Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

The idiot team lead of that team has left to go home for the rest of the day and has apparently threatened to quit.

Oooo I love the sulk, ultimate power play of a toddler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

I just don't understand this thought process or what he believed was going to happen.

You can't possibly do this without me! The company will sink if I'm not there! Do you know how much work I do every day?!?

/replaced by next-in-line who gets a promotion and fat pay raise, never hear from other guy again

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: missed my flight by 2 minutes to go back to Boise for my friends wake. I even showed up 2 hours early!

poo poo not pissing me off: I told the lady at the gate that it I was traveling for a funeral and she rebooked me for the very next flight for no charge, put me in a front seat, and I can still make my connecting flight.

poo poo pissing me off: my connecting flight is at O’Hare and O’Hare sucks.

Edit*

Bereavement only applies to immediate family, but I can work remote. My work tried to get me to use vacation days, which I replied “sure, but then I won’t work remote.” After a long pause my boss tore up the vacation request form and said “just log into slack once a day and we will be good.” Now I have 7 days away from work for free I guess. It sucks about the circumstances though. :smith:

O'Hare isn't that bad, LAX and Dulles (I think it's Dulles) are worse in my opinion, I also hate Douglas, I flew there a fuckton because that's where my mother was based out of and it is just setup very poorly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MF_James posted:

O'Hare isn't that bad, LAX and Dulles (I think it's Dulles) are worse in my opinion, I also hate Douglas, I flew there a fuckton because that's where my mother was based out of and it is just setup very poorly.

My flight was delayed and now they are routing me to loving Dallas before Idaho. I went from a 1230pm arrival to a 7:07pm arrival.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ratbert90 posted:

My flight was delayed and now they are routing me to loving Dallas before Idaho. I went from a 1230pm arrival to a 7:07pm arrival.

You're in the NE, or attempting to get on a plane flying from the NE? Yeah, you're fukt. My mom is now based out of philly and couldn't get to work today from Chicago because lolsnow is destroying the north east now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
poo poo pissing me off:

users who think it's appropriate to ask me out on a coffee date

over our internal messaging software.

What the actual gently caress?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

users who think it's appropriate to ask me out on a coffee date

over our internal messaging software.

What the actual gently caress?

Date as in romantic?

Do you interact with this person in any capacity other than support?

Sounds like prime karma fodder in /r/creepypms

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

Date as in romantic?

Do you interact with this person in any capacity other than support?

Sounds like prime karma fodder in /r/creepypms

yep, nope, yep

i've actually literally never interacted with this person before either.

apparently our receptionist was talking me up

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MF_James posted:

You're in the NE, or attempting to get on a plane flying from the NE? Yeah, you're fukt. My mom is now based out of philly and couldn't get to work today from Chicago because lolsnow is destroying the north east now.

West Michigan but same.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ghostinmyshell posted:

Thing pissing me off: Poor messaging and now media hype about this intel related hardware issue and exploits(including amd) have people freaking the gently caress out and bothering me about it.

Yeah, I was up last night until 3AM writing up an analysis and summary to head off any pants wetting for today. Even though I'm still on PTO, around 10 PM after reading the white-papers and playing around with the PoCs my brain went "spend a little time to salvage the rest of your PTO".

Also, I'm absolutely clawing that PTO day back.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO's son has once again had a meltdown so bad that he has punched his desk repeatedly and is now bleeding all over it from his knuckles. TOTALLY NORMAL workplace behavior.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO's son has once again had a meltdown so bad that he has punched his desk repeatedly and is now bleeding all over it from his knuckles. TOTALLY NORMAL workplace behavior.

Loan shark told him he wouldn't let the vig slide another week? Or was it no more coke on credit?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Details, please

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

It's probably because his third brand-new Macbook isn't good enough to fit his needs. Why don't you just get him what he needs, DT?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I will say I have come within a tenth of a second of standing up and breaking my keyboard across my knee and/or face at least 5 times in the last two days.

At least it's not because of generalized job anger this time like at the last job.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

Details, please

Like his father he has anger control issues. He melts down regularly. It's interesting listening to a child of privilege (Ex: he is building a multi-million dollar home from scratch, paid for by his father as "practice.") saying things like "of course this isn't working and it isn't going to work and my life is loving poo poo and nothing ever works and I should just blow my brains out" because Outlook has popped up a login prompt.

He once pounded a new keyboard to pieces and then walked around the office with this weird grin on his face, holding a wad of bloody paper towel to his shredded knuckles. Like his father he throws equipment, racks his car up and rapidly oscillates between being friendly and being a horrid, entitled shithead.

Their whole family is a variation of this, always shouting and swearing and cursing their fate.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Inspector_666 posted:

I will say I have come within a tenth of a second of standing up and breaking my keyboard across my ... face at least 5 times in the last two days.

Relatable. Today has been worse.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Relatable. Today has been worse.

My keyboard is p old and gross by now anyway, so I might just do it one of these days. It would be cathartic, and I'm the one who would provide the replacement anyway...

EDIT: Using my knee, not my face.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sirotan posted:

poo poo not pissing me off is my new org's response to Meltdown/Spectre. A bunch of teams are collaborating to figure out our best plan of attack, and have been very proactive in informing customers/the university at large. Everyone is extremely competent, on their game, taking this all seriously, not panicking.
Out of curiosity, what can you do about Meltdown/Spectre apart from making sure you have the related security updates installed?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are you a developer with significant hardware and kernel chops and want to work on better/different mitigation methods? If not, jack all.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Out of curiosity, what can you do about Meltdown/Spectre apart from making sure you have the related security updates installed?

Aggressive Adblock and/or Noscript to ward off JS based exploits.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

Aggressive Adblock and/or Noscript to ward off JS based exploits.
Well that was a given long before this happened.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Several types of anti-virus software essentially rely on the vulnerability to operate, so make sure you patch your anti-virus software before you patch Windows. A few people managed to blue-screen doing that wrong.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Like his father he has anger control issues. He melts down regularly. It's interesting listening to a child of privilege (Ex: he is building a multi-million dollar home from scratch, paid for by his father as "practice.") saying things like "of course this isn't working and it isn't going to work and my life is loving poo poo and nothing ever works and I should just blow my brains out" because Outlook has popped up a login prompt.

He once pounded a new keyboard to pieces and then walked around the office with this weird grin on his face, holding a wad of bloody paper towel to his shredded knuckles. Like his father he throws equipment, racks his car up and rapidly oscillates between being friendly and being a horrid, entitled shithead.

Their whole family is a variation of this, always shouting and swearing and cursing their fate.

I await the breakdown when it turns out the tile guy bought tile from two separate lots and now the guests maid-house 2nd bathroom tile doesn't match.

:cheeky:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm just going to avoid releasing any Windows security updates from WSUS until 2019. They should have it all sorted out by then!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Get a browser that (or has the option to) run every tab in its own process. That prevents Spectre from leaking keys from other tabs.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanatosian posted:

Several types of anti-virus software essentially rely on the vulnerability to operate, so make sure you patch your anti-virus software before you patch Windows. A few people managed to blue-screen doing that wrong.

This, but mostly what my org is doing (today) was notifying customers, making sure change requests were created, setting up the "war room" and making sure reps from each group were on hand, etc. A lot of meetings and discussions. My group specially (Windows server) has started installing patches to test servers. I personally haven't really done poo poo because it's my 5th week here so I'm mostly shadowing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Get a browser that (or has the option to) run every tab in its own process. That prevents Spectre from leaking keys from other tabs.

Ah gently caress, I forgot to float this to security too. Chrome has a feature that can be enabled via GPO to do it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That won’t help

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

That won’t help

It will with Spectre, but not Meltdown.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
pissing me off: Old dudes being weird. There's this guy retiring after 37 years here. We bought him a fancy pants 15" mbpro and I was configuring it. dude proceeds to tell me how I remind him of his best friends sister that he always wanted to go out with who has the same name as me. i'm just like "uh neat"

hour later he comes back to do something else

"You remind me of this woman who has the same name as you and she and you look exactly the same and even the same laugh - (i cringe giggle) - "yeah just like that and I just saw her yesterday after not having seen her for 2 years and clearly it is fate that you are working here and isn't that nice" (also includes some weird god stuff that I kind of tuned out so I wouldn't get mad)

"yeah that is neato, put in your apple id creds here please"

Thank god it was his last day. What the gently caress.

In other news, i've been at this job for almost a month and I really do love it here. I'm no longer direct customer facing IT (except VIP stuff) and am doing SCCM/jamf work almost exclusively. The tasks are genuinely interesting and the vast vast majority of the people are happy to be here and really easy going.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

My keyboard is p old and gross by now anyway, so I might just do it one of these days. It would be cathartic, and I'm the one who would provide the replacement anyway...

EDIT: Using my knee, not my face.

I will use my face.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Double post:

Tell me why jamf pisses you off. I have a client that's looking for and MDM solution and I have zero experience with Jamf in particular but hear lots about it.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Inspector_666 posted:

Ah gently caress, I forgot to float this to security too. Chrome has a feature that can be enabled via GPO to do it.

For the record - this button is bad to push in a lot of cases. It'll outright break a lot of stuff including jira auth (lol). Some heavy testing seems to be needed to verify compatibility with company workload.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Double post:

Tell me why jamf pisses you off. I have a client that's looking for and MDM solution and I have zero experience with Jamf in particular but hear lots about it.

I've been using it for about a year - first in a mixed windows (2000ish clients) / Mac (1000ish) environment. I'm a big fan. It can be finicky about large deployments from the cloud but otherwise, once you get DEP and all the ordering poo poo right, its pretty drat easy to use. It only really sucks if your organization doesn't send useful people to get training. I've got my CCT and i'm going for my CCA training and test in 2 weeks.

I'm in a smaller organization - about 500 total clients split between mac and pc now and my only irritation is that since we are a smaller org, our service is a bit slower. I got spoiled by having a dedicated tech.

edit:

Specifically for tables and phones - im actually not positive that it is the best option. Depends on org size and what you are doing. I used to work for a very large retailer with something like 29,000 ios devices and we actually used mobile iron. We had a jamf environment but it was specifically for corporate macs.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 5, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Again, no it won't. Spectre's very purpose to evade the sort of protection that you might get from running things in a separate process.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Spectre breaks sandboxes and has access to the *entire* user memspace.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

The what? Link please.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

terrenblade posted:

The what? Link please.

The patch won't install unless AV is updated and sets a specific reg key. You're not going to get a surprise BSOD. But you also aren't going to get the Meltdown patch until your AV vendor updates.

Or you do the rational thing and uninstall AV altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Proteus Jones posted:

Or you do the rational thing and uninstall AV altogether.

Building symantec uninstaller package today :getin: