Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

What? What the gently caress? What? Why?

Yikes, I mean I can see the utility of an otherwise functional building but uhhh spackle that poo poo over or something you weirdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FAUXTON posted:

Yikes, I mean I can see the utility of an otherwise functional building but uhhh spackle that poo poo over or something you weirdos

And maybe don't hang the red Triumph of the Will style banners like that...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Triumph Of The Grill

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

HEY GUNS posted:

Triumph Of The Grill

loving lmao

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

What? What the gently caress? What? Why?

In case people are curious, that's the Burger King at Regensburgerstrasse in Nuremberg. The building was built by Speer to house a power station for the Nazi rally field. Looks like they forgot a symbol during the de-Nazification (which isn't really unusual. There are a bunch of old Nazi symbols still around throughout Germany.)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Epicurius posted:

In case people are curious, that's the Burger King at Regensburgerstrasse in Nuremberg. The building was built by Speer to house a power station for the Nazi rally field. Looks like they forgot a symbol during the de-Nazification (which isn't really unusual. There are a bunch of old Nazi symbols still around throughout Germany.)

Should get that street renamed to Königsburgerstrasse.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 2nd June 1918 posted:

At 2.15 a.m. the Boche shelled our position with phosgene; small box respirators were adjusted and worn for 1.5 hours. When the atmosphere became clear the men fanned out their dug-outs and returned to rest.
In the evening 2/LT.NEWLAND and 33 other ranks returned to the Battalion from the R.E., and were posted to "C" Company.

13th KRRC War Diary, 4th June 1918 posted:

At 3.30 a.m. the Division on our left made a raid on the enemy line opposite HEBUTERNE. There was no retaliation on our sector.
During the morning orders were received concerning the Battalion relief tonight.
The advance parties of the 4th Battn. 3rd Brigade N.Z. Division arrived and took over.
At 3 p.m.advance parties from the Coys rendezvoued at Battalion Headquarters and moved off to take over our new camp which is situated in the BOIS DE WARNIMONT.
Relief was complete at 10.15 p.m.
At 11.40 p.m. the Transport moved off on its journey south.

13th KRRC War Diary, 5th June 1918 posted:

The Battalion rested as much as possible during the day. Loading parties and Guards were provided for the lorries which arrived at 4 p.m. and took away all stores that were not required at the moment.
At 5.30 p.m. the Brigadier lectured to all Officers on the football ground.
At 10.15 p.m. the Battalion paraded in full marching order and moved off to the embussing point.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

:negative:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A case of war never really changing much (actually changed quite a bit)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, the border moved back and forth a lot over those years. Also don't really get why the Parthian and Sassanid empires count as Persia but not the Seleucid empire or the Caliphate.

Don Gato posted:

I sometimes wonder how the founding fathers would react to the near hero worship of the military in modern America. Washington would probably be down but Jefferson would be beyond horrified.

In theory, Jefferson would be horrified at the very idea of a modern government, but in general he was full of very bad opinions that he would discard without a second thought if it served his immediate convenience.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also how religious we all are

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, the border moved back and forth a lot over those years. Also don't really get why the Parthian and Sassanid empires count as Persia but not the Seleucid empire or the Caliphate.

Just a guess, but the Parthians and Sassanids were at least nominally Persian (In the case of the Parthians, very nominally, but at least Parthia had been a Persian province), where as the Greeks and Arabs were foreign conquerors?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

In theory, Jefferson would be horrified at the very idea of a modern government, but in general he was full of very bad opinions that he would discard without a second thought if it served his immediate convenience.

He'd love modern dating phone apps though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cessna posted:

Oh gently caress I didn't even see those, I was just looking at the side with the nazi bird mark

what the gently caress burger king

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

He'd love modern dating phone apps though.

Not sure those let you purchase your girlfriends, though. Been a while since I was on the dating scene though, so I could be wrong? I dunno.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sullat posted:

Not sure those let you purchase your girlfriends, though. Been a while since I was on the dating scene though, so I could be wrong? I dunno.

I might be confusing him with the other one who spent his time during diplomacy in France hunting women older than him. Wigs man.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

I might be confusing him with the other one who spent his time during diplomacy in France hunting women older than him. Wigs man.
that was ben franklin, and i think instead of "women older than him" you mean "anything female and consenting within the greater paris metro area"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, you're thinking of B-Franks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah B-Frankenwhore is who I was thinking of.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, you're thinking of B-Franks.

the ladies called him beef franks

or boeuf franks I guess

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Actual Result: "Holy gently caress where did these Muslims come from?!"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

FOIA request lead to 73mb of 50's and 60's internal NSA security posters being declassified.

I've always found the "groovy" 60's pop iconography unsettling and NSA propaganda messages don't help

These are really cool, thanks!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I'm guessing Thomas Jefferson would be more into Blacked.com and mail order wives

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HEY GUNS posted:

Triumph Of The Grill

Arbeit macht fries

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't know that America still did localized army companies. I thought they all just got mixed up.

Nice singing though.

Active units are fairly mixed up. Reserve or National Guard units can end up being very localized, given that part of the recruitment appeal is that you can stay in your home area instead of being moved all over the place, schooling and deployments aside.

A Guam-based US Army Reserve unit, for instance:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 6, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

GotLag posted:

Arbeit macht fries

Okay this is the one :stwoon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Battle of Stoney Creek Day everyone

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Happy Battle of Stoney Creek Day everyone

Congratulations Canada

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

What's up with all the different boots? :thunk:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bloom posted:

What's up with all the different boots? :thunk:

You're allowed to buy your own.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You're allowed to buy your own.

Ah, thanks.

I only did conscription for a short bit and they had rather strong opinions on what you were allowed to wear.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This sounds like Nazi apologia, it makes it sound like the "Territorial Solution to the Jewish Question" was some benevolent plan and it was only circumstances that forced the Final Solution. Was this ever a serious thing that was going to happen or was it Operation-Sealion BS

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

zoux posted:

This sounds like Nazi apologia, it makes it sound like the "Territorial Solution to the Jewish Question" was some benevolent plan and it was only circumstances that forced the Final Solution. Was this ever a serious thing that was going to happen or was it Operation-Sealion BS

I don't think Madagascar with 6,000,000 extra inhabitants and no extra infrastructure would be a great place to live.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bloom posted:

Ah, thanks.

I only did conscription for a short bit and they had rather strong opinions on what you were allowed to wear.

The US just sets a standard for the color, features, and material of the boot and lets soldiers buy any compliant boot they want. Makes for much more comfortable boots.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

zoux posted:

It was workshopped, and some memos were written about it., but it didn't get anywhere. I mean, it was seriously enough considered that the Foreign Office and the SS got into a turf war over it.

Nevertheless, the various territorial solutions proposed weren't benevolent. Like Marxist-Jezzinist pointed out, dumping millions of people on a relatively undeveloped island is no really conclusive to their well being, and the Territorial Solution involved dumping the Jews of Europe someplace nobody else wanted on land that was no good for anything and letting them starve to death.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bloom posted:

Ah, thanks.

They still do, but there’s a wide variety of authorized boots.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I was looking for a fairly recent Fanta anniversary ad that was pulled after it was ridiculed for Nazi nostalgy (Nazilgy?) and found this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRFJURlyfzw

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 6, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
We just got two pairs of boots, one relatively fresh for parade duty and one worn for general duty. If you were really unlucky your parade boots would be brand new and you'd have the pleasure of breaking them in.

At least bringing your own athletic shoes was allowed, which was fortunate because the standard issue ones were absolute garbage.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

chitoryu12 posted:

The US just sets a standard for the color, features, and material of the boot and lets soldiers buy any compliant boot they want. Makes for much more comfortable boots.

Do you get a specific allowance for this, or do you get a standard pair, and you can free market your way into better stuff if you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006