Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

BobHoward posted:

You're in luck, your post reminded me I hadn't updated my macports packages in a while and ffmpeg is one of them. When it upgraded ffmpeg, it built it from source. I didn't get an exact time because the thing where you automatically update all macports packages isn't great for timing just one of them, but the ffmpeg build started with my clock showing 10:45 and ended with it showing 10:47, so it was approximately 2 minutes. 16" M1 Max MBP with 32GB RAM.

Thank you. That's about 9 times faster than my top-spec 2012 iMac. 🤣

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Just wondering what goons are using for a cheap or free plist editor?

Edit: All good. I'm an idiot.

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 29, 2022

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

My server is LithiumHosting and I don't know how to get SSH stuff working for it. I think that's outside of this thread's scope and probably need to pop into one of the networking threads or something.

Thanks for the help though! I might stick with Transmit 5 until I can figure out how to make SSH work so I can use git.

Yah I think I meant SFTP too, honestly never paid attention to the differences.

Looks like you need the Enhanced package on LithiumHosting for ssh/git/sftp. The starter package supports ftp with auth tls so your password is safe if you configure your client right.

I sort of forgot shared hosting exists when since vps’s are so common but then you have to janitor a Linux server which can be a lot of work.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

binarysmurf posted:

Just wondering what goons are using for a cheap or free plist editor?

Edit: All good. I'm an idiot.

Xcode. :v:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
As I'm adjusting to using macOS for most of my daily computer touching, two things that bother me are the dock and, somewhat related, window management. I can switch between apps just fine by using CMD+SPACE, and since the dock doesn't do previews of open windows on mouse-over like Windows does, I find that the only reason I keep it on the screen at all is the notification count for certain apps (email and messaging, mainly).

Is there any way to either make the dock more useful (i.e. window previews) or to move notification counts somewhere else (menu bar?) so I can just hide the dock? I tried relying on the notification badges and the notification center or whatever it's called, but having the count on screen at all times is just something my brainworms crave.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Badly Jester posted:

I can switch between apps just fine by using CMD+SPACE

Consider using Alfred or Rayshader over Spotlight.

Violator
May 15, 2003

You can use Mission Control to see app window previews. You can activate that using a function key or setting up hot corners in the Settings app. You can view all windows or all windows for the current app.

I don’t have any suggestions for notifications, viewing them in the Notification Center is kind of crappy right now. There is a wide variety of menu bar apps that might be able to help with this but none jump out of me because I don’t use them.

You may try pinning the dock to the side of the screen and see if you like that better. There are also apps that let you pin the dock in the corner and customize it more but I don’t remember what those are.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Armauk posted:

Consider using Alfred or Rayshader over Spotlight.
Yeah, Alfred looks very interesting - thanks for the suggestions!

Violator posted:

You can use Mission Control to see app window previews. You can activate that using a function key or setting up hot corners in the Settings app. You can view all windows or all windows for the current app. [...]
I've been relying on the three-finger swipe a lot, but switching to the app first, getting an overview of its open windows and only then choosing the one I want instead of just choosing the one I want in the first step feels off to me. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's certainly not as smooth as my prefrontal cortex. In fact, I'm probably just being weird about letting go of old habits, but with almost everything else, I've found macOS to be far more comfortable to use than both Windows and the big Linux DEs. That's what makes these things stick out to me.
Anyway, thanks for indulging me.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think you can also activate Mission Control with a four finger swipe up or down? Can’t remember, but you can do it all with the trackpad if that helps. You can also set it to show all windows but grouped by app which is helpful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that whenever I have to use Windows and when I click on PyCharm or Outlook or whatever in the taskbar and it shows me previews of three different windows and I have to do an extra click to choose the one I want instead of the app just coming to the front with all its windows, it makes me crazy and I hate it. But that too is my own ingrained habit.

In the Mac world an app's windows all travel together, that's just kind of how the metaphor works.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m pretty sure you can minimize multiple app’s windows in the dock instead of within the app’s icon, which will then show it as a preview.

https://www.techjunkie.com/mac-minimize-windows-dock/

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 5, 2022

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

As I'm adjusting to using macOS for most of my daily computer touching, two things that bother me are the dock and, somewhat related, window management. I can switch between apps just fine by using CMD+SPACE, and since the dock doesn't do previews of open windows on mouse-over like Windows does, I find that the only reason I keep it on the screen at all is the notification count for certain apps (email and messaging, mainly).

Is there any way to either make the dock more useful (i.e. window previews) or to move notification counts somewhere else (menu bar?) so I can just hide the dock? I tried relying on the notification badges and the notification center or whatever it's called, but having the count on screen at all times is just something my brainworms crave.

For what it’s worth I’ve been using macOS since system 7, and I consider the dock training wheels, functionality useless once you know how to get around. Notifications are an exception I guess I usually spot those as they come in and don’t really use the red dot dock ones.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I started my new job and I got a MacBook Pro as part of it. I’m getting used to most parts but one thing is they didn’t set it up with an apple account. Is there any major gotchas with putting in my normal apple account on my work machine?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

god this blows posted:

So I started my new job and I got a MacBook Pro as part of it. I’m getting used to most parts but one thing is they didn’t set it up with an apple account. Is there any major gotchas with putting in my normal apple account on my work machine?

Just make a new one with your work email. You don't want like files sharing and poo poo between your home pc and your work pc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've been having a weird issue with using Excel on Mac and finally irritated enough to ask about it.

I have a large spreadsheet with many rows that I filter often. When I select a filter often times I'm greeted with a white screen because all of the remaining data moves to be top. No biggie, on Windows I can just easily scroll or ctrl up to get to the last record and Bobs your uncle.

For some reason on my Mac excel I have to do this little ritual. I have to clock in and move the active cell up or down and then scroll wheel once (vice versa works also) to activate the sheet to scroll up to the data or enable ctrl up. Otherwise the screen stays locked on the cells visible immediately after I filtered.

Has anyone else encountered this or better yet found a solution? I've googled but cannot seem to find the right words to bring this issue up.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It would save me so much frustration if it were to act as fluid as it's windows counterpart. (I also use this sheet on a windows machine and it behaves as it should, not as the Mac version does)

Thanks in advance!!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Just make a new one with your work email. You don't want like files sharing and poo poo between your home pc and your work pc.

Should I just add it to my “family” plan to share applications I have?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I've been having a weird issue with using Excel on Mac and finally irritated enough to ask about it.

I have a large spreadsheet with many rows that I filter often. When I select a filter often times I'm greeted with a white screen because all of the remaining data moves to be top. No biggie, on Windows I can just easily scroll or ctrl up to get to the last record and Bobs your uncle.

For some reason on my Mac excel I have to do this little ritual. I have to clock in and move the active cell up or down and then scroll wheel once (vice versa works also) to activate the sheet to scroll up to the data or enable ctrl up. Otherwise the screen stays locked on the cells visible immediately after I filtered.

Has anyone else encountered this or better yet found a solution? I've googled but cannot seem to find the right words to bring this issue up.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It would save me so much frustration if it were to act as fluid as it's windows counterpart. (I also use this sheet on a windows machine and it behaves as it should, not as the Mac version does)

Thanks in advance!!

Are you up to date on both macOS and excel?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

god this blows posted:

Yeah, that’s a fine enough plan. You can sign into just the App Store too, if you want to forgo any linking of the Apple IDs or skip it altogether.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

god this blows posted:

Just remember, the company has access to any "data" those applications have. If they have a MDM they are monitoring your filesystem.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

jaegerx posted:

Never make apple consumer accounts on a biz email because if they haven't got ABM yet, once they enabled it, the first step will be to disable those accounts. Ask your it team if they have provisioned a managed apple id for you or not. If they didn't or they can't, chances are that the mac hasn't MDM on(so you can use your personal account with impunity)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Are you up to date on both macOS and excel?

Yes to both, just verified.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Yes to both, just verified.

I’m not really sure what would cause this, but unless you have complicated settings, as a first step I’d nuke excel (delete the app and go into the user library and Macintosh HD/library and delete anything related to excel in application support. Then reinstall.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’m not really sure what would cause this, but unless you have complicated settings, as a first step I’d nuke excel (delete the app and go into the user library and Macintosh HD/library and delete anything related to excel in application support. Then reinstall.

No complicated settings, pretty much a stock M1 Max so shouldn't be anything weird. I'll knock out Excel and see where it goes. Thanks!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Grabbed a new 32" 4k monitor - a Dell SE3223Q - to use with my MacBook Pro on the latest release of Monterey. When I use my Displayport to USB-C cable, it says there is no signal. The cable definitely works - it worked flawlessly with the monitor I replaced. If I use an HDMI cable it works OK but I'd rather use my USB-C connection. When I search, articles talk about holding down Option and then 'Detect Displays' - but that button doesn't appear.

edit - Tried watching Amazon Prime Video using the HDMI cable. Some definite lightening/darekning. Is there any software reason in Monterey that might cause that? Seems flickery.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 7, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TraderStav posted:

No complicated settings, pretty much a stock M1 Max so shouldn't be anything weird. I'll knock out Excel and see where it goes. Thanks!

Sorry I meant complicated excel settings. This’ll wipe out any excel settings.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sad Panda posted:

Grabbed a new 32" 4k monitor - a Dell SE3223Q - to use with my MacBook Pro on the latest release of Monterey. When I use my Displayport to USB-C cable, it says there is no signal. The cable definitely works - it worked flawlessly with the monitor I replaced.
I fought with this exact same bullshit (different monitor, but exact same symptoms) and ended up trying a few different cables, with only this one actually working for me: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08V1MWXRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no idea what makes this specific one special since it's obviously just a whitelabeled one from Generic Asian Cable Manufacturer Ltd. but whatever, it works.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sad Panda posted:

edit - Tried watching Amazon Prime Video using the HDMI cable. Some definite lightening/darekning. Is there any software reason in Monterey that might cause that? Seems flickery.

This is commonly (but not absolutely and universally) something that happens when the OS and the monitor can't communicate properly about what colour space and -profile should be used. In mild cases, it just shows up as flickering — stuff like dimming or brightening any time some kind of overlay (video controls, subtitles etc) pop up. If extreme cases, it's full colour inversions or replacements that pop in and out depending on what else is shown on screen at the same time.

When this happens, the solution is to manually assign a colour profile that works. Generic RGB is often a safe bet, but it may require some experimentation.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

nexxai posted:

I fought with this exact same bullshit (different monitor, but exact same symptoms) and ended up trying a few different cables, with only this one actually working for me: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08V1MWXRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no idea what makes this specific one special since it's obviously just a whitelabeled one from Generic Asian Cable Manufacturer Ltd. but whatever, it works.

That's the exact cable I have - or at least looks externally identical anyway. So frustrating. Some pages seem to say it's a Monterey thing.

Tippis posted:

This is commonly (but not absolutely and universally) something that happens when the OS and the monitor can't communicate properly about what colour space and -profile should be used. In mild cases, it just shows up as flickering — stuff like dimming or brightening any time some kind of overlay (video controls, subtitles etc) pop up. If extreme cases, it's full colour inversions or replacements that pop in and out depending on what else is shown on screen at the same time.

When this happens, the solution is to manually assign a colour profile that works. Generic RGB is often a safe bet, but it may require some experimentation.

That sounds believable. I've been using the monitor for work things (Excel, browsing) and had no flicker. Watching a video on Amazon Prime and it was definitely dimming/brightening/flickering and annoying. When you say assign a colour profile, do you mean in that dropdown in the Displays options? It was on a profile named after my monitor originally.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sad Panda posted:

That sounds believable. I've been using the monitor for work things (Excel, browsing) and had no flicker. Watching a video on Amazon Prime and it was definitely dimming/brightening/flickering and annoying. When you say assign a colour profile, do you mean in that dropdown in the Displays options? It was on a profile named after my monitor originally.

Yes, that's the place.
Ideally, any modern and up-to-date display will be able to feed whatever computer connects to it a profile that explains how it handles colours. When that ideal is not upheld, or when for whatever reason that just causes the problem, setting something else usually does the job.

From what I understand, those profiles also contain a stated preference for colour model (YUV, RGB, Y[random set of letters]) and then the OS should feed it that signal, but it seems that sometimes it just can't, or won't, or send it “the wrong way” and you get those flickering issues. By manually assigning a profile, you also manually assign the colour mode, and you can actively pick one that works rather than rely on the device-to-device conversation automating things.

I've seen something like that issue crop up with TVs, in particular, because they try to be clever and have “theatre modes” that adjust the brightness and colour settings depending on the content — this means altering the colour profile on the fly. Almost universally in my experience, this cleverness ends up being very stupid and force-feeding it the settings you want is the only solution.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 9, 2022

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I had issues with my work provided dell monitor and M1 MacBook Pro and random USB-C cables picking up interference or something and causing the screen to flicker off for a second until I bought an apple branded thunderbolt cable and have had zero problems since. Expensive rear end cable, but zero issues after switching and I was tired of playing experiments with other cable games.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm using a CalDigit TS4 combined with the AmazonBasics USB-C > DisplayPort cable into my KVM and it works just fine for my dual monitor support

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081VKXFSC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

💩💩💩 Apple's pinching out all the updates today - 💩💩💩

macOS Monterey 12.6
macOS Big Sur 11.7
Safari 16.0

Apple posted:

macOS Big Sur 11.7

This update provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Apple posted:

Safari 16

Safari 16 introduces new features, even faster performance, and improved security, such as:

• Tab Group start pages let you add different background images and favorites for each Tab Group
• Pinned tabs in Tab Groups enable you to pin frequently visited websites for each Tab Group
• Tabs in the sidebar let you see a list view of your open tabs
• Settings you’ve set for specific websites now sync across devices
• Strong password editing lets you adjust strong passwords to meet website-specific requirements

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Still waiting for update to finish, it's doing that dumb double boot where it only tells you how much time is remaining on the second boot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there any software and/or process to capture an image of a Mac for deployment purposes?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Is there any software and/or process to capture an image of a Mac for deployment purposes?

Like a disk image?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have a question about Messages: when I get a spam text on my phone, I can go to the caller's info and block the caller. But in MacOS's Messages, this option doesn't seem to exist which is annoying as hell. Is there a command I'm missing or is it just not an option?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have a question about Messages: when I get a spam text on my phone, I can go to the caller's info and block the caller. But in MacOS's Messages, this option doesn't seem to exist which is annoying as hell. Is there a command I'm missing or is it just not an option?

Messages> Preferences > iMessage then select Blocked tab to the right of Settings

then add the number / address you want to block manually with the + sign

edit: my blocklist blacked out because, well, don't think it's a good idea to advertise what numbers I block to the entire internet

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 15, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That works but too bad it's far more of a pain in the rear end to do than in iOS. Thanks!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Last Chance posted:

Like a disk image?

Pretty much, yeah.

More context: Currently we're a Windows environment with Active Directory, MDT, all that jazz. I don't manage it - just a grunt. But we're going to start providing more support to people who want to purchase a Mac (and absolutely refuse to use Windows - these are researchers and professors, they bring in money, hard to say no). Before we just did it manually but we want to start managing these. They think they got the manage part down but gonna take a couple weeks to tweak. We're now looking at a somewhat quick way to image them - have Office installed, antivirus, etc etc. Cost doesn't really matter too much but I am coming up empty in my searches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It’s not really a thing in MacOS anymore.

Spend the few dollars per month on Jamf and have it run through a litany of configuration and software install tasks on enrollment.