Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Theta Zero posted:

Well, they borked Roadhog's hook in PTR on top of nerfing D.Va, so...

Well......That's not 100% true. Hook 2.0 terrible, but 2.1 is actually a little better; it's just going to take some getting used to. Also, with the new hook/D.va nerfs, Roadhog can de-mech a full D.va with a single hook combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

See again this is an attitude I don't get. Nothing about Pharah forces you to float around slowly out in the open. You can pop out from cover and use one of her two powerful escape abilities or just drop back down if you start taking flak.

Long range hitscan is borderline mandatory to beat Pharah but she's not an easy target to hit if played well.

I see people bring that up all the time and it doesn't make a lot of sense. you don't have fly in a straight line for hitscan to work on you. it's not hard to hit the floating target with your no spread 2 shots per second hitscan gun before she runs away

even if you don't kill her, it doesn't particularly matter since she can't do anything while you're there looking at her. mccree does 70/140 damage. you can kill her in 2-3 hits (and leave her very scared of other people finishing her off), so she can't just do whatever while you're there. discord brings that up to 91/182, which is insane. pharah peeks, gets shot, has to run away for a while. she can't get close to do what she wants to if you're there, and spamming rockets from a billion miles away in the safety of your cover is utterly worthless. you're not helping your team if you spend most of the match hiding from the mccree. discord alone changes the way you can play a lot because you're a much easier target than anything else. that's why mercy used to glue herself to pharah; the damage boost is nice but what she really wants is the sustain. every game mode is based around timers, so the longer one of your players spends not helping is less time you have to win the map. all you need to do as mccree is exist to change the way pharah can play any situation and that's big. every second you stall for is important. that means that making one of the players on the other team play more cautiously is huge. stalling a push because you headshot the pharah is great. killing the other team is great (and mccree's good at killing pharah), but you don't always have to do that to stop the other team

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Sounds like Pharah's underpowered, to me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd say shes in a decent place. She's a strong pick, but with strong counters who just isn't super meta right now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that's true. we'll see what happens when the changes go through tho

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

patch notes for today:

that oasis change :catstare:

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
yeah the passing car sfx was pretty obtrusive; A good change :haw:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
great news friends! i placed at 2700!~

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Well......That's not 100% true. Hook 2.0 terrible, but 2.1 is actually a little better; it's just going to take some getting used to. Also, with the new hook/D.va nerfs, Roadhog can de-mech a full D.va with a single hook combo.
So, D.Va is now hard countered by two of the other tanks.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Bleck posted:

Sounds like Pharah's underpowered, to me.

I think it really depends on if you're on console or not. She's pretty strong on console, right now 6 of the top 10 players play her regularly.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

patch notes for today:

that oasis change :catstare:

I'm legit upset about that change, it was a cool feature and let me hold it alone forever as lucio since so many people are unaware of it.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Capping from the second platform sounded like an interesting mechanic if more players were aware of it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I think it really depends on if you're on console or not. She's pretty strong on console, right now 6 of the top 10 players play her regularly.

I'm legit upset about that change, it was a cool feature and let me hold it alone forever as lucio since so many people are unaware of it.
Yeah - I thought that holding above the point was a cool and intended strategic wrinkle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - I thought that holding above the point was a cool and intended strategic wrinkle.

Just a cool and unintended strategic wrinkle.

Welcome to my world. :getin:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the fun police roll through town once again.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I honestly believe the 1.7.0 Roadhog changes are a net positive for him, but we'll see. Roadhog absolutely cannot de-mech a full D.va with a Hook + full M1 crit + melee sequence, unless you're counting an M2 shot before the hook.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If you're not m2 hooking then you should reevaluate playing hog at all

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'll admit, with new hook changes, I'm looking forward to hook 2.1. Yeah, I won't be getting as many bullshit hooks, but I can kill Ana's consistently without getting punished by sleep/nade and not having to do as much bullshit strafe maneuvering to ensure that I get close enough

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I know. But I said that before the patch with 2.1 is dropped.

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what

Thor-Stryker posted:

You do the same thing you would do against any turret heavy composition, go Junkrat or Pharah and plaster everything with explosives.

HINT: There's a shortcut that can be scaled by multiple classes:

Can anyone recommend a decent resource out there with map breakdowns with potentially overlooked shortcuts/breakdowns etc like this for maps and other gameplay elements that may be overlooked? I've been watching YouTube/Twitch and learning plenty but I am curious if there is a repository that has lots of good reading material.

Edit: The answer is Gamepedia.

Sturmtiger IV fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 13, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
removing the high ground cap on that oasis level is dumb, and I don't even believe it was a bug how the hell would they have missed that

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

If Pharah was really a dominant character and neither Soldier or McCree were any good then what would happen is you would see an uptick in Widowmaker usage. More Zenyatta too, it wasn't just McCree getting his single-shot falloff reduced that put a crimp in her style, it was that plus orb of discord. I don't really think she's the lynchpin of anything tbh.

Pharah's just really awkward balance-wise because characters are either easily able to destroy her or barely able to even hit her at all, with not much middle ground.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bliz doesn't know how to make projectile damage characters and hitscan damage characters both strong at the same time, except for I guess that point in time where Tracer+Genji were really common together because of old zen+old sym but that was a wild time in general

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

bliz doesn't know how to make projectile damage characters and hitscan damage characters both strong at the same time, except for I guess that point in time where Tracer+Genji were really common together because of old zen+old sym but that was a wild time in general

Doing an actual proper hitbox reform -- for hitscan and projectile heroes both -- while simultaneously increasing most if not all of the projectile speeds in the game would go a long way.

In a few cases buffing splash damage might also help but that's a risky business.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Doing an actual proper hitbox reform -- for hitscan and projectile heroes both -- while simultaneously increasing most if not all of the projectile speeds in the game would go a long way.

In a few cases buffing splash damage might also help but that's a risky business.

Why would you do this when you could make arbitrary hitboxes for projectiles while simultaneously buffing only hitscan classes?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

the problem isn't projectiles; the problem is pharah spends most of her time hovering in midair. anywhere that she can do decent damage to the other team is also gonna be in view of the hitscan players, which is why she struggles

and keep in mind that when soldier was the only real hitscan choice is also the same point where pharah was at her strongest. they were both everywhere but soldier alone couldn't stop her because his burst damage is poor

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Focusing Pharah isn't a one man job you leave to Soldier. Ana and Zen are also great counters and should be working with teammates to discord and cap her.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Born of a conversation with a friend: how does it change the game if Rein's shield has a limited duration and a cooldown? (Bonus: what if it has a duration and cooldown but infinite health?)

My response: it basically nerfs Rein into the ground and kills most current strategies, but it also makes him a more interesting character with a situational right-click - depending, of course, on how long the duration is. If the shield has infinite health, the duration has to be really short (or the cooldown very long) in order to not make it unbalanced.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 13, 2017

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
It becomes d.va's defense matrix before it was changed and was bad probably.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

What was her defense matrix pre-nerf? Unlimited charge but a long-ish cooldown?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

What was her defense matrix pre-nerf? Unlimited charge but a long-ish cooldown?

Nah, it's the same as it is now except she didn't have to wait between turning it off and turning it back on again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nerf rein by making junkrat do double damage to barrier shield things

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, it's the same as it is now except she didn't have to wait between turning it off and turning it back on again.

To clarify, original Defense Matrix was a single-click ability that lasted four seconds and had a 10 second cooldown or thereabouts, the difference was that it wasn't on a toggle...you used the whole four seconds up without stopping and then had to wait the full 10 seconds to use it again. Shooting would prematurely cancel the matrix but you'd still have a 10 second cooldown.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Reinhardt is a toughie to balance by just outright nerfing his shield directly. If they added a trade-off for the shield of some kind, it would help make Reinhardt a less "mandatory" hero in games. As in, a trade-off that isn't just you not having the shield.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Psst Rein shouldn't exist of you don't want your game to be a lovely cover based shooter. But but you can flank Rein and... sort of maybe if there isn't a healer do damage to him. I know I'm in for a lovely unfun game when I see Rein and Dva. Oh and gently caress Zarya and her always up shield.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Theta Zero posted:

Reinhardt is a toughie to balance by just outright nerfing his shield directly. If they added a trade-off for the shield of some kind, it would help make Reinhardt a less "mandatory" hero in games. As in, a trade-off that isn't just you not having the shield.

I think if there was a better counter to him maybe that would help? Like the only thing that really messes him up is another Reinhardt.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think if there was a better counter to him maybe that would help? Like the only thing that really messes him up is another Reinhardt.

That's what I was thinking, but there's a whole bunch of balance shenanigans once you throw that into the mix.

Not saying that's a bad thing. It would be hilarious just watching team comps get turned on its head because you make Junkrat do quad damage to Reinhardt shields. Or let Sombra hack through them.

Actually that last one doesn't sound like a bad idea, now that I think of it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The second one was accidentally on ptr for a week. I think junkrat needs a nudge up. I swear by him, but I know he has real limits. He needs just a bit more to shine and not be edged out o the sixth slot.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The second one was accidentally on ptr for a week. I think junkrat needs a nudge up. I swear by him, but I know he has real limits. He needs just a bit more to shine and not be edged out o the sixth slot.

i wish junkrat's ult was half as good as dva's is. this is a bit of a whiny post but man i get cranky when i think about how bad his ult is.

like, both dva's and junkrat's ults do *basically* the same thing. send out a thing that explodes.

dva's ult advantages:

--does 1000 damage
--has ginormous radius
--can't be killed
--can pretty much place it where you want it with a bit of practice
--doesn't kill the dva who cast it
--if she survives the 3 seconds she's out of mech she gets a full 600 hp back, no matter what happens with the exploding mech
--she can use the ult even when her mech dies, and gets a new free mech out of it
--dva can still move and attack with her pistol while out of mech

dva's ult disadvantages:

--don't have perfect control over where it goes
--very obvious call out and visual triangle indicator of where it is
--baby dva only has 150hp and loses meka abilities
--can be charged/hooked to move it out of the way

junkrat's ult advantages:

--fine-tuned control over where it goes
--it goes up waaaaaaaaaaaalls

junkrat's ult disadvantages

--only 600 damage, aka not enough to actually de-mech a full hp dva (armor leaves her with 5hp, aka unless she's already being shot ana will just heal her right back up)
--tiny loving radius with ridiculous falloff (only does full damage if you're basically under their feet)
--tire only has 100 hp and dies to a light breeze
--kills junkrat
--junkrat is completely immobile and vulnerable for up to 10 seconds while the tire is out
--loud call out and engine noise and glowing red tire visual
--if the tire dies, literally nothing happens

like with all of the buffs that dva has been getting since launch there's no reason that junkrat's ult should still be as bad as it is. i think they could buff any ONE of the things i listed as disadvantages of the tire and make it good. let the tire do 1000 damage. OR double the explosion/falloff radius. OR let it have 125 or 150 health. OR let it not kill the junkrat who cast it. give it something. gently caress.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 13, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If the map design was better then yeah, you could flank rein and bully him out/prevent him from advancing. As it is you get hard chokes where it's literally impossible to flank for most characters, and the characters who can flank are bad in the current meta.

(To hammer home the point: back in the dive comp meta, when classes that reasonably could get behind the shield were popular, rein wasn't a must-pick. He was still the default choice for a tank, but there were plenty of no-rein comps that could push him well and take advantage of his lack of mobility)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i wish junkrat's ult was half as good as dva's is. this is a bit of a whiny post but man i get cranky when i think about how bad his ult is.

like, both dva's and junkrat's ults do *basically* the same thing. send out a thing that explodes.

dva's ult advantages:

--does 1000 damage
--has ginormous radius
--can't be killed
--can pretty much place it where you want it with a bit of practice
--doesn't kill the dva who cast it
--if she survives the 3 seconds she's out of mech she gets a full 600 hp back, no matter what happens with the exploding mech
--she can use the ult even when her mech dies, and gets a new free mech out of it
--dva can still move and attack with her pistol while out of mech

dva's ult disadvantages:

--don't have perfect control over where it goes
--very obvious call out and visual triangle indicator of where it is
--baby dva only has 150hp and loses meka abilities
--can be charged/hooked to move it out of the way

junkrat's ult advantages:

--fine-tuned control over where it goes
--it goes up waaaaaaaaaaaalls

junkrat's ult disadvantages

--only 600 damage, aka not enough to actually de-mech a full hp dva (armor leaves her with 5hp, aka unless she's already being shot ana will just heal her right back up)
--tiny loving radius with ridiculous falloff (only does full damage if you're basically under their feet)
--tire only has 100 hp and dies to a light breeze
--kills junkrat
--junkrat is completely immobile and vulnerable for up to 10 seconds while the tire is out
--loud call out and engine noise and glowing red tire visual
--if the tire dies, literally nothing happens

like with all of the buffs that dva has been getting since launch there's no reason that junkrat's ult should still be as bad as it is. i think they could buff any ONE of the things i listed as disadvantages of the tire and make it good. let the tire do 1000 damage. OR double the explosion/falloff radius. OR let it have 125 or 150 health. OR let it not kill the junkrat who cast it. give it something. gently caress.

You didn't whine enough about your hook so blizzard doesn't care