Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

mock them if you will, but distros like this and devuan are providing a valuable public service

…because they act as a containment zone for some of the most obnoxious, opinionated, insufferable turbonerds on the planet

much like Linux threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

so i could not figure out why zoom version 5.15.x up to around 5.15.7 or so would run in native wayland mode and work fine on my wayland compositor, while later versions would insist on running in xwayland mode and gently caress up the UI and be completely unusable. i thought i was missing some environment variable or something when invoking the zoom binary.

on a hunch i traced the getenv/setenv library calls when running the /opt/zoom/ZoomLauncher binary from newer versions and this bastard is overwriting the QT_QPA_PLATFORM environment variable to "xcb" before invoking the main zoom binary. arrrrgh i'm so loving mad

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

I'll use ext4 until the heat-death of the universe.

same, my dude

zfs and butterfs can take their poo poo and gtfo, I use ext4 everywhere and have literally never had to care about it at all

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 2, 2023

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The_Franz posted:

mock them if you will, but distros like this and devuan are providing a valuable public service

…because they act as a containment zone for some of the most obnoxious, opinionated, insufferable turbonerds on the planet

actually I use regular debian, op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Berkeley FFS has been fine longer than Linux has existed

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i've been using xfs for a while and it's also a fine fs

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Progressive JPEG posted:

i've been using xfs for a while and it's also a fine fs

xfs is good yea

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

xfs is good yea

I wish to be able to shrink a XFS volume if need be. Can XFS do this yet? ( No LOL )

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Soricidus posted:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FlapYoJacks posted:

I wish to be able to shrink a XFS volume if need be. Can XFS do this yet? ( No LOL )

who cares? shrinking filesystem's is inherently risky, probably slow and storage is cheap. If for some reason you need to shrink its simpler and safer to just copy to a new smaller partition anyway

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

here's a dollar, buy a terabyte

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Nah, I’ll stick with ext4 until the heat death of the universe.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
well ur gonnna feel real silly when ext5 comes out

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

I very well may!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
so you’re saying you’d prefer the nth iteration of a quick and dirty knockoff of FFS to the real thing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

Berkeley FFS has been fine longer than Linux has existed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
has anyone said failsystem yet

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Soricidus posted:

me, but not on purpose. apparently the way I say "file" sounds like "fail" to a great number of americans, leading to unnecessarily panicked clients asking what failed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

so you’re saying you’d prefer the nth iteration of a quick and dirty knockoff of FFS to the real thing

Yes

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

no, you see they called it ext4 because they discovered it in the year 2004, the next one will be ext31

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Poopernickel posted:

no, you see they called it ext4 because they discovered it in the year 2004, the next one will be ext31

cracking open the sealed vault beneath Hoover Dam to reveal the last word in file systems, ext3000

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

Soricidus posted:

We already talked about exfat yes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The_Franz posted:

to me systemd seems like a culture war proxy, if someone hates systemd they probably also hate queer people and jews

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

to me systemd seems like a culture war proxy, if someone hates systemd they probably also hate queer people and jews

this seems like a really weird generalization to make. though i have no particular opinion on systemd and admittedly i have seen a fair amount of crossover between those groups

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'll allow it

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

I never really thought about this but it as at least a very similar brand of brain worms where anything, anywhere that changes is being 'forced on me aaaagh"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

let's just cut to the chase and make anti-systemd rhetoric bannable

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mycophobia posted:

this seems like a really weird generalization to make. though i have no particular opinion on systemd and admittedly i have seen a fair amount of crossover between those groups

google image searched the systemd bsod to see what it looked like and the first result was a site called "LULZ" where people were arguing over whether gentoo was better than systemd based distros because it had runit or whether it was worse because of "Google tr---ies", plus watching linux poo poo on youtube leads to recs for youtubers with moeblob/pepe thumbnails who hate systemd and also want you to know about their awful reactionary politics

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

shitface posted:

I never really thought about this but it as at least a very similar brand of brain worms where anything, anywhere that changes is being 'forced on me aaaagh"

the devuan weirdos who hack the systemd dependencies out of their debian fork call themselves "Veteran Unix Admins", they are absolutely hearkening back to a nostalgic and mythological past (where linux systems could be reliably booted with a pile of buggy shell scripts) and believe the changes today are being forced on them by outsiders

the debian project periodically has a developer vote about systemd (e.g. https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002_results.png) that the systemd detractors lose and some of them rage quit the project, because an issue they cared about was decided by a democratic vote and they lost and they couldn't handle that

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

shackleford posted:

the devuan weirdos who hack the systemd dependencies out of their debian fork call themselves "Veteran Unix Admins", they are absolutely hearkening back to a nostalgic and mythological past (where linux systems could be reliably booted with a pile of buggy shell scripts) and believe the changes today are being forced on them by outsiders

the debian project periodically has a developer vote about systemd (e.g. https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002_results.png) that the systemd detractors lose and some of them rage quit the project, because an issue they cared about was decided by a democratic vote and they lost and they couldn't handle that

the early incarnation of systemd "upset" me for like a month, not because I have weird hate boner for lennart or an inability to adapt, but just because anything you've been doing in one particular way for 20 years that flips on you is, naturally, a bit of a jolt. but then I learned it and realized it was cool and good and now lol in the general direction of sysv init on the rare occasion I see it. welp, that's my systemd story

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

from boot to the initd gnu/linux will be free

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 4, 2023

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

go play outside Skyler posted:

from boot to the initd gnu/linux will be free

That is not much. I would also prefer things after PID 1 to be free.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

go play outside Skyler posted:

from boot to the initd gnu+linux will be free

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
we must secure the booting of our systems and shell scripts for init(1) children

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in other systemd news, systemd defaults are often insanely loving stupid. a friend of mine is having issues with losing desktop sessions or having konsole windows just disappear at work. i've also had a konsole disappear once or twice on me last year despite having 64gb ram and 64gb swap, but i was doing stupid poo poo with my pc at the time so i didn't think much of it, at work it's all been working fine

he finally tracked it down to this
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/25376

apparently, if you run oom (because you accidentally ran teams or similar in a chrome tab like some maniac), kernel will, naturally, kill chrome

but then systemd will also notice you ran out of oom and start killing the entire process tree that caused the OOM, often up to and including the x/wayland session/login manager. why? nobody knows lmfao

there's systemd-oomd that already exists (and that one kicks in before kernel reaper and has, allegedly, better logic for it so it's not just a stupid redundancy), but systemd apparently also has that feature duplicated now and it's not documented on how it works or how to disable it lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gentoo's kde team finally added kde 6 / plasma 6 live packages, so there's some compiling going on over here!

really looking forward to a new wayland experience, hope it'll be worthwhile.

seems like there's some mixing of qt5 and qt6 packages still, a chunk of kde-apps/* isn't ported to qt6 yet so it seems you need to run a frankenstein of qt5 and qt6 while support are added

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeeees kwin compiling with qt6 lets go

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I did an in-place upgrade to systemd on an arch linux box back in the day, which was far, far more work than reinstalling from scratch, so I can understand why those guys are bitter, but I blame arch linux not systemd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah on debians i didn't even notice the change happened until i wanted to enable a service and the syntax was changed