Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Is there a better/easier solution for Adhesive than just planting my own crops? I built my camp on the bank of a river with a junk pile adjacent, and I've got a Collectron going as well, so I'm good on most other mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Running around looking for glue and tape lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
you can make a habit of killing stuff like floaters, which also drop a lot of oil (the fire ones), and tend to spawn in groups of 6 in a lot of locations
there's a bunch of preset corn, tato and mutfruit to harvest though

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I don't think oil helps me? The freezer floater type does drop adhesive though, and I definitely pop those things whenever I see them. I just prefer passive mat generation so I can focus more on fun and less on grinding when I'm running around.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

bizwank posted:

Is there a better/easier solution for Adhesive than just planting my own crops? I built my camp on the bank of a river with a junk pile adjacent, and I've got a Collectron going as well, so I'm good on most other mats.

look under resources in the build menu for the sap collector and get it with atoms. otherwise I'd say make your second camp an adhesive farm and get the turbo-fert with bullion as your best bet.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

the paradigm shift posted:

look under resources in the build menu for the sap collector and get it with atoms. otherwise I'd say make your second camp an adhesive farm and get the turbo-fert with bullion as your best bet.

Is there something like this, but for screws?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I think you can always buy bulk screws or adhesive in the mall if caps aren't an issue for you.

If you are okay fighting them, I believe anglers are a good source of adhesive too, but the only real big groups of them will be jamborees, occasional hordes and they seem to be somewhat frequent waves when you capture certain workshops like Grafton Steel. If you can get a horde, post up somewhere and leave the boss alive to farm a bunch. I've done this before with yao goai and loose springs as well.

Adhesive farming is the surest bet, though. It WILL get annoying at times because supermutants can spot corn and tatos from miles away and they absolutely loathe the stuff.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Books On Tape posted:

Junk piles give up screws, just need to throw a Mineral Extractor on them (and it has to be inside your C.A.M.P.). That plan should unlock the first time you claim a public workshop.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Books On Tape posted:

Collectron set to junk works. It's not a lot, but it's passive and on-going.

Deathclaws and Wendigo drop screws.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You guys are really making me want to try 76. How annoying is it to onboard as a new player?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

SettingSun posted:

You guys are really making me want to try 76. How annoying is it to onboard as a new player?

It's great. It's extremely forgiving with builds and it's fun to explore. It has a very good player base (a few dicks, but you can just mute voices and communicate with emotes) There is a storyline, quests and whatnot. I'm actually liking it a bit more than fallout 4. Just make sure to turn on "casual mode" if you don't want to get griefed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SettingSun posted:

It's good and fine! Players are legit helpful and nice. Look for red boxes. Those are donations you can take freely.

I suggest opting for the level 20 jump at the start but starting at 1 is fine.

It's different enough from 4 that there are some adjustments to make but it's worth it. Never thought I'd love FO76 but it's all I play lately.

If you like building settlements, 76 is better, just on a smaller scale. Because it's online, the stuff you build actually matters.
Someone spawned in near my diner and spammed the "follow me" emote. We went over a hill and right there was their own diner! Different style and really cool!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

After my group started playing, helping each other along the way, it turned out one of our more reticent friends had started playing as well without telling any of us and when she did join us she was basically at max* level. So: pretty chill.

*level 50 is not actually max level but post 50 is like prestige levels.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
76 starts out more or less like the other Bethesda Fallouts. It lets you start at level 20, which you probably want to do. You'll get peppered with quests you can follow or not, they'll be there when you want to do them.

Being online, carry weight isn't possible to mod out, which has been annoying to get used to for me. Gotta keep that inventory clean. Weapons weigh a lot comparatively.

There's some always-online stuff like, always find a casual team to join for the INT boost and maybe someone's sharing a decent perk. There are public events regularly happening that you can join even if underleveled which will help in gaining levels, getting some of the more limited currencies, and also get the nearby fast travel spot unlocked without having to walk there.

You can wander the region alone like any other Fallout and enjoy the story. Sometimes you'll run into a neat CAMP that tries to extend the town its in, or be an obstacle course. Rarely someone's made a trap camp, which I haven't run into yet, but have heard about.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Inzombiac posted:

It's good and fine! Players are legit helpful and nice. Look for red boxes. Those are donations you can take freely.

I suggest opting for the level 20 jump at the start but starting at 1 is fine.

It's different enough from 4 that there are some adjustments to make but it's worth it. Never thought I'd love FO76 but it's all I play lately.

If you like building settlements, 76 is better, just on a smaller scale. Because it's online, the stuff you build actually matters.
Someone spawned in near my diner and spammed the "follow me" emote. We went over a hill and right there was their own diner! Different style and really cool!

On the other hand, a new player starting at level one may be better just so that they aren't overwhelmed by the perk card system. It's a slower start but everything is level scaled so it's NBD.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When you're getting started in 76, remember to just look in all the ammo boxes and duffel bags and you shouldn't ever have an ammo shortage.
like even if you have zero ammo, go find some ammo boxes or duffel bags and the will have some to get you going again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Entorwellian posted:

On the other hand, a new player starting at level one may be better just so that they aren't overwhelmed by the perk card system. It's a slower start but everything is level scaled so it's NBD.

That's a good point. I did the 20 boost and it took me a couple hours to get settled.

Another tip: It won't matter at first but eventually you'll want to pick a weapon class and generally stick with it because getting all the associated perk cards can take a while. You'll get them all eventually but focusing early can help smooth things out.

Commando is the all-rounder. I snipe with a commando build, so don't think you HAVE to be Rifleman for that.

Sneaky builds are good fun and very powerful but essentially get no use in public events. My commando build still has sneak skills, they just aren't utilized some of the time.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I don't regret starting at level 1, a bud is happy he started at 20. If you don't mind spending a few hours shooting poo poo guns, level 1 is perfectly fine.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Starting at 1, imo, is if you like your Fallout experience to be that dire survivalist against the elements who solves their logistics and food problems and breaks the game over it's knee.

Starting at 20 feels like when you want to hop into Fallout to try out some weird build you thought or heard of but don't want to spend a bunch of samey time getting online.

If it was my first time I'd probably start at 1, but if you have a friend who is starting after you and just wants to shoot poo poo I'd tell them to start at 20.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat you guys weren't kidding about the expedition XP. I finished the first AC one earlier today and between combat XP and the rewards at the end I think I got 3 levels from it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep all that in mind moving forward.

In case no one’s told you/the way people were talking wasn’t obvious, the Lone Wanderer perk DOES work if you have Dogmeat and only Dogmeat accompanying you in fallout 4.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Entorwellian posted:

I found it to be the other way around. It was way harder to choose from the huge amount at level 1, but starting at level 20 gave me a sensible and balanced perk card build that is better than I would have had at level 20 unless I was using a step-by-step guide or something.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My only issue with the perk cards so far is that I keep forgetting to switch into/out of my "crafting" loudout at my CAMP. I think I need to reconfigure my floorplan so the punch card machine is right at the front door to remind me. I might try that perk loudout manager too, or at least until I have enough SPECIAL points that I can afford to keep my lockpicking/hacking perks on all the time.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I put the SPECIAL stand right by my front door early on. It sucks to forget to change your loadout, especially once the difference between your camp loadout and your general loadout is several hundred percent of damage.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bizwank posted:

My only issue with the perk cards so far is that I keep forgetting to switch into/out of my "crafting" loudout at my CAMP. I think I need to reconfigure my floorplan so the punch card machine is right at the front door to remind me. I might try that perk loudout manager too, or at least until I have enough SPECIAL points that I can afford to keep my lockpicking/hacking perks on all the time.

There's a legendary perk you can get at 50 that makes all the lock picking and hacking cards obsolete.
It's like the devs admitting it's a stupid investment.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Inzombiac posted:

There's a legendary perk you can get at 50 that makes all the lock picking and hacking cards obsolete.
It's like the devs admitting it's a stupid investment.

And if you max that perk it just skips the minigame entirely and automatically completes the hack/lockpick. It is a real nice QOL legendary.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

bizwank posted:

The way I always know is that my camp build has no weight reduction perks so I'll immediately go from 100/300ish to 700/300 in weight

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

explosivo posted:

drat you guys weren't kidding about the expedition XP. I finished the first AC one earlier today and between combat XP and the rewards at the end I think I got 3 levels from it.

honestly don't know why people are reluctant to do these, it's hard to fill a team for them most of the time :shrug:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

Starting at 1, imo, is if you like your Fallout experience to be that dire survivalist against the elements who solves their logistics and food problems and breaks the game over it's knee.

I started at 20 because of my recent experience playing FFXIV. now I kinda wish I hadn't

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Arivia posted:

In case no one’s told you/the way people were talking wasn’t obvious, the Lone Wanderer perk DOES work if you have Dogmeat and only Dogmeat accompanying you in fallout 4.

My brother actually explained it to me beforehand. He's a FO4 superfan so he's been watching me stream on discord, thankfully mostly biting his tongue lol.

I'm gonna try to drag his rear end into FO76 this

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Every enemy scales with you, within the lvl boundaries for each part of the map.
You missed out on a whole lot of machetes and pipe revolvers, while having no perk cards or attributes to speak of.

e; the quests don't really send you there, but Toxic Valley (northwest) is where you should hang around after clearing the mid-western starting area.
After that Ashlands in the southwest and/or the centre of the middle mountainous part (around Rose's tower and Foundation)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 16, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

AndrewP posted:

I started at 20 because of my recent experience playing FFXIV. now I kinda wish I hadn't

make another character, the cool kids have a lot of characters

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I've been playing 76 for a few months now and I'm surprised at how much I love this game. Great userbase, lots of fun costumes and gear. Tons of mechanical flexibility. So far I've dragged one of my partners, one of my kids, and two of my friends into the game with me and I've gotten up to Lv90. I'm on version 4.75 of my camp and I'm finally feeling like my setup is sufficiently Fallout-y. I ultimately need to figure out how to get my hands on plans for Antler Chandeliers and some bone-based clutter, and I'm farming the Mothman Equinox event to try and get my hands on the Mothman Throne. I'm pretty happy with how it's looking given my current resources, though!

I'm parked directly outside Point Pleasant and it's been really nice seeing people make use of the convenient location, and they seem to like the camp a lot too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Funny thing I noticed about both FO4 and now 76 (thanks for the tips btw) is that the writer does not seem to know how to use 'it's' correctly. I've never seen it used correctly in any subtitle.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

SettingSun posted:

I just started a few weeks ago. I did from level 1 and yeah all the main quests is more than enough to get you to 50. Having a blast and might even skip the new d4 season to keep playing this (even though that's supposedly really good too!)

Honestly for me the worst part was level 30 to 40 since I didn't have any good plans for weapons or armor and didn't have enough ballistic fiber to repair or make new stuff. Had to take a bit of time to read some guides to get back to a state where I was easily killing mobs again

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

honestly after like a thousand hours I just can't be hosed with the build changer. I just swap out nerd rage for weapon artisan or armor smith and hopefully I notice and swap back before I get one shot at an event

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hanyolo posted:

I just started a few weeks ago. I did from level 1 and yeah all the main quests is more than enough to get you to 50. Having a blast and might even skip the new d4 season to keep playing this (even though that's supposedly really good too!)

Honestly for me the worst part was level 30 to 40 since I didn't have any good plans for weapons or armor and didn't have enough ballistic fiber to repair or make new stuff. Had to take a bit of time to read some guides to get back to a state where I was easily killing mobs again

you kind of have to start looking at the wiki to learn where some of this poo poo is, e.g. ballistic fiber is a fairly common clutter item in all of the army/brotherhood locations (ammo bag clutter items just laying around) and where there's a lot of random loose plans laying around (the various big kitchens and open markets are good for that)
also where the big POI lootboxes are

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

-Fish- posted:

I've been playing 76 for a few months now and I'm surprised at how much I love this game.

Looks sick!

Help, I can't decide. I love them all.

Taking the AOE melee legendary perk means all automatic melee weapons are INSANE.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was wondering "people weren't kidding when they said the core recharger was slow, its been like 5 hours of real world time and none of these have increased in charge at all"

and then i realized the charger was wired into something that wasn't actually connected to the power grid. And now it works. One thing that does kinda bug me is fusion cores vanished after they're depleted, so if you use a gattling laser, you'd need to reload before it fully expends its entire charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Looks sick!

Help, I can't decide. I love them all.

Taking the AOE melee legendary perk means all automatic melee weapons are INSANE.

vampire + ricochet perk is a very good way to stay alive during resiliant mutation events, whenever those come back ofc