Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cannot wait for English Sono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
So, I finally watched Black Christmas from last year. I honestly have no idea why it's so hated, beyond the obvious. Like, it's a perfectly fine slasher, even if it breaks the rule of making it PG-13 (I wouldn't have even known what the rating was until I saw a few people mention it). It gets a little silly, but maybe it was because I had finished the Nightmare on Elm Street remake the night before.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

So, I finally watched Black Christmas from last year. I honestly have no idea why it's so hated, beyond the obvious. Like, it's a perfectly fine slasher, even if it breaks the rule of making it PG-13 (I wouldn't have even known what the rating was until I saw a few people mention it). It gets a little silly, but maybe it was because I had finished the Nightmare on Elm Street remake the night before.

im worried about your mental health please stop hurting yourself with bad remakes

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

It's almost there and Takai is a good director.

I think it's a weird mix of issues for me:

--It feels a bit slight in its handling of rape and sexism

--The characters feel a bit half-baked. The whole thing feels like it should be workshopped. There are things like the heel turn then are interesting but not fully developed or when our white main character is lecturing our black activist character about not going to the police that feel contrived. Like the interaction is a bit tone deaf based on race, but also doesn't track with how that specific character has been established. It's not an earned reversal. The characters have the beats of decent arcs and reveals, but it doesn't feel like the work was put in.

--If you're going to roll with such a ridiculous plot, go all the way there. The ending should have been a lot stupider.

--It's been twenty-five years since Scream. Feminist horror is not some novelty, but a key pillar of the genre. You actually have to say something.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 21, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the third Black Christmas remake, that's going to involve cyborg misogynist time traveling lizard people right?

Every single remake has taken what's one of hte most down to earth and heavy slashers ever made to sillier and sillier places

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Burkion posted:

So the third Black Christmas remake, that's going to involve cyborg misogynist time traveling lizard people right?

Every single remake has taken what's one of hte most down to earth and heavy slashers ever made to sillier and sillier places

I'd actually watch that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Black Christmas (2033) is the climatic ending to Marvel Phase 6. Everyone cries when Adam Warlock is killed by a plastic bag.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Black Christmas IV: Black Hannukah

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Black Christmas IV: Black Hannukah

You raise a good point. ARE there any good Hanukkah horror movies?

Holy Moses, someone finally decided to make one in 2019! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2562146/ And it's Sid Haig's final film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxcgDmZ4iZU

Stryder fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 24, 2020

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Kvlt! posted:

Black Christmas IV: Black Hannukah in the Hood

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Kvlt! posted:

im worried about your mental health please stop hurting yourself with bad remakes

But I have already seen Black Christmas (2006)!

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's almost there and Takai is a good director.

I think it's a weird mix of issues for me:

--It feels a bit slight in its handling of rape and sexism

--The characters feel a bit half-baked. The whole thing feels like it should be workshopped. There are things like the heel turn then are interesting but not fully developed or when our white main character is lecturing our black activist character about not going to the police that feel contrived. Like the interaction is a bit tone deaf based on race, but also doesn't track with how that specific character has been established. It's not an earned reversal. The characters have the beats of decent arcs and reveals, but it doesn't feel like the work was put in.

--If you're going to roll with such a ridiculous plot, go all the way there. The ending should have been a lot stupider.

--It's been twenty-five years since Scream. Feminist horror is not some novelty, but a key pillar of the genre. You actually have to say something.

I can't disagree with any of this. The film is pretty heavy-handed, the plot does get ridiculous before reeling it back a little. I wish it'd just take one more step into the magic stuff

Keep in mind, this is a middling film to me. I thought it was very okay while watching it. But, I was just surprised to see such a negative reaction beyond the obvious. It's not a film I'd ever recommend.

e: I can't believe my post is "but it's mediocre, not bad!!!"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I think a lot of the negativity comes from a place where it looked really fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

But I have already seen Black Christmas (2006)!

I said BAD remakes, not good ones!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

:chloe:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1341167885050408963?s=20

Whatever, I guess...

The series is best horror movie ever, one interesting and cool sequel (3) and then a bunch of poop.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Exorcist is such a self contained story it never needed a sequel. Legion/3 is more of another story set in the same world than it is a sequel. Blumhouse just tryna cash in on the name

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I actually have always been in the minority with The Exorcist, I think it's one of the best and most consistent horror series out there. Outside of the Renny Harlin abomination I don't feel there's been a bad Exorcist film. I enjoy The Heretic and Dominion a lot and I don't skip them when I watch the series.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Theres 2 prequels right? I remember one of them being decent

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kvlt! posted:

Theres 2 prequels right? I remember one of them being decent

They're technically the same movie. The studio had the movie 95% reshot, and then when it flopped they decided to release the original cut as its own film.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I watched Krampus today. I know there's more than one, this is the one with Toni Collette and Adam Scott. I really liked it. I went in with really low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

It's got probably the best puppet work in a horror movie in the last 20 years prove me wrong so I have more horror movies with extensive puppeteering

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Twin Cinema posted:

Because A) it's boring and B) it didn't need to be so boring, what it needed to be was "not a slasher"

It's a story about a sorority vs. an evil fraternity, there are so many interesting things you can do with that. Instead of trying to turn that concept into a pg 13 slasher where you have to keep cutting away from things right as they're getting good do something else! Go full Home Alone! Get real weird with it! Have some fun!

So yeah, I hate it mostly for the wasted potential more than anything.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Stryder posted:

You raise a good point. ARE there any good Hanukkah horror movies?

Holy Moses, someone finally decided to make one in 2019! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2562146/ And it's Sig Haig's final film!

Unfortunate typo, considering the subject of the post.

It's not Hanukkah-related but I always liked The Possession as a serious horror rendering of the dybbuk myth. Plus Matisyahu is in it!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Prince Myshkin posted:

It's not Hanukkah-related but I always liked The Possession as a serious horror rendering of the dybbuk myth. Plus Matisyahu is in it!

that was the one with Jeffrey Dean Morgan right? that was actually a p good movie

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Prince Myshkin posted:

If you like that but slept on Demon, you should fix that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GafK0WuRCnk

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Says the world's biggest fan of Rob "Halloween" Zombie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jedit posted:

Zing!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

Yeah, but -ah, never mind.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I heard good things about The Exorcist tv series but I've yet to watch it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved it. Great exorcisms/possession scenes, strong performances, a really interesting demon conspiracy meta plot, and a surprising fluid link to the films. I would highly recommend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched The Exorcist show on the threads recommendation and I didn't regret it, although fair warning that if you like to avoid shows that don't have satisfying conclusions then you may want to skip it. I'd have loved to see the show go on for another season or two but it was abruptly cancelled.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I definitely think the meta stuff had more room to tell story and with the main characters. The Exorcist has been one of my most disappointing cancelations in some time. But the first two seasons are pretty well self contained from the core plot.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

Sorry to get self-promote-y for a second, but if you all are interested in obscure, weird, and scary Christmas lore, I have a 12-part video series that covers a lot of that ground, including the Schnabelpercht like in that tweet, the Mari Lwyd, the Yule Lads, the Caga Tio, the various figures of Rauhnächte like Bloody Thomas and the Lutzelfrau, ghostly versions of Saint Barbara that look like Sadako from The Ring, and of course, many styles of Krampus. Also ghosts, witches, werewolves and vampires. Normal Christmas stuff.

There’s also non-spooky stuff like how the Puritans outlawed Christmas and how to tell your future with a candle and a bit of lead. Maybe some of y’all would be into it

Been going through all these while I’ve been working this week and they’re super interesting, thanks for posting them. I enjoyed the kitty cat fight club B-plot as well. That being said I will NEVER stop complaining about christmas creep, Saint Martin be damned.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Look, fair enough. I was just trying to get across that it’s not new

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Dougherty should make a sequel to Krampus called Tales of the Krampus that are all just weird creature feature shorts of other weird Christmas folklore. I want to see a thirty foot tale Yule Cat puppet.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

The reason that Host was so well received this year is because it was under an hour. Please horror producers, make more horror movies under an hour.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Well there's lots of shorts and anthologies out there. Even among features I don't think too many of them have broken 90 mins this year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BisonDollah posted:

The reason that Host was so well received this year is because it was under an hour. Please horror producers, make more horror movies under an hour.

There are tons of good to great horror short films on YouTube and stuff. You could go through the October Challenge thread where everyone watched a bunch of shorts and find hours worth of quality horror shorts about a half hour long or so.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I watched The Exorcist show on the threads recommendation and I didn't regret it, although fair warning that if you like to avoid shows that don't have satisfying conclusions then you may want to skip it. I'd have loved to see the show go on for another season or two but it was abruptly cancelled.

I watched it when it was live, and unfortunately missed the whole second season, so I really need to go back and revisit.

I definitely enjoyed the first season.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Outcast was also good, it's a show about possessions based on a comic by Robert Kirkman who also wrote The Walking Dead. I believe it also ends unsatisfactory and the comic isn't quite wrapped up yet either, but what was made was pretty cool

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well there's lots of shorts and anthologies out there. Even among features I don't think too many of them have broken 90 mins this year.

Bad Hair would have been a fine 25 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BisonDollah posted:

TV series have made people accustomed to the ~45 minute runtime. Truthfully, I don't want to see films become more series-like.