Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Andarel posted:

That's a phrase I had hoped to hear only once this summer...

It's not about being white, its about being English. Anyone can be an Englishman :britain:

It's not like the Russians ever invented anything, or the Germans. All they do is copy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jedit posted:

ASL is usually the question.

Oh, right, yeah, I usually get that mixed up. I forgot, "mental disorder" is the answer.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

It's not about being white, its about being English. Anyone can be an Englishman :britain:

It's not like the Russians ever invented anything, or the Germans. All they do is copy!

Is this a movable type joke?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Friend got gifted Zombicide Season 1 for his birthday, we played it over the weekend and it seemed pretty average with an undercurrent of money grubbing. Do any of the expansions add strategy or at least spice up the missions a bit? It's a bit harsh to bag on his gift from a well meaning relative and some people enjoyed it enough that I think he'll probably want more.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jedit posted:

Pre-2000 games I'll happily play: Fury of Dracula, Warrior Knights, Britannia, Advanced Civilization, Star Fleet Battles, Kings & Things, Lords of Creation, Space Hulk. I seem to recall that Fief: France 1429 is based on a design from 1981 as well, though I'd have to look it up to see what the differences are.

Are the Fief expansions worth getting? I haven't even played my original yet but I'm a dirty completionist and there arent many copies left floating around.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As an American of English descent, I am here to proudly take credit for the development of agriculture.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm not sure what this thread's consensus on one of the Anticipated Games of the Year is, but when you just play the game with no expectations, Scythe is a really fun interesting game that I would happily keep replaying.

Yey to no expectations!

Replace the word "expectations" with "standards" and this post is much more accurate.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This is the way I store games like Dungeon Lords (related to a conversation a few pages back):

It's just a modified Kallax with a wall removed.

With more games of that size, there's a chance of dinner plating them, though. But there's no way to stand them up and display them unless you have some wacky shelves.

Also I bought Arboretum a little while ago after seeing a SU&SD review on it - it's a pretty chill game with a surprising amount of strategy, as you're trying to get some sweet trees but also paying attention to other people to see if you'll be able to actually get points from your trees. Plus the box and card art is quite nice.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Kiranamos posted:

Replace the word "expectations" with "standards" and this post is much more accurate.

Sneer aside, what's wrong with it? I can see not being taken by it, but you seem to be indicating it's objectively bad.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fat Turkey posted:

Sneer aside, what's wrong with it? I can see not being taken by it, but you seem to be indicating it's objectively bad.

It's because it's popular.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I tried Tales of the Arabian Nights last night. Someone posted in this thread that it's like a less fiddly version of Talisman or Arkham, and I can agree with that - in either case the actual fun of the game comes from socially interpolating narrative into what's happening on board. The book is annoying as poo poo, though. I was just about to post that this game would do well with app support, but then I googled and someone made an app.

And then we played Codenames (finally - I've had a copy since June and people have always vetoed it in favour of more familiar social games) and that was a ridiculous amount of fun even with only four players.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

All those high quality components and that attractive artwork must be overcompensating for something! And minis are toys for children! If it was truly a great game it would look homemade, cost twice as much, and be nearly impossible to find.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Old game chat:

Up Front- Avalon Hill ww2 squad based card game
Kingmaker- Avalon Hill war of the roses simulator
Rise of the Luftwaffe- GMT ww2 dogfight card game

All of these have some problems, the card games are single deck and kingmaker has a lot of 80's rng. But they are still good and when i play with my old fogey group we get them on the table occasionally

E: oh also Up Front was years ahead of its time and i'd love to see a remake or something but the d-day dice people hosed that one forever

Fellis fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 22, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

Are the Fief expansions worth getting? I haven't even played my original yet but I'm a dirty completionist and there arent many copies left floating around.

I don't know, I haven't played the expansions either. I would say by looking that Templars and Teutonic Knights are worth adding but you don't play both at the same time. Crusades may overcomplicate and extend what was already a long and complex game, but by all means indulge your urges.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fellis posted:

Old game chat:

Up Front- Avalon Hill ww2 squad based card game
Kingmaker- Avalon Hill war of the roses simulator
Rise of the Luftwaffe- GMT ww2 dogfight card game

All of these have some problems, the card games are single deck and kingmaker has a lot of 80's rng. But they are still good and when i play with my old fogey group we get them on the table occasionally

E: oh also Up Front was years ahead of its time and i'd love to see a remake or something but the d-day dice people hosed that one forever

Up Front is available in a reprint, but you have to print out the rules and make the counters yourself.

Still worth it, it's a great game.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/148406/Up-Front-Complete-Game-BUNDLE

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Is there any significant difference between Age of Empires III and Age of Discovery? Trying to decide whether to plop down the cash to grab either of them.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Fellis posted:

I can't tell you how much this pains me. That fucker needs to be bled out for what he did - basically defrauded a shitload of people for a shitload of money on a classic game, and then ran off.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

SlyFrog posted:

I can't tell you how much this pains me. That fucker needs to be bled out for what he did - basically defrauded a shitload of people for a shitload of money on a classic game, and then ran off.

Is there a good write-up of this? A quick search reveals 3 self-linking BGG threads with half of the images broken.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone who is getting into Agricola rather late in the game-- What's the deal with Farmer's of the Moor? Is it considered an essential expansion, completely useless, or somewhere in-between? For a game that has been played thousands of time online and is considered to have a "competitive' scene, I'm assuming there must be strong opinions on it either way.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Single Tight Female posted:

Friend got gifted Zombicide Season 1 for his birthday, we played it over the weekend and it seemed pretty average with an undercurrent of money grubbing. Do any of the expansions add strategy or at least spice up the missions a bit? It's a bit harsh to bag on his gift from a well meaning relative and some people enjoyed it enough that I think he'll probably want more.

The original Zombicide had some questionable design decisions. In particular, how friendly fire worked. If you fire into another square, and another player was also there, you would target them before anything else. This was dumb and made no sense. And some characters are flat out better than others.

If you were to get another one, go for Black Plague, which is more of a standalone than an expansion. This fixes the above weirdness by saying that only misses hit your allies. Hits target zombies normally. There's also a new mechanic in the Necromancer. Basically, when he spawns he creates a new spawn zone for zombies, so there's a nice horde mechanic going on. The items you are able to get are better too (spells and crossbows and swords) and if you get the expansion to that, Wulfsburg, there are magic items too.

Zombicide still isn't a great game but it does scratch that mow-down-your-enemies-and-level-up arcade itch for me.

Edit: Oh, and probably the best thing is Black Plague comes with really spiffy plastic player trays for all your stuff, instead of that big card the original game had.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 22, 2016

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I should say that there are good old books. I'm not trying to diss Don Quixote here. I know the novel developed out of an established tradition of English drama and poetry that was really good, since those forms had been carried down intact from the Greeks and Romans who developed them. I still reckon that the craft of writing has evolved with the times, and that it's possible for writers to build on older work and improve their skills over the centuries.

I think the situation with, uh, "books" is a lot like it is with music. Scholars, composers and musicians today have access to much more music and theory and instrument choices than their predecessors. And clearly, many listeners prefer newer music and will not often seek out centuries old formal music... but it's not like Beethoven has been rendered obsolete. There is not some "Uberhoven" that's just Beethoven but better. It's not a walk up a single hill, it's an exploration of a vast space - with some new frontiers getting mapped for the first time, and some old ones not seeing many visitors.

I think we're in a real golden age of boardgames, with most of my favorite games being produced in the last 5 years - but I don't expect that to continue to be true. While boardgames are certainly less wildly variant than music or books, they are nonetheless surprisingly unique and not always subject to iterative improvement. Nobody appears to be taking all the things that make Tigris & Euphrates and making some game that's just "10% better in every way". I think we may end up with periods of boardgame design that represent the pinnacle implementations of certain ideas or styles, and we may find those games last a long time.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 22, 2016

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

COOL CORN posted:

Up Front is available in a reprint, but you have to print out the rules and make the counters yourself.

Still worth it, it's a great game.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/148406/Up-Front-Complete-Game-BUNDLE

Thanks, but i have a copy in near mint condition (banzai too) cause my dad bought new copies when they stopped printing it for me :smug: (when i was in elementary school).

We looked up what the going price was on ebay when we popped the shrink wrap on those in 2009, a nice $400.

E: also i meant a remake, id love to see a rules revamp to get some of the fiddly parts out of the game. A lot of the expanded rules are just blegh and i just play without them.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 22, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

As someone who is getting into Agricola rather late in the game-- What's the deal with Farmer's of the Moor? Is it considered an essential expansion, completely useless, or somewhere in-between? For a game that has been played thousands of time online and is considered to have a "competitive' scene, I'm assuming there must be strong opinions on it either way.

I consider Farmer of the Moor to be essential if you play a lot of Agricola, I never play without it personally. It makes the area control farm mini-game actually matter. In typical Agricola your farm will almost always look fairly identical, not so with Farmers of the Moore. You have to work around the moor and woods tiles, so you end up building in some funky shapes!

I would not play it with new players though. It just adds more complexity into the side of Agricola, and makes the game take longer. its best solo or with two.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

jmzero posted:

I think the situation with, uh, "books" is a lot like it is with music. Scholars, composers and musicians today have access to much more music and theory and instrument choices than their predecessors. And clearly, many listeners prefer newer music and will not often seek out centuries old formal music... but it's not like Beethoven has been rendered obsolete. There is not some "Uberhoven" that's just Beethoven but better. It's not a walk up a single hill, it's an exploration of a vast space - with some new frontiers getting mapped for the first time, and some old ones not seeing many visitors.

I think we're in a real golden age of boardgames, with most of my favorite games being produced in the last 5 years - but I don't expect that to continue to be true. While boardgames are certainly less wildly variant than music or books, they are nonetheless surprisingly unique and not always subject to iterative improvement. Nobody appears to be taking all the things that make Tigris & Euphrates and making some game that's just "10% better in every way". I think we may end up with periods of boardgame design that represent the pinnacle implementations of certain ideas or styles, and we may find those games last a long time.

Sounds about right. It might be easier to write a "great" book today than at any point in the past, but that doesn't mean today's books are categorically better than old ones. Similarly, there's no game that's just chess or mancala but better, even though way more good boardgames are being published now than ever before.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Chess 2 would like a word with you.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Morpheus posted:

Also I bought Arboretum a little while ago after seeing a SU&SD review on it - it's a pretty chill game with a surprising amount of strategy, as you're trying to get some sweet trees but also paying attention to other people to see if you'll be able to actually get points from your trees. Plus the box and card art is quite nice.

Just found out I work with the dude who made Arboretum, after playtesting his new game which is getting published soon (Blood of an Englishman)

Blood of an Englishman is loving awesome and I'm real excited to get a real copy of it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dire Wombat posted:

Sounds about right. It might be easier to write a "great" book today than at any point in the past, but that doesn't mean today's books are categorically better than old ones. Similarly, there's no game that's just chess or mancala but better, even though way more good boardgames are being published now than ever before.

I would call Hive a genuine improvement on Chess. Even ancient people would appreciate the fact that it doesn't need a board.

Edit: also Shogi is just chess but better, but that game is as old as the hills too! Being able to drop your opponents pieces adds an entire different dimension to the game.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 22, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

COOL CORN posted:

I didn't see what the question was, but this is the answer

"Why are you doing this to yourself?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Andarel posted:

Chess 2 would like a word with you.

Chess 2 is worse than Chess.

Rutibex posted:

I would call Hive a genuine improvement on Chess. Even ancient people would appreciate the fact that it doesn't need a board.

Edit: also Shogi is just chess but better, but that game is as old as the hills too! Being able to drop your opponents pieces adds an entire different dimension to the game.

I disagree on Hive being better. I strongly agree that Shogi is chess but better, and yes, it's also super duper old. The limited movement making you construct your castle out of pieces yourself is also a huge part of the game.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

CaptainRightful posted:

All those high quality components and that attractive artwork must be overcompensating for something! And minis are toys for children! If it was truly a great game it would look homemade, cost twice as much, and be nearly impossible to find.
I'm not coming in and snarking about a game I haven't played, so maybe your post isn't meant for me anyway.

But I think for many of us, it's just that the hype is obviously for all those things, not for the actual gameplay, which can't be judged by hype. If people are still talking about it in this thread in a year or two, I'll pick it up. But right now I'd be better off grabbing Dungeon Petz or Kemet or something that I know is great instead of taking a chance on a game that I know is pretty but might be lame in the end.

Of course, for those people in the thread who own hundreds of games, I expect them to pick this up. I own maybe 20 games, give or take, so I have no incentive to buy into hype when there are legit classics that everyone should have that I don't yet own.

I've seen the cycle on this thread and where is the love now for Alien Frontiers? Stone Age? Risk Legacy? They were each hyped up in this thread when they came out and now nobody ever bothers to recommend them for anything.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Is there a list somewhere of the good stuff in the Tabletop Simulator workshop? I've found that I prefer playing games in it when it's just 1 or 2 other people, but just getting games I already own is getting a bit boring.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I would hesitate to call Up Front a bad game but I think it's one of the most overrated wargames ever. I actually really love the core gameplay and I find the chrome and complexity tolerable, but the fact that it's a single deck card game means you will occasionally play a game that is like two hours of discarding because both players keep drawing cards that the other player needs. It's incredibly frustrating.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

I'm not coming in and snarking about a game I haven't played, so maybe your post isn't meant for me anyway.

But I think for many of us, it's just that the hype is obviously for all those things, not for the actual gameplay, which can't be judged by hype. If people are still talking about it in this thread in a year or two, I'll pick it up. But right now I'd be better off grabbing Dungeon Petz or Kemet or something that I know is great instead of taking a chance on a game that I know is pretty but might be lame in the end.

Of course, for those people in the thread who own hundreds of games, I expect them to pick this up. I own maybe 20 games, give or take, so I have no incentive to buy into hype when there are legit classics that everyone should have that I don't yet own.

I've seen the cycle on this thread and where is the love now for Alien Frontiers? Stone Age? Risk Legacy? They were each hyped up in this thread when they came out and now nobody ever bothers to recommend them for anything.

This is solid.

Just curious, what do you (singular and collectively) consider to be the must own classics everyone should own?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Kruller posted:

Is there a list somewhere of the good stuff in the Tabletop Simulator workshop? I've found that I prefer playing games in it when it's just 1 or 2 other people, but just getting games I already own is getting a bit boring.

Uh, I don't have one yet, but using this as an impetus I'll attempt to clear up my TTS list and post the notable ones of HQ scans or worthwhile games (hopefully a good combo of those).
It might take a bit though as I've subscribed to a lot of mods.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

This is solid.

Just curious, what do you (singular and collectively) consider to be the must own classics everyone should own?

Everyone should own the games that 1) are their favorites, and would play anytime somebody offered, and 2) the games that they still like that they can reliably get to the table.

"Classic" is meaningless if it isn't one of the above.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Alien Frontiers got unhyped real fast, yeah. Risk Legacy eh I think people who got a group to play it enjoyed it well enough. Stone Age is still a really good super quick worker placement and making the mating hut noise that bsw used to make is even better. :c00lbert:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember for a while it seemed like Kemet was all anyone talked about, then nothing. Kemet has been discussed several times recently though, a bit of a resurgence. Even good games with some lasting appeal aren't discussed constantly.

I would legit play Alien Frontiers anytime, but there are some players I'd eat my own foot before I played it with again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

I remember for a while it seemed like Kemet was all anyone talked about, then nothing. Kemet has been discussed several times recently though, a bit of a resurgence. Even good games with some lasting appeal aren't discussed constantly.

I would legit play Alien Frontiers anytime, but there are some players I'd eat my own foot before I played it with again.

Eat Your Own Foot sounds like a legacy game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

We don't usually discuss playing strategies in the thread. It's usually what's coming out soon (hype), opinions (recently played), suggestions (WSIG), or some sort of esoteric derail (Rutibex). 2 of those four will skew toward newer releases, one may or may not, and the other who knows. That doesn't necessarily mean that older games are worse, but there have been improvements in the design processes/philosophies that will make newer games easier to release. Don't worry, Dominion is safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

homullus posted:

Everyone should own the games that 1) are their favorites, and would play anytime somebody offered, and 2) the games that they still like that they can reliably get to the table.

"Classic" is meaningless if it isn't one of the above.
There's a pretty good reason not to buy those classics like Agricola, even. You can expect someone to own them and can just ask for people to bring them to meetups, and board game cafés can safely be expected to have the big names around.