Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Oh man. This sounds massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Having only recently got into Electric Wizard and having not yet had the chance to explore their entire discography through and through, I gotta say this owns. It sounds harsh as gently caress. I want to hear this in an appropriately dark movie (like Only Lovers Left Alive or something like that) or game trailer or something. That'd get me hyped as gently caress.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

m-o-o-n posted:

It's better than Legalise Drugs and Murder but I still can't help but feel like they're past their prime and their output after We Live has been kinda monotonous and dull.

Witchcult Today had some good tracks, but I agree, this new tune is not very good. The riffs are completely uninteresting, and the production is pretty bad.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Having only recently got into Electric Wizard and having not yet had the chance to explore their entire discography through and through, I gotta say this owns. It sounds harsh as gently caress. I want to hear this in an appropriately dark movie (like Only Lovers Left Alive or something like that) or game trailer or something. That'd get me hyped as gently caress.

Their first three albums are way better than any of the releases from this current lineup, so you're in for a treat!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Juaguocio posted:

Witchcult Today had some good tracks, but I agree, this new tune is not very good. The riffs are completely uninteresting, and the production is pretty bad.
It sounds real droney to me, which I like, and the production sounds good enough to me :shobon: It's not like abrasively lo-fi but it's not overproduced either.

Juaguocio posted:

Their first three albums are way better than any of the releases from this current lineup, so you're in for a treat!
Sweet! I'll have to jump in and listen to them all one of these days. If they're even better than this track, chances are I'll love them.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
When I first heard Dopethrone, it had me physically exhausted. It's just such an immense album, it wore me out. I enjoy a lot of Electric Wizard's discography, including Witchcult and Black Masses, but I will admit I skipped around on this new track. I will have to hear the album in it's entirety though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dopethrone is the greatest doom metal album of all time imo. Come My Fanatics is close.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

They're never gonna top or equal Dopethrone or Come My Fanatics. It's pretty decent though.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
I saw Thou and The Body earlier tonight at their Detroit date. It was a crushing show. 10/10. Chip from The Body is a super nice dude in real life. I recommend you come in with ear plugs since they set up something like 14 speaker cabinets.

Yeah okay man
Jun 17, 2012

Good for health
Bad for education
Hey guys,

My sister told me to check out this sweet stoner band that I noticed was not mentioned in the OP.

They're called Kadavar and I can't decide whether it's really stoner or more psycho rock like let's say Radio Moscow or something similar. What do you guys think? Anyways I feel they are pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticL_7eLkGM good album

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2SdzgPj3_o new-ish song.

With you on this one, this new track is solid!

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Unbootable posted:

I saw Thou and The Body earlier tonight at their Detroit date. It was a crushing show. 10/10. Chip from The Body is a super nice dude in real life. I recommend you come in with ear plugs since they set up something like 14 speaker cabinets.

This. The Body are always fantastic and with Thou it is insane. Check them out if they come through your town.

I also really liked the collaboration with them and Haxan Cloak. That album scared the poo poo out of me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Seventh Mode posted:

Oh hey. This guy is one of my best friends. I'm not even into post-metal, but I love the poo poo he makes. Literally one of the sweetest guys I've ever met, as a side note.

Please tell me he's making more. :pray:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Was just turned onto Hemelbestormer by a friend, really impressed with this collaboration with Vanessa Van Basten.

http://hemelbestormer.bandcamp.com/album/portals

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have discovered Truckfighters recently. I love them so much that not even a week after discovering them on Spotify, I bought two shirts from their merch score. Thank you, Sweden, for your ability to produce awesome metal bands.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm liking the new Electric Wizard, but I long for the older-style vocals.

Yeah okay man posted:

Hey guys,

My sister told me to check out this sweet stoner band that I noticed was not mentioned in the OP.

They're called Kadavar and I can't decide whether it's really stoner or more psycho rock like let's say Radio Moscow or something similar. What do you guys think? Anyways I feel they are pretty dope.

Check out Danava.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c4xQzqEI4g

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Hs anyone here ever heard Act of Impalement? Great young band out of Nashville that is just a great mashup of doom, death metal, and a little bit of BM. I think they are about to do a small tour so check them out if they are coming through your town.

http://actofimpalement.bandcamp.com

EDIT: Forgot to post the tour dates.

July 18 Johnson City, TN - The Hideaway
July 19 Washington DC - TBA
July 20 Richmond, VA - Haunted Mansion
July 21 Raleigh, NC - The Maywood
July 22 Columbia, SC - The Foxfield
July 23 Ashville, NC - The Odditorium

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 17, 2014

Yeah okay man
Jun 17, 2012

Good for health
Bad for education

ChickenArise posted:

I'm liking the new Electric Wizard, but I long for the older-style vocals.

Check out Danava.

Holy poo poo this is fucken nuts! thanks! Portland still delivering solid bands as always.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

All of their albums are pretty amazing.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

New Sleep

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/07/18/332268326/vikings-choice-sleep-the-clarity

It's good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:worship:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I feel like this is a pretty special occasion. :woop::slick::duckie::spooky::syoon::toot::rock::hfive::horse:

edit: haha, the "interview" in that article is not to be overlooked!

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 18, 2014

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit :worship:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Today's a holiday now

e: I'm choosing to imagine this as the soundtrack to the Dopesmoker caravan finally making contact with civilization after 20 years of being lost and stoned in the desert.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 18, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my goooooooooooood

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Hell yeah, this is a totally brand new track. Sounds a bit like "Antarcticans Thawed" in the way the parts fit together, but pretty different at the same time.

There is some sick syncopation in that main riff. I'm hearing it as 4 bars of 3/4 followed by one of 4/4, but it seems to shift a lot based on what the drums are doing. It sounds pretty loose and jammy overall, so I've got to think that a lot of it was recorded "live" in the studio.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Holy poo poo, I can't believe I'm listening to new Sleep. This is badass.

Edit: More badass than I expected, actually. Oh please let them put out another album...

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 18, 2014

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Them's some loud vocals though

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

a_big_dog posted:

Them's some loud vocals though

Agreed, vocals are way too loud

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Kinda reminds me of Om's first two albums with guitar which is pretty cool (yes I know who's in Om)Could use dirtier production though.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Oh man, that new Om track is okay, but I wonder when the new Sleep song is going to come out :smug: ...

Seriously, though, I am not sure what I was expecting going into this. The song wasn't bad, but it was a little incongruent with their other albums.

Still excited for the new record, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think any new Sleep track with vocals is gonna sound like Om. The last time we heard Al sing for Sleep on record was in Dopesmoker and that was recorded fifteen years ago. I don't think Al will ever be able to do a vocal performance like that again.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 19, 2014

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

It wasn't only the vocals but the riff as well. It was just VERY Om. Which, I mean, isn't terrible, just not what I was expecting.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

It wasn't only the vocals but the riff as well. It was just VERY Om. Which, I mean, isn't terrible, just not what I was expecting.

I hear a lot of Matt Pike being so many years better on guitar. It's High on Fire slowed down: rakes, bends, and all. (In the best way)

Mandactyl
Jun 1, 2011

A kinder, gentler herpes
Grimey Drawer

ChickenArise posted:

I hear a lot of Matt Pike being so many years better on guitar. It's High on Fire slowed down: rakes, bends, and all. (In the best way)

Yeah, Matt Pike is light years ahead of where he was. This is the first time in a while that he has done something that sounds awesome right from the first note.
Sleep posted on Facebook that a limited run of records were going to be pressed. I cannot wait.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Listened to the track about twenty times today. Love it. Thanks you adult swim. Thank you weed. Thank you Sleep.

Yeah okay man
Jun 17, 2012

Good for health
Bad for education

nerve posted:

Agreed, vocals are way too loud

New track is fucken dope but I totally agree, I find it interesting that they chose to do it this way.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Doomed & Stoned in Portland: A name your price compilation of 48 songs.

quote:

In celebration of the one year anniversary of Doomed & Stoned (https://www.doomedandstoned.com), we present to you a collection of bands that have wrapped their tentacles around the Portland underground metal scene and are hungry to scale new mountains.

Mine is downloading as I type this up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I saw High on Fire last night. second time I have seen them and it was pretty obvious that Matt is recovering from a recent fall off the wagon :(

on the plus side it was still a good show and there is a lot more facial hair in the band now.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Laserface posted:

I saw High on Fire last night. second time I have seen them and it was pretty obvious that Matt is recovering from a recent fall off the wagon :(

on the plus side it was still a good show and there is a lot more facial hair in the band now.

That's unfortunate, but it really is hard to imagine Pike sober.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I really really want Pike to stop drinking. One day we are going to wake up and he'll be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember when I saw Sleep in Dublin a couple of years ago, Pike came out staggering all over the stage like a drunk. He then proceeded to break into the opening riff of Dopesmoker and he looked totally focused. It was either a really good act or the dude can really play drunk. Al was also ripping a bong between songs. So good.