Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Dice City looks neat. Pros-cons?

Dice City is really nice, it's one of my girlfriend's favorite games. The only thing I'd say about it is that it is really a game for two players. You can play three or four, but the only thing you're adding to the game is more time. Got the Crossroads expansion in yesterday and some of the cards in there look really neat. I could also see the game feeling incomplete without the All That Glitters expansion, Gold adds a new game end condition that is really quite necessary. The expansions are pretty drat expensive for what you get too, they're like 60 tiny cards (3 copies of 16 new buildings, plus a few Gold Mines) and a couple of punch sheets.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

deadwing posted:

Dice City is really nice, it's one of my girlfriend's favorite games. The only thing I'd say about it is that it is really a game for two players. You can play three or four, but the only thing you're adding to the game is more time. Got the Crossroads expansion in yesterday and some of the cards in there look really neat. I could also see the game feeling incomplete without the All That Glitters expansion, Gold adds a new game end condition that is really quite necessary. The expansions are pretty drat expensive for what you get too, they're like 60 tiny cards (3 copies of 16 new buildings, plus a few Gold Mines) and a couple of punch sheets.

Also if you play more then 2 make sure you have a big table because the game boards are not small. It's one of my wife's favorite games because she prefers games with no confrontation.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Are there any highly regarded board games from the last century? Most of the talk here is about the bleeding edge of new board games. In all of my hobbies I tend to wait for items to rise to the top and withstanding the test of time and I'm also a bit of an antique collector(I love metal lunch boxes). I have some old board games with popular licenses, but they are all garbage to actually play.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Acquire (1964) is probably your best bet if you're looking for things that are 50-100 years old. I can't think of anything else of comparable age that's actually held up except maybe Password.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Andarel posted:

Acquire (1964) is probably your best bet if you're looking for things that are 50-100 years old. I can't think of anything else of comparable age that's actually held up except maybe Password.

I'm interested in checking on anything highly regarded older than the year 2000AD

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

People still play Diplomacy (1959)

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
theres this game you mightve heard of called settlers of catan...

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Andarel posted:

Yeah, Sid Sackson is really the only designer that was prolific in the way modern designers are. Maybe Tresham but he did 1829 in '74 and then 1830 in the eighties. There are a lot of wargames, too, but the oldest ones aren't highly regarded anymore. The German games boom was the 90s.

Oh, and Diplomacy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

People still play Diplomacy (1959)

That's because chess and diplomacy are legitimately the two greatest board games of all time

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Are there any highly regarded board games from the last century? Most of the talk here is about the bleeding edge of new board games. In all of my hobbies I tend to wait for items to rise to the top and withstanding the test of time and I'm also a bit of an antique collector(I love metal lunch boxes). I have some old board games with popular licenses, but they are all garbage to actually play.

Basically everything pre-1990 is rough as hell. On one side you had the grognardy Avalon Hill releases which were largely simulationist games aimed at a specific niche audience and everything else was informed by cheap throwaway big box retail titles from toy manufacturers. If I were making a board game timeline it would basically be BC and AC; Before Catan and After Catan.

Good BC games would be Acquire, Civilization, Diplomacy, Squad Leader, I would make an argument for Magic Realm and Merchant of Venus despite both being pretty flawed, Junta, Survive: Escape from Atlantis, 1830, Dune, and Escape from Colditz.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Tigris and Euphrates (1999) is great.
Roads & Boats (1999) is niche but one of my favorites.
Die Macher (1986) has been regarded as a "proto-euro" and gets a lot of praise, along with having the board game ID of "1" on boardgamegeek.com; but out of print.
Acquire (1964) I'd say is the most popular classic of late 20th century.
1830 (published 1986) is great but very involved and a lot of variant games have built on its foundation.
Settlers of Catan (1993) started all the crazy euro trends post 2000, but it's arguably dated (especially in regards what defines a "euro" game).
Advanced Civilization (1991) is highly regarded, but also involved and annoyingly out-of-print.
I'd argue Advanced Squad Leader (1986 with Squad Leader coming out 1975) is a classic, and its Starter Kits are good introductions, but the full game system uses a three-ring binder rulebook D:

If you want two really old games that still hold up try Crokinole and Go. Hell, Bridge is pretty good.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Looking forward to looking into these. I also had no idea Catan was that old.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Oh, so the '90s are go then?

Some suggestions in that case, because there are plenty of games from the '90s alone that people still like:

1991: Tichu
1992: Loopin' Louie, maybe Modern Art?
1995: El Grande, PitchCar, Bottle Imp
1997: Tigris and Euphrates, For Sale, Bohnanza, Jungle Speed
1998: Samurai
1999: Ra, Chinatown, Roads & Boats, Schotten Totten (Battle Line)

Other notables, other than a pile of solid wargames:

Magic Realm (1979), Civilization (1980/1991), 1830 (1986)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is just one of many board gameing renaissance.

There was one at an indeterminate time during the Bronze Age when dice were invented, there was another in the 6th century Indian golden age (when chess and other games were invented), and another during the Tang Dynasty (618–907AD) in China when playing cards were invented. Also arguably one in Europe during 18th century, when all of these games came together because of European exploration.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Dawn Patrol aka Fight in the Skies is the only game to be played at every single GenCon. It's one of the games that got me hooked on the hobby. I haven't played it in decades--anyone know if it still holds up?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

al-azad posted:

Escape from Colditz.

Oh wow, I played that a couple of years ago versus a guy who played this during his time in the army a gazillion years ago. The 3 of us (2 of the biggest brains I know + me) never stood a snowflake in hell's chance. He had a bunch of house rules, don't know if that had anything to do with it but holy crap was that game single-sided.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

theroachman posted:

Oh wow, I played that a couple of years ago versus a guy who played this during his time in the army a gazillion years ago. The 3 of us (2 of the biggest brains I know + me) never stood a snowflake in hell's chance. He had a bunch of house rules, don't know if that had anything to do with it but holy crap was that game single-sided.

I think it's getting an updated edition sometime soon but I'm sure his house rules contributed to your whooping.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Despite this thread having little love for it (I like it with the right group), Cosmic Encounter is from 1977 and is probably the most popular "old" game. Survive! Escape from Atlantis has been around for a while as well.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Die Macher is old as hell but is still a freaking amazing game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So it looks like I was able to snag a parts missing copy of Food Chain Magnate online for $10. I don't know what's missing yet, but at that price I thought it was worth the gamble. Is there anything in the game that would be super difficult to replace? Alternatively, how is Splotter customer service

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Andarel posted:

Oh, so the '90s are go then?

Some suggestions in that case, because there are plenty of games from the '90s alone that people still like:

1991: Tichu
1992: Loopin' Louie, maybe Modern Art?
1995: El Grande, PitchCar, Bottle Imp
1997: Tigris and Euphrates, For Sale, Bohnanza, Jungle Speed
1998: Samurai
1999: Ra, Chinatown, Roads & Boats, Schotten Totten (Battle Line)

Other notables, other than a pile of solid wargames:

Magic Realm (1979), Civilization (1980/1991), 1830 (1986)

Modern Art is great. I prefer Ra but they're both awesome. Tikal is pretty good (99). Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (96) is like the CDG progenitor and it's getting a reprint soon. Through the Desert (98) is well regarded but I haven't actually played it. I thought Can't Stop (1980) was fun enough.

And then Civilization is from 1980 and you can spend all your money and get Mega Civ.

e: and gently caress it I still like god drat HeroQuest (1995) and always will.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If you're looking for old games that would look good on a shelf there's the 3M Gamette series, three of which are Sackson games.

A lot of vintage sports games are still around, like Strat-0-Matic. They're essentially a separate hobby but definitely classic board games.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 21, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
E: found it

dhamster fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 22, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

cosmicjim posted:

So basically you are asking if you should buy the equivalent of a cell phone from the last century. The hobby moves on and the best games are generally the ones that were made within the last five years.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lorini posted:

So basically you are asking if you should buy the equivalent of a cell phone from the last century. The hobby moves on and the best games are generally the ones that were made within the last five years.

Sorry, Dominion, you're too old to be in the cool kids club anymore. It's okay though, we've replaced you with your 2011 equivalent, A Few Acres of Snow

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sorry, Dominion, you're too old to be in the cool kids club anymore. It's okay though, we've replaced you with your 2011 equivalent, A Few Acres of Snow

The Dominion cards more than 5 years old aren't as good as the newer ones.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Chapel is still pretty great!

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Poopy Palpy posted:

Literally shaking rn

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

Are there any highly regarded board games from the last century?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1662/napoleon-waterloo-campaign-1815

This is a block wargame, but is not too complex and has held up very well, and has the advantage of being in print. The same goes for many of Columbia Games designs.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Holy strawman, guys

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Also if you play more then 2 make sure you have a big table because the game boards are not small. It's one of my wife's favorite games because she prefers games with no confrontation.

Huh, but the quick look I peeked at says it has armies which can be used to steal your opponents resources/trash their buildings, or gently caress with their dice rolls. Is this somehow non-confrontational?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SynthOrange posted:

Huh, but the quick look I peeked at says it has armies which can be used to steal your opponents resources/trash their buildings, or gently caress with their dice rolls. Is this somehow non-confrontational?

You can use them only to attack bandits, I suppose.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Poopy Palpy posted:

you motherfucker

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm taking some time today and learning Cuba Libre. Holy poo poo am I glad I bought this.

First exposure to COIN whatsoever, and the design is impressing the hell out of me so far. Can't wait to try it out.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm taking some time today and learning Cuba Libre. Holy poo poo am I glad I bought this.

First exposure to COIN whatsoever, and the design is impressing the hell out of me so far. Can't wait to try it out.

Oh, you can wait.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR :mad:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Poopy Palpy posted:

Mods?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Sorry, it's true

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Name one card better than Rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mega64 posted:

Name one card better than Rats.

Oddly enough, also my favorite card from Through the Ages.

Heh heh everyone's food goes away and only I prepared for it heh heh.