Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've been having a bunch of leftover rice lately, and rather than frying it for lunch, what else could I do with it? I could, technically, keep it in the rice cooker for a few days, but I don't eat rice every day (maybe I should???), and I don't trust my extremely lovely rice cooker to not gently caress something up.

Believe it or not, it's good in egg dishes like omelettes and frittatas, season before adding. The old asian standbys: fried rice, congee, and yaki onigiri. You can risotto leftover rice, won't be the best texture, but it will work in a pinch. You can also make rice pudding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Anyone have a recipe for some tasty poached chicken, without a lot of calories added in the form of marinade/gravy/whatever?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I received a slow cooker for Christmas and have been trying to use it. Made some Goulash and meatballs with it. One thing I've noticed though is that the liquids inside seem to separate whenever I make something. So each time I take off the top there is an oily layer on top. I stir it up but it's back in minutes.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Sort of new to using a slow cooker and trying to follow recipes the best I can.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Tell me about using one of these for homebrewing.

Well I don't think there is much of a use for homebrewing. You can't really use it in the mash, as the grains in the water will clog the circulator. You can probably just use an electric heating element and a PID, but then you have problems with circulation and accurate temperature monitoring. I don't really think its a worthwhile thing to pursue, esp when mashing isn't really that difficult to begin with.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

chunkey posted:

Anyone have a recipe for some tasty poached chicken, without a lot of calories added in the form of marinade/gravy/whatever?

Poaching in a court bouillon is a nice low fat and tasty way to poach a food. Honestly though, homemade marinades don't really add that many calories, why avoid them?

If you want a great and flavorful way to healthfully cook many proteins, check out cooking en papillote. This was a bit trendy about 10 years ago or so. I think reynolds pushed it with their foil, but it's a legit way to cook things. Because it's sealed the aromatics stay contained, if you use parchment paper, you don't need to add much oil at all.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Niwrad posted:

I received a slow cooker for Christmas and have been trying to use it. Made some Goulash and meatballs with it. One thing I've noticed though is that the liquids inside seem to separate whenever I make something. So each time I take off the top there is an oily layer on top. I stir it up but it's back in minutes.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Sort of new to using a slow cooker and trying to follow recipes the best I can.

This is normal with a fatty cut of meat. You can get a fat separator, which is basically a measuring cup with the a spout that comes from the bottom. The fat stays on top and you pour the deliciousness out. If you have more time, you can remove the meat/whatever and put the liquid in the fridge until the fat hardens. Then just take the fat out with a big spoon.

I haven't used a slow cooker for things like goulash, so I don't know what you would do in that case. Why even make that in a slow cooker?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It was a family recipe from a friend originally from Europe who recommended using it. But it seems to happen with any thick sauce or fatty meat. Some meatballs I made did the same thing. If it doesn't matter, I won't worry, it just looked sort of weird to me in the slow cooker and wasn't sure if I was doing it right.

Sort of new to cooking so learning on the fly about a lot of things.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Well I don't think there is much of a use for homebrewing. You can't really use it in the mash, as the grains in the water will clog the circulator. You can probably just use an electric heating element and a PID, but then you have problems with circulation and accurate temperature monitoring. I don't really think its a worthwhile thing to pursue, esp when mashing isn't really that difficult to begin with.

I was thinking about using it with a copper wort chiller tube (the spiral kind) for precise wort boil temp control (a step removed from actually directly controlling the wort temp by recirculating it through the heater). It seems logical that I could work out what temp to run through the spiral to maintain X temp in the fluid it's immersed in. If I had a gas stove available this would be less of a point of interest, but electric sucks for the precision I want.

What's the typical min and max temps on one?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
What would some examples be of logistical problems encountered when attempting a meatloaf cake consisting of two 9"-round layers?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

scuz posted:

What would some examples be of logistical problems encountered when attempting a meatloaf cake consisting of two 9"-round layers?

The meatloafs will bulge upwards in the center. You con put weight on them while they rest to counteract that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

scuz posted:

Your neckbeard will get in the way of your fork when you try and eat it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

The meatloafs will bulge upwards in the center. You con put weight on them while they rest to counteract that.
A swell idea :haw: (thanks!)

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Your neckbeard will get in the way of your fork when you try and eat it.
This was an issue when dealing with my macaroni-and-cheese cake w/bacon frosting so I'm well prepared, but thank you!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:stare: You are living the dream.

Please post the recipe for the frosting.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

:stare: You are living the dream.

Please post the recipe for the frosting.
It's more of a coating but since it's on a cake it's a frosting. Meh!

5 strips thick-cut uncured bacon
1C panko bread crumbs
2T butter

Place bacon on cold griddle and fry over medium heat. Melt butter in small sauce pan and combine with panko. As bacon fries, drizzle the grease into the breadcrumb/butter mixture and stir. When bacon is just shy of crispy, chuck it in a food processor or crumble by hand, combine with breadcrumb/butter/grease mixture.

Here's the thing:

edit: I realize how absurd this is and just wanted to see if it could be done, don't judge :love:

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 15, 2012

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

dino. posted:

If it's long grain rice, the next day is the perfect time to cook off some veggies with some spices and fat, and then toss it with the cold rice (and warm the rice through on the stove) to make a sort of quickie pilaf deal. Cumin and coriander, and a bit of turmeric go a long way towards making next-day rice interesting again.

Or, you could cook it up with a tin of beans, a bit of garlic and scallion, a bit of thyme, and coconut milk for Jamaican Rice & Peas. It tastes awesome, and is wicked easy to make.
Can you give some simple instructions? I always have a couple-of-days old rice, and would love to try this once in a while. But as a newbie cook I am terrified of just trying something, and all the recipes call for uncooked rice.

E: never mind I found one I think! No need to answer this question, I'm sure I will have another dumb noobie question soon

cereal eater fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 15, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

I was thinking about using it with a copper wort chiller tube (the spiral kind) for precise wort boil temp control (a step removed from actually directly controlling the wort temp by recirculating it through the heater). It seems logical that I could work out what temp to run through the spiral to maintain X temp in the fluid it's immersed in. If I had a gas stove available this would be less of a point of interest, but electric sucks for the precision I want.

What's the typical min and max temps on one?

Well they (generally) can't chill, so room temp to boiling. IIRC some can chill, and can be used with non-water substances. Those can get as cold as the medium can go without freezing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm looking for a book.

Basically, I have some great recipe books, but they're very...non-explanatory. It's a series of steps - Do X, Y, Z. It makes it hard for me to do much more than just follow the steps.

I'd really like something that teaches more "food science" type things. I want to understand what I'm doing, and with some actual math, if at all possible. While I don't need real thermodynamics, I really like doing calculations on this type of things, I'd love to be able to think "alright, I know the meat is about X thick, and the heat will travel through it about Y rate, so that should take about Z minutes to finish cooking".

Anything anyone knows of like this? I feel like I'm just learning recipes, not learning how lumps of things are turned into delicious, which is what I'd greatly prefer.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

I'm looking for a book.

Basically, I have some great recipe books, but they're very...non-explanatory. It's a series of steps - Do X, Y, Z. It makes it hard for me to do much more than just follow the steps.

I'd really like something that teaches more "food science" type things. I want to understand what I'm doing, and with some actual math, if at all possible. While I don't need real thermodynamics, I really like doing calculations on this type of things, I'd love to be able to think "alright, I know the meat is about X thick, and the heat will travel through it about Y rate, so that should take about Z minutes to finish cooking".

Anything anyone knows of like this? I feel like I'm just learning recipes, not learning how lumps of things are turned into delicious, which is what I'd greatly prefer.

If you have the money, Modernist Cuisine may be what you're looking for. It is, however, $450.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Are there recipes that aren't desserts that use chocolate? I've got 34 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, ~12oz of cocoa powder and 22oz in baking bars.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You can use it in BBQ sauces and other savory sauces as well as in the ubiquitous moles oaxaqueno and poblano. For the adventurous, chocolate and cauliflower was featured in Khymos' TGRWT. http://flavoralchemy.squarespace.com/journal/tgrwt-7-round-up.html

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Niwrad posted:

It was a family recipe from a friend originally from Europe who recommended using it. But it seems to happen with any thick sauce or fatty meat. Some meatballs I made did the same thing. If it doesn't matter, I won't worry, it just looked sort of weird to me in the slow cooker and wasn't sure if I was doing it right.

Sort of new to cooking so learning on the fly about a lot of things.

It's just your sauce breaking. Just stir it back together to re-emulsify.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

I Am Not Spor posted:

Are there recipes that aren't desserts that use chocolate? I've got 34 ounces of unsweetened chocolate, ~12oz of cocoa powder and 22oz in baking bars.

Add it to chili. I used a chocolate stout instead of straight chocolate, but it adds a really great flavor.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you have the money, Modernist Cuisine may be what you're looking for. It is, however, $450.

Holy crap, is it a textbook? And amazing? I mean, if it's actually worth the $450 I'm probably interested.

e: Oh, 6 volumes and a shitload of science magic. Yeah, that's probably worth the money. :allears:

I recommend McGee's "On Food And Cooking" for a cheaper (starter) option.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 15, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Haven't gone through all of it, but a lot of Modernist Cuisine seems more focused on `deconstructing' technique rather than explicating it, if you understand the distinction. McGee's On Food and Cooking is really the first thing that comes to mind as a purely expository text on why kitchen techniques work the way they do.

That's not to look down on Modernist Cuisine. But it's sorta like, I dunno, something like the Fat Duck Cookbook in that it feels very revisionist, rather than being an exploration of traditional cooking techniques like, say, all the Keller books I've read, or even the Cook's Illustrated books (e.g. The New Best Recipe) that are very focused on working out what makes a traditional recipe works, rather than taking it apart and trying to come up with something similar than better. If that distinction makes sense.

I'll also repeat that basic textbooks like Prochef are really invaluable for novice cooks that just need all-around schooling on the basic mechanics of prep work and cooking---even though a lot of what they teach ends up feeling kinda safe and boring once you get your feet under you.

scuz posted:

It's more of a coating but since it's on a cake it's a frosting. Meh!

5 strips thick-cut uncured bacon
1C panko bread crumbs
2T butter

Place bacon on cold griddle and fry over medium heat. Melt butter in small sauce pan and combine with panko. As bacon fries, drizzle the grease into the breadcrumb/butter mixture and stir. When bacon is just shy of crispy, chuck it in a food processor or crumble by hand, combine with breadcrumb/butter/grease mixture.

Here's the thing:

edit: I realize how absurd this is and just wanted to see if it could be done, don't judge :love:
If I had to frost a cake with pork fat, I'd definitely go with something like apfel griebenschmalz, which is apples, crispy scraps of pork, and usually onion in rendered pork fat. It's a traditional German spread for dark bread.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

taqueso posted:

This is normal with a fatty cut of meat. You can get a fat separator, which is basically a measuring cup with the a spout that comes from the bottom. The fat stays on top and you pour the deliciousness out. If you have more time, you can remove the meat/whatever and put the liquid in the fridge until the fat hardens. Then just take the fat out with a big spoon.

I haven't used a slow cooker for things like goulash, so I don't know what you would do in that case. Why even make that in a slow cooker?

Sounds like a job for liquid nitrogen instead.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

SubG posted:

Cook's Illustrated books (e.g. The New Best Recipe)

I don't necessarily like all of the recipes in The New Best Recipe, but as far as explaining methodology behind recipe creation its a great tool. Just seeing how they build the recipes they do, and what they look at, has improved how I approach cooking. It's also a handy reference because it has a gazillion recipes, but I really like the way the folks at CI do their work.

sporkupine
Apr 1, 2009

alea iacta est
I bought a whole frozen octopus on a whim. Does anyone have any recipes to help me with consuming the delicious and purple thingy?

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can use it in BBQ sauces and other savory sauces as well as in the ubiquitous moles oaxaqueno and poblano. For the adventurous, chocolate and cauliflower was featured in Khymos' TGRWT. http://flavoralchemy.squarespace.com/journal/tgrwt-7-round-up.html

Nibble posted:

Add it to chili. I used a chocolate stout instead of straight chocolate, but it adds a really great flavor.

Thanks yo. Chocolate chili tonight, with marble cheesecake for dessert; tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at a smoked beef brisket with a chocolate ancho rub (I doubt this will turn out correctly) and chocolate strawberry chiffon squares with berry cream for dessert; sometime this weekend I'll attempt a cocoa and wine brazed lamb, this was on TGRWT, with a spiced chocolate apricot cake for dessert with a French icing <- straight OG Joy of Cooking from 1964.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

sporkupine posted:

I bought a whole frozen octopus on a whim. Does anyone have any recipes to help me with consuming the delicious and purple thingy?

Pulpo a la gallega is one of my favorite octopus dishes http://www.bestspanishrecipes.co.uk/2007/10/23/pulpo-a-la-gallega/

You can also grill it and make tacos, delicious. Edit: braise the 'pus before grilling.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 15, 2012

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Splizwarf posted:

Dark chocolate, get a ruby port for the wine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Milk chocolate just doesn't set up hard enough for chocolate dipped strawberries. Go with a semi.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Any suggestions for what to do with some lamb Merguez sausage?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Halalelujah posted:

Any suggestions for what to do with some lamb Merguez sausage?

Grill it, halve a baguette, lightly butter and grill it too. Make sammach, eat sammach.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Grill it, halve a baguette, lightly butter and grill it too. Make sammach, eat sammach.

add some aioli, some manchego melted into the bread, and some arugula and nom that fucker

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

add some aioli, some manchego melted into the bread, and some arugula and nom that fucker

Like anyone can wait that long.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Hapless college guy here. I made some Kraft Deluxe Mac&Cheese. Ate a cup of it, but there are 3 more cups left. I want to store it for as long as possible. What should I do?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm making blts tonight. Is there anything I could put into homemade mayo to make it better? Or should I stick to the best foods?

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

UnfurledSails posted:

Hapless college guy here. I made some Kraft Deluxe Mac&Cheese. Ate a cup of it, but there are 3 more cups left. I want to store it for as long as possible. What should I do?

Blend the remaining cups of Kraft Deluxe Mac&Cheese until it forms into a sort of chunky mixture but not a complete paste. Roll the Kraft Deluxe Mac&Cheeseball blend into 1" diameter balls, drench them in eggs/buttermilk, then roll them in a mix of flour/salt/pepper/spices and deep fry in hot oil until they brown.

Then kill yourself. Or just throw them away 'cause a box of Mac&Cheese is like $.45 so who cares.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

do you have any ipecac handy?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

UnfurledSails posted:

Just put it in the fridge and eat it over the next day or two....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm making blts tonight. Is there anything I could put into homemade mayo to make it better? Or should I stick to the best foods?

Lots of garlic. And throw some avocado on the blt because blats are better than blts.