Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Digirat posted:

The description on the melee attack on the controllable stun lance you can get from a continent bonus, says that it has a chance to stun and then if the unit has been wounded already, a chance to go unconscious.

anyway here's the stun lancer who told me that blowing up their base

The stun/unconscious procs on the stun lancer is based purely on Will rolls, low level XCOM units have about a 30% chance of being unconscioused, high levels are much less likely to be adversely affected. That text is either an oversight or relates to how Will works differently for enemy units - it might be right for bad guys.

Edit: The Templar took damage despite fortress because you hit him with a grenadier with Volatile Mix, and the bonus damage from volatile mix is not counted as explosive. (That's how it doesn't increase environmental damage. I think it may also bypass chosen explosive immunity if you ever need to plink one for two hp).

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I always use the No Unconscious Stunlancer mod because ain't nobody got time for that

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I just kill the gently caress out of stunlancers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fangz posted:

I just kill the gently caress out of stunlancers.

"Commander, you may want to instruct your-"
three grenades go off within a second of each other

Seriously, gently caress Stunlancers. They're 70% of the reason I carry around flashbangs. (20% for Codex and 10% for Sectoids).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I guess sectoids been hitting the gym with daddy bradford

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

On my first mission after the tutorial I immediately started using dashes until I found aliens, I thought you were supposed to. The game even recommends OW traps when you first find some. I kind of figured it was expected also with the opening mission being a bomb mission.

I was surprised how many baddies showed up on my mission compared to the two pods of sectoids on the first Classic mission in XCOM. I just couldn't figure out how to do it without effectively sacrificing whomever I sent to deactivate the bomb/magnetic cube. Paro about using the machete attack because though it's a good hit percentage you're so exposed. Also my first ever grenade did not damage and I was freaking out that I couldn't get the ol reliable 3 points of damage. Though I guess with the weakest baddie being 4 and grenades being 3-4 they're kind of nerfed.

The second level in the tutorial sequence is insanely hard. You have your four grenades and an unreliable yolo roll on a shotgun flanking crit and nothing else to your advantage against three pods, a short rear end time limit and a very very very unfairly placed disarm target. Completing it without the Ranger dieing is a good result.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's kind of astounding how much easier the game is when the tutorial missions are disabled.

The Chosen tutorial mission is goddamn insane for the point in the game you have to do it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jessant posted:

The second level in the tutorial sequence is insanely hard. You have your four grenades and an unreliable yolo roll on a shotgun flanking crit and nothing else to your advantage against three pods, a short rear end time limit and a very very very unfairly placed disarm target. Completing it without the Ranger dieing is a good result.

Okay I'm glad it's not jsut me sucking then because it took a few goes to get it right, though I was still trying to get the hang of the alert tiles etc. I managed to only lose a rookie after things went a bit sideways and it also took some luck.

I don't think I have WOTC on PC though I think it's free? I ended up getting the whole bundle on PS4 so I can game on my big TV easier than my PC, and I plan to start a campaign there after I get through a few hours of practice on PC.

Buff sectoids are so creepy

Funky Valentine posted:

It's kind of astounding how much easier the game is when the tutorial missions are disabled.

The Chosen tutorial mission is goddamn insane for the point in the game you have to do it.

actually your av/name went through the same changes as them lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're called Pectoids thank you

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Mandatory post:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

I guess sectoids been hitting the gym with daddy bradford

Pec-toids

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fangz posted:

Edit: The Templar took damage despite fortress because you hit him with a grenadier with Volatile Mix, and the bonus damage from volatile mix is not counted as explosive. (That's how it doesn't increase environmental damage. I think it may also bypass chosen explosive immunity if you ever need to plink one for two hp).

That’s dumb as poo poo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Pec-toids

RBA Starblade posted:

They're called Pectoids thank you

lol

Slashrat posted:

Mandatory post:

This is so niche to my tastes :allears:

For my ranger so far I went with the improvement for slash and the new and disimproved Lightning Reflexes. Well I suppose Shadowstep is nice for running multiple OWs but I can't use it to burn an OW anymore. Interesting change I guess. The customiser is so deep though :stare:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

lol

For my ranger so far I went with the improvement for slash and the new and disimproved Lightning Reflexes. Well I suppose Shadowstep is nice for running multiple OWs but I can't use it to burn an OW anymore. Interesting change I guess. The customiser is so deep though :stare:

Lightning Reflexes can show up as a random perk for anyone now :eng101:

Its the only random pool perk that isn't taken from anyone's class tree in vanilla.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How does the skill tree work?

It's nice your snipers get Squad Sight as their default class move

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

How does the skill tree work?

It's nice your snipers get Squad Sight as their default class move

Its different between Vanilla and WOTC.

In Vanilla every soldier had a hidden perk at some level. This could be anything from Shadowstep to Shredder to Rapid Fire. Once promoted to that level they unlocked that random perk for free.

The catch was it required you to build the AWC. If the soldier had already promoted to the level they rolled their hidden random perk on before you did so, too bad they were hosed out of it forever and you wouldn't know until they hit Colonel and still had no bonus perk.

In WOTC the system was scrapped and every soldier got up to 4 of the hidden perks that you can buy with Ability points. Every character earns a certain amount on promotion (base of 3 and maximum of 10 if you roll a 1/5000 Savant (every soldier is assigned a random 'intelligence)) and perks cost 10-16 depending on rank with some powerful ones like Rapid Fire costing 25. You can also spend points to get the other perk of the same level once you've chosen your free one. There's a universal pool of points you can use to supplement this and you gain points by doing things like killing from an ambush or from killing from above for a max of 2 per mission plus 5 any time you kill a Chosen.

The special faction soldiers also get 0 perks for free and work entirely within this system, though to compensate they always get enough points on rank up to buy a perk of that tier regardless of their intelligence.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So is WOTC like EW then? I'd be better off starting a new WOTC game even if it's my first ever game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

So is WOTC like EW then? I'd be better off starting a new WOTC game even if it's my first ever game?

Yeah, basically.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay cool thank you! I'll start a new campaign now!

Can't wait to dressup my legion of killerZ

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I guess the mess of new features and systems in WotC might be a bit overwhelming for some first timers, but really anyone who's into these kinda games will figure them out. So yeah, get WotC and go nuts.

And once you're done with your first run, it's modding time. :unsmigghh:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nordick posted:

I guess the mess of new features and systems in WotC might be a bit overwhelming for some first timers, but really anyone who's into these kinda games will figure them out. So yeah, get WotC and go nuts.

And once you're done with your first run, it's modding time. :unsmigghh:

I have WOTC on PS4 so I'm gonna start it now! By the time I finish up a campaign on that I'll be in a new place with v good internet so I can steam link from my PC and mod that version of the game. I am the shen of playing games.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is this chick Susan Sarandon? hell ye

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

lol

There's a lot less overwatches in the second game. Most come from robots that can OW when revealed instead of dash in cover.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Intelligence can be raised by a covert action in game so don’t sweat it if your favorite gi joe ends up being a normie btw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm very excited to have my rainbow coalition of death dealers with insane names back and have them lead by Jane "Plane Jain" Kelly with her sensible pony tail and plasma cannon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you see yourself playing more than once then I'd start with the base game. All of the expansion's stuff competes with the base game's within the same pool of resources, so you have to figure out how to best fit its new buildings in with the same number of building slots, fitting in its new research options when you already don't know which ones in the base game are worth prioritizing, etc. You have more Things to juggle (usually on the geoscape, sometimes in missions too) and I'd have a pretty drat hard time comparing the relative value of any given thing vs another if I hadn't played the base game first.

The base game is already a very complete package so you aren't going to be wanting for content, while almost every bug, flaw and instance of jank with the base game has been dutifully preserved into the expansion so it really isn't a better experience than vanilla XCOM 2, it just has more content.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Digirat posted:

while almost every bug, flaw and instance of jank with the base game has been dutifully preserved into the expansion so it really isn't a better experience than vanilla XCOM 2, it just has more content.

I've seen far fewer line-of-sight bugs in recent playthroughs, at least on the procgen maps, so they have been patching. I assume that both versions received that attention.

The Blacksite and other base-game handcrafted maps are still full of weird holes and invisible walls, though, last I checked. It's rather odd.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also the performance boost cannot be understated because holy poo poo does the game run better with WotC.

Until you bog it down with 100+ mods, obviously.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to start a campaign with RPGO. And I'm going to rename musashis Sam specialization to Shinobi and give it the shinobi icon because it's me, I'm that guy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

With about 20 mods, none of which should impact performance except gotcha again and resistance firearms, war of the chosen often struggles to maintain 30 FPS at a whopping 1080p on my dusty, aging GTX 1080, i7-8700 and 32 GB of RAM

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

With about 20 mods, none of which should impact performance except gotcha again and resistance firearms, war of the chosen often struggles to maintain 30 FPS at a whopping 1080p on my dusty, aging GTX 1080, i7-8700 and 32 GB of RAM

tbf you just named the two largest performance reducing mode I know of

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Managed to get a flawless win on the tutorial magnet engine mission which was nice. Though Jane Kelly had to do some serious dodging to manage it. The camera function is neat :3:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
They missed a real opportunity to do a mission set for stealing the avenger and instead wasted a slot giving you backstory to... the radio network?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wish it were possible to just get the CoD IW energy weapons since I now realize those are the only guns from the Resistance Weapons pack I actually use.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The best mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1542135731

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Xarbala posted:

I wish it were possible to just get the CoD IW energy weapons since I now realize those are the only guns from the Resistance Weapons pack I actually use.

i see you're a Laser AK47 and Laser M4 kinda person

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Psion posted:

i see you're a Laser AK47 and Laser M4 kinda person

:hellyeah:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There is a mod that adds CoD cannons like the Mauler now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Carecat posted:

They missed a real opportunity to do a mission set for stealing the avenger and instead wasted a slot giving you backstory to... the radio network?

It Came From the Sea is the best story of the set, so.