pocket, it's just too thick.

So I never got around to it but this looks like what I would want in a wallet case. They would all only hold 3 cards but this was the only one that looked ok that held more. https://bullettrain.com

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wooger posted:

Yeah, you clearly lose a lot of money on AUP, as there’s no way an iPhone loses 50% of value in a year. I suspect Apple’s trade in values will be cynically calculated to not make this obvious, but other companies trade-ins, or selling it yourself would both give you a lot more money back.

They are selling for $700ish pre-owned on eBay, and the Apple upgrade program gives you $630, so :shrug:

Honestly the only reason I’m doing the upgrade is because babby wants big phone, otherwise I would just pay off the X and keep it for a couple more years.

Animal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 15, 2018

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
This is the first year going back to the 6+ that I can remember being able to painlessly order and have it estimated to ship for release date.

Last year with the X in particular, I waited till rear end o clock only for Sprint’s site to poo poo the bed and it was like three weeks before I could get the phone.

This year, Sprint not only let people know exactly when preorders would start, but let people hold their place in line if they clicked through on the My Sprint app. Then they could get a good night’s rest and come back to finish the purchase in the AM. I did this with the Max and I’ll have it the 21st.

Did Sprint uncharacteristically fix their poo poo, did Apple actually make enough, or is demand for these things not what it used to be?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How do you do the thing where the top part of the screen slides down so you can reach it on an X without a home button?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bloodysabbath posted:

Did Sprint uncharacteristically fix their poo poo, did Apple actually make enough, or is demand for these things not what it used to be?
I'd imagine it's some combination of all three.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

TraderStav posted:

How do you do the thing where the top part of the screen slides down so you can reach it on an X without a home button?

Swipe down on the Home bar.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

TraderStav posted:

You swipe down from just above where the horizontal home line is on the screen. It takes a bit of finesse to get used to and is definitely the weak point of the X's new gestures.

For people wishing they had a smaller phone, I highly suggest downloading Gboard or another swipe-based keyboard. It makes typing with one hand the easiest input method, and honestly it's a joke Apple hasn't integrated that functionality into the stock keyboard yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Has it gotten better integration with iOS? I may give it a try again if so.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Yeah, replacement keyboards work a lot better than they used to. I used to use Swype until they announced they were shutting down, and that keyboard would crash regularly, but Gboard hasn't crashed yet for me (that I can remember).

The only downside to any keyboard replacement is that sometimes an app will open with the default keyboard, but the X makes it easier to switch keyboards, as well (thanks to the large switch button on the bottom left).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only thing I can't stand about any/all replacement swipe keyboard is that none of them (or at least the ones I tried) let you hide the suggestion bar above the keyboard. I just want the same real estate as the native keyboard with added features if possible. Once they start taking away more screen, they lose me.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

https://twitter.com/drandersgs/status/1039270646243414016

Is there a thread for iTunes? This is garbage.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Evis posted:

They really need to work out what digital ownership means. I can’t believe that in 2018 this licensing bullshit still happens.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Josh Lyman posted:

My boss swears by the Silk Wallet cases. You can get them on amazon. I prefer to just roll with the leather tho.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That is why I still buy physical media. (That they typically come with digital codes helps, but if those get rescinded, at least I still have the spinning disc.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

How long before carriers start offering “buy one iPhone get one $x off” deals? I seem to remember some deals popping up this past January, just need to mentally prepare myself for waiting several months.

My 6s was purchased right before AT&T stopped doing subsidized phones so this will be the first time I have to pay full price (with the double hit of the wife needing one as well). This next phone will need to last me 3-4 years.

All the carriers rolled out those deals today. They're all mostly Buy One, get $700 off another and I think they mostly require one line to be new.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/14/carrier-deals-iphone-xs/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Evis posted:

You'd think Apple would have some clout where they force content providers to allow customers to have their purchased content regardless of whether or not the content provider pulls it from Apple. This sounds like some sort of class action lawsuit written all over it.

This is basically why i don't buy poo poo ever. I know movies/tv shows get pulled from netflix, but i'm not buying a specific movie/tv show.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Heads up, LastPass updated and supports the new password manager API in ios12. Still waiting on 1Password.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Josh Lyman posted:

I have one of the Silk wallet cases mentioned above (It's called Silk Vault on Amazon).It’s kind of thick, and won't win any beauty contests, but I don’t care any more. Not carrying a wallet is pretty nice.

It will slightly bend thinner cards over months. The newer thick chip cards are fine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Heads up, LastPass updated and supports the new password manager API in ios12. Still waiting on 1Password.

LastPass has a sketchy past regarding secure program design. No one should be using it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

LastPass has a sketchy past regarding secure program design. No one should be using it.

Ok

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Proteus Jones posted:

Care to cite those examples/sources?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You want a password manager that's secure, cheap, and cross platform. But you can only pick two.

I use LastPass so I guess I like cheap and cross platform.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

My original point is it's the first password manager using the new API and it's pretty dang good. You can use multiple password managers and no more hidden shortcuts in the sub menu.

I'm not trying to start a drat password manager debate.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

You want a password manager that's secure, cheap, and cross platform. But you can only pick two.

I use LastPass so I guess I like cheap and cross platform.

So Bitwarden?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Care to cite those examples/sources?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues

edit: lol “they requested that all users change their master password. However, the resulting user traffic overwhelmed the login servers and, temporarily, administrators were asking users to refrain from changing their passwords until further notice”

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 15, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues

edit: lol “they requested that all users change their master password. However, the resulting user traffic overwhelmed the login servers and, temporarily, administrators were asking users to refrain from changing their passwords until further notice”

So are you looking for a password manager that has never had or will never have a security issue? I’m a bit confused at what you’re looking for here.

Companies like Apple have incidents like this as well, are you expecting a perfect solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Pivo posted:

I certainly hope the panels LG are producing now are better than the Pixel 2 XL's, because they are not great.