Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Went to swap the rear brake pads on mine for the first time, found out the PO or his mechanic tightened both the little screw that covers the allen bolt that mounts through the pads and the allen bolt itself so tight that the screw was wrecked when I managed to get it out, and the allen bolt rounded.

I'm debating 1. JB Weld+one-time-use sacrificial allen wrench or 2. using a clip to stop off the brake line just above the caliper, taking off the caliper entirely, and carefully draining the rest of the brake fluid, taking it to a shop to get drilled out, then dealing with bleeding it after. I think I'd prefer to do 1. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm a shorter guy and the bikes I have been more comfortable touching the ground are closer to 30 inches.
Does anyone have the corbin seat on their SV650, and how much of a difference does it make?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

An inch lower

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Nur_Neerg posted:

Went to swap the rear brake pads on mine for the first time, found out the PO or his mechanic tightened both the little screw that covers the allen bolt that mounts through the pads and the allen bolt itself so tight that the screw was wrecked when I managed to get it out, and the allen bolt rounded.

I'm debating 1. JB Weld+one-time-use sacrificial allen wrench or 2. using a clip to stop off the brake line just above the caliper, taking off the caliper entirely, and carefully draining the rest of the brake fluid, taking it to a shop to get drilled out, then dealing with bleeding it after. I think I'd prefer to do 1. Any thoughts?

Allen wrenches are cheap. Let him die a noble death, defending the honor of the internal hex head.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Any Vancouver/BC goons have an idea of what a reasonable price would be for 2003 SV650s with 43500KM which needs new tires and a chain?

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

I'm a shorter guy and the bikes I have been more comfortable touching the ground are closer to 30 inches.
Does anyone have the corbin seat on their SV650, and how much of a difference does it make?

The sargent seat will also lower you a little bit due to a narrower profile close to the tank, though the padding is also somewhat slim there.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Horn question! Noticed the other day that mine wasn't working, and on inspection the wires are sheared right at the connection to the leads, inside the plastic cover where they hook up to the horn. Does anybody know where I can find replacement wiring for the horn, and would it be a difficult DIY job?

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Grimes posted:

Any Vancouver/BC goons have an idea of what a reasonable price would be for 2003 SV650s with 43500KM which needs new tires and a chain?

For what it's worth, I sold my 2004 SV650S back in March for $2800, and it probably needed those. (Also a Vancouver goon). The 2003's are somewhat less desirable as they have a bunch of parts that are unique solely to the 03's, whereas 04 on was all the same stuff.

Granted, I was probably a bit more aggressive than I needed to be with my price, as I had just bought my Gixxer and didn't want to have 2 bikes sitting around.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Need a small windscreen for my SV650N that won't gently caress with the lines and will keep the wind off my chest

Ideas?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

primitive posted:

Need a small windscreen for my SV650N that won't gently caress with the lines and will keep the wind off my chest

Ideas?

http://www.laminarlip.com/sv.php

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
So even with "decent" bar end mirrors, I have discovered these things are the worst. It's a naked bike with crg clip ons and a gixxer master so adding tuono style mirrors might be an issue.

What do you guys do?

My last resort is swapping to bars (still have my kit from my other SV) but I really don't want to gently caress with that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Napoleons, or finding a random set of mirror mounts that will work.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

How do I replace the throttle cables on an SV? Do I have to remove the throttle bodies?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

TeamIce posted:

For what it's worth, I sold my 2004 SV650S back in March for $2800, and it probably needed those. (Also a Vancouver goon). The 2003's are somewhat less desirable as they have a bunch of parts that are unique solely to the 03's, whereas 04 on was all the same stuff.

Granted, I was probably a bit more aggressive than I needed to be with my price, as I had just bought my Gixxer and didn't want to have 2 bikes sitting around.
Thanks for the info. I'll try $2500 and see if anyone bites. How long was yours listed?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you really need a special diagnostic tool to sync the throttle bodies on an SV?

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Grimes posted:

Thanks for the info. I'll try $2500 and see if anyone bites. How long was yours listed?

Like 2 weeks-ish. I probably could have got 3-3.1k but I was just lazy and wanted it gone, and didn't feel like dealing with a parade of Craigslist idiots.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Napoleons, or finding a random set of mirror mounts that will work.

I can't seem to find a vendor for these but they look pretty great. My garage parking situation is pretty tight and isn't helped by bar end mirrors but that should change when I sell my Volvo and pick up an ND Miata.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

I've got an 04, that one doesn't seem to be compatible?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
For anyone else annoyed that the selection of oil filters for their SV is garbage and overpriced, I present to you a filter adaptor that changes your bike from the proprietary 20x1mm Suzuki threading to the vastly more common 20x1.5mm threading:
http://balestech.com/filter.htm

Ordered one last week, showed up this weekend, was only $23 including the extractor bit and shipping, so it will quickly pay for itself now that I can grab $6 Purolator Pure-One filters from Autozone (or $2 Supertechs at Walmart) instead of having to mail order $12 K&N or Emgo or Suzuki branded Chinese filters:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html (can now use any filters from section [5] on that page).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doesn't the sv already take a common car oil filter? I buy my filters at Oreilly auto

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Doesn't the sv already take a common car oil filter? I buy my filters at Oreilly auto

Nope, I checked NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto, and O'Reillys and none of the ones close to me had in stock any of the filters that an SV650 takes. It's a unicorn threading, nobody except Suzuki uses 20x1mm threads on their filters. You can get 20x1.5mm threaded filters everywhere since Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha and half the car makers out there use it as their standard threading for oil filters these days.

Also all the filters that are compatible with the stock filter threading suck:

Those are all cheap paper/cardboard filters, made in china, have cheap shoddily designed anti-drainback and/or bypass valves, or any combination of the above. I've always stuck to Pure-One filters as they have some of the best particulate filtering ratings on the market and have the best designs for the relief valve and anti-drainback valve. I was annoyed at being unable to find them or any other good filters (Mobil 1) that fit an SV650 untl I stumbled across that site I linked above showing the filters available to a bunch of bikes and noting that Suzuki has to be a special snowflake with their filter threading.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I just run a wix from oreillys, RIP my engine I guess

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, I just run a wix from oreillys, RIP my engine I guess

For I've noticed goons for some reason are strangely attached to Wix filters, from the cutaways I've seen of them, they're not really much of an improvement over Fram. :shrug:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just spend like 5 bucks more on an OEM filter? Seems very penny wise / pound foolish here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm not attached, it's just what Oreillys has in sv size

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

Just spend like 5 bucks more on an OEM filter? Seems very penny wise / pound foolish here.

The OEM filters aren't particularly special - they're basically about the same as a Fram except with silicone anti-drainback valve instead of a nitrile one, and not having cardboard end caps. For $6 I'd rather get the known good Pure-One filter vs. the $10-13 OEM filter any day.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm 6'2", 74" reach, My inseam is I think 33 or 34, and I have big ole size 12 feet.

Is a SV650 going to need much changing in the way of rearsets or handlebar risers to be comfortable? I'm on a Ninja300 right now and it's okay for commuting or some fun, but not for long rides, and cycle-ergo has the SV650 as essentially the same as my current bike - slightly straighter hips but a more bent knee.

I'm almost thinking I should just step up to a v-strom but sv650s just seem so drat awesome.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Space Whale posted:

I'm 6'2", 74" reach, My inseam is I think 33 or 34, and I have big ole size 12 feet.

Is a SV650 going to need much changing in the way of rearsets or handlebar risers to be comfortable? I'm on a Ninja300 right now and it's okay for commuting or some fun, but not for long rides, and cycle-ergo has the SV650 as essentially the same as my current bike - slightly straighter hips but a more bent knee.

I'm almost thinking I should just step up to a v-strom but sv650s just seem so drat awesome.

I'm just about as big as you, 33" inseam, but the rest matches. SV650S was my first bike and I fit fine. Looked a bit like a lollipop, but that's another story.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm an inch taller than you and the sv fits me fine, same measurements as you otherwise

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015
Has anyone been on the new '17 SV650 for a decent amount of time that's very familiar with the second generation SV650? I've read reviews, just looking for goonpinions.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Quick question: will the woodcraft bar end sliders that say they fit 5/8" inner diameter bars fit the stock second gen SV650S clipons?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Space Whale posted:

My measurements are identical to yours and I've had no problems with foot positioning or bars or posture. After about 2 hours of continuous riding, I start wishing the pegs were a little lower to make it easier on my knees, but it's still quite tolerable and that's about the only complaint I've ever had. I don't have any joint issues but I'm old (38) so that may be a factor. Mine's a first gen naked for what it's worth.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Looks like I need a new front master cylinder.

Whats the hotness nowadays? The radial on the bike is from a GSXR I think and it pulls all the way to the bar, despite good pads and a fresh bleed.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

GSXR MCs had a massive recall, could be what's causing it. The 06+ R6 MC is a great oem replacement, I've got one for mine.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

M42 posted:

GSXR MCs had a massive recall, could be what's causing it. The 06+ R6 MC is a great oem replacement, I've got one for mine.

Cool. Looks like about 110 to 150 on eBay for one. Also probably going to swap to bars rather than these CRG clip ons and probably lower the rear sets too. Maybe a little later in the fall. I fricken hate bar end mirrors.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, it's cheaper than brembo MCs, which are the only thing I (with admittedly low knowledge of aftermarket MCs) know of. I'm actually replacing the clipons on my SV too, since I have the trackbike now! Probably going with renthal low mediums. Barends loving suck for sure.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MetaJew posted:

Quick question: will the woodcraft bar end sliders that say they fit 5/8" inner diameter bars fit the stock second gen SV650S clipons?

Anyone?

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
I'm coming up on 17k miles so I figured I'd try to take a look at the valves. Is there anything special I should know going into it? Im hoping they don't need adjusting cause that looks like a pain

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

brotastrophe posted:

I'm coming up on 17k miles so I figured I'd try to take a look at the valves. Is there anything special I should know going into it? Im hoping they don't need adjusting cause that looks like a pain

Wondering the same thing because mine is at 16k and rising. What say ye sv650-havers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tripled, 18k and haven't done one myself. I wish the pics in my manual were less fuckin grainy.

• Locked thread