Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Casull posted:

Ah gently caress, my landlord just banned me from roasting coffee with the heat gun and dog bowl outdoors.

He's really going to hate it when you bring it indoors then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Casull posted:

Ah gently caress, my landlord just banned me from roasting coffee with the heat gun and dog bowl outdoors.

Get an extension cord and run it to just past the property line, then roast away while blasting "gently caress the police".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So this place just opened up. They make great espresso (they don't offer any drip coffee at all) and awesome waffles too. Though I think the prices for the drinks are the highest I've seen. It appears they took the Blue Bottle prices and added 50 cents to everything.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

$24 for a lb of coffee? drat it feels good to be a home roaster.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Google Butt posted:

$24 for a lb of coffee? drat it feels good to be a home roaster.

You're making me miss my sweet maria's already and it hasn't even been a day since I got banned from roasting :(

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Casull posted:

You're making me miss my sweet maria's already and it hasn't even been a day since I got banned from roasting :(

There is a lot more ways than just 'heatgundogbowl' to roast.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Casull posted:

Find out outlet in a dark, dank alley and roast like the fiend you are!

Seriously, just roast in public.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

So this place just opened up. They make great espresso (they don't offer any drip coffee at all) and awesome waffles too. Though I think the prices for the drinks are the highest I've seen. It appears they took the Blue Bottle prices and added 50 cents to everything.

That's about the price point I'd expect from a brand new SF cafe, poo poo ain't cheap in the city any more. Hell, have you *seen* the price of cocketails these days? :catstare:

Casull posted:

What was your LL's rational for barring you from roasting outside? Fire hazard, using his electricity? You could always get a whirly-pop and just roast in your kitchen cheaply that way.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Seriously I doubt s/he is allowed to do that.

What the hell would incite them to "ban" it in the first place. 15 minutes of light smoky smell is hardly offensive. I blast my neighbours with hours of BBQ smoke every day of the weekend all summer and one rack of ribs once a year is enough for their only reaction to be: "smelling good over there!"

Maybe invite them to sample the fruits of your labour.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Casull posted:

I don't think that is legal.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Google Butt posted:

Seriously, just roast in public.

If you are a college student, do it on the quad and you can be "that guy who roasts his own coffee".

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

o muerte posted:

What was your LL's rational for barring you from roasting outside? Fire hazard, using his electricity? You could always get a whirly-pop and just roast in your kitchen cheaply that way.

A "fire hazard."

Mind, I actually looked up the ignition point of the various substances exposed to the heat gun, and yeah, I'd gently caress up my coffee long before I set anything on fire.

My landlord is, uh, interesting. I'd prefer not to derail this thread too much, but I'll begin with "he don't like coffee."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Casull posted:

I just roast in my kitchen using an air popper.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Casull posted:

A "fire hazard."

Mind, I actually looked up the ignition point of the various substances exposed to the heat gun, and yeah, I'd gently caress up my coffee long before I set anything on fire.

My landlord is, uh, interesting. I'd prefer not to derail this thread too much, but I'll begin with "he don't like coffee."

Clearly it boils down to "Because I Say So." Given this is probably not the hill you will choose to die on (nor would I recommend making it so) does he live there, or else how did he find out? My guess is you will have to figure out when he's gone (or when his snitch is gone) and do it then.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

JDM3 posted:

Clearly it boils down to "Because I Say So." Given this is probably not the hill you will choose to die on (nor would I recommend making it so) does he live there, or else how did he find out? My guess is you will have to figure out when he's gone (or when his snitch is gone) and do it then.

I think Casull said he lives in an apartment building and was roasting outside in common space. So this isn't a case of a landlord dictating what he can and can't do outside at a house he's renting - if it were he could just tell the landlord to go gently caress himself and there's nothing legal his landlord could do about it. Anyway - we're derailing at this point.

Google Butt - did you ever figure out what was up with your infinity grind size being off? Mine is finer than I expect at various settings now and I'm not sure if I threw the burr adjustment off by pulling it to clean.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casull posted:

A "fire hazard."

I don't know how messy the chaff would be with a heatgun method but it's not really that bad to roast indoors. I do it indoors sometimes with my whirly pop. Just open a window, put a fan on it blowing air in, and use your hood vent.

Maybe if the chaff is bad do it in the bathtub with a heat gun on a heatproof blanket with the window open/fan blowing in/exhaust fan on? might be a bad idea though, I'm not terribly familiar with the minutiae of heatgunning.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Alternatively setup cheap pop-up tent in your living room and roast in that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Alternatively setup cheap pop-up tent in your living room and roast in that.

Lol. Or just get a behmor or something. I feel like if someone's gonna pitch a tent, a behmor is a better option.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Just got my new decent scale that actually measures individual grams (hell, tenths of grams! :woop: ) so I can brew properly again.

I was just living with people who had these things previously and I'm working on collecting it all myself :(

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Just got my new decent scale that actually measures individual grams (hell, tenths of grams! :woop: ) so I can brew properly again.

Amateur - mine goes to hundredths. My go-to amount is 17.76, give or take a bean. (because :patriot:, obviously)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It is a drat sight better than an analog thing that is marked in 25 gram increments which is what I was hopelessly trying to manage my water at least with :v:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lol. Or just get a behmor or something. I feel like if someone's gonna pitch a tent, a behmor is a better option.

I got the idea from people who make their own goose down sleeping bags who don't want poo poo everywhere. $40 is less than $300 :colbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I got the idea from people who make their own goose down sleeping bags who don't want poo poo everywhere. $40 is less than $300 :colbert:

yeah but like, having a tent to setup every week. or having one setup all the time :psyduck: so much wasted space.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

o muerte posted:

I think Casull said he lives in an apartment building and was roasting outside in common space. So this isn't a case of a landlord dictating what he can and can't do outside at a house he's renting - if it were he could just tell the landlord to go gently caress himself and there's nothing legal his landlord could do about it.

Close. I was doing it on my patio.

So, Behmor 1600? I dunno, I wanted to get into this partially because it's fun to save money while roasting. It's fascinating, but when would it pay for itself?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah but like, having a tent to setup every week. or having one setup all the time :psyduck: so much wasted space.

That's why I said pop-up.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Casull posted:

Close. I was doing it on my patio.

So, Behmor 1600? I dunno, I wanted to get into this partially because it's fun to save money while roasting. It's fascinating, but when would it pay for itself?

You'd be saving $6 or $8 a lb, so 50 batches later you've paid off the $300 roaster. Also, tell your landlord to gently caress right off - unless you have local laws that let a LL specify "no power tools outside" or some bullshit he cannot legally tell you to stop what you're doing. Get a fire extinguisher and keep it on the patio and you're good to go.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Yeah it'd be better to roast outside, but at my last apartment i roasted indoors. I always had to vacuum up all the chaff afterwards which isn't that big of a deal.

In other news i just got some green coffee from our local coffee shop so i'll finally be roasting my own again. :)

Zarthalan
Mar 28, 2013
So, split between living at two houses, at my mothers house I'm only here for 3 days a week, and I'm the only one who likes coffee here. Wanting to use an aeropress to make it, are there any roasters that can produce a very small quantity at not too much of a cost? or should I just get pre-roasted?

not quite up to using a heatgun. I'm 100% sure I'd gently caress that up.

Zarthalan fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 28, 2013

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zarthalan posted:

So, split between living at two houses, at my mothers house I'm only here for 3 days a week, and I'm the only one who likes coffee here. Wanting to use an aeropress to make it, are there any roasters that can produce a very small quantity at not too much of a cost? or should I just get pre-roasted?

not quite up to using a heatgun. I'm 100% sure I'd gently caress that up.
Air popper?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Remarkable experience roasting today - using a Kona coffee sent by the folks I usually buy roasted from. Pricey at $20 lb, but still cheaper than buying their already roasted. Anyway, I noticed the beans are bigger - and roasted bigger too. Also the temperature outside was cooler - maybe 55-60 (f). Between these two factors, the roast went longer, and there was a significantly longer time between first and second crack.

Previously I had been roasting in 85-90 and there would pretty much be a smooth transition to second crack almost right away after first crack tailed off. This time there was a good minute or perhaps even two between the two. I stopped a few seconds into second crack and got a nice, beautiful brown roast, with very little oil present. (Last week I went well into second crack and was not in love with the oilier darker roast.)

With regard to that oil, is there a general consensus about pushing the aeropress plunger all the way or stopping when it starts to hiss? I've heard both, and am leaning toward stopping early - I think it does squeeze some bitterness into the cup...

In any case, the proof will be in the cup tomorrow am.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There's a guy around here who roasts everything well into the second crack, sometimes I can deal with it but mostly I like city or a bit more roasts. Love that bright, tangy-acidic cup.

e: He's very popular around to the townies, a lot of Penn State students don't ever realize he exists but locals know. I think he's the source of the freshest roasted coffee they've ever had, even if it's all brewed into the big thermos dispenser thingies.

There is a third wave type thing also that serves Intelligentsia but that Intelligentsia will get up to like a month old and super gross. Also their baristas are pretty bad, one of them served my friend an espresso that didn't even have crema on top. What the hell.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 29, 2013

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I just moved to a new town for a new job, and there are a number of third-wave coffee shops in the area that have immediately spoiled me. After learning what good coffee's supposed to taste like, I just ordered myself a CCD and grinder. After reading through this thread I'm afraid how far down the rabbit hole this will lead me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A good grinder and CCD is really all you need. I would consider getting a Chemex or something if you want to make coffee for guests.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Realistically, what's the difference between an Aeropress and a CCD?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Quite a lot since a Clever is a type of pourover and Aeropress does full immersion. If you use a Disk Fine metal filter from Able then you can get something that's weirdly between coffee and espresso, it's pretty tasty to be honest.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Quite a lot since a Clever is a type of pourover and Aeropress does full immersion. If you use a Disk Fine metal filter from Able then you can get something that's weirdly between coffee and espresso, it's pretty tasty to be honest.

CCD is full immersion, too.

Aeropress does finer grinds with shorter steep times better and handles lower temperature water. Because of this it is more sensitive to steep time. CCD is more like press pot in that it can take coarser grinds and is more forgiving of steep times.

Edit: aero doesn't even remotely get anywhere close to espresso. That ish needs to stop. It's just strong coffee.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 29, 2013

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
We got a batch of samples from our roaster last week, and one of the coffees was a Panama Geisha. That cup was straight up the sweetest cup of coffee I've ever had. It was like there was a dab of honey in it or something, it was amazing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aeropress looks like it should be used for artificial insemination

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

CCD is full immersion, too.

Aeropress does finer grinds with shorter steep times better and handles lower temperature water. Because of this it is more sensitive to steep time. CCD is more like press pot in that it can take coarser grinds and is more forgiving of steep times.

Edit: aero doesn't even remotely get anywhere close to espresso. That ish needs to stop. It's just strong coffee.

No its not like espresso really, just the really high pressure you end up with from the disk fine makes a much tangier cup that I kinda associate that with a good single origin espresso.

E: this speaks more of my associations than the aeropress method I think :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I've been looking for a local coffee supplier, and last week I found a great stall at my local market which stocks loads of different types of roasted coffee beans. I chatted to the owner and asked him how often they get deliveries. He said the stock he has was probably roasted between one-two weeks before he gets it. :(

Are they going to be seriously past their prime at two-three weeks?