Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

People get real stupid when it comes to the US, both in irrational love and irrational hate

I mean yeah some redneck in a truck saying how much he loves this great nation is dumb as poo poo, but the fat white twitter rat typing furiously on their phone about demon cracker country bad is even dumber and also probably smells worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Doing "my country is infinity awful +1!" in a contest of whose global empire is more evil is a waste of time.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Every global empire is evil. This has been true since the Spanish empire became the first global empire. But every empire is built on the bones of the conquered, and should be opposed as much as possible. But we like separating things out into binaries and, worse, assuming that everyone we oppose must be doing the same.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

im not american but that was an amazing display of americocentrism lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The US is poo poo compared to the rest of the western world. it could however, be worse.

The thing that Americans really can't grasp though, is that nobody really gives too much of a poo poo about America or Americans, outside of their country. We all have our own business, until the UK or the Germans or the Russians or the Chinese or the Americans decide to do a little bit of imperialism

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Apr 23, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I don't know who the gently caress Rudd or Ginsberg are, barely anyone in my country does, because we don't give a poo poo. That information will frankly never impact our lives in any meaningful way. I can't even come up with any other names because I don't give a poo poo to remember them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We can tell how little you care by the fact that you guys won't shut the gently caress up about our country

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

We can tell how little you care by the fact that you guys won't shut the gently caress up about our country

The only english language gossip you will ever get is from people who are on American-centric online spaces (Because non American centric online spacea are mostly Chinese / Portuguese speaking), or when it's in the news talking about you

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Great, and why do you feel the constant need to talk about a country you know nothing about

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

alexandriao posted:

im not american

My condolences

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's funny trying to get a "you're not worth caring about" insult in while obsessing constantly about the subject. That's something you have to set up beforehand

Especially when americans are the reigning kings and queens of not giving the first gently caress about other countries. There are like three places in the world that matter and whatever shitbird fuckhill these people are from ain't one of them

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'll grant you that Americans are sort of the New Yorkers of the world -- we think that our little patch of real estate is the only one that matters, and so we expect everyone to get all our local nicknames and references.

(Such as, in this case, my expecting all you non-Americans to know the stereotype of the New Yorker who's only vaguely aware there's anything west of Newark.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Great, and why do you feel the constant need to talk about a country you know nothing about

Being Hegemon has certain caveats.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

I'll grant you that Americans are sort of the New Yorkers of the world -- we think that our little patch of real estate is the only one that matters, and so we expect everyone to get all our local nicknames and references.

(Such as, in this case, my expecting all you non-Americans to know the stereotype of the New Yorker who's only vaguely aware there's anything west of Newark.)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Having lived inside and outside of America, I can confirm that the extent to which Americans are able to comfortably know absolutely nothing about the rest of the world far outstrips the rest of the world’s ability to not know about America.

The bubble is powerful. I once lost track of who was leading the political party I’d worked for in my home country because of the US news event horizon. I can’t cleverly retort to the remark about knowing nothing about Ginsberg and Rudd because I don’t event know the names of the people I’m supposed to shock you by claiming I know nothing about.

doingitwrong has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Apr 23, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Finland is about to join NATO, and I support it. Not because the US is good, but because Russia is worse.

We don't get to choose the world we live in. Just try to have a good time, don't hurt anyone, and maybe have some principles too but I know for a lot of people that's asking too much.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

doverhog posted:

Not because the US is good, but because Russia is worse.

Yeah, the following left-wing politics goon reasoning 'everything AmeriKKKa does is bad, therefore, everyone who opposes America is unequivocally good' is totally stupid

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

alexandriao posted:

I don't know who the gently caress Rudd or Ginsberg are,

Paul Rudd is an actor who eternally looks young, hope this helps

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Opposite unpopular opinion, global empire is inevitable and the more we can fetter its worst excesses with ideologies like 'human rights' the better

Also the US needs to stop complaining about how much it has to spend on European defence, wars in the Middle East, etc. That's the cost of ruling the world. We aren't enforcing US taxation, imposing US intellectual property law, extraditing people wanted by the US, hosting US military bases or tolerating backwards US politicians and priests for our own amusement.

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Apr 23, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Incorrect reading of a post.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Apr 23, 2022

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
No they are saying the opposite in that we need to fetter the bad tendencies of empire with an actual belief in human rights as we establish our One World government.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh I do apologies! I quite misread that.

I would still disagree, I am unsure that a Hegemon is an inevitability or desirable, and it should not be countenanced by pretending that this is the best it can get, but I can only be sorry for the misread.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Apr 23, 2022

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

doverhog posted:

We don't get to choose the world we live in.

and these are the hands we're given
use them and let's start trying
to make it a place worth living in

oh, Superman, where are you now
when everything's gone wrong somehow?
the men of steel, the men of power
are losing control by the hour

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/beijingpalmer/status/1517924376263471105?s=21&t=yC2X5w7jxu-9laV67mm5Zw

gently caress pastoralism

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

alexandriao posted:

The US is poo poo compared to the rest of the western world. it could however, be worse.

The thing that Americans really can't grasp though, is that nobody really gives too much of a poo poo about America or Americans, outside of their country. We all have our own business, until the UK or the Germans or the Russians or the Chinese or the Americans decide to do a little bit of imperialism

I swear every time I see your avatar you're talking about Americans

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

aardwolf posted:

and these are the hands we're given
use them and let's start trying
to make it a place worth living in

oh, Superman, where are you now
when everything's gone wrong somehow?
the men of steel, the men of power
are losing control by the hour

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yeah those people are sooooooooo stupid

They'll whine about the evils of modern agriculture and then in the same breath complain that food prices are too high or that it is too hard to buy almost any type of food you could ever want in a supermarket

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

silence_kit posted:

Yeah those people are sooooooooo stupid

They'll whine about the evils of modern agriculture and then in the same breath complain that food prices are too high or that it is too hard to buy almost any type of food you could ever want in a supermarket

It's good to complain about the damage that industrialised farming can do to the environment, its not wanting to go back to doing things in the same way as 18th century folks, it's about wanting to recognise bad things and working to change them.

Also food is a human right and we should ensure that everyone is fed, watered, clothed and housed. Especially as we have the means to do so. This may involve taking things away from the very wealthiest people and that is also okay.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Josef bugman posted:

It's good to complain about the damage that industrialised farming can do to the environment, its not wanting to go back to doing things in the same way as 18th century folks, it's about wanting to recognise bad things and working to change them.

No with these people the issues that they have with modern farming are always really vague, they often can't put their finger on why they take issue with modern farming, and they don't really offer practical alternatives. Their beliefs can be summarized as 'if it is natural, then it is good' and the inverse, whatever 'natural' really means.

I think they are mainly upset by the fact that agriculture is an industrial process and not a 'natural', artisan process. Of course, they wouldn't want to live in the world where industrial agricultural production was wholly replaced by artisan/hobbyist/subsistence farming, and do not understand the implications of that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean industrialisation of farming can possess very big downsides. We should look at how chickens raised in battery farms will peck each other to death or go bald from stress, or the process of making pate or veal and go "maybe we should change how this is done". It's alright for people to not have an immediate plan for it but to register discomfort or objections with a system and try and get people who do know more to resolve it or come up with a different set up. Sometimes that will not be possible of course "you cannot create water here to grow wheat, so we can't do it" as an example. But it is important to explain that as opposed to just going "no."

I do think that a big problem is that there isn't much care taken with how to do farming in more sustainable ways, it may still be industrialised, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the soil or of the lives of farmers.

Everything and everyone deserves an explanation if one can be given for something.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Sri Lanka banned all chemical fertilizers last year, going to a 100% organic fertilizer, and lost a lot of agricultural capacity, making their ongoing financial crisis a lot worse because people need food to live.

People don’t understand that organic doesn’t mean always good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
As an english speaking internet traveller I admit I know quite a lot about America despite never having been there. Places like Reddit/SA are technically melting pots of various nationalities but with a bulk of Americans and brits. They all speak English so they're easy to communicate with. As a Swede, I can't go to a french website or a german forum etc and talk to those weirdos because they always seem to prefer to speak their languages instead of English. So I mostly talk to Americans, brits and Scandinavians, who can actually speak fluent english online, and listen to their news/gossip/whatever and learn about their culture that way.

Also, all hollywood movies that make up 90% of all movies we watch in this country makes it impossible to not learn stuff about America all the time

Zzulu has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Apr 24, 2022

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

People don’t understand that organic doesn’t mean always good.

It doesn't, belladonna is a herb and arsenic is natural. Natural stuff isn't great just because it's natural.

However it does not automatically mean that trying to change the way things are done will not have more deleterious effects in the future. Like if the soil runs out of capacity to grow food entirely a financial crisis will seem positively quaint.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

I swear every time I see your avatar you're talking about Americans

visit other threads

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

Sri Lanka banned all chemical fertilizers last year, going to a 100% organic fertilizer, and lost a lot of agricultural capacity, making their ongoing financial crisis a lot worse because people need food to live.

People don’t understand that organic doesn’t mean always good

Yes, but purely chemical approaches to agriculture are causing a shortage of nutrients in our foods, because we're bleeding the soil dry of them. The thing that hydrophonics learned early is pure NPK is not enough for plants to thrive, or be nutritious. Some recent studies have come up with the result that our food is actually getting less nutritious and good for us over time. It objectively provides less micronutrients now than it did decades ago.

As someone who's been deficient in a variety of micronutrients the only thing i can say is: Yikes! That's Not Good!!!

Semi-related but re: sustainable agri practices. There's a myth that it takes about 100 acres to feed a chicken. Some guy got like 300 of them to an acre sustainably by just letting them act as a natural pest control. He gave them free roam in the crop field and found they would hardly touch the crop, but would absolutely fuckup lil pests trying to eat the crop

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Apr 24, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

it also used to be a noun, not an adjective. "the problematic surrounding X" meaning the set of theoretical problems around something, not that something is a problem

But it used to be an adjective before it used to be a noun, just like "panic" etc.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

alexandriao posted:

Yes, but purely chemical approaches to agriculture are causing a shortage of nutrients in our foods, because we're bleeding the soil dry of them. The thing that hydrophonics learned early is pure NPK is not enough for plants to thrive, or be nutritious. Some recent studies have come up with the result that our food is actually getting less nutritious and good for us over time. It objectively provides less micronutrients now than it did decades ago.

Almost certainly this is not true and a bunch of people who believe 'if it is natural, it is good, and if it is not natural, then it is not good' have cherry-picked some kind of result and cooked up some kind of figure of merit which allows them to reach the conclusion that they wanted to reach.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

silence_kit posted:

Almost certainly this is not true and a bunch of people who believe 'if it is natural, it is good, and if it is not natural, then it is not good' have cherry-picked some kind of result and cooked up some kind of figure of merit which allows them to reach the conclusion that they wanted to reach.

"I'm not going to ask to see the studies, but it goes against my priors so it must be wrong" is one of the things you are arguing against by doing it. We aren't discussing moral theories, but observable reality.

I would still appreciate seeing the studies, because it could very well be wrong, but I'd still need to see them first.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ok I dug out the places I read about it before - it comes under "soil depletion", "soil degradation", and "tillage erosion"

Basically it's a multi-factor process, but as a result of constant tilling of land, climate change/global warming/whatever you want to call it, and micronutrient depletion, it's becoming generally harder to grow crops because the actual mineral and (chemically) organic compounds they require from the soil are being destroyed or depleted over time. As side effect of this is that crops are also less nutritious to us over time, and the proportion of vitamins and minerals are lessening with each new crop as there's no replacement source for it.

Because of this we're seeing agricultural land actively turn into deserts and lose their ecological diversity: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/02/220216112227.htm

The places where I initially read about this were from a bunch of hydrophonics research papers about 5 years ago. The reason we are not currently getting all our food from vertically stacked hydrophobics farms is because no matter how you get down to it, plants need minerals and complex organic compounds to thrive, and it's difficult to consistently shove these minerals at these plants because, say, spray heads will gradually clog when you introduce magnesium and calcium to the mix, and most other growth methods you end up with mold on the roots or some other lovely outcome. The cool (read: poo poo) thing about this is the main sources of NPK come from potash, which is non-renewable. If we do manage to get rid of climate change, running out of potash is going to be the next big problem that we have to figure out.

While silence_kit is right that it absolutely is NaturalNews fodder, the thing about Natural News is their stuff occasionally has some sort of grounding in recent research, which is then heavily editorialized (and often the papers themselves rehosted and judiciously edited) to support the Natural Organic Free-GMO Prepper scammers' positions.

Anyway, the claim traces back to a Scientific American article on it which boils down to "Yes" (Which leads back to a UoT paper that's unlinked, published back in '04 in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition). There's a more recent New Scientist article which boils down to "Yes, but it's complicated", but is unfortunately paywalled, which is about what you would expect for scientific research journalism lol.

A gscholar search led me to hit on this one summary from 2020 which is called "Decline in nutrients in soils and food and the role of nutrients". It's from a company whose primary product line is selling micronutrient supplements (lol, lmao), but the list of citations is pretty high and as far as I can tell by namesearching and reading those studies, it seems a pretty accurate summary :shrug:

edit: lol forgot to link the pdf

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Apr 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oh here's one of the hydrophonics papers I remember reading! It has some cool pictures of what a boron or calcium deficiency will do to a plant

Characterization of Calcium and Boron Deficiency and the Effects of Temporal Disruption of Calcium and Boron Supply on Pansy, Petunia, and Gerbera Plugs

"‘Dynamite Yellow’ pansy plants 39 d after sowing with initial (A) or advanced (B) calcium deficiency symptoms, control (C), initial (D), or advanced (E) boron deficiency symptoms (Expt. 1)."