Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm making chili oil as gifts for Christmas (putting it in 2 oz bottles with droppers) and I'm using the recipe we used at the Japanese restaurant I worked for. It's the same chili oil recipe used in a bunch of high-end Michelin star rated Japanese restaurants in NYC (head chef used to work in several of them) but I have one question regarding the process:

at the restaurant we used a vitamix to blend whole dried thai bird chilis, sansho, and Szechuan peppercorns with garlic-infused oil. The friction caused by this process would literally cook the ingredients together, and we'd dump the whole thing into a pot, bring it all to temp, and then let it rest over night. We'd then strain the oil with a cheese cloth and separate the remaining sediment for other recipes, or sometimes add it to batches of new chili oil for additional flavor.

Unfortunately I do not have a vitamix (just a ninja blender) but I do have a solid Cuisinart food processor. If I simply replaced the vitamix with my food processor in the process I listed above, would it still work? Would it still "cook" the ingredients? Or would I be better off processing the ingredients separate from the oil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm making chili oil as gifts for Christmas (putting it in 2 oz bottles with droppers) and I'm using the recipe we used at the Japanese restaurant I worked for. It's the same chili oil recipe used in a bunch of high-end Michelin star rated Japanese restaurants in NYC (head chef used to work in several of them) but I have one question regarding the process:

at the restaurant we used a vitamix to blend whole dried thai bird chilis, sansho, and Szechuan peppercorns with garlic-infused oil. The friction caused by this process would literally cook the ingredients together, and we'd dump the whole thing into a pot, bring it all to temp, and then let it rest over night. We'd then strain the oil with a cheese cloth and separate the remaining sediment for other recipes, or sometimes add it to batches of new chili oil for additional flavor.

Unfortunately I do not have a vitamix (just a ninja blender) but I do have a solid Cuisinart food processor. If I simply replaced the vitamix with my food processor in the process I listed above, would it still work? Would it still "cook" the ingredients? Or would I be better off processing the ingredients separate from the oil?
probably not, do you have a stick blender?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Elizabethan Error posted:

probably not, do you have a stick blender?

I do!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a good non-pig alternative to bacon?

Nobody say turkey.

If you can find it, lamb bacon is unbeatable.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
What oil do I use If I just use a pot on the stove and don't have a dedicated deep fryer and want to make some wings? I'm on keto if that matters.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Nierbo posted:

What oil do I use If I just use a pot on the stove and don't have a dedicated deep fryer and want to make some wings? I'm on keto if that matters.
Peanut oil. it's cheap and has a high smoke point.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Canola if you don't like peanut-flavored wings.

(Tbh I just do them in the oven)

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Canola if you don't like peanut-flavored wings.

(Tbh I just do them in the oven)
unsauced wings sound p boring

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I sauce them afterward, but I'm not into super saucy wings. I also do stuff like Old Bay or garlic parmesan and not buffalo or hot sauce.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

I sauce them afterward, but I'm not into super saucy wings. I also do stuff like Old Bay or garlic parmesan and not buffalo or hot sauce.

Pail Prudhomme’s Chicken Magic is pretty boss if you like dry rubs on wings

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Sous vide marinated wings, dry, bread with potato starch and egg, fry to crispy, toss while hot with salt and sesame oil, mirin, and soy sauce.

I typically fry in canola or soybean oil, though I seem to be hearing a lot of bad things about soybean oil lately.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hit me with your best gluten-free treats that I can make in one night! A friend of mine is dog-sitting for me on short notice, and I want to leave him something to munch on as a reward. He also has celiac(sp.) disease so that limits the types of things I can make.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Hit me with your best gluten-free treats that I can make in one night! A friend of mine is dog-sitting for me on short notice, and I want to leave him something to munch on as a reward. He also has celiac(sp.) disease so that limits the types of things I can make.

https://vedgedout.com/2015/03/26/the-best-vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies/

The gluten free variant of this recipe is solid, and if the batter comes out a little bit wetter than you think the cookies will come out crispy and chewy.

This is my go-to cookie recipe and everyone goes crazy for it. At thanksgiving people would grab one, take a bite, and then immediately go back for 3 or 4 more. I made around 2 dozen and they were completely gone by the end of the night.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

unsauced wings sound p boring

I can't tell you how many plain chicken wings and boneless tenders we sell at the pizza shop. Lots of Irishmen in Quincy, and they eat thier poo poo plain.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Lots of Irishmen in Quincy, and they eat thier poo poo plain.
I feel so...seen...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pail Prudhomme’s Chicken Magic is pretty boss if you like dry rubs on wings
I'll try it, thanks!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Peanut oil. it's cheap and has a high smoke point.

Will try. Thankyou.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I'm a glutton for punishment and have decided to make a huge amount of tamales tomorrow for the holidays. I haven't made these since I was a kid and while it isn't brain surgery was wondering if anyone had any tips for forming them or filling ideas? I'm planning on lamb barbacoa (already made) as well as rajas and queso, but also something with beef and something with chicken. Was considering braising the beef chuck I have with a poo poo ton of schezuan peppercorns and cumin to make some weird as amalgam?

I using the masa that comes in the huge package not sure where I can fresh stuff in nyc (that isn't a pain to get)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The bagged stuff is fine, but it can be a little... thinner? Mushier? The consistency is more like spackle, less like wet concrete.
My only forming tip is to pick the best husks, and use that to form your shape.

And gently caress yes, put whatever you want in your tamales. They freeze well, so make at least a 100.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what curry best complements lamb? I'm thinking either rogan josh, jalfrezi or just plain old madras curry. lamb is expensive as gently caress so I wanna bring the best out of it. even bought saffron to stick in the rice I make for a one-way ticket to flavourtown.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Q8ee posted:

what curry best complements lamb? I'm thinking either rogan josh, jalfrezi or just plain old madras curry. lamb is expensive as gently caress so I wanna bring the best out of it. even bought saffron to stick in the rice I make for a one-way ticket to flavourtown.
Saag? works for Lamb and 'Lamb'

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm making a batch tuna noodle casserole so I can just heat up meals over an intense weekend of study...I've got a block of Monterrey Jack and a block of Mozzarella...nice locally-made stuff. I'm thinking Mozzarella in the mixture and then a lesser portion of Jack on top...do you think these will clash?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I have been craving a Ham Ball my grandma would make for get-togethers, but sadly the recipe was never written down and my mom and aunt can't recall what was in it, other than ...ham. Sigh, big help mom thanks. Grandma has been gone for a very long time now, so I can't ask her either.

I am pretty sure it had cream cheese in it, but if anyone has an awesome version of it I'd love to make it and see if its anything close to what I can remember. I am pretty sure it won't be exactly what I remember, but I would prefer something that you goons have made and approved of. I tried googling, but they all seem not quite what I was hoping for, and I would rather go with something tried and true from the goon collective.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Peetown Manning posted:

I'm making a batch tuna noodle casserole so I can just heat up meals over an intense weekend of study...I've got a block of Monterrey Jack and a block of Mozzarella...nice locally-made stuff. I'm thinking Mozzarella in the mixture and then a lesser portion of Jack on top...do you think these will clash?

Nice mozzarella is wasted on a tuna casserole IMO. You want something that will showcase its flavor and texture more. Monterrey jack and tuna both have fairly strong flavors on their own.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought a "combo pack" of meat which included a chuck roast and this ... What is it? Chuck steak? It's about 3/4" thick, what do I do with it? Braise it?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

wormil posted:

I bought a "combo pack" of meat which included a chuck roast and this ... What is it? Chuck steak? It's about 3/4" thick, what do I do with it? Braise it?

Yeah, that looks like chuck steak. Braising is a good method for that cut since it will be tough otherwise, personally I would make some pot roast with it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd use that in a stew

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

Big 'ol chuck. Marinate it, pound it flat, dredge it in egg and flour and mystery herbs and spices, deep fry it for delicious chicken fried steak

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Saag? works for Lamb and 'Lamb'

I don't think I'd like Saag, it seems similar to something I've had in the past and the flavours aren't really my thing. Also what do you mean by lamb and "lamb"?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 16, 2017

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jay Carney posted:

I'm a glutton for punishment and have decided to make a huge amount of tamales tomorrow for the holidays. I haven't made these since I was a kid and while it isn't brain surgery was wondering if anyone had any tips for forming them or filling ideas? I'm planning on lamb barbacoa (already made) as well as rajas and queso, but also something with beef and something with chicken. Was considering braising the beef chuck I have with a poo poo ton of schezuan peppercorns and cumin to make some weird as amalgam?

I using the masa that comes in the huge package not sure where I can fresh stuff in nyc (that isn't a pain to get)

I usually use a butter knife to spread the masa. Just keep brushing it around until it's a rectangle using up maybe 2/3 (almost all the way to one edge) of the wrapper across and half of it in the direction you'll fold the husk. Then dollop of filling. Roll it so the dough on the edge touches the dough 1/3 from the other edge, wrap around the excess husk, then fold the extra husk on the bottom.

Make sure to leave a little space at the top (the part that's not covered with husk), the dough can expand quite a bit! Maybe 1/2"?

Personally I skip tying them, if you stack them carefully they'll stay in place ok.

It's probably too late for this, but I've used bean broth with the dried masa, that turned out pretty drat good.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Wow thank you!!!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Q8ee posted:

I don't think I'd like Saag, it seems similar to something I've had in the past and the flavours aren't really my thing. Also what do you mean by lamb and "lamb"?

Are you in the US? A lot of lamb sold there is actually mutton as it comes from a older sheep rather than an actual lamb. Mutton is tougher than lamb and this leads a lot of Americans to conclude that 'lamb' is not a nice meat and not worth the price.
As a British Australian this is a horrifying state of affairs as lamb is plentiful, cheap and really delicious and so tender when properly cooked.

I'll hunt down the Lamb vindaloo recipe I posted in this thread a while back as it should work even with mutton as you can cook it down until the meat is tender, however long that takes as long as you control the temp and how hard it simmers.

Found it, it was in the curry thread.

Helith posted:

Would you like a vindaloo recipe? Of course you would!
This is a recipe I've cooked a couple of times and it's a Goan version of vindaloo which is itself based on the Portuguese vinha d'alhos (meat with wine and garlic). It is quite spicy so have a raita with it. This makes a big batch enough for 6-8 servings. I usually make a full batch of the paste but only cook 1/2 of it with 1 kg of meat and save the other half in the fridge for another time.

Lamb Vindaloo
2kg lamb leg meat cut into 4cm cubes (or you can use chuck steak or pork shoulder or leg)
vegetable oil
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped

Vindaloo Paste
1 tsp mustard powder
2 tbsp chilli powder
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp black pepper
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups dry white wine
1/4 cup caster sugar
12 cloves garlic
2 tbsp grated ginger
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped

Combine the paste ingredients in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
Pour the paste over the meat in a non reactive bowl and marinate for at least 3 hrs.

Heat about 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat until very hot. Remove the lamb from the marinade leaving behind as much of the reserved marinade and juices as possible. Fry the lamb in batches until well browned, adding extra oil as necessary, and set aside.
Fry the onions in a little more oil until golden brown and return the browned lamb to the pot.
Add the reserved marinade plus 1/2 cup of water, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until the meat is tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
If it starts to go dry add a little water or cover it.
Serve with rice and/or bread and a cucumber raita and maybe a simple tomato salad.

Cucumber Raita
2 Lebanese cucumbers, unpeeled
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Greek style plain yoghurt (I use Chobani)
A handful mint leaves, finely shredded
1/4 tsp ground cumin

Remove the ends of the cucumbers, split them in half and scrape out the seeds. Grate the cucumbers in a bowl and scatter with the salt. Put them into a fine sieve and let them drain for 10 mins. Then gently squeeze out any excess liquid.
Mix the cucumber with the yoghurt, mint and cumin and serve.

Helith fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 16, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lamb is 15-20 dollars a pound around here. That's why I slaughter my own.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Helith posted:

Are you in the US?

He's in the "Annoyingly Rural, UK" area if I recall correctly.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Helith posted:

A lot of lamb sold there is actually mutton as it comes from a older sheep rather than an actual lamb. Mutton is tougher than lamb and this leads a lot of Americans to conclude that 'lamb' is not a nice meat and not worth the price.

That sounds like terrible business practice. That lamb vindaloo also looks delicious, will definitely try it out.

ulmont posted:

He's in the "Annoyingly Rural, UK" area if I recall correctly.

Nailed it, arse-end of England. I bought 500g of lamb and it cost me £10, which is pretty expensive. Lamb mince is a tad cheaper. Chicken and beef are my mainstays as they're cheap enough to throw in every meal.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Big 'ol chuck. Marinate it, pound it flat, dredge it in egg and flour and mystery herbs and spices, deep fry it for delicious chicken fried steak

drat... This got me going.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lamb is 15-20 dollars a pound around here. That's why I slaughter my own.

They're so much cheaper when they're not dead, that's for sure. And then you have a minute of respectful solemnity and an afternoon of fun ahead!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pocket post, sorry

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, 70-80 dollars for the whole animal is what works for me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

They're so much cheaper when they're not dead, that's for sure. And then you have a minute of respectful solemnity and an afternoon of fun ahead!
Matanzas are great.

Maybe I'm just in the right part of the country, but lamb is pretty great & plentiful here, I wouldn't say it's any more expensive than any other non-chicken/pork meat :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why is Tilda Basmati the only basmati rice I can buy that cooks perfectly every time? Whenever I try buying store-brand basmati, it's always undercooked. I've tried Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose basmati and it's the same with all of them. Finally caved and bought a 5kg bag of Tilda and today's rice was perfect without any fuss.