Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tardigrade posted:

There's a lot of things done that are sensibly ignored in the following books. And reading it after reading later UU-centric stories is quite jarring.

The event is deliberately glossed over because none of the wizards want to admit they were there. I think it's the Dean who is asked what he did during the business with the Sourcerer, and he claims to have been visiting his aunt in Psuedopolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
It was in Interesting Times

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm clearing out some stuff I don't have room for and since the local libraries won't take donations, anyone want any hard cover versions of the following:

Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
Going Postal
Making Money
Monstrous Regiment
Unseen Academicals
Thud
Night Watch
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

All I'd ask for in return is shipping costs and give them a good home.

Still available? Maybe we can chat about some of these. Got email?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All still available, email address is nicholasile02(at)gmail.com, hit me up.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Jedit posted:

The event is deliberately glossed over because none of the wizards want to admit they were there. I think it's the Dean who is asked what he did during the business with the Sourcerer, and he claims to have been visiting his aunt in Psuedopolis.

Also its implied somewhere that Ridcully was made Archchancellor because he was the one senior wizard who genuinely had nothing to do with the whole affair. What with being sat on the family estate communing with nature (WINGED THE BLIGHTER!).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ferrosol posted:

Also its implied somewhere that Ridcully was made Archchancellor because he was the one senior wizard who genuinely had nothing to do with the whole affair. What with being sat on the family estate communing with nature (WINGED THE BLIGHTER!).

Don't they specifically make him Archchancellor because they need a quiet period after Sourcery and they think he's simple enough that when they want to go back to the plotting/promotion by assassination ways they can just kill him?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

thebardyspoon posted:

Don't they specifically make him Archchancellor because they need a quiet period after Sourcery and they think he's simple enough that when they want to go back to the plotting/promotion by assassination ways they can just kill him?

Pretty much. They are wrong however, Ridcully is probably the wiliest of them all.

I wish his brother was a more explored character.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Antinumeric posted:

I wish his brother was a more explored character.

Yeah, I always thought Pratchett missed out on a lot of good opportunities with Pope Ridcully.

The contrasts could have been amazing, since Ridcully is the anti-atheist in all ways, since he flat out can prove Gods and magic exist, yet at the same time that's exactly NOT what the religious leaders want to hear, they want it all taken on faith and miracles, not proof and evidence.

It'd be neat to read the religious debate like that, because such a debate can't happen in the roundworld.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Well the old lightning bolt argument didn't work on Dorfl so he'll need more than just existence.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Well, poo poo, pterry's actually doing signings today. I didn't bring anything. :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

Well, poo poo, pterry's actually doing signings today. I didn't bring anything. :(

Have him sign your boobs.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Smiling Jack posted:

He's still doing signings? Has his signature become a heavily squiggled T followed by a flat line yet?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Goddamnit! Terry and Rob are 30 minutes away from me at the B&N in NYC right now. Why didn't I check my twitter feed earlier.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I thought he was unable to sign anymore :S

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hempuli posted:

I thought he was unable to sign anymore :S

Pterry didn't sign at the Convention because he was a big part of the schedule. At least 3 hours of events a day require his presence and activity, and he tries to be available to chat with the fans as well, but it's exhausting for him. A signing tour is different; then he does nothing but sign and briefly chat with people. I expect signing is restricted to one item per person, so combined with the talking he'll only be signing one or two books a minute. That's doable for a few hours, when he has nothing else to do and can sleep between stops.

Edit: Just looked it up. The tour is only three talking stops - two in NYC, one in Chicago - and he will not be signing books at the events, though attendees will be able to get pre-signed bookplates.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I suppose I could get someone to gift a copy to me from the US store? The odd thing is that I actually do have a valid US delivery address that worked with digital game downloads, even with the billing address registered to my country.

I'm quoting myself here in case anyone tries the same thing: nah, it doesn't work. :sigh:

Oh well, at least I still got 8~ bucks worth of credit to spend on a book.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Jedit posted:

A signing tour is different; then he does nothing but sign and briefly chat with people. I expect signing is restricted to one item per person, so combined with the talking he'll only be signing one or two books a minute. That's doable for a few hours, when he has nothing else to do and can sleep between stops.
When he was in DC on tour last year he wasn't signing at all; just using a stamp.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Presto posted:

When he was in DC on tour last year he wasn't signing at all; just using a stamp.

I'm sure it is an awesomely unique stamp, remember that sword he had made from that rare meteor ore a year or so back?

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, if it's the same he used for the last few years, it's a pretty cool stamp :

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Do you guys find there any lines in any of Prathcetts book which just floor you?

I've been reading Wintersmith and the one line with Tiffany's brother just cracks me up every time.

"Tiffy hit fish go bang."

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

boblemoche posted:

Yeah, if it's the same he used for the last few years, it's a pretty cool stamp :

There's shiny stickers now, what?

I want a shiny sticker.

Flipswitch posted:

Do you guys find there any lines in any of Prathcetts book which just floor you?

I've been reading Wintersmith and the one line with Tiffany's brother just cracks me up every time.

In Interesting Times, Rincewind has to deal with a bunch of sumo wrestlers.

"That man has a ham sandwich." *points*

"Oooaaaaa?"

"With mustard on it."

"Ooooaarrr!" *trundles increasingly towards putative sandwich*

With mustard on it gets me every single time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The footnote in I Shall Wear Midnight about the meanings of leg positions in equestrian statuary had me in stitches.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

The bit in Men at Arms where Carrot has a distinctly threatening/unthreatening conversation about the difference between an appointment and a morningstar kills me every time.

"An appointment is an engagement to see someone, while a morningstar is a large lump of metal used for viciously crushing skulls. It is important not to confuse the two."

In fact, that whole section of Men At Arms, from the visit to the armoury onwards is just so perfect it hurts.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Just learned two things about Orcs and Goblins.

Some people thought they came out of nowhere in Unseen Academicals and Snuff.

As it turns out, they were indeed mentioned far earlier in the series:

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Triple_Orcthrust_with_Extra_Flip

Orcs are considered deadly back in Sourcery, but clearly Pratchett didn't really feel the need to expand upon them as "deadly killing monsters" until now.

As for Goblins, the gross Gnolls are said to be a type of Goblin, and they've been around since the early Guards books.

I think it was because the references were so minor that people forgot them so their reappearance really did seem out of nowhere.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Mister Roboto posted:

Just learned two things about Orcs and Goblins.

Some people thought they came out of nowhere in Unseen Academicals and Snuff.

As it turns out, they were indeed mentioned far earlier in the series:

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Triple_Orcthrust_with_Extra_Flip

Orcs are considered deadly back in Sourcery, but clearly Pratchett didn't really feel the need to expand upon them as "deadly killing monsters" until now.

As for Goblins, the gross Gnolls are said to be a type of Goblin, and they've been around since the early Guards books.

I think it was because the references were so minor that people forgot them so their reappearance really did seem out of nowhere.

Even with that, they still came out of nowhere. I mean, if they were always ubiquitously feared like they were in Unseen Academicals, you'd think they'd have come up more often than the Necrotelecomnicon, for instance.

I'm not saying a bit of retconning and world building is a bad thing, and Nutt is my favorite new Discworld character since Moist, but Orcs and Goblins were more of a reference to general DnD-style fantasy and less explicit races until Unseen. Up until then you could make a really good argument for them not even existing, given how much Pratchett loves the whole cross-contamination of ideas across universes. That was actually one of my favorite things about the Lore of Discworld; he basically invents an in-universe reason for him using whatever references he wants in order to make a joke, ala Death's bone cycle.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Interview with Sir Pratchett where he talks about his health (:ohdear:), hints at some exciting casting news forthcoming for The Watch and probably more importantly, acknowledges plans for his daughter, Rhianna, to take over Discworld after his death. Apparently there's more of the interview in that week's New Statesman but I don't even live in the UK to find out. :argh:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

quote:

Pratchett's assistant of 12 years, Rob Wilkins, also reveals that earlier this month, the author suffered an atrial fibrillation in the back seat of a New York taxi. Were it not for emergency CPR, he would have died.

Jesus, poor Terry. Nature give the poor old bugger a break already :smith:.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

SeanBeansShako posted:

Jesus, poor Terry. Nature give the poor old bugger a break already :smith:.

Granny was all set to break Death's arm. :unsmith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I nominate whoever jumped in with the CPR for man or woman of the year.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Even with that, they still came out of nowhere. I mean, if they were always ubiquitously feared like they were in Unseen Academicals, you'd think they'd have come up more often than the Necrotelecomnicon, for instance.

I'm not saying a bit of retconning and world building is a bad thing, and Nutt is my favorite new Discworld character since Moist, but Orcs and Goblins were more of a reference to general DnD-style fantasy and less explicit races until Unseen. Up until then you could make a really good argument for them not even existing, given how much Pratchett loves the whole cross-contamination of ideas across universes. That was actually one of my favorite things about the Lore of Discworld; he basically invents an in-universe reason for him using whatever references he wants in order to make a joke, ala Death's bone cycle.

They live in small groups in isolated areas of the furthest parts of Uberwald. I don't think we've even seen those areas in the novels.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

Interview with Sir Pratchett where he talks about his health (:ohdear:), hints at some exciting casting news forthcoming for The Watch and probably more importantly, acknowledges plans for his daughter, Rhianna, to take over Discworld after his death. Apparently there's more of the interview in that week's New Statesman but I don't even live in the UK to find out. :argh:

I do wonder if there will be a lot of (terrible) people crying out over a woman being said to be future writer of the series?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Jesto posted:

Why would you try to make it into a misogynistic issue? People don't care about the sex of the person writing the story, they care about whether or not the person can accurately meet the expectations set by the style, tone and vision of the original author.

Has there been a single child of an author who has successfully written books for their parent's world to the expectations of the fans? Honest question, I can't tell.

If his daughter has written short stories set in Discworld before and released them I'd love to read them to see how closely it matches up with Terry's, or if she doesn't try to write in her father's shadow and writes Discworld stories differently.

Most of Pratchett's readers seem pretty chill and I don't think are as rabid as Wheel of Time/Dune etc. I think most of us would agree that some Discworld is better than no Discworld at all.

I'm not sure about any successful parent/child handovers but then again, I think it's hard for anyone to replace Pratchett.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Everyone's just agreed at this point to pretend that whats-'is-name writing that awful HHGTTG sequel never happened, right?

Jesto posted:

Why would you try to make it into a misogynistic issue?
Because people are dumb and will use gendered insults and misogynistic language whenever someone doing something they don't like happens to be female. Here's hoping the Discworld fandom is better than that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 15, 2012

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

withak posted:

I nominate whoever jumped in with the CPR for man or woman of the year.

According to the article, that would be his assistant.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

LooseChanj posted:

Order of the Igor.

Firtht Clathth

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LooseChanj posted:

Indeed, three cheers for Rob Wilkins who is one of the nicest people ever. :)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Willikins continues to surprise.

I got my copy of the short story collection - has anyone else had issues with the pages getting wavy?
Also, I never knew there was an ankh morpork national anthem until I read it. (And some sort of copyright mess preventing the ...legal... redistribution of it, I can't find details on the mess)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ika posted:

Willikins continues to surprise.

I got my copy of the short story collection - has anyone else had issues with the pages getting wavy?
Also, I never knew there was an ankh morpork national anthem until I read it. (And some sort of copyright mess preventing the ...legal... redistribution of it, I can't find details on the mess)

If you had read Night Watch (The best book in the series by the way) you'd even know a few lines of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ika posted:

I never knew there was an ankh morpork national anthem until I read it. (And some sort of copyright mess preventing the ...legal... redistribution of it, I can't find details on the mess)

There's no mess regarding redistribution of it, it's performances that are forbidden. The reason for that will probably be songwriter's royalties.