Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Psion posted:

the game has a workshop, has effectively officially sponsored mods, and prompts you to use mods every time you run the launcher

there is no reasonable principle. really, just ... get the mod. enjoy the rad as hell guns as much as you want.

the plasma effects in particular are hugely superior to the OG xcom2 plasma beams, worth it for them alone.

Bolded for emphasis. They aren't maintained anymore, and only work for the base game, but Firaxis literally hired Long War Studios to make some mods for the game to be available on release of the game. Firaxis wants you to use mods to supplement the game to your taste. If anything, by refusing to use mods, you're actually going against the spirit of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
People who play PC games but don't like mods just make me :psyduck:

That's the entire point of the platform!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

don't even talk to me if Dr. Robotnik and Bob Ross aren't on your team

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

for me it’s megatron and starscream :ocelot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Digirat posted:

I've got Snow White, Cinderella, and the Powerpuff Girls.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Digirat posted:

Coolguye posted:

for me it’s megatron and starscream :ocelot:

squad size caps at six, I don't see the problem here

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I roll with my Shadow Hunters. As a guy who gets heavy into story and character creation in just about every game he plays, I end up with very strong character identity for these soldiers.

Seeing Bearhart from that pool, for example, as anything other than a Grenadier (Gunner if using Long War classes) is just pain. He needs his Cannon. :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yuna, 2B, and George Costanza. :colbert:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 19, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You haven't lived until you've had a Skirmisher with the Borderlands Psycho voice pack

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nordick posted:

You haven't lived until you've had a Skirmisher with the Borderlands Psycho voice pack

I turned one into a Cerberus Trooper from Mass Effect once.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Reb Brown, Rex Power Colt, Mr. Torgue and Nick Havoc Parker.

If you don't leave the map a smoking, burning crater, you're doing it wrong.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Posters will continue until morale improves

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

People who play PC games but don't like mods just make me :psyduck:

That's the entire point of the platform!

I thought bearable graphics was the point

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I mean, if we're sharing bunches of posters, have a bunch with those Shadow Hunters I won't shut up about

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Posters!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogart posted:

Yuna, 2B, and George Costanza. :colbert:

GEORGE IS LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a way to type on posters using the steam controller? I had a pretty decent control setup but when it got to the photobooth screen, selecting a text box just brings up an on screen keyboard that doesn't allow any inputs and won't even let you manually type with the real keyboard, and I can't get rid of it. And what's the point of playing if I can't caption my photos.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My roster: 99% dva faced animes wearing DOA and GitS cheesecake outfits

1% Bob Ross Titanfall edition and his friend Julian

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And Raiden

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wish the DOA outfits would work on men. I’d love to put a crew of Psiops in Japanese schoolgirl outfits. It’s the only way I can feel.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bogart posted:

I wish the DOA outfits would work on men. I’d love to put a crew of Psiops in Japanese schoolgirl outfits. It’s the only way I can feel.

There's a mod that'll let you, regardless of the skeletal shenanigans.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

No.

Stop.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Xarbala posted:

There's a mod that'll let you, regardless of the skeletal shenanigans.

Link?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
download Unrestricted Customization to let you wear anything on anyone

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Moola posted:

Seriously. The UI is a mess at first, but the way it lets you mix and match poo poo is fantastic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Moola posted:

Yeah this

You need to actually set individual modded customization pieces for use on character models they weren't meant to. So if you want to make the Xcom equivalent of tall pikachu you need to manually enable it in-game with the new Edit UI the mod adds in.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there a good mod that doesn't make me completely change my dudes look when I research new armor? I quite like the look of default gear and the super sci-fi look of end-game gear but I don't care for looking like a shelf at Costco in the mid-game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Unrestricted Customization does that, too.

I actually didn't remember if the base game limited armor cosmetics based on tier, as I play with so many mods the idea genuinely baffled me for a second.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I am having gigantic problems with the first mission of avenger assemble on nightmare. Anyone have some good ideas? I keep dying on the second pod .

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Does anyone have a link to the thread for last game?

e: I'm specifically looking for that post about the best possible first month for II or w/e

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 19, 2018

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

I am having gigantic problems with the first mission of avenger assemble on nightmare. Anyone have some good ideas? I keep dying on the second pod .

Pods won't move if your stealthed reaper is spotting and far away from your main force. Set up overwatch traps.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

e: I'm specifically looking for that post about the best possible first month for II or w/e

You mean, like, ideal research / satellite purchase? I believe you wanna sell all you can for an immediate sat purchase, do the research into weapon frags, and start with uhhh Asia? Either cheaper squad size bonuses or 30% better across the board. When you have a bunch of interrogations and captures saved up, it’s time to get the continent bonus for We Have Ways.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

It's described in detail here. In brief: start with North America (for the substantial boost to starting money), excavate immediately, pick engineers from the first abduction and start a workshop no later than day 7, your satellites no later than day 11 and an uplink no later than day 17. This requires you to sell off quite a bit of stuff and not get unlucky in when the timing of your first abduction and ufo. You can also let the first ufo go if it shows up early enough to get a larger one to appear, but it's risky since even one more pod of sectoids is a noticeable increase in battlescape difficulty.

The thing is, battlescape difficulty in the first few months is by far the hardest part of I/I. Early on, it's much better to lose an entire funding nation than a single good soldier. If you have Enemy Within, the beeline to a flamethrower MEC gives you a better chance of winning than the satellite rush even though it makes the geoscape uglier.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bogart posted:

You mean, like, ideal research / satellite purchase? I believe you wanna sell all you can for an immediate sat purchase, do the research into weapon frags, and start with uhhh Asia? Either cheaper squad size bonuses or 30% better across the board. When you have a bunch of interrogations and captures saved up, it’s time to get the continent bonus for We Have Ways.

I am so glad bonuses are randomized and invisible until accessible now. I much prefer "hand you're dealt" gameplay but the temptation to savescum is high.

I still need to figure out good build orders though. Usually I dive for the power conduits, once you have those your only real concern is money and engineer/workshop optimization, but you're always running up against some sort of limit until you can get it all rolling.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Benagain posted:

Yeah, I wound up losing a guy on that mission and getting two more wounded. It's rough with nothing but squaddies; they give you some fairly nasty enemies considering just how little you've got to work with. The below is what I did, but it's not particularly clever or anything.... mostly just common sense combined with a bit of luck.

The first pod has to be taken down quick and hard as it's honestly the worst one on the map, so go ahead and pop Claymore for that, and use Combat Protocol to (hopefully) finish off the MEC. Abuse the high ground aim advantage if possible and try to stay in high cover. Save at least one or two explosives for the second pod. It's not very realistic to take all these guys out in one go, so prioritize killing the MEC and the stun lancer and pray the officer / trooper get lovely Aim rolls.

For the second pod blow whatever explosives you've got left to wreck their cover. Be very, very careful not to move up too far, as there's a turret on just the other side of the dropship. If at all possible, grenade the viper and then alpha strike it down - again, it is by far and away the biggest threat. Don't be afraid to move to good positions and Hunker Down for a better opportunity.. assuming you killed the viper already. Once the mobiles are all dead, move up and kill the turret at your leisure.

If you have the patience and the unrevealed reaper, it's handy to maneuver around the last pod and take them from the high ground on the left. You're almost certain to be out of explosives at this point and that +10 aim can be a lifesaver for squaddies. Again, don't be super aggressive; there's some decent full cover if you're willing to stand two or three tiles back from the edge of the cliff. Remember that your skirmisher can safely Wrath the purifier out of cover, so long as you start on the ground and use your second action to grapple up to the clifftop to safety before finishing it off.

Beyond that.... yeah. You need a certain level of good rolls. Fortunately, it's the first mission, so if things go badly you can always abandon the campaign and immediately restart with no score penalty...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Half of my mods weren't working so I did some stuff to get them working (verified files, deleted ActiveMods list in the .inis) and they work now but they've made my earth map have super low FPS and the game hang for a moment anytime I go into a soldier submenu. are any mods known to hit performance really hard for some reason? I have capnbubs accessories and resistance firearms, but nothing I'd expect would make the map slow.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Digirat posted:

Half of my mods weren't working so I did some stuff to get them working (verified files, deleted ActiveMods list in the .inis) and they work now but they've made my earth map have super low FPS and the game hang for a moment anytime I go into a soldier submenu. are any mods known to hit performance really hard for some reason? I have capnbubs accessories and resistance firearms, but nothing I'd expect would make the map slow.

Resistance Firearms can do it. It's an absurd amount of extra really high quality models to render and can turn the game into a slideshow

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

This fourth legacy campaign is a never ending series of nut punches. It's like they look at what kind of abilities the missions require and then give you the opposite.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zore posted:

Resistance Firearms can do it. It's an absurd amount of extra really high quality models to render and can turn the game into a slideshow

Well I'm not sure that's it because that mod worked before I got the other ones working and slowed the game down. The mods that weren't working but are now are Gotcha Again, Stop Wasting My Time, Smooth Scrolling, Show Health Values, Cost-Based Ability Icons and Evac All, none of which seem like they should matter on the earth map or soldier menus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Benagain posted:

Reminder: The win condition for this mission is NOT kill all enemies. You really aren't geared for that. My successful run I only killed one pod using the reaper to guide my way out. Wipe out the first pod with the officer using a claymore, sneak into the prison and bust out Shen, then run out the back. The last pod is camping the exit, so using the reaper to scout (I highly recommend using Gotcha Again mod) can make it so you don't activate them till everyone can dash to evac. You don't need the kills to get Gold either.