Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: hey, if an appeal to authority is what you want tell him that a guy with a PhD in German history says he's a loving idiot.

You might like this, he also says:

quote:

Were you there in pre-WWII Germany? Then what justifies your superior attitude? Even after the destruction of WWI, Germany remained the single most powerful nation in Europe, and more importantly, was proud of being the country of Kant, Nietzsche (not my idea of a wise man, but the Germans were proud of him), Freud, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner, etc. At the time just before WWII, America was still recovering from the Great Depression. Name one noted American philosopher, scientist, or composer up to that period. About the best you can do is Washington Irving, Poe, Thoreau. You have to go back to the founding fathers to find a community of people who wrote and spoke with real intelligence, and accomplished something truly noteworthy. Yes, we had Einstein; but he was born and raised in Germany.

quote:

buy him an account

poo poo, now I'm tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Raenir Salazar posted:

oh my god lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

He has half a point with the cultural reference, but every country in Europe can make that argument. gently caress, just spit a laundry list of French thinkers at him. The US is a young country that you really have to look at as an offshoot of the English intellectual traditions, whatever.

Most powerful country after WW2? Has he never heard of the Marhal Plan, aka "Welfare for western Europe (mostly Germany) so they don't all go commie or die of starvation or something?"

I mean, gently caress, I'm pretty sure the Netherlands could have won a war with Germany in 1947.

edit: this guy sounds like a giant germanophile. Ask him what he thinks of the notorious war crimes of the Wehrmacht.

edit x2: or just say that by dint of supporting a murderous regime Rommel was a war criminal and peace out while he has a stroke.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

He has half a point with the cultural reference, but every country in Europe can make that argument. gently caress, just spit a laundry list of French thinkers at him. The US is a young country that you really have to look at as an offshoot of the English intellectual traditions, whatever.

Most powerful country after WW2? Has he never heard of the Marhal Plan, aka "Welfare for western Europe (mostly Germany) so they don't all go commie or die of starvation or something?"

I mean, gently caress, I'm pretty sure the Netherlands could have won a war with Germany in 1947.

after world war one, ya dingus

you know, the other time they nearly all starved to death and died

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you guys want I could post his argument, if you think it's worth reading, here's a taste:

The majority of it I don't think I need much help with in refuting but there's two suppositions that I haven't really seen before here:

This is new to me; the Soviets used large formations of paratroopers in the East but they seemed to mostly be failed operations IIRC that helped to buy time. Would there have been a situation where the German version wouldn't have been mowed down from lack of heavy equipment?

Ugh, to say that something were the best tanks is so vague it doesn't mean anything. Panzers III and IV had three-man turrets and commander's cupolas, but apart from that they weren't radically different from what others had. And Wehrmacht also depended on an armada of Panzers I, II, 35(t) and 38(t).

Airborne troops were used successfully in Norway and Netherlands against unprepared defenders, and then again by Allies in Husky, Overlord and Varsity. But as Crete and Arnhem showed, they wouldn't survive long against a determined enemy unless relieved quickly. Planning and preparing for such operations also took a lot of time, and as you couldn't predict weather accurately enough you might have to wait a while for the right moment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

poo poo, now I'm tempted.

"Now you go to Germany, you've got your Bach, your Beethoven, your Brahms... Here in America you've got your Fred McDowell, your Irving Berlin, your Glenn Miller, and your Booker T & The MG's, people. Another example of the great contributions in music and culture that this country has made around the world.

And that is, as you look around the world, you go to the Soviet Union or Great Britain or France, you name it, any country... Everybody is doing flips and twists just to get into a genuine pair of American blue jeans! And to hear this music and we got it all here in America, the land of the Chrysler 440 cubic inch engine! " - Elwood Blues, "Green Onions"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

after world war one, ya dingus

you know, the other time they nearly all starved to death and died

ah, mis read that.

Even so loving laffo. Compare the French military in 1935 to the German.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you guys want I could post his argument, if you think it's worth reading, here's a taste:

The majority of it I don't think I need much help with in refuting but there's two suppositions that I haven't really seen before here:

This is new to me; the Soviets used large formations of paratroopers in the East but they seemed to mostly be failed operations IIRC that helped to buy time. Would there have been a situation where the German version wouldn't have been mowed down from lack of heavy equipment?

If nothing else he's factually wrong about the time of introduction of the T-34; it was already in service before Barbarossa (as was the KV-1). Hell, the KV-1 fought in the winter war.

Raenir Salazar posted:

:godwinning:

This is so wehraboo it hurts. It's literally "Now I don't approve but am forced to respect the glory of the aryan people".

EDIT: gently caress, the british empire still exists in meaningful capacity post-WW1.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 26, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
when aren't germans almost starving to death, when you think about it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Raenir Salazar posted:

Basically look at how the allies used paratroopers.Sicily and Italy? Massive dispersions, units scattered all over the place. Kind of hard to call either way. D-day? Decent success. Market Garden? The closer to the front they were the more successful their operation was. 101st did sterling work, 82nd did okay, and the 1st did far better than they should have but were eventually just overwhelmed through weight of supply. Varsity? They dropped after the Rhine crossing to muck up the German backfield and interdict troop movement. This was probably the most clear cut total success of the allied drops. If the Germans had used their Fallschirmjaeger in Varsity-ish roles then they might have managed to maybe advance a bit faster at times, maybe. Assuming they weren't just cut to poo poo by AA fire all the time. Long term it's deckchairs on the Titanic.

HEY GAL posted:

buy him an account
Also this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

Were you there in pre-WWII Germany? Then what justifies your superior attitude? Even after the destruction of WWI, Germany remained the single most powerful nation in Europe, and more importantly, was proud of being the country of Kant, Nietzsche (not my idea of a wise man, but the Germans were proud of him), Freud, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner, etc.

Germany, the country of Sigmund Freud. (Also Beethoven and Brahms lived most of their lives in Austria, but I guess none of that matters.)

HEY GAL posted:

buy him an account

Oh great, as if we needed :agesilaus: with a Stahlhelm

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 26, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Germany, the country of Sigmund Freud. (Also Beethoven and Brahms lived most of their lives in Austria, but I guess none of that matters.)
germany and austria are the same thing, as far as i'm concerned

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

:hitler:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
He's lambasting the US for having gone through the Great Depression?

Show him a few pictures of the various uses people found for Papiermarks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Basically look at how the allies used paratroopers.Sicily and Italy? Massive dispersions, units scattered all over the place. Kind of hard to call either way. D-day? Decent success. Market Garden? The closer to the front they were the more successful their operation was. 101st did sterling work, 82nd did okay, and the 1st did far better than they should have but were eventually just overwhelmed through weight of supply. Varsity? They dropped after the Rhine crossing to muck up the German backfield and interdict troop movement. This was probably the most clear cut total success of the allied drops. If the Germans had used their Fallschirmjaeger in Varsity-ish roles then they might have managed to maybe advance a bit faster at times, maybe. Assuming they weren't just cut to poo poo by AA fire all the time. Long term it's deckchairs on the Titanic.

Eh, I wouldn't say deckchairs on the titanic. Modern air mobile infantry is a direct descendant of the better uses of airborne in WW2. I'd say it's morel ike the tech just didn't exit to do it optimally yet.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

there's another great son of Germany

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Oh great, as if we needed :agesilaus: with a Stahlhelm
the gently caress you talking about, i would use that emoticon daily

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

spectralent posted:

If nothing else he's factually wrong about the time of introduction of the T-34; it was already in service before Barbarossa (as was the KV-1). Hell, the KV-1 fought in the winter war.

:godwinning:

This is so wehraboo it hurts. It's literally "Now I don't approve but am forced to respect the glory of the aryan people".

In fairness there is a little bit of back and forth and context that is missing there; notably I mentioned the T-34-85 (and the Sherman) were the best tanks in the war overall from an operations perspective; and that variant of the T-34 was a late addition to the war; here's what started it though it isn't specifically that he's a Wehraboo, he's just weird:

quote:

The success Hitler had with the masses was substantial. Even 89% was substantial, not to mention the 98% in 1936--and Trump is having increasingly large numbers support him. Fortunately, not as large as Hitler and his Nazi Party claimed. But the important point to remember is that Hitler did indeed hijack a democracy. He did not overthrow the Kaiser, that had already been done. So having a democracy as a form of government is no guarantee that your country will not be taken over by a tyrant who will lead the nation into a ruinous war. It happened in Germany--which was arguably the most advanced, civilized, and cultured country of its time. So it could happen to us.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

uuuuugh that guy is so misinformed about how hitler came to power it loving hurts.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, I wouldn't say deckchairs on the titanic. Modern air mobile infantry is a direct descendant of the better uses of airborne in WW2. I'd say it's morel ike the tech just didn't exit to do it optimally yet.

(we still can't do airborne stuff competently)

:saddowns:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hey, anyone know what kinds of Army Air Corps bombers took off from England to bomb Germany? I'm trying to remember what planes by grandfather worked/flew on. I thought it was a B-25, but that apparently was only flown by the RAF in Europe and I doubt they'd have an American ground crew.

I guess a B-19 is a possibility. I didn't know if there were any other bombers flown in great numbers from England.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hey, anyone know what kinds of Army Air Corps bombers took off from England to bomb Germany? I'm trying to remember what planes by grandfather worked/flew on. I thought it was a B-25, but that apparently was only flown by the RAF in Europe and I doubt they'd have an American ground crew.

I guess a B-19 is a possibility. I didn't know if there were any other bombers flown in great numbers from England.

Lancaster for the British and B-17 for the Yanks?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Raenir Salazar posted:

In fairness there is a little bit of back and forth and context that is missing there; notably I mentioned the T-34-85 (and the Sherman) were the best tanks in the war overall from an operations perspective; and that variant of the T-34 was a late addition to the war; here's what started it though it isn't specifically that he's a Wehraboo, he's just weird:

fuckin lol comparing 2016 USA to fuckin 1932 Weimar Germany

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

spectralent posted:

One of the most amusing little facts I heard about the deception leading up to the German attack on the USSR was the fact that part of the intelligence service's argument that the Germans weren't going to attack was that the German preparations looked like the scramblings of a bunch of idiots who forgot winter happens, which meant they had to be bluster, despite the rhetoric.

Stalin didn't want to believe that the Germans were about to invade and mountains of intelligence weren't able to convince him otherwise. Maybe those reports were from people who knew what he wanted to hear.

That's some pretty sloppy intelligence work to see your greatest ideological enemy building up an army millions strong on your border, flying reconnaissance planes into your airspace and actually being warned that they are going to invade by the British, and then assume it can't happen because you don't see any winter coats lying around.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Krispy Kareem posted:

Main bombers operated by the USAAF out of Britain were B-17s, B-24s, and B-26s IIRC. 17 and 24 were both four-engined heavy bombers, and the 26 was a two-engined medium bomber. Do you have any other information, such as what unit he was assigned to or what airfield he worked on?

Edit: Also Raenir your friend is probably the funniest thing I've read all day.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 26, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Stalin didn't want to believe that the Germans were about to invade and mountains of intelligence weren't able to convince him otherwise. Maybe those reports were from people who knew what he wanted to hear.

That's some pretty sloppy intelligence work to see your greatest ideological enemy building up an army millions strong on your border, flying reconnaissance planes into your airspace and actually being warned that they are going to invade by the British, and then assume it can't happen because you don't see any winter coats lying around.

Yeah; I believe that's part of the reports the second guy submitted after stalin got fed up of the first one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cyrano4747 posted:

But for Nazi Germany with nothing else changing? Might even just be arguing about how to fold the towels on said deckchairs.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Main bombers operated by the USAAF out of Britain were B-17s, B-24s, and B-26s IIRC. 17 and 24 were both four-engined heavy bombers, and the 26 was a two-engined medium bomber.

also the A-20 and A-26 two-engine light bombers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Under the glorious rule of the Hapsburgs, no doubt.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasn't the French Char-B one of the best tanks at the start of conflict?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

Best in the sense that it had the biggest gun and the thickest armor, but not really good in any other sense. Also there weren't enough of them to make a difference.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

For about six weeks, maybe.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Main bombers operated by the USAAF out of Britain were B-17s, B-24s, and B-26s IIRC. 17 and 24 were both four-engined heavy bombers, and the 26 was a two-engined medium bomber. Do you have any other information, such as what unit he was assigned to or what airfield he worked on?

Edit: Also Raenir your friend is probably the funniest thing I've read all day.

I want to say the 8th airforce sounds familiar, but honestly that might just be because that was one of the groups I read about while trying to find out what bombers flew out of that airspace.

As for planes, I was a WW2 aviation nut, but a very superficial one - so when he told me the bomber name it wasn't one I had any knowledge of (so not a B-17 or B-29). It sounds like B-24 is the most likely model. I did find his military record on archives.gov, but it just says Air Corps. All of his war photos just show the Army Air Corps logo and no unit designation or group patch. All of pictures posing next to planes are of captured Luftwaffe aircraft. I'm going to guess taking pictures of your own airfield during war was frowned upon. :shrug:

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 27, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

sullat posted:

Under the glorious rule of the Hapsburgs, no doubt.

Reminder:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Late to the...party? Anyway:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any scenario where Germany wins has to be predicated on one thing: No invasion of Russia.

That said, no invasion of Russia is the archetypal "Gay Black Hitler" scenario. At that point we might as well be discussing how the 40s would have gone if Hitler was a socialist.

This is a good post. Also worth mentioning is how the Soviets and the Nazis had a trade pact that was quite useful to both of them, and allowed Germany to trade with Japan.

Tomn posted:

You know, come to think of it, do we have any records that might provide some insight on the strategic thinking behind that? Was it purely a "Let's support our allies" moment? Was there any kind of end-game or plan as to how to actually force the Americans to the peace table? Were they hoping the Japanese would thrash the Americans at sea soundly and then invade Russia from Siberia as thanks for the support or something?

There was very little strategic thinking. Hitler felt compelled to support his alley, much to the surprise of pretty much everyone. Japan hadn't discussed this move with the Nazis at all, so there was really no plan as to how the Axis were going to neutralize America. Japan had considered going to war with the Soviets, but decided against it, as the Soviets had proven nasty foes in a border skirmish, and didn't have the resources the Japanese really wanted. They decided to go into SE Asia instead and thus, war with America.

Nenonen posted:

Kant lived in Koeningsburg that's not even part of Germany anymore - and Nietzsche taught at the University of Basel, then wandered the Alps in Switzerland, Germany, France and Italy. He really hated German nationalism btw and aspired to be a "good European" until he went crazy and started writing his friends that he was having all the anti-semites shot

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Today's Austria literally had to be forced by an international treaty to not call itself "German Austria".

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

bewbies posted:

(we still can't do airborne stuff competently)

:saddowns:

TF_XRAY.jpg

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Saint Celestine posted:

The superstructure of a battleship is definitely NOT the heaviest armored part. You're thinking of the conning tower, which IS the most heavily armored part, but the conning tower makes up a tiny portion of the entire superstructure of a battleship.
Edit2: Tanks and battleships aren't really an accurate comparison. Tanks don't worry about plunging fire. Battleships were built to account for plunging fire at extreme combat ranges and were armored to protect against them. They are armored for typical battleship shells, not a 2k kg JDAM or a modern supersonic ASM.
Yeah, the conning tower. But as long as the rangefinders survived, the conning tower was all the superstructure a battleship really needed. The rest of the upper works is just funnels, admirals' staterooms, and the fairweather bridge. Cf. those photos of Seydlitz and others limping into port after Jutland.

As for plunging fire, they had at most two ~2" armor decks. As the raid on Pearl proved, a 1-ton(ne) bunkerbuster from on high will ruin a battleship's day. I forget the exact math, but battleships had a zone of vulnerability -- the decks were armored against plunging fire at extreme range, and the sides ideally could take what they could give at point-blank range, but plunging fire at middlin' range or dive-bombers could ... be very bad, see Hood and Arizona.

Speaking of battleships, tomorrow (today for the Europeans) is the anniversary of the sinking of Bismarck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Ufc2hI4FM

And Tuesday/Wednesday is the 100th anniversary of Jutland. Get some rum and toast King George V and Rodney, and Jellicoe's fleet at Skagerrak.

Speakng of battleship superstructures, Bismarck died hard -- steering gear crippled by air-launched torpedoes, scuttled under the guns of the British battleships, which were aiming high to sweep away the superstructure and kill the most people without sinking the ship. On the one hand,the Kriegsmarine deserved it, what with the u-boats and sending a pocket battleship out as a commerce raider and one-shotting the RN's pride and joy. On the other hand ... I think I'd rather be on a u-boat than a Kriegsmarine battleship.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 27, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, the conning tower. But as long as the rangefinders survived, the conning tower was all the superstructure a battleship really needed. The rest of the upper works is just funnels, admirals' staterooms, and the fairweather bridge. Cf. those photos of Seydlitz and others limping into port after Jutland.

Not by World War 2. A battleship without radar is going to be outranged and outshot by a battleship that hasn't had all that stuff blown to bits, and by the nature of things you can't encase it in armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CoolCab posted:

Right, and even during the weird faux peace brought on by the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact it's not like the Nazis were cool with the USSR. The Nazis were not subtle about their desire to eliminate communism (or Bolshevism or whatever they called it) and specifically destroy the USSR, they were screaming it from the proverbial rooftops from the very beginning. To paraphrase what is often repeated in this thread: there are often counterfactuals that would allow the Nazis to perform better, but they all rely on them not being Nazis.

Also, even though the Russian government appreciated the peace with Germany, they too had filled their populace with hatred for fascism( movies, plays, public rallies, you name it) for ten+ years, it's not inconceivable that the USSR would have fired the first shot at some point if the Germans started showing signs of strain.

• Locked thread