Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Dravs posted:

E-mail your boss with an official note of resignation and a suggested final date. CC in HR. Why have you not done this the day you wanted to resign? I guess if you really loved your boss and wanted to let them know to their face you would wait for them to get back, however then you wouldn't be posting about it in this thread.

My direct boss is kind of awesome and goes to bat for me a lot, so I did want to let her know in person. Almost everyone else there is pretty awful, including her boss. It's a weird situation so I wouldn't be contacting HR anyway. I'll post a proper rant later when I'm done working there.

She was there today though, so I gave her my notice. She said she completely understood, then offered to give me a reference if/when I need one, which was nice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Crowley posted:

Not to mention that the question is easily answered by reversing it. ask "How can we lower morale?" and then do the opposite.

..at least that worked for me when I was a manager.

That's awesome. Not on the same level but when a report asked me "why do you think it's so important that I do xyz work" I said "Let me reverse that and ask you this: Why do you think it's so UNimportant for you to do xyz work?" It was tough for them to argue back.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Well, I started my new job Monday.

Today I was advised by a couple of my co-workers that one of the unwritten requirements for keeping my job there is that I work 5-10 hours unpaid overtime each week.

:bang:

Just once I'd like to get a job where the boss at least TRIES to obey the law....

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You should recalculate your hourly earnings based on the expectation of working those extra ten hours a week and then see if that job is still worth it. What's the position?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Taliesyn posted:

Well, I started my new job Monday.

Today I was advised by a couple of my co-workers that one of the unwritten requirements for keeping my job there is that I work 5-10 hours unpaid overtime each week.

:bang:

Just once I'd like to get a job where the boss at least TRIES to obey the law....

Remember that you can usually make anonymous claims to your state labor board. If everyone has to do it, then it will be hard to pinpoint who reported, right?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
redacted

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 25, 2013

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
How do you guys swallow your pride when dealing with extremely passive aggressive/outright hostile people at work?

Our biggest supplier employs Janet, the most irrational, condescending, petty person I have ever encountered in my life. We have a standing order from our boss and her boss to never engage with her when she sends abusive emails. She has been in the business for 30 years so she is quick to point out when you've done something wrong - only she usually has no idea what she's talking about and goes off at you over things she has misinterpreted or doesn't understand properly. Oh yeah, and she's married to the boss, which is why she still works there. He fired her 10 years ago and she sued him to get her job back. This is 100% true, I looked up the court case.

Janet mainly handles the accounts, so our finance manager gets to deal with her on a daily basis. She regularly accuses him of being too lazy or incompetent to do his job properly and copies in our boss on emails where she points out apparent errors in payments (which are usually errors in her bookkeeping).

When other staff members are away, she does their jobs too. Sometimes she takes over operations/logistics, which means she deals with my coworker Laura. Maybe it's because Laura is Chinese and Janet is super racist, but she immediately took a dislike to her. The same sort of insults our finance manager got, but 10x more frequent - lazy, stupid, inconsiderate, rude, etc etc. It makes me uncomfortable to read the emails, let alone be on the receiving end:

"Laura, as |I am not nearly as clever as you SPELL OUT WHAT YOU Want. I am not scournging around booking nun=mbers. You obviously have more time than I do."

"Laura, please send the bag marking you require. I am doing three jobs late into every night. I am not scratching around previous filed away orders for something you are too lazy to send me."

"I don’t need to be told to go and learn things – I was shipping before you were born – you are a rude offensive little miss."

"Do your own work and leave us to do ours. You would get better cooperation from here is you minded your own business and stopped telling everyone how to do everything.
You see, people who think they know everything, upset those of us who do."

And my favourite:

"Laura, please be good enough to mention the product name next to your booking number. I am trying to train new staff and if you are too lazy to do that, it means we have to run around looking up contract numbers. We are not going to do that, it is too time consuming.
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it."
:downs:

Anyway this post came about because I got an email from her for the first time. She told me I was "being a pain" for asking for clarification on something another staff member sent to me that contradicted a previous email and told me I should just get on with my job instead of wasting their time. It didn't even involve her but she had to jump in with her thoughts, and copy it in to every staff member at both companies.

I was so tempted to reply with one of the above chunks of text but in the end I didn't reply at all. It's really tough to be the "bigger person": she's a bully, and not standing up to her just seems to make her worse. But replying won't accomplish anything either. She'll never admit she's wrong and she'll never change. Since she works for a different company I don't even think I could make a formal complaint of workplace harassment - even if I could, I doubt anyone else would be willing to complain as well, and only one (quite mild by her standards) email is hardly enough to get her fired.

Writing this up helped a bit. It's just extremely frustrating to know that a person like this can get away with everything short of showing up to your office and spitting in your face with absolutely zero consequences.

naptalan fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 18, 2013

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Thankfully the only people I deal with who are THIS toxic and retarded are customers.

How much latitude do you have? Ideally you would create a filter to move any email from her directly into the trash, and work around her. Ask other people for the information you'd normally get from her. As described, it doesn't sound like you'd be missing anything mission-critical.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

naptalan posted:

Since she works for a different company I don't even think I could make a formal complaint of workplace harassment - even if I could, I doubt anyone else would be willing to complain as well, and only one (quite mild by her standards) email is hardly enough to get her fired.

Writing this up helped a bit. It's just extremely frustrating to know that a person like this can get away with everything short of showing up to your office and spitting in your face with absolutely zero consequences.

An employer's obligation to respond to harassment against a protected class (e.g., sexually harassing behavior, harassment because of race, etc.) extends to customers and vendors that employees have to work with as well, not just the employer's own workers. An employer can be held vicariously liable for illegal harassment if an employee makes it known that, for instance, a given client always makes offensive sexual comments to him or her, yet the employer does nothing.

Though that said, simply being an rear end in a top hat isn't illegal. If Janet had been writing racially charged emails to Laura, that's one thing, but sniping and correcting her work isn't illegal harassment by itself.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

:stare:
You win this thread.

An email filter sounds about right, does she ever give a reply that is even close to the answer asked or is she just shouting like a psychopath? Other question, a husband tried to fire his wife and she sued him for her job? How are they still married / is she not in a shallow grave?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

martyrdumb posted:

How much latitude do you have? Ideally you would create a filter to move any email from her directly into the trash, and work around her. Ask other people for the information you'd normally get from her. As described, it doesn't sound like you'd be missing anything mission-critical.

Unfortunately she never emails from her own address; it's always other people in the company. She doesn't even sign her messages half the time. I guess I could just set up a filter for all her favourite insults...

ibntumart posted:

Though that said, simply being an rear end in a top hat isn't illegal. If Janet had been writing racially charged emails to Laura, that's one thing, but sniping and correcting her work isn't illegal harassment by itself.

Yeah, the harassment thing is more just wishful thinking on my part. :v: From reading about workplace bullying, if it's even applicable in this situation, the best outcome is to get an "improvement notice" issued? It seems a bit vague on what the outcome of a complaint actually is, or what happens if the notice is ignored.

For a bit of additional background, every time something like this happens we notify our boss, who speaks to Janet's boss. I don't know what happens after that but Janet's boss is always very apologetic. I'm sure he has it just as bad at home, poor guy. :(

And as to how they're still married: I don't know! They don't have kids, but they do own a lot of property together. Maybe he's just praying he outlives her.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

naptalan posted:

Unfortunately she never emails from her own address; it's always other people in the company. She doesn't even sign her messages half the time. I guess I could just set up a filter for all her favourite insults...

This is awesome for the people working there. You can write the most insane bullshit to your client/vendor and then later claim Janet did it, who will not be confronted.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

You should recalculate your hourly earnings based on the expectation of working those extra ten hours a week and then see if that job is still worth it. What's the position?

Oh, I'm one of many data analysts.

If you calculate in those 10 free hours per week, the pay is...low. In fact, 50 hours (with OT pay) at the old job I left comes to within $5/week of my pay for 40 hours at the new job, even though the new job pays nearly 50% more per hour. (Yes, I know those mathematically-inclined will figure out more or less what my pay is - c'est la vie.)

As to what I can do, until I'm actually asked to do it, I'm not going to do anything. Hearsay from coworkers is not the same as it actually happening. I'm just a little concerned because in my interview, my new boss did make a point of pointing out that while the company doesn't allow overtime, I am still expected to stay over a few minutes if it means getting my work done. (No, I don't mind donating a few minutes here or there.) Looking back now that I've heard this, it definitely makes me think.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Taliesyn posted:

Oh, I'm one of many data analysts.

If you calculate in those 10 free hours per week, the pay is...low. In fact, 50 hours (with OT pay) at the old job I left comes to within $5/week of my pay for 40 hours at the new job, even though the new job pays nearly 50% more per hour. (Yes, I know those mathematically-inclined will figure out more or less what my pay is - c'est la vie.)

As to what I can do, until I'm actually asked to do it, I'm not going to do anything. Hearsay from coworkers is not the same as it actually happening. I'm just a little concerned because in my interview, my new boss did make a point of pointing out that while the company doesn't allow overtime, I am still expected to stay over a few minutes if it means getting my work done. (No, I don't mind donating a few minutes here or there.) Looking back now that I've heard this, it definitely makes me think.

Only stupid (and salaried) people work off the clock. Assuming you're hourly, don't punch out until the day is done. Period.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
If it's unpaid then it's probably not on your timecard so who's even going to keep track? We're also expected to do unpaid OT but I only do it when there's a major deadline and my rear end would get hammered from all levels of management if it wasn't met. No one's given me any poo poo about it yet.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Harry posted:

I've always found it funny that everyone has had a back injury but nobody believes anyone who says they have one.

That's because a lot of people lie about it, so project their guilt onto others.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

naptalan posted:

Frame her.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

naptalan posted:

It's just extremely frustrating to know that a person like this can get away with everything short of showing up to your office and spitting in your face with absolutely zero consequences.

How important is the relationship with this supplier to your company? And how important are you to them? Is Janet's boss/husband the owner of this company or just a middle manager? If they're your supplier, then you guys are their customer; seems like this could be solved by having your VP of Choosing Who We Give Our Money To call up their VP of Please Buy Our Stuff and say "Hey, your representative is being a total rear end in a top hat to our employees, this is unacceptable, we want her taken off our account and we never want to speak with her again, or else we're going to go buy our widgets elsewhere."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If it's unpaid then it's probably not on your timecard so who's even going to keep track? We're also expected to do unpaid OT but I only do it when there's a major deadline and my rear end would get hammered from all levels of management if it wasn't met. No one's given me any poo poo about it yet.

You keep track. Dates and times and report it to the state labor board. Sure, in most states they can require you to work as long as they want, but unless you're exempt from overtime laws, they are mandated to pay you.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Oh, I'm going to keep track, and if it actually happens the way I've been warned, the labor board will hear about it, not that I really expect them to do anything. The Michigan Labor board isn't exactly friendly to laborers.

That said, I really don't have a problem donating a few minutes here and there, like if I'm just finishing something up for the day and run over a little bit. My issue is when a few minutes turns into hours.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Taliesyn posted:

Oh, I'm going to keep track, and if it actually happens the way I've been warned, the labor board will hear about it, not that I really expect them to do anything. The Michigan Labor board isn't exactly friendly to laborers.

That said, I really don't have a problem donating a few minutes here and there, like if I'm just finishing something up for the day and run over a little bit. My issue is when a few minutes turns into hours.

Never, never, NEVER work for free! Seriously, it is bad for you, it is bad for the rest of your team, and it presents a false picture to management of what an hourly employee can reasonably complete in a workday. Keep track of how long you worked and get paid for it. Even if it's just a few minutes, that's a tenth of an hour. Never give your time away for free.

Unless you are a salaried employee, in which case the company owns your rear end anyway.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Taliesyn posted:

Why would you even "donate" a few minutes? This isn't a charity you are volunteering for, it's a for-profit business. You work, you're on the clock and you get paid. Don't give them any work for free.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Taliesyn posted:

If you give them a few minutes, it will turn into hours. I had a similar problem a few years ago that started when we got last minute contracts for the weekend. I mean I was told at quitting time on Friday that I needed to be in bright and early Saturday. I said that I had some plans I'd rather not break, but was cajoled into breaking them. And now I have to schedule everything months in advance so I can be sure they know about it. And they still ask me to break my plans anyways.

Seriously, like the other folks said, your company will bleed you white and not think twice about it if you give them the chance.

ItalicSquirrels fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 19, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I don't know about you guys, but this is one of the biggest annoyances I have on any given day:

To clarify, its a picture embedded in a word doc. We have a little feature that allows you to upload directly from your clipboard that a lot of people don't get.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 19, 2013

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ItalicSquirrels posted:

If you give them a few minutes, it will turn into hours. I had a similar problem a few years ago that started when we got last minute contracts for the weekend. I mean I was told at quitting time on Friday that I needed to be in bright and early Saturday. I said that I had some plans I'd rather not break, but was cajoled into breaking them. And now I have to schedule everything months in advance so I can be sure they know about it. And they still ask me to break my plans anyways.

Seriously, like the other folks said, your company will bleed you white and not think twice about it if you give them the chance.

Yep. The answer is almost always 'no', especially if you're an exempt employee. At least at larger companies, saying yes has no benefit in my experience. You don't get promotion preference / better raises / whatever, you just get more work.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Shadowhand00 posted:

I don't know about you guys, but this is one of the biggest annoyances I have on any given day:

To clarify, its a picture embedded in a word doc. We have a little feature that allows you to upload directly from your clipboard that a lot of people don't get.

I love when people take this a step further, and send multiple Word docs with one screenshot each. It makes my head hurt.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

ObsidianBeast posted:

I love when people take this a step further, and send multiple Word docs with one screenshot each. It makes my head hurt.
Multiple word docs containing lists of links.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

In two decades working in offices, there are several lessons I've learned:

1) The bosses WILL notice and remember who cuts and runs at 5:00, and who is willing to work a little later if it means finishing your work.
2) When you bill the company for that extra two minutes you worked Monday, you give the impression of being an incredibly greedy bastard. (Unless, I suppose, 2 minutes comes to something more than pocket change. In my case, 2 minutes is 60 cents. Over a year, that comes to a bit over $30. I could save more by switching to cheaper toilet paper or eating out a couple times less per year.)
3) In a no-overtime environment, consistently charging overtime will get your rear end fired.
4) Choosing to not finish your work rather than work that extra two minutes will ALSO usually get your rear end fired, given enough time.
5) By being the person who's not out the door the instant it hits 5:00, you wind up giving a better impression to the people who determine promotions and raises. Unless you plan on leaving the company before raises are given out, I'd call that 60 cents well-spent.

I'm not talking about giving the boss a free half hour or some crap like that. I'm talking something comes up and I finish at 5:02 instead of 5:00. By not cutting out and eating that whopping 60 cent loss you are all so worried about, I make myself look like a team player and hard worker, which DOES pay off in the long run. (Well, at least with most companies - the one I just left being an exception, but that one had no problem paying OT and paid based on the exact times we badged into and out of the department anyway.)

Donating 2-5 minutes of labor per week is a FAR cry from 5-10 hours of 'strongly' suggested unpaid overtime I mentioned having an issue with when this discussion got started.

Edit: That said, so far they've given me a total of 3-4 hours of work per week to do. At this point, it'll be months before I even get 40 hours worth of work done!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Shadowhand00 posted:

On the other hand, a screenshot, even embedded in a word doc, is still far better than a "halp its broke" ticket with no screenshot or other useful information. Be thankful your users are at least making an effort to give you the info you need.

Now what is annoying are Word docs (or even worse, PDF files) that consist of a paragraph or two of unformatted text and maybe a few bullet points or something. Thanks, that was worth waiting two minutes for Word to load when you could have just put it straight into the body of the ticket/email instead.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ObsidianBeast posted:

Two weeks ago I was e-mailed an Excel spreadsheet: Printed on the MFD, scanned back in as a PDF, PDF attached to e-mail.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

dennyk posted:

Why would you even "donate" a few minutes? This isn't a charity you are volunteering for, it's a for-profit business. You work, you're on the clock and you get paid. Don't give them any work for free.

Imagine if you went in to your boss and told him you were short on cash and needed the company to give you some extra money but you were refusing to work any extra time. Then when he refused you accused him of not being a team player.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Taliesyn posted:

In two decades working in offices, there are several lessons I've learned:

1) The bosses WILL notice and remember who cuts and runs at 5:00, and who is willing to work a little later if it means finishing your work.
2) When you bill the company for that extra two minutes you worked Monday, you give the impression of being an incredibly greedy bastard. (Unless, I suppose, 2 minutes comes to something more than pocket change. In my case, 2 minutes is 60 cents. Over a year, that comes to a bit over $30. I could save more by switching to cheaper toilet paper or eating out a couple times less per year.)
3) In a no-overtime environment, consistently charging overtime will get your rear end fired.
4) Choosing to not finish your work rather than work that extra two minutes will ALSO usually get your rear end fired, given enough time.
5) By being the person who's not out the door the instant it hits 5:00, you wind up giving a better impression to the people who determine promotions and raises. Unless you plan on leaving the company before raises are given out, I'd call that 60 cents well-spent.

I'm not talking about giving the boss a free half hour or some crap like that. I'm talking something comes up and I finish at 5:02 instead of 5:00. By not cutting out and eating that whopping 60 cent loss you are all so worried about, I make myself look like a team player and hard worker, which DOES pay off in the long run. (Well, at least with most companies - the one I just left being an exception, but that one had no problem paying OT and paid based on the exact times we badged into and out of the department anyway.)

Donating 2-5 minutes of labor per week is a FAR cry from 5-10 hours of 'strongly' suggested unpaid overtime I mentioned having an issue with when this discussion got started.

Edit: That said, so far they've given me a total of 3-4 hours of work per week to do. At this point, it'll be months before I even get 40 hours worth of work done!

Except 6 months down the line everyone who leaves at 5 got fired and now you're the rear end in a top hat who only stays 5 minutes after 5, if you were a team player you'd be like Jeremy, he stays until 5:30 and never puts it on his timecard.

3 years of that and suddenly a normal workplace becomes the 55 hour a week hellhole that nobody wants to work at. If you are hourly, and you work without getting paid, you are an absolute loving chump, full stop.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

But lets not pretend that people always have a choice in the matter. Everyone fantasizes about standing up for themselves but truth is the game is rigged. And when the choice is between working overtime or not eating what kind of choice is it really.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

Except 6 months down the line everyone who leaves at 5 got fired and now you're the rear end in a top hat who only stays 5 minutes after 5, if you were a team player you'd be like Jeremy, he stays until 5:30 and never puts it on his timecard.

3 years of that and suddenly a normal workplace becomes the 55 hour a week hellhole that nobody wants to work at. If you are hourly, and you work without getting paid, you are an absolute loving chump, full stop.

Hey, I never said I'd be donating a half hour a week. That's crazy talk! :D

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Acelerion posted:

But lets not pretend that people always have a choice in the matter. Everyone fantasizes about standing up for themselves but truth is the game is rigged. And when the choice is between working overtime or not eating what kind of choice is it really.
There's no reason to assume that this particular situation is so dire (yet, anyway). Coworker rumors don't mean poo poo. Clock whatever hours worked until informed otherwise by a manager. Case closed.

If a manager comes and requests you stop clocking accurately, that's when I'd get worried. Maybe it's a luxury to some, but I don't work for free. Never been asked to. One of my coworkers works during her lunch break, but our boss has asked her to stop because it opens up the company to liability. Not that she listens.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm salary, but normal operating hours are 8:30-5:30 or so with an hour to an hour and a half break for lunch.

My general policy is that I'll work till I find a good stopping point within like 15min of quitting time, if it's earlier, I'll either discuss what got done/what still needs to be done/whatever I ran into that I am not sure about with whoever I need to discuss it with, and update my notes on where I'm at on each project/problem I'm working on. If it's slightly after quitting time when I find a good stopping point, cya tomorrow!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

kastein posted:

I'm salary, but normal operating hours are 8:30-5:30 or so with an hour to an hour and a half break for lunch.

My general policy is that I'll work till I find a good stopping point within like 15min of quitting time, if it's earlier, I'll either discuss what got done/what still needs to be done/whatever I ran into that I am not sure about with whoever I need to discuss it with, and update my notes on where I'm at on each project/problem I'm working on. If it's slightly after quitting time when I find a good stopping point, cya tomorrow!

Holy poo poo hour and a half for lunch??

I pretty much always eat at my desk :-(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

Holy poo poo hour and a half for lunch??

I pretty much always eat at my desk :-(

Yeah, lunch for me is 10-20 minutes while working on my real work in between the meetings that swallow 5-6 hours of my work day. Only the hourly people get lunch breaks, illegal or not.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Yeah, my lunch is usually 15 minutes running somewhere to get food then eating it at my desk while working. On very rare occasions some of us go out to a restaurant for lunch and eat there, but that only happens 3-4 times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
On Fridays when all us field guys happen to be in the office sometimes my boss takes us out for lunch and buys us beers :)