Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

Pixel 2 XL seems more based upon the G6 than the V30.

Except for the completely different display technology and size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Also, the screen to body ratio for the Pixel 2 is actually worse than it's predecessors. :cripes:

abloohoo whatever will we do

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

lol that non-XL bezel is huge, i thought they were actually going to try to make it smaller.

oh well I'll probably keep my pixel 1 till the 3 comes out, bezels don't normally bother me but that's pretty insane, the smaller phone is the one that should be focused on smaller bezels.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Pixel 2 XL seems more based upon the G6 than the V30. Also, the screen to body ratio for the Pixel 2 is actually worse than it's predecessors. :cripes:

My friend, it's not based on either.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
pixel 2 is basically a finally good nexus 6p

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Just got the security update for Oreo. It said it will improve the stability and security of my Pixel. Funnily enough I have 5X, so they have already forgotten it exists or something. Rebooting now, here's to hoping I get a new phone when it restarts ;)

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I was gonna get the small pixel but the image leaks today might have pushed me into getting a big pixel

I'll be coming from a HTC M8 (which as of today, its glass has started lifting up out from the middle of the phone) so as long as the speakers on the p2xl arent poo poo Ill be very happy I think

hopefully I can baby it along and not have the glass fall out or the battery explode until november

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ColdPie posted:

It's a black rectangle, dude, what do you want?

A loving Datsun, a loving Toyota, a loving Mustang, a loving Buick — 4 loving wheels and a seat!

I want a loving car right loving now. A car being a phone with smaller bezels.

:iiaca:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there going to be a non-panda white one? I recently saw a picture of one exactly matching the latest leaks. Hope the black one has the orange power button, too.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Calaveron posted:

They had a ton of sales/promos back in August. I missed getting $100 or so off my XL by like 4 days but I did get a free Google Home.

Speaking of cases, do they make like good reliable cases ala spigen/caseology that are a color that isn't black, stupid blue name or silver? I want some color in my phone

I have a blue and gold caseology parallax, they do different colours of you spend more than 2 minutes on their site!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

spiky butthole posted:

I have a blue and gold caseology parallax, they do different colours of you spend more than 2 minutes on their site!

I want a bright red case that makes my phone look like a toy or a space age pocket computer from a 90's sci fi show, not some fancy shmancy muted color for grown ups

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Walmart jumped the gun on google home mini with an Oct 19 release date which lines up with the pixel 2 rumored date.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-H...5&wl13=&veh=sem

Also a pic of the pixel 2 xl

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 3, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Someone did the math and the Pixel 2 XL is almost exactly the same size as the Pixel XL:

quote:

Based on the renders we have yesterday, if we scale the picture to the known dimensions of the display, which are 136 mm x 68 mm, we are able to then overlay the full body and see that it is 154.4 mm x 75.2 mm, give or take half a millimeter (due to less than exacting tools).
The original Pixel XL was 154.7 mm x 75.7 mm, meaning that the new one is within .5 mm in both directions of the original. Basically if you know the size of the first one, you know how this one will feel size wise as well.
We also then can subtract the display size horizontal of 68 mm from the device width of 75 mm and determine that the side bezels are approximately 3.5 mm each (3.5 x 2), which puts them closer to the side bezels of the new iPhone X (4 mm) than say the Essential PH-1 (2.5 mm).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ugh, except those stupid rounded screen corners. Why are those even a thing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You know what's hilarious? That loving retarded Youtube search engine and my Google-Fu don't agree at all. I had to go to some of these blogs and get the link to the Youtube livestream.

--edit: Wait, gently caress. Why did I think it was today?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ONTXHS2mM

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I was leaning towards getting an S8 or V30 but seeing the final-ish images of the Pixel 2 XL has me interested. That panda colorway looks so nice especially in the most recent Walmart image.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The s8 is poo poo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Don Lapre posted:

The s8 is poo poo

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hooah posted:

Ugh, except those stupid rounded screen corners. Why are those even a thing?

Because they look nice and don't pose an issue at all (especially on ~2:1 phones where they don't even slightly cut into video content).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

The s8 is poo poo

I mean, I'm pretty well known as a Pixel warrior itt, but the S8 is not bad at all. If the Pixel is unavailable somewhere (outside the US it's very normal to not be able to get it easily or cheaply) I'd totally recommend the S8.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hmmxkrazee posted:

I was leaning towards getting an S8 or V30 but seeing the final-ish images of the Pixel 2 XL has me interested. That panda colorway looks so nice especially in the most recent Walmart image.

I mean, the Pixel 2 isn't out yet so I don't think anyone can recommend it, but assuming its as good as the Pixel 1...

Let's rate the Pixel 2 a 10. The S8 is probably 6.5-7ish, and going off their reliability track record the V30 is probably a 4ish.

(ratings based on flagship phones)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

One thing the S8 did really well, other than the screen as per usual, is it got a LOT better with performance degradation. I haven't seen the typical "Samsung lag" after months of us, and there's a lot of info out there too about how the battery doesn't degrade after a year+ of time.

My ideal phone, right now, is the S8+ hardware with the Pixel software, but that's a pipe dream. I can compromise on the hardware so I get a Pixel, can't compromise on software/OS/updates for me personally.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, the Pixel 2 isn't out yet so I don't think anyone can recommend it, but assuming its as good as the Pixel 1...

Let's rate the Pixel 2 a 10. The S8 is probably 6.5-7ish, and going off their reliability track record the V30 is probably a 4ish.

(ratings based on flagship phones)

The Pixel 2 has no wireless charging, expandable storage nor a headphone jack and a design right out of 2012. Sometimes the whole Nexus warrior thing seems a bit zelotic. And I say this as someone whose last thee phones were two Nexuses and a near stock Moto X 2012.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont see whats so great about the s8 screen. The curve is terrible in actual usage.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 3, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Decius posted:

The Pixel 2 has no wireless charging, expandable storage nor a headphone jack and a design right out of 2012. Sometimes the whole Nexus warrior thing seems a bit zelotic. And I say this as someone whose last thee phones were two Nexuses and a near stock Moto X 2012.

BUT LG BAD BOOT LOOP. BOOOT LOOOOOOOPPS

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I dont see whats so great about the s8 screen. The curve is terrible in actual usage.

I like it, I do use a case though, the Spigen Neo Hybrid. And it's extremely high quality, bright, viewing angles, sunlight readability, etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Decius posted:

On the other hand it runs well.

Like, if people know they REALLY HAVE TO HAVE WIRELESS CHARGING then they don't have any choice so I don't know what your point has to do with anything other than the desire to Be Different.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I've never had an LG but I've read about the bootloops everywhere so that was definitely a red flag for the V30. However, isn't the Pixel 2 XL made by LG? I'd be upgrading through Verizon so I'm assuming any issues that arise will be handled with them.

I've used an S8 at work and the screen is awesome and I haven't had any issues with the curvature (during my limited usage).

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Decius posted:

The Pixel 2 has a design right out of 2012.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Thermopyle posted:

On the other hand it runs well.

Like, if people know they REALLY HAVE TO HAVE WIRELESS CHARGING then they don't have any choice so I don't know what your point has to do with anything other than the desire to Be Different.

It's just a good phone. People are a bit silly with how much they fellate the drat thing.

It's bar none indisputably the best presentation of Android as a mobile OS.

It is not a "10" to the V30's "4".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hmmxkrazee posted:

I've never had an LG but I've read about the bootloops everywhere so that was definitely a red flag for the V30. However, isn't the Pixel 2 XL made by LG? I'd be upgrading through Verizon so I'm assuming any issues that arise will be handled with them.

I've used an S8 at work and the screen is awesome and I haven't had any issues with the curvature (during my limited usage).

The plausible argument is that with the Pixel line Google designs/specs the phone and that will make the difference with regards to LG bootlooping.

Note that plausibility only has a tenuous relationship to reality. We just won't know until after its' been out for long enough. I will note that Google customer services on their phones is pretty fantastic so that might put your mind at ease.

The Pixel is just smoother than other phones. Check this article detailing the relative jank between the Pixel XL, Note 8, and OnePlus 5.

Whether the Pixel 2 continues what Google did with the Pixel 1 with regards to jank is yet to be seen.

Shere posted:

I mean, sure if you disregard LG's reliability track record I agree.

As I noted, this is comparing flagship phones, all of which are way better than like $200 phones or whatever. If the Pixel is a 10, and I dunno, some high-spec flagship-ish phone from some unknown OEM is a 1, then I don't see anything controversial with calling the V30 a 4. They're all going to be needs-meeting phones.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 3, 2017

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Shere posted:

It's just a good phone. People are a bit silly with how much they fellate the drat thing.

It's bar none indisputably the best presentation of Android as a mobile OS.

Agreed. I was really impressed with the camera but didn't really get the "BUTTER SMOOV" stuff. It was marginally faster at multitasking than my phone and I didn't notice any other big differences. I guess I am that person who just uses the same 10 apps and doesn't understand paying $900 for these things though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ColdPie posted:

One where more than 60 % of the front of the black rectangle actually has a function. Like modern phones at this price point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hmmxkrazee posted:

The plausible argument is that with the Pixel line Google designs/specs the phone and that will make the difference with regards to LG bootlooping.

Note that plausibility only has a tenuous relationship to reality. We just won't know until after its' been out for long enough. I will note that Google customer services on their phones is pretty fantastic so that might put your mind at ease.

The Pixel is just smoother than other phones. Check this article detailing the relative jank between the Pixel XL, Note 8, and OnePlus 5.

Whether the Pixel 2 continues what Google did with the Pixel 1 with regards to jank is yet to be seen.

Shere posted:

It's just a good phone.

Not sure how this is different from what I said.

Shere posted:

I mean, sure if you disregard LG's reliability track record I agree.

As I noted, this is comparing flagship phones, all of which are way better than like $200 phones or whatever. If the Pixel is a 10, and I dunno, some high-spec flagship-ish phone from some unknown OEM is a 1, then I don't see anything controversial with calling the V30 a 4. They're all going to be needs-meeting phones.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I really like how the Galaxy S8 can enable sticky immersion mode in every app with a hard-press invisible home button. It is such a nice design that I am surprised other people haven't cloned it yet. It might not have the most perfect butter smooth experience, but it is without a doubt one of the best phones Samsung has built so far. I think people highly underrate it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nalin posted:

I really like how the Galaxy S8 can enable sticky immersion mode in every app with a hard-press invisible home button. It is such a nice design that I am surprised other people haven't cloned it yet. It might not have the most perfect butter smooth experience, but it is without a doubt one of the best phones Samsung has built so far. I think people highly underrate it.

As far as I can tell it is definitely the best. It's a nice phone.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Perhaps we should try triangular phones

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Don Lapre posted:

Walmart jumped the gun on google home mini with an Oct 19 release date which lines up with the pixel 2 rumored date.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-H...5&wl13=&veh=sem

Also a pic of the pixel 2 xl

It's too bad the regular Pixel 2 won't look like that, cause I'd totally trade up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Perhaps we should try triangular phones