Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Liquid Communism posted:

I still think the most illustrative part of how this was going to go was the immediate police reaction. They rolled up looking for an active shooter and waved off/shot pepper rounds at Rittenhouse when he approached because a white kid out cosplaying militiaman like their buddies obviously wasn't the shooter.

Well, yes, a black dude with an AR in the same scenario would've been shot on sight, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I dunno but if i saw that statute I'd probably say fifty nine point eighteen point 280 one bee two, for example. We probably have a Washington lawyer who can tell you better but i like to give uninformed opinions.

Georgia - which uses a similar “OCGA 11-69-420” format just says “oh see gee ay eleven sixty-nine four twenty” in these situations.

That is read the letters and then just the numbers, ignore the hyphens (or in Washington I guess the periods).

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, yes, a black dude with an AR in the same scenario would've been shot on sight, absolutely.

That's more a criticism of cops than of self defense law. There was a black guy at a protest, Jaleel Stallings, who fired back against an unmarked van firing indiscriminately into the crowd. They turned out to be cops. He surrendered and was promptly beaten pretty badly and charged with attempted murder - and was acquitted by a jury on self-defense grounds.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
“His eye socket was fractured in the beating that followed, with officers later claiming he resisted arrest.”

There are multiple videos showing he obviously surrendered and laid down on the ground and they beat the gently caress out of him anyway. First cop who came up on him wound up and just kicked him in the head. Just absolute liars. All cops should wear cameras at all times.

E:

quote:

SWAT officers were patrolling Lake Street in an unmarked white van to “control the crowds that were causing severe property damage” when they came upon a group near 14th Avenue.

While several people dispersed, Stallings stepped out from behind a pickup, walked toward the officers and crouched by the driver’s side door as if to pick up something.

The officers, concerned that he was planning to throw debris or rocks at them, fired a 40-mm marking round at Stallings, who fired “three to four shots in the direction of the officers, narrowly missing them,” according to the criminal complaint. (The complaint said officers “deployed one 40-mm round at Stallings” even though officers fired two rounds before Stallings returned fire.)

Stallings “quickly ran away” and was handcuffed “after a struggle,” according to a press release issued by Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, who said Stallings was charged for “shooting at police officers amidst riots and protests” and “firing multiple shots at SWAT officers during riots.”

“None of the officers, nor Stallings, were injured,” the release said, even though Stallings’ bruised, scraped face on his mugshot clearly indicates otherwise, and he was taken to a hospital after his arrest.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 21, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ulmont posted:

Georgia - which uses a similar “OCGA 11-69-420” format just says “oh see gee ay eleven sixty-nine four twenty” in these situations.

That is read the letters and then just the numbers, ignore the hyphens (or in Washington I guess the periods).

I had a case where i had to cite Texas Property Code 21.0111(a)(2) a lot (or something similar). Saying "twenty one point oh one one one ay two" got old

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain von Trapp posted:

That's more a criticism of cops than of self defense law. There was a black guy at a protest, Jaleel Stallings, who fired back against an unmarked van firing indiscriminately into the crowd. They turned out to be cops. He surrendered and was promptly beaten pretty badly and charged with attempted murder - and was acquitted by a jury on self-defense grounds.

This is a paper distinction not a practical one. One of the major root issues here is who gets to claim self defense and who gets extrajudicially murdered. When cops or right wingers kill people, they get to claim self defense, or even just outright get the laws changed to make their murdering legal, while black and poor and left-wing people acting in self defense just get murdered and their murderers seldom face justice.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I had a case where i had to cite Texas Property Code 21.0111(a)(2) a lot (or something similar). Saying "twenty one point oh one one one ay two" got old

Can’t you do like traffic controllers and abbreviate to “ay two” at some point?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yes, definitely.

Your honor were gonna uhhhh need to clear uhhh to statute ay two.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Stupid question prompted by a few posts in the Trump thread: A group of workers decides their employer is terrible and coordinate their resignations specifically to cause as much disruption to the business as possible. Could they be charged with something or targeted by a civil suit?

Assuming this is a case of 'hey this place sucks, let's all give our two week notices at the same time and hopefully they'll be forced to close down', but otherwise doing their jobs to the best of their ability until they leave without any attempt to negotiate better conditions or to use this as bargaining tool.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
At will employment means at will.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean tortious interference ? I guess ? No not really

Maybe fraud if there were some misrepresentations but .. eh

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Outrail posted:

Stupid question prompted by a few posts in the Trump thread: A group of workers decides their employer is terrible and coordinate their resignations specifically to cause as much disruption to the business as possible. Could they be charged with something or targeted by a civil suit?

Assuming this is a case of 'hey this place sucks, let's all give our two week notices at the same time and hopefully they'll be forced to close down', but otherwise doing their jobs to the best of their ability until they leave without any attempt to negotiate better conditions or to use this as bargaining tool.

No. The closest claim the business owner would have would be Tortious interference, but that requires the interference in question to be improper - as long as everyone abides by their notice periods and works effectively up till the final day then they haven't done anything wrong.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

euphronius posted:

I mean tortious interference ? I guess ? No not really

Maybe fraud if there were some misrepresentations but .. eh

To extend this:

Could a group of people all coordinate getting a job at the same place with the sole intent of collectively walking off the job at the most inconvenient time possible?

Like me and 20 of my BFFs get a job at Target specifically to walk out on Black Friday.

Assume that you can prove intent, i.e. text messages or e-mails or something, but they never lied to Target about anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are going deep into the Restatement on Torts and I don’t have a copy anymore

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DaveSauce posted:

To extend this:

This was going to be my follow up question.

Only needs to happen a few times before there's a law against it.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
This is not a legal answer, but it's hard to imagine a gaggle of corporate lawyers would cost less than what Target could possibly hope to recover from floor-level retail employees.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

you're never gonna get that many people to quit their jobs at the dick sucking factory all at once

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

At will employment means at will.

Without taking a view on whether a coordinated quit action is legal (I have no idea), the fact that the employment is at will doesn’t mean that there can’t be an issue related to employment - for example, it isn’t legal for an employer to fire people for being Black or for being Muslim, even if they’re employed at will.

Yes, in practice they do it all the time but even then they claim some other reason - that goes to how hard it is to prove the reason, not to its legality. Proving the reason, at least by inference, would probably be a lot easier if suddenly half the employees quit on the same day.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kalman posted:

Without taking a view on whether a coordinated quit action is legal (I have no idea), the fact that the employment is at will doesn’t mean that there can’t be an issue related to employment - for example, it isn’t legal for an employer to fire people for being Black or for being Muslim, even if they’re employed at will.

Yes, in practice they do it all the time but even then they claim some other reason - that goes to how hard it is to prove the reason, not to its legality. Proving the reason, at least by inference, would probably be a lot easier if suddenly half the employees quit on the same day.

That doesn’t mean they have some right to make you work. There is a word for that. If you have a contract sure. Maybe they could argue some damages if they hired you over some other candidates, if they can prove fraud then maybe that person has cause.

I could see them pursuing it to set a precedent though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

That doesn’t mean they have some right to make you work. There is a word for that. If you have a contract sure. Maybe they could argue some damages if they hired you over some other candidates, if they can prove fraud then maybe that person has cause.

I could see them pursuing it to set a precedent though.

The exact same logic works in reverse - you don’t have a right to a job, but they still can’t fire you for being a PoC.

Like I said - there may not be a cause of action available for this situation where people quit in a coordinated fashion, I don’t know! (It starts to bear a strong resemblance to union organizing at a certain point, there might well be protections against liability there). But it’s definitely not foreclosed simply because of it being at-will employment.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

This is not a legal answer, but it's hard to imagine a gaggle of corporate lawyers would cost less than what Target could possibly hope to recover from floor-level retail employees.

That would not be target's incentive

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I'm in New York State and I have to quarantine due to a high risk Covid-19 exposure despite the fact I am asymptomatic and negative. My company is required to offer me leave for the duration of my quarantine, but the HR manager told me that since I have not worked at the company long enough to utilize PTO, I am not eligible for sick leave, and that I instead have to go through the NYS Paid Family leave program, included in which is a delay that will result in me not being compensated for the first week of my quarantine. I'm not super well versed in this stuff, but this sounds like complete and utter bullshit. Does anyone have recent experience with this type of stuff? My company has well over 100 employees since that appears to be relevant.
Copied from the Stupid Questions Megathread.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
Where can I find the exact process for doing an informal probate for a relative's estate? She was intestate but the only things that need to be resolved are a piece of real estate and a vehicle. I got a general overview of the process from a lawyer but I need more details.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Depends on the state you’re in.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Depends on the state you’re in.

I'm in Nebraska. I know you do an application to be the representative, then an application for informal intestacy, then a petition to determine the inheritance tax, then file an inventory, then send a notice to creditors, but I'm not sure how to do any of those things or if there are other steps.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can you ask these more specific questions of the lawyer you’ve apparently spoken to? Perhaps even pay them for a half hour of their time?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DildenAnders posted:

I'm in New York State and I have to quarantine due to a high risk Covid-19 exposure despite the fact I am asymptomatic and negative. My company is required to offer me leave for the duration of my quarantine, but the HR manager told me that since I have not worked at the company long enough to utilize PTO, I am not eligible for sick leave, and that I instead have to go through the NYS Paid Family leave program, included in which is a delay that will result in me not being compensated for the first week of my quarantine. I'm not super well versed in this stuff, but this sounds like complete and utter bullshit. Does anyone have recent experience with this type of stuff? My company has well over 100 employees since that appears to be relevant.
Copied from the Stupid Questions Megathread.

You should probably talk to a lawyer BUT be aware that having a lawyer talk to your boss is a great way to get put on the "find a way to fire this guy" list at virtually every workplace in America. Even if you're correct and HR is breaking the law. Especially then.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Beef Eater posted:

I'm in Nebraska. I know you do an application to be the representative, then an application for informal intestacy, then a petition to determine the inheritance tax, then file an inventory, then send a notice to creditors, but I'm not sure how to do any of those things or if there are other steps.

aren't you a lawyer

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You should probably talk to a lawyer BUT be aware that having a lawyer talk to your boss is a great way to get put on the "find a way to fire this guy" list at virtually every workplace in America. Even if you're correct and HR is breaking the law. Especially then.

IANAL but also consider how much they should be compensating you and calculate how much office equipment you need to steal confiscate to make it right.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Can you ask these more specific questions of the lawyer you’ve apparently spoken to? Perhaps even pay them for a half hour of their time?

Isn't that like a thousand dollars?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Beef Eater posted:

Isn't that like a thousand dollars?

I would be shocked if any probate attorney charging and hourly rate in random, nebraska is charging more than a couple hundred bucks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beef Eater posted:

Where can I find the exact process for doing an informal probate for a relative's estate? She was intestate but the only things that need to be resolved are a piece of real estate and a vehicle. I got a general overview of the process from a lawyer but I need more details.

Well “exact” is a tall order. You’d need a lawyer for “exact”

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would be shocked if any probate attorney charging and hourly rate in random, nebraska is charging more than a couple hundred bucks.

We're on the high end of the kind of firm you're looking for in a hcol area and at our firm this consult would cost you about $175. In Nebraska you should be looking at (probably a good bit) less than that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nonexistence posted:

We're on the high end of the kind of firm you're looking for in a hcol area and at our firm this consult would cost you about $175. In Nebraska you should be looking at (probably a good bit) less than that.

Should he try to find a lawyer with or without suspenders (the lawyer would be the one wearing the suspenders in this ambiguous sentence)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Devor posted:

Should he try to find a lawyer with or without suspenders (the lawyer would be the one wearing the suspenders in this ambiguous sentence)

Whose suspenders would this lawyer be wearing?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

shut up guys, he's gonna make some solo rich!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You guys do know that the Omaha metro comprises like a million residents, right?

OP if you really can't afford it that's one thing, but for the amount of nitty gritty procedural poo poo you have to deal with, it's very worth having a lawyer handle the estate. It's not super expensive and their fees are capped at a very low percentage of the estate value. Also the lawyer is paid out of the estate.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I know this is the questions thread but the Extremely Handsome LegalEagle Lawyer just posted a very good video that breaks down the Rittenhouse decision and where both sides went wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR-hhat34LI

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'd say Rittenhouse went wrong when he decided to bring a gun to a protest to protect an auto zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The first time I watched a Legal Eagle video is when I realized im gay.