Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

twistedmentat posted:

I really wish 1st wasn't like 20bux a month. It should be like 5, even 10 I'd pay!

I'd probably pay for it if it was $5/mo, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not 20 a month. I think it’s like 12 at most. Whcih yeah that’s real high imo so idk if I’ll keep it much so I’ll just keep scrapping and storing until I decide

12bux in real money, but I live in Canada.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Flesh Forge posted:

collect a bunch of some consumable that is convenient for you to irradiate yourself with (e.g. toxic goo will put you over the threshold in one unit, there's a puddle you can collect from just inside West Tek), some people use gamma guns instead of this
collect a bunch of some consumable that does the reverse e.g. brahmin milk
also take the Aqua Grrl perk to ignore a whole bunch of environmental rads

Oh yeah, I already have a gamma gun, asteroid, rad scrubber, etc... I was just wondering why some of my rads would sometimes vanish when logging in/out. I guess that's just Bethesda jank!

Also I apparently still have some of my screenshots from launch and this one popped up on a loading screen. I kind of miss this bug tbh, it was pretty hilarious:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

yeah it's irritating bethesda jank. be careful not to leave yourself loaded down with junk because your carry weight also vanishes

the railway rifle would do that head thing when i first started using it come to think of it they must have only gotten rid of it recently.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I started the Nuka-World DLC in FO4. Man, this whole premise kinda sucks? Raiders are lame and the conceit that I would want to lead any of them has no grounding in reality. I should cleanse this whole region with a rain of bullets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

I started the Nuka-World DLC in FO4. Man, this whole premise kinda sucks? Raiders are lame and the conceit that I would want to lead any of them has no grounding in reality. I should cleanse this whole region with a rain of bullets.

yeah it sort of undermines the entire premise of the settlement concept by then asking you to build up things that'll gently caress up the very communities you [presumably] worked so hard to establish

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Nuka World assumes that you hate Preston and hate the settlement system, but still want to interact with it in a different way, so they give you Not Preston to set up Not Settlements

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not 20 a month. I think it’s like 12 at most. Whcih yeah that’s real high imo so idk if I’ll keep it much so I’ll just keep scrapping and storing until I decide

In Australia its 22.95 a month cause we have to pay the distance tax on all things. If I stump up for 12 off the bat it's $179.85 which is still high but 35% cheaper

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SettingSun posted:

imo the problem is the preset starting background, you just have no reason at all to engage with the raider plot stuff unless you completely reject all the main quest and player character background poo poo (which you should)

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Nuka World assumes that you hate Preston and hate the settlement system, but still want to interact with it in a different way, so they give you Not Preston to set up Not Settlements

this would be fine, but ~MY CHILD~ :qq:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is quite humorous (at least to me) that so much of Fallout 4 was written without asking the question, "how does this help the main character further their goal". Child, what child! Can't ask about them so they clearly don't exist.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

There is an option to do that. But it's best saved for after you explore the entirety of nuka-world and when the raiders start wanting to expand into the Commonwealth. The worldbuilding of the theme park and surrounds is the best part, as you'd expect from a Bethesda DLC.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

CJacobs posted:

It is quite humorous (at least to me) that so much of Fallout 4 was written without asking the question, "how does this help the main character further their goal". Child, what child! Can't ask about them so they clearly don't exist.

It's part of why Preston Garvey comes off as a huge rear end in a top hat. You have to find your kid but he keeps reasserting that his needs are more important than yours. You would think, at bare minimum, he would send out his patrols to ask around different settlements and cities about Shaun while you are doing his bidding.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
drat I've never thought about it but that's totally true. Even a single ambient "welcome back General, no news about Shaun yet" would have done wonders.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
This is going to seem like a crazy post in 2024, but I'm looking for a beginner's guide/tips on getting started in Fallout4 (I've never played a Fallout game before).

Here are some random questions I have:

I already created my character, but are there any traps I should avoid with SPECIAL points or perks? I went 6 in Perception, Charisma, Intelligence (my thinking is that these stats look like they would unlock more content).
I have Sanctuary up and running and 2-3 other "bases" connected to it, basically by just following the missions. But what is the goal with the base-building or what should I be doing in general?
I have power-armor - should I always be using it or will fusion-cores be scarce?
Should I try to dump everything into my Junk stash at the workshop? Or should stuff be sold to vendors too? Are there any materials I should be going out of my way to look for and keep that I might be overlooking?
Do i have to accept that I need to eat irradiated food and get rid of the rads later, or should I get rid of all that? I seem to have a ton of food in my inv.
Crafting/mods - I have been using zero strategy for this and just adding random mods to random guns as I go along. I'd appreciate a high-level strategy on what to do with mods mainly for guns but also for armor and the power-suit
I kinda suck at the combat - is it because I am using underpowered guns, I should be using the power-suit, my stats/perks are wrong? Should I be using VATS more?

I enjoy the game and also going into it completely blind is cool from a spoiler perspective, but I'm finding it increasingly tough to deal with what appear to be normal enemies and elite/skull enemies I can only tackle with a lot of effort, luck and cheese.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

drat I've never thought about it but that's totally true. Even a single ambient "welcome back General, no news about Shaun yet" would have done wonders.

alternatively just don't force that lame poo poo on every player every playthrough, only FO3/FO4 have that stupid fixed backstory

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kaesarsosei posted:

* you generally do not want to [completely] develop bases that are too close together, with the prime example being Sanctuary, Red Rocket, and Abernathy Farm. Drop a bed in all of them so you can sleep there, but try to pick one per region - it's usually going to be Sanctuary in that corner of the map if only because it gets developed almost immediately as a result of you following along with the quests.

* if a settlement has water in excess of its needs, and/or food in excess of its needs, you'll find extra food/water showing up in the settlement's workshop. Later, and with the Local Leader perk (which you can take with your 6 CHA), you can place vendors in the settlements, letting them operate as more of a town/base, along with being able to place workbenches, and then being able to set-up caravans that allow settlements to virtually share resources (so you, the player, don't have to personally haul/stock items to the workbenches yourself)

* if you're not picking up and hauling back absolutely everything, you'll eventually get a feel for what's more or less valuable, versus what isn't. Anything that yields only wood or steel, for example, tends to be not worth picking up because there's always a lot of it to spare just from breaking down things at a settlement. Things that break down into adhesive, or gears, or screws, or circuitry, tends to be valuable because they're key items for crafting and building that are quite rare.

* the balance of what to keep, what to sell, and what to scrap depends on how you approach the game. If you're heavily invested/interested in developing settlements, then you should try to keep a lot of everything you find, and bring it back to a workbench. Keeping things to sell can be useful as far as making sure you can always buy stuff in a pinch, but it's not so easy until/unless you have reliable access to a vendor, such as in Drumlin's Diner or Diamond City or Trashcan Carla.

* yes, in general you'll be eating irradiated food, and then you'll be using Rad-Away or paying an NPC doctor to remove the rads once you have a lot of rads built up. Do remember to cook all the raw meat you find, since that greatly reduces the rads you'll take from them while also granting better effects. I generally avoid eating anything raw whatsoever. Eventually you can get the Lead Belly perk to let you eat anything without taking rads, but that's a ways into the game to max it out.

* for combat, you want to pick a perk that buffs a weapon type and invest in that. Pistols is a natural choice just because you start with one and it's easy to find more, but even taking rifles can be okay since it doesn't take too much effort to find (or make) a pipe rifle. I personally also like taking the damage-reduction perk. Basically, invest in combat perks to become good at combat.

* yes, you do want to use VATS a lot, if only because you take less damage while the VATS animation is playing out.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

This is going to seem like a crazy post in 2024, but I'm looking for a beginner's guide/tips on getting started in Fallout4 (I've never played a Fallout game before).

I already created my character, but are there any traps I should avoid with SPECIAL points or perks? I went 6 in Perception, Charisma, Intelligence (my thinking is that these stats look like they would unlock more content).
I have Sanctuary up and running and 2-3 other "bases" connected to it, basically by just following the missions. But what is the goal with the base-building or what should I be doing in general?
I have power-armor - should I always be using it or will fusion-cores be scarce?
Should I try to dump everything into my Junk stash at the workshop? Or should stuff be sold to vendors too? Are there any materials I should be going out of my way to look for and keep that I might be overlooking?
Do i have to accept that I need to eat irradiated food and get rid of the rads later, or should I get rid of all that? I seem to have a ton of food in my inv.
Crafting/mods - I have been using zero strategy for this and just adding random mods to random guns as I go along. I'd appreciate a high-level strategy on what to do with mods mainly for guns but also for armor and the power-suit
I kinda suck at the combat - is it because I am using underpowered guns, I should be using the power-suit, my stats/perks are wrong? Should I be using VATS more?

I enjoy the game and also going into it completely blind is cool from a spoiler perspective, but I'm finding it increasingly tough to deal with what appear to be normal enemies and elite/skull enemies I can only tackle with a lot of effort, luck and cheese.

SPECIAL: You can proabably do whatever, especially on normal. There's not too much hidden content behind them, with the exception of Charisma. Breakpoints to keep in mind: STR 3 lets you get the perk to mod armor. PER 4 gets you lockpicking perks. END doesn't really have specific perk levels to aim for, many people treat it as a dump stat. END 4 does let you get immunity to chem addiction so you can go hog wild with them. CHA you either want to get to 3 (Lone Wanderer perk), or to 6+. At 6 you get the Local Leader perk which is essential if you want to be a settlement builder. CHA does let you use dialogue to solve some quests, or get more caps etc. INT 3 is essential to get gun mods. INT 6 lets you get high-tech mods (mostly for energy weapons etc). INT 9 gets you a perk that lets power armor fusion cores last much longer. LUCK is a mixed bag - high luck gets a bunch of VATS critical boosts which can very easily solve a lot of combat problems. But low luck is also fine. The interesting perk is at LUCK 5 - Idiot Savant gets you a chance to multiply any XP reward, with a higher chance the lower your INT is.
Keep in mind when building that 1) You will be able to find an item for each SPECIAL stat to boost it permanently by 1. 2) There is an item you can get right at the beginning that will boost one SPECIAL of your choice permanently by 1. 3) You can always invest levels into SPECIAL stats as you go.

Base-building: This is up to your preference. You have CHA 6, so you can take the Local Leader perk and set up supply lines between establishments (which lets settlements share their workshop resources essentially). Building up settlements will let you get extra resources (food/water at first, but also later you can invest and get bonus scrap items and caps). You can also ignore it entirely without any concerns. Especially on non-Survival, you can just have one main home base that you travel to to drop off your stuff and store things for later.

Power Armor: Fusion cores are not rare, but if you don't have the perk to make them last longer, you probably don't want to be using Power Armor all the time. Sprinting in PA will also consume cores much faster. But there are plenty of cores for you to take it on any difficult or longer missions, if you are going into a hostile facility, etc.

Junk: You will probably quickly get a sense of junk that has value for building and modding. You can get a perk that lets you choose favorite components, and then junk in the field will be highlighted. This will depend on how much settlement building you are doing, but in general I would recommend picking up junk that has the following: Adhesive (glues, duct tape, etc), Aluminum (TV dinner trays, aluminum cans, many other things), Ceramic (coffee cups), Oil (fuel cans) and anything that has rare components (fiber optics, nuclear materials, gold, crystal, circuitry) - watches are usually good and lightweight to pick up, circuits from dead robots, etc. You can get a lot of rare components as well from the Scrapper perk, which will also keep you stocked in screws and other common modding materials if you dismantle guns you bring back.

Eating: Cooking foods lets you craft meals that are both much better benefits, and lower or no rads (or even heal your radiation, like Mutant Hound Chops). Food-based rads are pretty minor as it is, and you can find/buy lots of RadAway, or you can spend caps at a doctor to remove rads.

Weapons/Mods: The big thing is to pick a weapon perk type and stick with it (Rifleman/Commando/Gunslinger, etc). Always boost that perk ASAP. Then carry weapons that are boosted by that perk. I personally like the Rifleman the best - it covers all single-shot (non-automatic) rifles, so you get sniper rifles, shotguns, single-shot combat/laser/plasma rifles, the laser musket, etc. Not sure what you mean by randomly picking mods. Each mod sort of tells you what they do for the gun. The most important mods are the receivers/capacitors - those affect damage in a big way. Barrels, grips, and magazines are less important - accuracy, recoil, and ammo count/reload rate. Sights are good for accuracy, both in and outside of VATS, though outside of sniper weapons, the bigger sights are clunky - I usually stick to the iron sights/reflex sights for most weapons. There are mods that alter the ammo a weapon takes (typically you can chose to go to a more common/cheaper ammo that does less damage, or go to a more expensive/rarer ammo that does more damage). There are also mods that change the weapon type - like adding an auto-receiver to make an automatic rifle. For the laser/plasma, the grip can change it from a pistol-type to a rifle-type.

Combat: VATS is useful to use, especially at close range. You may not have noticed it, there's a critical bar that fills up as you do damage in VATS. Once it's full, you can press [Space] (or whatever the button on console is) to trigger a critical hit on your next VATS attack - this attack is basically guaranteed to hit (if its not a 0% chance) and will do a bunch of extra damage, and since it's a guaranteed hit you can target the head or other weak point to do even more. Luck stat will build up criticals faster, and has perks for more/better/stored criticals. Other than that, make sure your perks and weapons are aligned, and use power armor, grenades, chems, etc to help with tough encounters. Sometimes a quest directs you to an encounter that is very difficult, so you might just need to go off and do other things for a bit.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 19, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Entorwellian posted:

It's part of why Preston Garvey comes off as a huge rear end in a top hat. You have to find your kid but he keeps reasserting that his needs are more important than yours. You would think, at bare minimum, he would send out his patrols to ask around different settlements and cities about Shaun while you are doing his bidding.

I can't blame this on Preston directly. It's a consequence of how the quests are designed as discreet independent lines and how Bethesda seems to think the player has to personally take the reins in faction business despite nominally leading them entirely. I didn't even start the Minutemen story in my latest game and I am a happier player for it.

Back to Nuka-World: One of the raiders has the gall to tell me that he heard I'm some big shot in the Brotherhood (which is true, I went BoS this game and I've finished the main story). He should know as a consequence of that it is my sworn duty to cleanse the Commonwealth of filth like him. I acquired a mission from one of the slaves in the market to kill everyone and I am HIGHLY tempted to take it. My gut tells me this just involves killing literally everyone. Which is ok with me.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Gonna have to spend tomorrow’s session junking weapons and armor I don’t use cause I hit the cap again.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Embarrassed to admit how far I got into the season pass without realizing it was there.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Will the game still use stuff in the scrap box if I unsubscribe or do I have to take it out first? It won't start scrapping junk in my stash that I'm saving for decoration?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Finally decided to start up 76 and man, this is pretty good!

The story feels more in line with the older games, where the threat is there but it's really more about exploring the region and helping it rebuild. It's astounding how much better this feels for a Fallout game then the forced "where is my dad/son". I've seen some folks say it's not a particularly deep story and I'll agree, but it's told more competently then the storyline in 3 and 4. The factions make more sense, and you can better understand the why's of why they are at each others throats. Figuring out what happened and finding the Vault are good motivators and while they don't intertwine as much as they could, it works. Each of the regions seems to have it's own little self contained story as well, and most of them are pretty solid.

Both the companions seem neat. Wish they did even just two more rather then immediately swapping to the "lite" Allies. Both are comparable if not better then the F4 folks.

It being set so shortly after the bombs dropped is perfect, because it explains the shacks everywhere and lack of local government. Ironically F76 has a more designated local authority then F4 does, and you can see people actually rebuilding towns and getting pretty far long out in the wilds.

The Cryptid aspect was the perfect choice, and Cryptid hunting is a genuinely fun addition to the formula. The massive expansions to the radiated creature pool was also a huge help post F3/F4 which really played it a lot more safe.

If the quality stays this high going into the expeditions and they keep up with the content drops I'll probably end up liking this more then 4 in the end. I've always kinda viewed F3 and F4 as their own little self contained universe compared to the older games, but this really ties more to the soul of those older games then it does the newer two. It's really tripping me up, but in a good way.

breed to death
Aug 16, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Finally decided to start up 76 and man, this is pretty good!

I just started it again and I am astounded by how much they have improved it since launch. Even just general QOL stuff.

I'm no longer desperate for ammo.
I no longer feel bullied into paying for 1st by limited stash size.
I always loot enough food and Radaway and purified water to manage my hunger/thirst with relative ease.

I played it with friends into the wee hours of the morning doing Tadpole quests to get the +30lb backpack last night, and I only mildly regret it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Will the game still use stuff in the scrap box if I unsubscribe or do I have to take it out first? It won't start scrapping junk in my stash that I'm saving for decoration?

The scrap order for the game is Inventory - Stash - Scrapbox so the only way to protect Junk you want to keep for decoration purposes it to either put them in a Display case or assign them to your vendor. If you assign them to your vendor make sure to make them cost 40k a pop so NO ONE can buy it unless they get to max and walk to your camp.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SettingSun posted:

I only played it once, and i didn't even realize the raider factions had questines, I just did the outside stuff and then came in and purged them all in the Quantum x-01.

Even back before there was Fallout 3, people in the Fallout Usenet group would often post "i wish I could become a raider" in fallout 1 and 2. Then they still wanted it after 3 and NV, and so I guess Bethesda relented in FO4? Not realizing its kind of lovely and there's really only a small number of people who play these games to be a complete psychopath? They tended to overlap with the "we should be allowed to kill kids" demographic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Then they still wanted it after 3 and NV, and so I guess Bethesda relented in FO4? Not realizing its kind of lovely and there's really only a small number of people who play these games to be a complete psychopath? They tended to overlap with the "we should be allowed to kill kids" demographic.

Bethesda has kind of always had this problem where they don't write "evil" paths well beyond "you should be able to do the literal opposite of what the good path does", as demonstrated by the Megaton nuke. It's part-and-parcel of how they make this sort of amusement park vibe of open-world game design but it falls apart if you look at it too hard. In that sense I think it got reined in a bit for FO76 because you can't always have people behaving in that way in what's supposed to be an MMO.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 19, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is that there’s no respec option but there’s also conversely no level cap and xp gain remains at a good pace literally forever. In other words if you feel you need to get new perks, mess around with settlement building to get some XP. It won’t ruin the game long term or anything. You don’t need to worry about “wasted” levels.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well there's the problem that level scaling enemies' health will go up endlessly* while your combat/damage performance will plateau, but you can/should address that with a mod

* so will the player character's!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can go a long, long time before the scaling becomes becomes even a remote concern. I just finished the main story at level 35 and I demolished everything and everyone. I'll long get bored of cleaning up my remaining quests before I even reach 60, probably.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

You can kind of bone yourself especially in the early game if you neglect perks that directly affect your damage. It can artificially inflate the difficulty for a good while.

Fortunately this is FO4 so virtually every perk affects damage.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SettingSun posted:

You can go a long, long time before the scaling becomes becomes even a remote concern. I just finished the main story at level 35 and I demolished everything and everyone. I'll long get bored of cleaning up my remaining quests before I even reach 60, probably.

oh well yeah I'm talking more like level 100 or 200

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I actually remember that I had to grind levels to get enough CHA to unlock the advanced features in the settlement system. That really is the biggest fault on that game's design; Make a Sims-like simulator as a part of the game, and then lock it behind a SPECIAL requirement so that some of the players will miss it completely.

Surprisingly, in F76 does not seem to have that particular problem, all CAMP stuff unlocks the same way for everyone. So at least Bethesda seems to learn something from their previous games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You only really need Local Leader which is CHA 7, and you can start with that if you want. I’d guess if you want to ace the conversation checks you’d want it higher.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah gating core stuff like crafting benches behind charisma 6 was a really stupid design decision, just baffling :shrug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sure, but at least you can indefinitely grow your stats and get everything you could want, it's not too bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah so from what I saw you keep all the scrap you have still inside and can still use it as much as you want but you can’t put more into it until you resub

Tbh if you don’t want to resub just go ham collecting everything, scrapping it into your camp scrap box and then you’ll have a poo poo load when your sub ends.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
(Fo4) there are some specific enemy types which become complete terminators between levels 15-35 If you do not early-invest invest on a specific weapon perk, one named example being goddamn mirelurks. Their ridiculous speed and armor makes them something nasty.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I kinda ditched Nuka-World because I am going to kill all of them but with not enough drive to do it right now so it's on to Far Harbor. So far, this DLC is way better. I dig the Lovecraftian vibes it's already giving off.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Thanks for the fallout 4 modding help, was also curious if there's anything like it for fallout 3, goty edition if it matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think the most popular one is Tale of Two Wastelands, which ports the entire game of Fallout 3 into New Vegas, so you can play through FO3 with NV's engine improvements like actually being able to aim down sights