Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Zelda 2 is kicking my rear end but I'm also much worse at platform/action games then I used to be. So it could just be me being bad. Anything that throws poo poo at you while backing away is murdering me, like the blue knights with the maces you can't block in palace 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Final Fantasy IX

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kongming posted:

Zelda 2 is kicking my rear end but I'm also much worse at platform/action games then I used to be. So it could just be me being bad. Anything that throws poo poo at you while backing away is murdering me, like the blue knights with the maces you can't block in palace 3.

Nah it's pretty hard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Beat the dw7 super boss on the exact number of turns allowed to receive a prize, on the first try. Feel very powerful right now. Can't wait to do it 2 more times. I have no idea what lays beyond the 2nd postgame pedestal, I never did it in the remake/I'm not sure if it's actually in the remake

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
picking up sekiro for the third time. im gonna do it this time!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

croup coughfield posted:

You can do it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

croup coughfield posted:

i believe in you

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think you’ll lose if you don’t go to the Games mega thread right away and ask for beginners tips.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I think you’ll lose if you don’t go to the Games mega thread right away and ask for beginners tips.

Ayup.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

but seriously, sekiro fuckin owns. hope you're able to stick with it this time, :dogecheer:. since it's your third attempt i can at least give some minor advice, i think[*]Almost everything in the game can be Deflected (parried). It's better to time your Deflects a bit too early rather than a bit too late as the window is relatively lenient and being too quick means you'll still at least block any normal attacks.[*]Keep on the offensive! Sekiro is a game about keeping up a relentless attack and deflecting enemy hits inbetween your own strikes without letting your foes regain their Posture. Playing overly defensively will generally only make things more difficult and make fights take much longer than they have to.[*]There are no negative repercussions to repeated self-reviving, so make full use of it.[*]Hanbei the Undying provides you with some combat tutorials, with more opening up when new mechanics come up. These are all worth doing at least once.[*]You recover Posture faster while blocking, and both you and enemies recover Posture slower while at low health. Shurikens are one good way to keep enemies from regenerating Posture from a distance.[*]You can hold down the attack button for a charged-up stab.[*]Experiment with your Shinobi Tools, many difficult fights can be made easier by using the right tool at the right time. You can use them pretty freely, though note that the cost of buying Spirit Emblems does go up as you progress.[*]Use your candy items if you're struggling as the buffs they provide are quite potent. The Temple Arts latent skill Devotion increases their duration by 50% which can be a worthy investment.[*]Though limited in availability until late in the game, the apparition-slaying Divine Confetti item also increases damage dealt against all enemies. All apparitions in the game are (usually optional) bosses, so if you encounter one you can't seem to scratch at all, Confetti might do the trick.[/spoiler] oOops. Spoilers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lolling a lot at "Hanbei the Undying Provides Combat Tutorials" for some reason

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

but seriously, sekiro fuckin owns. hope you're able to stick with it this time, :dogecheer:. since it's your third attempt i can at least give some minor advice, i think[*]Almost everything in the game can be Deflected (parried). It's better to time your Deflects a bit too early rather than a bit too late as the window is relatively lenient and being too quick means you'll still at least block any normal attacks.[*]Keep on the offensive! Sekiro is a game about keeping up a relentless attack and deflecting enemy hits inbetween your own strikes without letting your foes regain their Posture. Playing overly defensively will generally only make things more difficult and make fights take much longer than they have to.[*]There are no negative repercussions to repeated self-reviving, so make full use of it.[*]Hanbei the Undying provides you with some combat tutorials, with more opening up when new mechanics come up. These are all worth doing at least once.[*]You recover Posture faster while blocking, and both you and enemies recover Posture slower while at low health. Shurikens are one good way to keep enemies from regenerating Posture from a distance.[*]You can hold down the attack button for a charged-up stab.[*]Experiment with your Shinobi Tools, many difficult fights can be made easier by using the right tool at the right time. You can use them pretty freely, though note that the cost of buying Spirit Emblems does go up as you progress.[*]Use your candy items if you're struggling as the buffs they provide are quite potent. The Temple Arts latent skill Devotion increases their duration by 50% which can be a worthy investment.[*]Though limited in availability until late in the game, the apparition-slaying Divine Confetti item also increases damage dealt against all enemies. All apparitions in the game are (usually optional) bosses, so if you encounter one you can't seem to scratch at all, Confetti might do the trick.[/spoiler] oOops. Spoilers

Protip: Read this then watch the end credits on YouTube and save yourself some time.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
arigato

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

In Training posted:

lol

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Toad will teach you the basics of timed hits and perfect guards.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Hizke posted:

Toad will teach you the basics of timed hits and perfect guards.

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Once Toad teaches you the basics of timed hits, you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Happy new year, imps!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Little early for me, but happy new year Major

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

Little early for me, but happy new year Major

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
elf help book got me on the microsoft solitaire and i'm addicted now, going back doing all the dailies

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

All that's left for me in Zelda 2 is the final run to the Great Palace and the palace itself. Hell of a ride so far.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i started playing Sable which has been sitting on my hard drive since the gog thanks giveing sale. pretty chill. runs buttery smooth on a 20 core i11 sandy"peterson"river cpu oc to 8khz on each core, + 4 foot long 4080 commercial grade gpu that only set me back 5000 dollars, which was 2000 less than a 3060ti. nice! the bike is cool but the jumping feels very "indy game janky" but since nothing seems to require precision platforming + you can climb everything so a weird floaty jump isn't the worst thing in the world.

wIll probably play some indie rogue crap later with the sound muted so i can have it on one screen and zeldathon on the other twu

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i played through megeman 5 again and got to protoman stage 2 without dying or using an e-tank. then i died 6 times to all sorts of stupid poo poo before the end

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

heehee posted:

elf help book got me on the microsoft solitaire and i'm addicted now, going back doing all the dailies

👍

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i shall be playing online slots tonight

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harambe the Undying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

more DQ7 post game tonight + pizza. maybe ill be able to close the book on this game before midnight. happy new years all, here's to 2022 being even more Awesome.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

gently caress those new c-words that means they're white dudes but like to watch when they're wife has sex with a different colored person while they watch. scope out the primp zone's very own souls megathread + hit up the fextra wiki, subscribe to the fextralife patreon, watch fextralife stream, sub to the fextralife stream, and use the tier 3 fextralife sub FextraPogMonkaSunbro and actually level up your game.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Harambe the Undying

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

i started playing Sable which has been sitting on my hard drive since the gog thanks giveing sale. pretty chill. runs buttery smooth on a 20 core i11 sandy"peterson"river cpu oc to 8khz on each core, + 4 foot long 4080 commercial grade gpu that only set me back 5000 dollars, which was 2000 less than a 3060ti. nice! the bike is cool but the jumping feels very "indy game janky" but since nothing seems to require precision platforming + you can climb everything so a weird floaty jump isn't the worst thing in the world.

wIll probably play some indie rogue crap later with the sound muted so i can have it on one screen and zeldathon on the other twu

Sable is fun but the on foot stuff is really bad in parts. The ancient spaceships you can explore have launchers that, without exaggeration, 9 times out of 10 just go straight through the main character or shove them gently to the side and deposit them back on the floor of the room. The developers acknowledged this bug a year ago but suggest just not doing those bits if it bothers you

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Played some Alan Wake this morning, then started Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. Kind of thinking about starting Greedfall just for something new but maybe I’ll wait until after finishing AW

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dungeon encounters is sick. got extremely humbled by running into a lv90 encounter and failing to run away, losing my whole crew. now ive gotta go rescue them

happy nye, imps

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

gently caress those new c-words that means they're white dudes but like to watch when they're wife has sex with a different colored person while they watch. scope out the primp zone's very own souls megathread + hit up the fextra wiki, subscribe to the fextralife patreon, watch fextralife stream, sub to the fextralife stream, and use the tier 3 fextralife sub FextraPogMonkaSunbro and actually level up your game.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010