Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Oh man, $350 trade in value for the Pixel. Sounds like an easy way to unload my locked bootloader for a fresh new glass rectangle. I hope that value holds into the Pixel 2 launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Oh man, $350 trade in value for the Pixel. Sounds like an easy way to unload my locked bootloader for a fresh new glass rectangle. I hope that value holds into the Pixel 2 launch.

If you've been doing monthly payments on your Pixel since launch last year, you should have about $350 left on the phone. Seems like you just roll your old Pixel into a new one and keep roughly the same payment.

edit - No loving way I'm touching any phone made by LG again.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 28, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

If you've been doing monthly payments on your Pixel since launch last year, you should have about $350 left on the phone. Seems like you just roll your old Pixel into a new one and keep roughly the same payment.

edit - No loving way I'm touching any phone made by LG again.

In my case, this is a refurb I paid about $450 for just a few months back when Woot had them. Found the locked bootloader after a few weeks, must have been a Verizon phone in a past life. Not a bad tradeup for $400 I think.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
The trade in value on this basically brand new pixel XL Google gave me for my 6p has me very tempted to trade up to the Pixel 2 XL .

I feel like all the people complaining about it being LG are forgetting how buying the 6p from Google allowed tons of people to get a pixel replacement on a 2 year old phone. That has given me enough confidence to most likely take the plunge.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Does the Pixel's Camera even go above what free unlimited photo backup offers? Isn't it above the MP limit of most phones currently?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The free tier compresses your photos. It's a good compression, but still it's not as high of a quality as you get without the compression.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
How's the G6 been on bootloops? I'd like to hope that since all the bad press came to a head that they might have finally fixed their poo poo

Right now Im still shooting for the little Pixel but that big one does look nice

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think these new folding phones are a good thing. I think trying new things and innovation is a good thing (that's why we all have big phones now). I can imagine situations where having 2 apps on separate screens would be great. And unfolding to have a huge screen for video and games would also be good. I want to believe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Decius posted:

Edit: And I doubt they have only eSim on the Pixel 2 XL, like Apple they will provide both for quite some time I think.
I sure hope so, because the only information I can find about my provider and eSIM is some fleeting mention in an interview on an industry website in relation to the Gear 2 smartwatch.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Arcon posted:

How's the G6 been on bootloops? I'd like to hope that since all the bad press came to a head that they might have finally fixed their poo poo.

Bootloops aren't an LG thing, they're a Nexus 5X thing.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I'm way late on this but the emoji in Oreo are a loving trash fire and I can't believe this is what will make me root my phone

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Now there are rumors that Google is going to release BT earbuds priced in the 150€ range. Hopefully with support for the latest BT standard and codecs, for that price. And the Jaybird X3 form factor.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

No, they're an LG thing. In fact, the Nexus 5x is an LG thing too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

No, they're an LG thing. In fact, the Nexus 5x is an LG thing too.

Which LG phones aside from the 5X are notorious for bootlooping?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So I have a thing in my company where I must spend some money they gave me on a phone (it's a tax thing). I have around 700€ to spend and I'm in Portugal, and it must be only one phone.

What's the best thing I can buy for 700€? Eurogoons help me (I guess I can order from Amazon IT ES FR UK anyway). I've been looking into the S8, the bezelless screen just makes me go uhnggg. Any suggestions?

Also the LG V30 looks gorgeous but apparently it's going to be 900 €?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Incessant Excess posted:

Which LG phones aside from the 5X are notorious for bootlooping?

It has its own Wikipedia article.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
On top of that, wasn't there a goon a few weeks back who bought a LG G6 and wound up returning it three times because two of them had a collection of grime wedged between the front glass and the LED panel and the other one had a dull shot display? Can someone link back to that?

Regardless, LG has had lovely manufacturing processes for a while now. If the non-xl version is made by HTC that's probably what I'm buying this year, that or the HTC u11 Life when it comes out under the Android One moniker.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Incessant Excess posted:

It's so much of an LG thing that they promise a two year warranty on the G6 to try to reassure customers that they didn't gently caress it up this time.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I mean, of you want an anecdote, I have a G6 in my hands that I've been using for the past month+ and it has been more than fine.

I haven't had it long enough for it to actually potentially bootloop, or heard of any bootlooping yet, but I also have another 22 months where if that happens, it's covered.

e: I would buy the XL2 directly from Google to be safe, but also wouldn't worry so much about it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 29, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well like I said the G6 is the one they claim to be finally fixed

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Well how about that, it really isn't just the 5X. Hopefully LG claiming they've sorted things out at this point holds true and the XL 2 will be fine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

orange sky posted:

So I have a thing in my company where I must spend some money they gave me on a phone (it's a tax thing). I have around 700€ to spend and I'm in Portugal, and it must be only one phone.

What's the best thing I can buy for 700€? Eurogoons help me (I guess I can order from Amazon IT ES FR UK anyway). I've been looking into the S8, the bezelless screen just makes me go uhnggg. Any suggestions?

Also the LG V30 looks gorgeous but apparently it's going to be 900 €?
Looks like 700€ does buy you a Pixel or Pixel XL on a variety of those EU Amazon sites. Thead insists those are good phones. Possibly not as pretty? :shrug:

I don't think you'll find more of a consensus on what to buy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can I trade in multiple phones? I still have my 3rd replaced 5x sitting in a box.

Actually I have a whole stack of Androids going back to 2010 that I should get rid of or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Well how about that, it really isn't just the 5X. Hopefully LG claiming they've sorted things out at this point holds true and the XL 2 will be fine.

They definitely fixed the problem. When they made the G2x, they were hit with a multimillion dollar judgement against them in a class action lawsuit. This time they forced everyone into arbitration and had to pay nothing.

The problem of them losing money because they manufacture garbage has been solved.

The problem some people have of owning LG devices, well, the court has ruled that idiots are not given protection from their broken brains under the law. Caveat emptor, bitch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not likely to keep the next Pixel past the warranty period, especially with the trade in program, so IDGAF.

As far as getting rid of old phones, swappa is great for newer stuff that has value, but Glyde is great for just clearing out the closet for stuff you just want to get rid of and get SOMETHING. They manage all the communication and shipping and no pictures are necessary so it's very very low effort.

I got like $35 in my pocket for a Moto Xoom a month ago, so anything is sellable.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 29, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The problem some people have of owning LG devices, well, the court has ruled that idiots are not given protection from their broken brains under the law. Caveat emptor, bitch.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Arcon posted:

How's the G6 been on bootloops? I'd like to hope that since all the bad press came to a head that they might have finally fixed their poo poo

Right now Im still shooting for the little Pixel but that big one does look nice

FWIW I have not yet had any issues with my G6 and there haven't been any major reports of bootlooping. Having said that, with LG's recent track record I wouldn't recommend it unless you're willing to put up with the possibility of failure despite it being an otherwise solid device.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

With the other phones it didn't start happening until 6 months to a year after initial release

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arcon posted:

Jury's still out on that one.

Even if it doesn't, it'll probably never see Oreo, anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Not likely to keep the next Pixel past the warranty period, especially with the trade in program, so IDGAF.

As far as getting rid of old phones, swappa is great for newer stuff that has value, but Glyde is great for just clearing out the closet for stuff you just want to get rid of and get SOMETHING. They manage all the communication and shipping and no pictures are necessary so it's very very low effort.

I got like $35 in my pocket for a Moto Xoom a month ago, so anything is sellable.

Yeah, this is me.

I normally advocate for waiting months after a device is released to get it, but I want to get maximum monies out of this free Pixel XL I got as a replace for my 6P.

Depending on what the Pixel 2 is actually like I'll do the trade in very soon, possibly for the LG-manufactured one.

I won't keep the thing past its warranty period anyway, and there's a not-ridiculous argument that it won't be typical LG shenanigans because of the role of Google in its manufacturing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The ported Pixel camera app with HDR+ and other fun things has been updated.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-hdr-customization-raw-support/

Works on OnePlus 3/5, LG G6/V20, Galaxy S8, Mi5s, and also works on all twelve Essential phones sold.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For the addicts here in the thread reliability is admittedly less of an issue but for the general consumer it's just bad advice to recommend an LG. Not just because of reliability but mainly because for the prices they're asking you can get a Samsung or Pixel.

Still even the trade in I can't see swapping my Pixel XL for a Pixel 2 XL. Because my Pixel XL is great, secondly because you know the next Pixels will have Qi charging again, but mainly because even Google's telling me up front that Really Blue is way more blue than Kinda Blue. You just can't argue in favor of something that's kinda something when you've already got something that's really that thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Will it be LG handling the returns when the P2 XL starts bootlooping? Or will it be Google and through some miracle I would be able to get a regular Pixel 2 and a refund for the difference?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

secondly because you know the next Pixels will have Qi charging again

That's one thing making a part of me want to hold off this year, because the next gen will be their response to the iPhone X, etc

oh who the gently caress am I kidding, I get a new phone every 6 months anyways

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Will it be LG handling the returns when the P2 XL starts bootlooping? Or will it be Google

Google. This isn't like the Nexus; LG and HTC are to Pixels like Foxconn is to Apple. Google has compete responsibility.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

True but they sure as poo poo won't let you switch to the HTC Pixel if you have the LG Pixel.

That was another reason I'm waiting that I left out: I really like how well built both HTCs I've had were. The Nexus One was, in the end, my favorite Nexus and I speak highly enough of the feel of the HTC Pixel.

(I will admit the second best Nexus I had was the Nexus 5 which was an LG and even though it never worked properly and lacked a notification light I'll always have a soft spot for the feel of the Nexus S.)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
If there's one thing to be said about HTC it's that their build quality is top notch.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gimme a good reason not to order the Xiaomi Redmi 4X right now for a paltry $215 CAD WITH!! express shipping

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

codo27 posted:

Gimme a good reason not to order the Xiaomi Redmi 4X right now for a paltry $215 CAD WITH!! express shipping

Look at the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

codo27 posted:

Not sure where you're looking but the Note 4 is generally a much better offer as you at least get a SD 625 in that.