Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Naramyth posted:

A few of us already signed up and I know a few more who are committed.

That's awesome - there's a Facebook event thing if you're into that: https://www.facebook.com/events/505090756327480/

Look forward to meeting you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Okay, you guys are a lifesaver for reminding me about those alternative guardsmen sculpts. They will be perfect for my cultists seeing as the typical Cadian skirt coat doesn't really fit the mining aesthetic I am going for.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jadebullet posted:

Okay, you guys are a lifesaver for reminding me about those alternative guardsmen sculpts. They will be perfect for my cultists seeing as the typical Cadian skirt coat doesn't really fit the mining aesthetic I am going for.

From what I've seen on FB she is working on Great Coat troopers, no idea when a release is due though.
Her not-Mordians are pretty neat though and I'd almost want to order a 5-man squad of that and the Not-Cadians because they fun to paint.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of my cultists, I picked up a renegade Ogryn to mix into the squad for the aesthetic. Holy poo poo are Ogryn huge, I never realized that before. The guy is bigger than a terminator.

Edit:btw, does anyone know of a 28mm head bit that looks like an old diving helmet? In researching some coal mining gear, I came across some old rescue gear that I want to convert for the squad leader and that would make a good base for it.

Edit 2: where is the best place to find Raven Guard transfers. For some reason RG aren't on the Space Marine tactical transfer sheet.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 6, 2016

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Uroboros posted:

Well here he is ready to take me to Adepticon and humble the Badab Rebels. Needs some final touch up on the face and banner, thoughts?

He looks great as-is, any imperfections you're seeing are from looking at that zoomed-in photo of him.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Well here he is ready to take me to Adepticon and humble the Badab Rebels. Needs some final touch up on the face and banner, thoughts?

I think he's looking good but the lighting of your photo isn't doing the paintjob any favors. The face needs the most work - it's looking flat right now and could use one or two layers of lighter flesh tones over that and then the eyes. Other than that I'd say he's ready to go!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I vomited up another blog, this time reviewing the genestealer cult rules.

http://toomanymetalmen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/have-you-considered-accepting-four.html

Take a read, let me know if you would voluntarily read that sort of thing.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Thundercloud posted:

http://toomanymetalmen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/have-you-considered-accepting-four.html

Yeah this is good. I read the whole thing and feel motivated to check out your older posts. It's tight and to the point, which I like and you gave me the impression you knew what you were talking about instead of just repeating knowledge gleaned from other sources. I'd say keep writing.

I hope we do see a Genestealer codex this summer. I also hope we see this combined AdMech book with new robots as has been rumored. If those things happen, it would be a good year for 40k for me.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
So I'm running a deathwatch campaign set in the Badab war and it inspired me to get some space marine models because I'm retarded. I bought the start collecting box from a local game store. I think I'm what the kids these days call a "whale"

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Broguts posted:

So I'm running a deathwatch campaign set in the Badab war and it inspired me to get some space marine models because I'm retarded. I bought the start collecting box from a local game store. I think I'm what the kids these days call a "whale"

Have you had a read of the Forgeworld Badab war books? If so just pick one of the super cool chapters from that to do, though you might have to get the shoulderpads from Forgeworld or shapeways.

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 6, 2016

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

Have you had a read of th Forgeworld Badab war books? If so just pick one of thee super cool chapters from that to do, they you might have to get the shoulderpads from Forgeworld or shapeways.

I haven't read the books, but as soon as I read a summary I bought them off of Forge World. Its the first time in about 8 years I read something about 40k and said "This is loving awesome." but in an unironic way. I also plan on bankrupting myself on those characters from Forgeworld. Moloc and Huron are maybe the best models I've seen for 40k.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Astral Claw paint scheme is swank and the FW bits for them are cool, same goes for the Minotaurs. The Badab War was really just about proving the superiority of metallics on power armor.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I bought the Badab War books for the sweet BFG units in the back.

:argh:

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Potential BFF posted:

The Astral Claw paint scheme is swank and the FW bits for them are cool, same goes for the Minotaurs. The Badab War was really just about proving the superiority of metallics on power armor.

Its really amazing how great the Astral Claws and Minotaurs look with their simple three colour-schemes. You have all these chapters with bright colours and checkerboard designs that are a bitch to paint and 9 times out of 10 look like trash with brush strokes, and then you have these two really mundane colour schemes that look fantastic and are easy to paint. You would probably have to be painting with your toes to screw up the Astral Claws.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Fyrbrand posted:

Contact Information Was here

Got it! Sent you an e-mail this morning!

Excited to start playing some 40k again. I've broadened my horizons and am now playing basically every mini game under the sun (and still plan to), but there is something comforting about 40k.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Cross post.

Added some transfers, had trouble getting the right corner to match, so painted over it an added an eagle. Highlighted the face with pallid wych and put black in the eye recesses to give him a brooding look. Touched up the banner, and cloak.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thundercloud posted:

The only thing I would say is that the faithful throng isn't really the shooting panacea that Tyranids need. 2 24" lascannons aren't that great at BS3 seeing as how the exocrine does AP2 better and the hive guard have 3 times the shots with ignore cover for light vehicles (not to mention tyranid creatures can move and shoot). Even with all the psycik hoops zoanthropes are better.
They are cheap, they are troops, they will not destroy heavy vehicles and units of terminators without some drat good luck.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Broguts posted:

Its really amazing how great the Astral Claws and Minotaurs look with their simple three colour-schemes. You have all these chapters with bright colours and checkerboard designs that are a bitch to paint and 9 times out of 10 look like trash with brush strokes, and then you have these two really mundane colour schemes that look fantastic and are easy to paint. You would probably have to be painting with your toes to screw up the Astral Claws.

The only real trap is going too far with the verdigris on Minotaurs, it is a great effect but a little bit goes a long way. Speaking of verdigris, props to whoever it was at FW that decided to use it on the Death Guard alchemical/phosphex stuff 30k, it's a good look.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A Real Horse posted:

Got it! Sent you an e-mail this morning!

Excited to start playing some 40k again. I've broadened my horizons and am now playing basically every mini game under the sun (and still plan to), but there is something comforting about 40k.

Sorry, looks like it went in my spam folder. Replied!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kilo147 posted:

Hey, so modern arms don't actually fit on the old metal space marines. Anyone have a stash of the old 90s ones, like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-4...QkAAOSwx-9WyHI7

Yes. Contact me at gmail.

Azutler.

How many did you need?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hello, I’m a Patriarch. When I’m not busy oppressing people with my impressive maw, I like to hit Space Marines really hard with my fists and mind.

Hello, I’m Vorgan Trysst. As well as having a top name, I rouse my Cult chums with my Zealot rule and wield a bonesword.

When you put them together into a formation they’re more than the sum of their horrid parts, truly. Rules like ‘Ambush the Unhallowed’ and ‘Broodmind Telepathy’ and ‘Unleash Bronk, the Angry Horse’ are amazing. One of those rules, admittedly, is made up. BUT WHICH ONE?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Mango Polo posted:

Hello, I’m a Patriarch. When I’m not busy oppressing people with my impressive maw, I like to hit Space Marines really hard with my fists and mind.

Hello, I’m Vorgan Trysst. As well as having a top name, I rouse my Cult chums with my Zealot rule and wield a bonesword.

When you put them together into a formation they’re more than the sum of their horrid parts, truly. Rules like ‘Ambush the Unhallowed’ and ‘Broodmind Telepathy’ and ‘Unleash Bronk, the Angry Horse’ are amazing. One of those rules, admittedly, is made up. BUT WHICH ONE?

The fact the Genestealer Boss has 5T, no invuln, and no way to charge into cover is just adorable and priceless. Also 4 attacks with AP3, stop the presses boys! But wait, he also has 0 BS and telepathy powers that count as ranged weapons. Can he get any more better? Also I like how he has 10 special rules. Maybe the designers do not know what "Move Through Cover" means?

I am correct at 4 attacks right? He doesn't have / can't benefit from 2 sets of CCW?

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 7, 2016

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Welcome to tyranids?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/blog/blog.jsp

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I notice Mango Polo didn't quote the one that said "duffing things up" since that would've right likely given the game away.

Do you think "invigilus expulsor" means "send him back to the blood angels" or "shoot him in the head" ?

Also "My parents were killed by Waaagh! Gutsplitta"

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 7, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Borris posted:

The fact the Genestealer Boss has 5T, no invuln, and no way to charge into cover is just adorable and priceless. Also 4 attacks with AP3, stop the presses boys! But wait, he also has 0 BS and telepathy powers that count as ranged weapons. Can he get any more better? Also I like how he has 10 special rules. Maybe the designers do not know what "Move Through Cover" means?

I am correct at 4 attacks right? He doesn't have / can't benefit from 2 sets of CCW?

gently caress, tyranids don't have grenades. We get it and deal with it. Mostly by not playing genestealers, or using the horror.

4 attacks + 2 from the little guys. AP3 rending shred.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Psychic Scream. So GW never answered the rules questions about this and they've been getting asked since 40k 7th ed was published. The text was copy pasta'd from 6th edition. All other witchfire powers have a weapons statline.

It is the only offensive Telepathy power that isn't a Malediction. Making it a malediction solves all the rules problems with it.

Also GW don't respond to rules queries. I've sent them an email specifically mentioning the Broodlord, BS 0 and just making it a malediction.

It's really obvious how Psychic Scream should work, but GW haven't bothered to clarify it in 2 years, and they might not feel like doing it now considering the upcoming edition change.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The problem is that they do respond to some rules queries almost immediately. They seem to have a short list of untouchable things they refuse to clarify.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Thats because you should forge your own narrative rules.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
At the beginning of the game, if you scream in your opponent's ear, count Psychic Scream as a Malediction for the remainder of the game.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
You think move through cover would be on nearly every tyranid unit. Necrons can give their entire army the special rule.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Uroboros posted:

You think move through cover would be on nearly every tyranid unit. Necrons can give their entire army the special rule.

It practically is. Monstrous Creatures get it by default, Hormagaunts and Genestealers have it. It's really just the non-combat gribblies that don't get it automatically. Even then I can count on one hand the number of times being a little bit slower in cover has been a serious issue.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Do horms get grenades yet?

lol if horms still dont get grenades

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

We’re proper good at duffing things up in close combat, delivering punches up the bracket with gusto.

This is the most British sentence I've ever read.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Ignite Memories posted:

Do horms get grenades yet?

lol if horms still dont get grenades

lol

just...

just lol :cry:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PierreTheMime posted:

It practically is. Monstrous Creatures get it by default, Hormagaunts and Genestealers have it. It's really just the non-combat gribblies that don't get it automatically. Even then I can count on one hand the number of times being a little bit slower in cover has been a serious issue.

Warriors and primes don't, it kind of sucks of you want to use the prime to give Hormagaunts assault grenades.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Waaazzzzzzzaaaaaaaaapppppppppp

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am starting to feel like Chaos Cultists are the 40k equivalent of a tourist trap. I mean, I am sure that they will do something on the table top, but probably not equivalent to the amount of money I have dropped on this squad.

I mean, it is worth it to me, just to get them to look awesome and unique, but that is probably because the modeling aspect is where I get most of my enjoyment of the hobby. Still, I feel odd when the most expensive unit that I will be fielding will essentially be cannon fodder.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Hencoe posted:

Warriors and primes don't, it kind of sucks of you want to use the prime to give Hormagaunts assault grenades.

You can give Tyranid Primes Flesh Hooks which counts as both a gun and allows them to assault at initiative. It's not a good option, but it does exist. Tyranid Warriors in general are too fragile/expensive to be used in combat and are typically just relegated to backline support, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

You can give Tyranid Primes Flesh Hooks which counts as both a gun and allows them to assault at initiative. It's not a good option, but it does exist. Tyranid Warriors in general are too fragile/expensive to be used in combat and are typically just relegated to backline support, if anything.

I meant his lack of MtC, I've used him for an HQ in a hormagaunt brood a couple times in low point games.

• Locked thread