Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You cannot, legally* or morally, intentionally injure thieves.

The fix is to fine scrapyards that accept stolen goods.

*in the states at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bike lock emits a cloud of high-potency thc vapor that knocks the thief on his rear end and then Elviscat pushes up his nerd glasses and says in a high whiny voice "you can't do that to a thief it's wrong!!!"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Please, my bike is anchored to a 200+ pound chunk of concrete, it's very safe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Elviscat posted:

*in the states at least.

Yeah, booby traps are a great way to get yourself sued for a cool million or two of damages.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Elviscat posted:

*in the states at least.

I wasn't being serious but, scrapyards don't care and even if they did there is no way for them to tell or a shell third party could be used. proactive surveillance and prosecution would help, they're either an organized ring, someone that does it once, or vandals.

And of those 2 out of 3 if cops did something useful for once it'd be a solved issue. the random person that does it once for whatever reason is unlikely to do it again and they'd be less inclined to if they knew that people that make a habit out of it get in trouble.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hopefully when I log back in tomorrow I wont read something that will need to be actioned.

(Dont talk about bootytraps, I dont feel like dealing with that)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wiring my bike with 10kg of semtex and a proximity alert before going into the whole foods

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

My “bike” is actually a rottweiler with a wheel in its mouth. Just waiting to strike.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I mean, someone out there is accepting catalytic converters as a whole, despite all legal repercussions. I'm sure the thief doesn't have to work too hard in order to turn in that high voltage cable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My bike is the 200+ chunk of concrete with wheels attached.

Thighs the size of mighty redwoods

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've never read this term before, but after years of reading about "booby traps", I'm now wondering why it took so long.

Finally, the thread knows where CI stands on the perennial T&A debate. At least when it comes to traps.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hopefully when I log back in tomorrow I wont read something that will need to be actioned.

(Dont talk about bootytraps, I dont feel like dealing with that)

tired: boobytrap

wired: bootytrap

the breast men/rear end men dichotomy knows no bounds

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So, might want to re-think getting a Tesla if having a working supercharger network in the near to long term was a value-add to you.

https://electrek.co/2024/04/29/tesla-conducting-more-layoffs-including-entire-supercharger-team/

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Electrek posted:

Now, more layoffs have been finalized through an email from CEO Elon Musk to executives, first reported by The Information, stating that 6-year veteran Rebecca Tinucci, Tesla’s Senior Director of EV charging, would be leaving the company on Tuesday, along with nearly all of her 500-person charging team (“a few” employees will be reassigned to other teams, according to The Information).

Tinucci was responsible for Tesla’s EV charging business, including Supercharging, which means that the cutting of the Supercharger team may reflect a change in direction for Tesla. Tesla has been very successful at getting manufacturers to adopt its NACS plug – an effort led by Tinucci, which got her onto the TIME 100 Climate list – leading many to suggest that it will be able to run a profitable energy delivery business for a long time to come (here’s her presentation from Investor Day 2023).

The email states that Tesla will continue to build out some new Superchargers, and will finish those under construction. But relieving the team of its duty may signal a reduction in buildout of the system – at a time when, if anything, faster charging station deployment is needed.

https://electrek.co/2024/04/29/tesla-conducting-more-layoffs-including-entire-supercharger-team/

As I have said from the beginning, getting everyone else to adopt NACS was a scam. No one should install NACS ports in their cars now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

As I have said from the beginning, getting everyone else to adopt NACS was a scam. No one should install NACS ports in their cars now.

Nah, NACS is still a good port. And it's open sourced, so it's not like Tesla can take it away by torpedoing their supercharger network.

It's also backward compatible with CCS I believe so you can just use a CCS -> NACS converter to use any existing CCS charger. This is mainly really bad news for Tesla owners and no one else.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, might want to re-think getting a Tesla if having a working supercharger network in the near to long term was a value-add to you.

Well, poop.

Maybe the entire team will get picked up by some other charging network and we'll get a good DCFC network that isn't Tesla. Let's all hope real hard!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

cruft posted:

Well, poop.

Maybe the entire team will get picked up by some other charging network and we'll get a good DCFC network that isn't Tesla. Let's all hope real hard!

gonna lol if rivian picks em up

my hot take: whether or not superchargers are around, NACS is a better connector from a usability perspective and it's a good switchover for the NA EV industry

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nah, NACS is still a good port. And it's open sourced, so it's not like Tesla can take it away by torpedoing their supercharger network.

It's also backward compatible with CCS I believe so you can just use a CCS -> NACS converter to use any existing CCS charger. This is mainly really bad news for Tesla owners and no one else.

Is it a better connector, sure, but CCS is already widely deployed an NACS connectors on cars in not going to result in broader Supercharger access now. Reminder, NACS is NOT the Tesla system, it is a third standard not completely backwards compatible with the Tesla system.

What they are effectively doing is blocking third-party access to the majority of the Supercharging network, leaving it exclusive to Tesla and expecting other companies to build out the rest of fast charging preferring a connector only on Teslas right now, the vast majority of other cars use another connector.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Well, poop.

Electrify America your redemption arc starts now!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

What they are effectively doing is blocking third-party access to the majority of the Supercharging network, leaving it exclusive to Tesla and expecting other companies to build out the rest of fast charging preferring a connector only on Teslas right now, the vast majority of other cars use another connector.

That seems unlikely to me. Teslas can already use CCS chargers. So trying to get companies to build out NACS instead of CCS (which they were already planning on doing) doesn't benefit a Tesla's value proposition in any way. In fact, peaceing out of any supercharger -> NACS conversion just means that other automakers are more likely to reverse course on NACS conversion if their cars won't get access to the supercharger network. All the while the supercharger network would degrade without maintenance and capital investment. If Tesla was looking to divest itself of the supercharger network this might make some sense, but its too early to be laying off the entire division since that throws away all the institutional knowledge a potential buyer would want so a buyer doesn't have to figure out how the network works from reverse engineering and first principles.

The only thing that makes sense to me is Musk cutting costs to juice quarterly profits as much as.possible to justify the bonus package he wants without any concern for divisions at the company rotting for lack of sufficient resources.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The entire drat team is gone. They're going to finish building out stations under construction, but that's it. I wonder if this means they'll also stop fixing broken stalls.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Electrify America your redemption arc starts now!

Another possible scenario is that with no maintenance, Tesla chargers become as flaky and unreliable as EA chargers. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elviscat posted:

My Nissan Leaf is the best EV.

I was curious about this because this is the car i'm looking at, I know this post is 4 years old, but I am looking to finally buy my first EV and this is the one I am looking at. Is this still true? Unsure where to go begin researching what to buy. My work commute is going to be 25 - 30 miles one way.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I was curious about this because this is the car i'm looking at, I know this post is 4 years old, but I am looking to finally buy my first EV and this is the one I am looking at. Is this still true? Unsure where to go begin researching what to buy. My work commute is going to be 25 - 30 miles one way.

The LEAF is a fun car if you understand its limitations. Bear in mind that the car hates its own battery, so if you buy one that can go 60 miles in 2024, expect it to go 40 miles in 2028. Also bear in mind that running the heater absolutely kills range, so if it gets cold where you are, think that one through.

I have a 2017 LEAF and it's a lot of fun but there is no way I would buy another LEAF. Rather, I'd look for a used Bolt. (Cruft Jr drives a 2019 Bolt.) Three Olives liked his BMW i3, which is in a similar class.

I think Elviscat sold the LEAF and is now driving a Bolt, for whatever that's worth. 3O drives a Mustang Mach E now.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 30, 2024

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

That seems unlikely to me. Teslas can already use CCS chargers. So trying to get companies to build out NACS instead of CCS (which they were already planning on doing) doesn't benefit a Tesla's value proposition in any way. In fact, peaceing out of any supercharger -> NACS conversion just means that other automakers are more likely to reverse course on NACS conversion if their cars won't get access to the supercharger network.

Only the most recent Teslas support CCS and even with those, only with a system upgrade.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Is it a better connector, sure, but CCS is already widely deployed an NACS connectors on cars in not going to result in broader Supercharger access now. Reminder, NACS is NOT the Tesla system, it is a third standard not completely backwards compatible with the Tesla system.

The vast majority of other cars using the other connector still don't amount to just the amount of Teslas, period. In North America, NACS is the de-facto standard, which is why all the other manufacturers decided to adopt it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Only the most recent Teslas support CCS and even with those, only with a system upgrade.

No, the recent ones don't need anything but an adapter. The older ones needed the upgrade, which you can now get. I did, and used it a few days ago to make it from Van Buren to Oklahoma City with 45mph headwinds, without having to divert to the supercharger in Tulsa.

I don't know what the cutoff date is between "recent ones" and "older ones" in this context. My Model 3 was made in 2019, as a data point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cruft posted:

The LEAF is a fun car if you understand its limitations. Bear in mind that the car hates its own battery, so if you buy one that can go 60 miles in 2024, expect it to go 40 miles in 2028. Also bear in mind that running the heater absolutely kills range, so if it gets cold where you are, think that one through.

I have a 2017 LEAF and it's a lot of fun but there is no way I would buy another LEAF. Rather, I'd look for a used Bolt. (Cruft Jr drives a 2019 Bolt.) Three Olives liked his BMW i3, which is in a similar class.

I think Elviscat sold the LEAF and is now driving a Bolt, for whatever that's worth. 3O drives a Mustang Mach E now.

This is all really great information to know, thank you! These look like other good options too because i'm looking for something as well that ideally has a lot of trunk space. My wife and I shop at Costco. :P How are Toyota's EV line? And I live in Seattle, so the cold weather is very much something I want to keep in mind. It can get pretty cold in the winter months, but not as bad as say somewhere on the east coast.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

cruft posted:

No, the recent ones don't need anything but an adapter. The older ones needed the upgrade, which you can now get. I did, and used it a few days ago to make it from Van Buren to Oklahoma City with 45mph headwinds, without having to divert to the supercharger in Tulsa.

I don't know what the cutoff date is between "recent ones" and "older ones" in this context. My Model 3 was made in 2019, as a data point.

I don't believe all Tesla's can be fitted with the upgrade, it is my understanding that there is a cut-off on how old your car can be to get the upgrade and a second cutoff on when it is already CCS enabled and just needs an adaptor.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This is all really great information to know, thank you! These look like other good options too because i'm looking for something as well that ideally has a lot of trunk space. My wife and I shop at Costco. :P How are Toyota's EV line? And I live in Seattle, so the cold weather is very much something I want to keep in mind. It can get pretty cold in the winter months, but not as bad as say somewhere on the east coast.

Does Toyota even make an EV? I can't keep up with everybody's offerings any more, but it seems like if you don't want an SUV or a low-range/low-speed weirdmobile, your options are pretty much limited to LEAF, Bolt, i3, and the Model 3 if its in your price range.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cruft posted:

Does Toyota even make an EV? I can't keep up with everybody's offerings any more, but it seems like if you don't want an SUV or a low-range/low-speed weirdmobile, your options are pretty much limited to LEAF, Bolt, i3, and the Model 3 if its in your price range.

the busy forks and OP shouldn't buy one

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Toyota makes a compliance EV car with a dumb name. It's not a very good car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

Sounds like a clever move

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

I believe Tesla has been including CCS in superchargers since 2019 and CCS in cars since 2020. The retrofit is available for all Tesla vehicles.

Unrelated note, My grandpa has an Equinox EV on order so I'm excited to check that out when it arrives.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Not true. CCS supporting cars started being built in 2019, and require no upgrade. This means the vast majority of Teslas on the road in North America support CCS right now.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I guess this is time to consider selling our Model 3. I cannot see how this will improve anything with the EV experience at this point.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the busy forks and OP shouldn't buy one

this is probably true, but depending on your exact needs, they have been having very low cost lease deals - at least in some places. In Seattle, it looks like $199/mo, but in other places some 2023 models are getting down to $129/month. I'm not a lease-knower, but others seem to think it's pretty good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dealers have got to be desperate to unload those, there are so many on lots here. Literally the only vehicle on some Toyota lots.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Musk also fired the head of new product development.

I said come in! posted:

Might want to look at the VW Id.4 as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bone Crimes posted:

this is probably true, but depending on your exact needs, they have been having very low cost lease deals - at least in some places. In Seattle, it looks like $199/mo, but in other places some 2023 models are getting down to $129/month. I'm not a lease-knower, but others seem to think it's pretty good.

true, at this point there aren't really truly bad car products, only bad price points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Failson posted:

Musk also fired the head of new product development.

Might want to look at the VW Id.4 as well.

The ID.4 seems like the consummate Costco car.