Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Dad died on the first day of my last semester. Yeeeeeeah there goes my GPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Wow, sorry to hear that.

B-Mac posted:

God bless you post 9/11 gi Bill. No idea what this student debt people at work talk about is.

Yeah, post 9/11 GI Bill is the poo poo.

Speaking of the poo poo, I just started my new job up in Denver. Anyone up this way? This will be my second job in Nursing Informatics, and if anyone has any questions about the field I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Denver is blowing up as much as Portland is I hear.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Denver is blowing up as much as Portland is I hear.

for real, anywhere within the area of denver/colo springs/fort collins. My buddy wants me to move up here and will send me weekly e-mails of nursing management/admin jobs, so I can only imagine that entry level nursing is good too. Plus I think they built a new VA center and it recently opened, so I'm sure they're still trying to recruit staff for that.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Jamais Vu Again posted:

So sorry to hear about that. I know its not the same, but my dog died on the first day of me returning to school a few years ago and it was rough. Our current dog will surprise me if she makes it through the year, which will be really tough as well, so fingers crossed she can keep it together until 2017!

So is Portland still terrible for new grads or no? I'd heard it was, but we would absolutely love to end up there. My plan is to probably get a job in AZ where we live after my program and then move once I have some experience not killing everyone I look at in a clinical manner.

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 17, 2017

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Ask if you could bring him in for extra credit.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

^^ You've obviously never had anyone close to you die.

Kickshaw posted:

So I'm 27, hate my job,...

On the other hand, a CNA will also let you see if it is something that you even want to do without putting a lot of cash into it. With that said, I would not do that; I would just shadow a bunch to see exactly what the gently caress it is you will be doing and then just find an RN program an a community college or hospital program. Hospitals will pay for you to complete your BSN once you start working. You could start taking prereq classes, but it sounds more like you might benefit from more exposure to the field.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
First exam for nursing school and I got a nursing school B (at least I think, unless they throw out a question or two). Pretty happy with that, I dont know of anyone who got an A. It was all theory and communication stuff, so hopefully when we get in to the science and other stuff I'll be able to score a bit higher. Pharmacology on Wednesday, and lab at 7am the day after, it's certainly starting to ramp up!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

^^ You've obviously never had anyone close to you die.

On the other hand, a CNA will also let you see if it is something that you even want to do without putting a lot of cash into it. With that said, I would not do that; I would just shadow a bunch to see exactly what the gently caress it is you will be doing and then just find an RN program an a community college or hospital program. Hospitals will pay for you to complete your BSN once you start working. You could start taking prereq classes, but it sounds more like you might benefit from more exposure to the field.

On the other other hand, the hospital in my area pays CNAs to get their RN and gives them a job after, but it's through a rather competetive program and it's a who's who of who you know. There's also tuition assistance offered to all employees (housekeeping, food services, everyone) to get prereqs done. It's a yearly limit and covers about 60% of the RN program tuition, so it's good free money. They pay for the BSN too. They're great in that regard.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

On the other other hand, the hospital in my area pays CNAs to get their RN and gives them a job after, but it's through a rather competetive program and it's a who's who of who you know. There's also tuition assistance offered to all employees (housekeeping, food services, everyone) to get prereqs done. It's a yearly limit and covers about 60% of the RN program tuition, so it's good free money. They pay for the BSN too. They're great in that regard.

My fiance has been a CNA/CMA at the same nursing home for just over 11 years now. He's been looking to advance, though still narrowing down want he wants for this next phase of his life. (He tends to sway between going to school full-time to get his RN, or taking just a few courses and getting either his Medical Assisting w/Phlebotomy Cert, or his Pharmacy Tech Cert). I see how exhausted he is every day, and think that is his hang-up about pursuing an RN, and why the Med Asst or Pharmacy Tech are appealing for a 'change of pace'. I'll tell him if he does want to go after his RN, that he needs to look at local hospitals around here to see what type of tuition assistance/reimbursement they offer, and possibly try getting on board with them to take advantage of whatever they may offer.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Madbullogna posted:

My fiance has been a CNA/CMA at the same nursing home for just over 11 years now. He's been looking to advance, though still narrowing down want he wants for this next phase of his life. (He tends to sway between going to school full-time to get his RN, or taking just a few courses and getting either his Medical Assisting w/Phlebotomy Cert, or his Pharmacy Tech Cert). I see how exhausted he is every day, and think that is his hang-up about pursuing an RN, and why the Med Asst or Pharmacy Tech are appealing for a 'change of pace'. I'll tell him if he does want to go after his RN, that he needs to look at local hospitals around here to see what type of tuition assistance/reimbursement they offer, and possibly try getting on board with them to take advantage of whatever they may offer.

Definitely! My hospital system has hired CNAs from nursing homes who have only a couple years of experience. The thing is that they'll only hire those who have the actual CNA certification. Some nursing home "CNAs" aren't really certified.

Another thing specific to my place that might apply to others is that the hiring managers will usually wait for a phone call from the applicant before looking into hiring them. It's good for nepotism because nobody who doesn't work at the hospital knows this. So if you know anyone who works where he wants to go, try getting in touch.

Hospitals pay their CNAs more and the work is usually easier. And it will be a step towards upward mobility rather than a dead end sidegrade like becoming a pharm tech would be. Going from CNA to nurse is a lot simpler than going from pharm tech to pharmacist.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

20-something days left in my RN program and I haven't started preceptorship! Can I panic yet?

On the other hand, I have one job offer of nights on a stepdown unit and probably another one days on an ortho floor. I'm inclined to accept the stepdown one because it's more broad and a 1:3 ratio, but I am the most morning person that has ever existed. Anyone have insight on how to deal with nights? My eventual goal is to be a fnp with an ortho specialty, but I'd also like to have a general knowledge on other nursing topics too.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Koala Food posted:

20-something days left in my RN program and I haven't started preceptorship! Can I panic yet?

On the other hand, I have one job offer of nights on a stepdown unit and probably another one days on an ortho floor. I'm inclined to accept the stepdown one because it's more broad and a 1:3 ratio, but I am the most morning person that has ever existed. Anyone have insight on how to deal with nights? My eventual goal is to be a fnp with an ortho specialty, but I'd also like to have a general knowledge on other nursing topics too.

I work night ems but I can sleep then(love it), however you will just need to reset your internal clock to work nights. It will suck for a while then you will get over it. Think of it like extended jet lag because you just moved 12 time zones away.

Also if you want ortho do it. See if you can float to ortho from the step down unit or vice versa if you want that experience. I did two semester of adult health in the orthopedics(recovery) unit and it is very much its own thing. I liked it and I liked knowing it but it wasn't for me. Too slowly paced, and all hips an knees except for the sometimes mva traumas we would get.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Koala Food posted:

I'm also a morning person, but I adjusted beautifully to nights. You definitely have to be able to sleep well during the day, so blackout curtains are needed as well as a lack of daytime obligations. The only thing I really kind of miss is that pretty serenity of sunny mornings. You can technically appreciate them on your way home from work, but they don't feel the same. :)

Fingolfin
Jan 30, 2006
insert optional text here
Can anyone recommend a good nursing podcast? Long story short I had to pull out of uni for a semester for back surgery which is fixed now, but I don't go back to uni until July so I have nothing to study. I want to keep my brain active but I'm probably not just gonna pick up text book and just read.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Fingolfin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good nursing podcast? Long story short I had to pull out of uni for a semester for back surgery which is fixed now, but I don't go back to uni until July so I have nothing to study. I want to keep my brain active but I'm probably not just gonna pick up text book and just read.

I don't know any good podcasts, but it might be helpful to get some NCLEX study guides and start working on questions. I had a couple on my Kindle, and I would just run through them when I had time.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Not nursing per se, but the Best Science Podcast is good if you want to dig into meds.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Anyone have any info on community/public health DNP programs? They just started one here at NMSU, it looks like a nursing specific type of public health degree with no real advanced skills of a nurse practitioner... Can't prescribe and can't really do any assessment procedures... I am probably going to drop this PhD program because the program here sucks.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

MurderBot posted:

Anyone have any info on community/public health DNP programs? They just started one here at NMSU, it looks like a nursing specific type of public health degree with no real advanced skills of a nurse practitioner... Can't prescribe and can't really do any assessment procedures... I am probably going to drop this PhD program because the program here sucks.

Do you want to be an NP or do you want to be a public health nurse?... The two I've been looking at are Frontier(because online) and University of San Diego because I want to settle down there.

Unrelated but does anyone know of a short program to get certified as EKG or phlebotomist? I'm talking like a long weekend. I live in the NYC metro area if that helps.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

In the long term I just want to teach, thus the entire reason behind getting a doctorate. That being said, I'm open to the idea of nurse practitioner or just jumping straight into teaching/research, I suppose I just want to figure out which is the best pathway initially.

I should know better to look at a nurse practitioner degree that doesn't have medication prescription privileges.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Don't get a doctorate until you get hired at a university. They pay that poo poo.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Also be advised teaching usually pays very little.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Roki B posted:

Also be advised teaching usually pays very little.

You should supplement by a)dancing on the side or b)becoming a rogue street pharmacist

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I don't teach besides precepting. I love money and overtime. Did six days with a double back on the last one. $$$$$

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Average pay for Public health professors at a public university is between 75k-100k depending on tenure and whatnot, and some governmental organizations pay up to the GS-13 level or around ~100-130k

I may look at the DNP route.. It seriously seems like the best pathway towards a life that isn't filled with "meh" pay and good hours.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Failed my first test! After getting 100% on the last one. Nursing programs are a trip!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Iron Lung posted:

Failed my first test! After getting 100% on the last one. Nursing programs are a trip!

They are run by nurses. Nurses are dumb. Just remember that and you'll feel a bit better.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Bum the Sad posted:

They are run by nurses. Nurses are dumb. Just remember that and you'll feel a bit better.

Empty quote dis forever.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Eh, I'm not too upset about it. It's a bummer because it means I can only miss like 11 points for the rest of the semester, and its a 5 credit class so an A would be nice. But my teacher literally told me at the start of the year that C's get degrees so *shrug*. Hopefully the same goes for jobs... I was able to narrow most of the ones I got wrong down to the two most correct but just kept making bad calls. Thank god after I finish this care plan this morning for LTC I'm officially on spring break!

Plus side of nursing school: getting diagnosed (well nursing diagnosed) with a sinus arrhythmia. Excited to get an EKG next week! I'm actually having a great time over all, just a bummer about that test.

Edit: if i'm trying to be a nurse am I dumb? are we all dumb? I should have become a dog-walker or something.

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 5, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
No one looking at resumes are looking at your gpa. Only matters for grad school.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I'm hoping by the time I want to do that, if that ever happens, I'll have enough experience for it to not matter. And I'm sure I'll end up with a 3.0 or higher - I'm pretty sure a 4.0 won't happen, which like you said, is fine.

Anyone have useful sites for nclex like stuff to practice with? That's basically how our tests are for this class. I have the Saunder's review book which is really helpful already. I think the problem is our teacher makes up her own questions so there's always going to be some bias towards what she thinks is the best vs what the Nclex board comes up with.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

I think the problem is our teacher makes up her own questions so there's always going to be some bias towards what she thinks is the best vs what the Nclex board comes up with.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Iron Lung posted:

I'm hoping by the time I want to do that, if that ever happens, I'll have enough experience for it to not matter. And I'm sure I'll end up with a 3.0 or higher - I'm pretty sure a 4.0 won't happen, which like you said, is fine.

Anyone have useful sites for nclex like stuff to practice with? That's basically how our tests are for this class. I have the Saunder's review book which is really helpful already. I think the problem is our teacher makes up her own questions so there's always going to be some bias towards what she thinks is the best vs what the Nclex board comes up with.

I live and die by NCLEX-RN Questions and Answers Made Incredibly Easy (Nclexrn Questions & Answers Made Incredibly Easy) Sixth Edition for generally everything and pediatric success for peds, obstetric success for OB specifically.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Iron Lung posted:

Edit: if i'm trying to be a nurse am I dumb? are we all dumb? I should have become a dog-walker or something.
As a dog walker you'd probably see less poop but just think of the bonuses; all the pens and teabags you can steal, year round.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I have my first interview for CRNA school in two weeks and it's stressing me out alot more than any RN interview I've had. A few months ago I switched from MICU to CVICU and I'm kind of worried about the clinical-based part of the interview. I feel super comfortable taking care of all the CVICU patients I see on a daily basis but since I'm still pretty new I'm nervous about being able to regurgitate any and all info they might grill me on.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

White Chocolate posted:

I live and die by NCLEX-RN Questions and Answers Made Incredibly Easy (Nclexrn Questions & Answers Made Incredibly Easy) Sixth Edition for generally everything and pediatric success for peds, obstetric success for OB specifically.

Awesome, I'll check this out. Thanks!

Nine of Eight posted:

As a dog walker you'd probably see less poop but just think of the bonuses; all the pens and teabags you can steal, year round.

I do love tea. A lot. Plus I have family in San Diego now, and it's always dog-walkin' season there!

While we're talking about grad school, what do NP programs usually look for? High 3s? Good luck with your interview Dirp!

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
First day of MICU clinical today.

Everything hurts and I'm dead. Holy loving poo poo.

I got paired with a really great nurse though. I'm excited to go back tomorrow.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

apathetic JAP posted:

First day of MICU clinical today.

Everything hurts and I'm dead. Holy loving poo poo.

I got paired with a really great nurse though. I'm excited to go back tomorrow.

This was my Monday. Same reaction :)

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Lung posted:

Awesome, I'll check this out. Thanks!

I do love tea. A lot. Plus I have family in San Diego now, and it's always dog-walkin' season there!

While we're talking about grad school, what do NP programs usually look for? High 3s? Good luck with your interview Dirp!

Most NP schools that I looked at either wanted a 2.7 or better, or a certain score on the GRE. I went with Frontier, which didn't require the GRE. I've been pretty happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know any good resources for psych nursing? I've got an upcoming clinical placement at a mental health facility, and our teacher is terrible.