Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's a good lookin pie and I would eat it.

Just about to toss these deep bois in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Upgrade posted:

Kind of a hybrid Detroit/NY

gently caress that looks tasty. I can feel the slight crisp with the chewiness from here

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Hell yeah.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Upgrade posted:

Kind of a hybrid Detroit/NY
I think it'd fit as a well-produced granny pizza. It's a real thing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
sometimes i try making sfincione with my detroit pans--bottom being whatever sheep's milk cheese i can get my hands on, and then a layer of tomato sauce with anchovy and onion melted in, and topped with panko

i worry about having sauce going literally right up to the edges, though, and if that might damage the pans

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Hello fellow pizza friends! Been a while since I shared a pie here. I got fed up continuously breaking pizza stones, so I shifted to cast iron pies and got decent at those. Then, after making far too many, I just stopped making pizza altogether for a while as I didn’t want to pony up for a steel. 

I got a steel this week. I’m an absolute moron for not getting one sooner. Ordered a 16” x 16” steel that is 3/8” thick from Cooking Steels on Amazon.

Pie #1 was a tomato and mozz pie with crumbled sausage. Whole peeled tomatoes very lightly blended, and Polly-O string cheese chopped into small dime size discs (only low-moisture mozz I could find). Dough came from a reliable place by my apartment, which was much smaller than usual and only got to about 10”

Crust was unlike anything I’ve ever made at home before. 

Pie #2 was same as the first but with half sausage and I massaged out the dough to make a wider diameter pie maybe 12”

These pale in comparison to most all of the pies that get posted in here (poo poo phone pics don't help), but I’m pumped about this new pizza steel and can’t wait to get better. Next step is making dough at home and getting consistent at that :)

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GramCracker posted:

These pale in comparison to most all of the pies that get posted in here (poo poo phone pics don't help), but I’m pumped about this new pizza steel and can’t wait to get better. Next step is making dough at home and getting consistent at that :)

Don't joke, that's a good pie and I would easily destroy that. Could it be closer to platonic, sure, but who cares if it tastes good.

The steel in my oven has made such an intense difference compared to a stone and I never want to go back. The thing it does to the crust when properly heated is great. If you have a gas range they make a great surface for pancakes too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the pizza steel club

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Welp now I'm thinking going from stone to steel might be a more reasonable step than stone to ooni.

edit
aaaaaaand ordered a Speed Steel XL.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 17, 2022

augias
Apr 7, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

Welp now I'm thinking going from stone to steel might be a more reasonable step than stone to ooni.

edit
aaaaaaand ordered a Speed Steel XL.

You guessed right. I would get an ooni if i owned a house and had a backyard, but first I'd get a grill, then smoker, then a trampoline, then a greenhouse. A pizza oven would be last priority.

Also I think this bears repeating every few dozen pages: if you have an oven with a broiler compartment / bottom heating element, finish you are pies there for a couple seconds. Don't know why it took me that long to realize this

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Some recent pizzas, I have only been doing this a couple months but I am enjoying myself:

I switched to a poolish-based dough which is definitely more challenging but has been giving better results.

I have the Koda 16, I usually make 12" pizzas but I like the extra room and I got it just before the price increase. :woop:

My family usually just wants a basic pepperoni, which is fine with me. I have tried some other toppings as well but this is the basic that I make weekly.

Getting some decent crumb, still needs work to be more consistent but there are some good ones in there:

Loving this hobby so far.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Be wary the slippery, delicious slope of slowly getting your oven game better. I started with the home oven and broiler, then snipping the heating cycle wire to access the oven while it was even hotter.
Then I got a stone. Then a steel. After that I used a https://www.kettlepizza.com/ for a while, which I modified quite heavily so it could get even hotter. Followed by the three increasing sizes of the Pizza Party ovens.
Then you're going to get a hair brained dream to open a pizza restaurant (don't do this!).
Just two weeks ago we ordered this loving thing...https://fierogroup.com/wp-content/uploads/unnamed-file.PDF/Oven-Spec-Sheets/Pavesi/RPM120Wood.pdf for our pizzeria we're opening in a few months.
This was over about a 10 year period - hell most of this thread chronicles my early pizzas.

Listen, I said it was a slippery, delicious slope...

Edit: ^^^^Those are some great looking pizzas my dude

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 17, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ishamael posted:

Some recent pizzas, I have only been doing this a couple months but I am enjoying myself:

I switched to a poolish-based dough which is definitely more challenging but has been giving better results.

I have the Koda 16, I usually make 12" pizzas but I like the extra room and I got it just before the price increase. :woop:

My family usually just wants a basic pepperoni, which is fine with me. I have tried some other toppings as well but this is the basic that I make weekly.

Getting some decent crumb, still needs work to be more consistent but there are some good ones in there:

Looks DANK!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Ishamael posted:

This looks awesome! What did you do for the cheese here? Fresh mozz and something else?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

Hello fellow pizza friends! Been a while since I shared a pie here. I got fed up continuously breaking pizza stones, so I shifted to cast iron pies and got decent at those. Then, after making far too many, I just stopped making pizza altogether for a while as I didn’t want to pony up for a steel. 

I got a steel this week. I’m an absolute moron for not getting one sooner. Ordered a 16” x 16” steel that is 3/8” thick from Cooking Steels on Amazon.

Pie #1 was a tomato and mozz pie with crumbled sausage. Whole peeled tomatoes very lightly blended, and Polly-O string cheese chopped into small dime size discs (only low-moisture mozz I could find). Dough came from a reliable place by my apartment, which was much smaller than usual and only got to about 10”

Crust was unlike anything I’ve ever made at home before. 

Pie #2 was same as the first but with half sausage and I massaged out the dough to make a wider diameter pie maybe 12”

drat that's a nice dark top on that without burning the bottom, what temp was that at?

When I was doing 550 with the steel the bottoms of my pizzas were actually getting burned so I turned it down to like 500 or 525 but I've never had em come out super dark like that on top

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

GramCracker posted:

This looks awesome! What did you do for the cheese here? Fresh mozz and something else?

Thanks! Yeah I put down a small base of shredded mozzarella, then topped with fresh mozz and some grated parm.

THANKs!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

ogopogo posted:

Then you're going to get a hair brained dream to open a pizza restaurant (don't do this!).

it's too late man I've already been vaguely wondering what it would take to run a pizza cart at the local ballpark

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

drat that's a nice dark top on that without burning the bottom, what temp was that at?

When I was doing 550 with the steel the bottoms of my pizzas were actually getting burned so I turned it down to like 500 or 525 but I've never had em come out super dark like that on top

Have you tried pre-heating the steel at a lower temp and then turning it up before putting the pizza in?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think the most important thing is pre heating the oven at high temp and then when you go to put the pie in, fire up the broiler instead. Then you just have to find which rack works best to balance the top and bottom cooking.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

sometimes i try making sfincione with my detroit pans--bottom being whatever sheep's milk cheese i can get my hands on, and then a layer of tomato sauce with anchovy and onion melted in, and topped with panko

i worry about having sauce going literally right up to the edges, though, and if that might damage the pans

I had never heard of this before, so I looked it up. It sounds really interesting!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Stefan Prodan posted:

Gwaihir posted:

I think the most important thing is pre heating the oven at high temp and then when you go to put the pie in, fire up the broiler instead. Then you just have to find which rack works best to balance the top and bottom cooking.

Yeah, there's definitely an art to working with the idiosyncrasies of your oven. If you've got a laser thermometer, you can temp it at various points to see where the heat goes. In my last house, my steel on the bottom rack would temp at 650 when the thermostat was set at 550. In this house, I'm lucky to get 525 on 550.

If your heating element is on the bottom and your steel is right on top of it, try moving it one or two racks up if the bottom is burning. But if your bottom crust is burning before you can get enough color on top, the simplest way is to finish it under the broiler for a minute or so.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Stefan Prodan posted:

This was at 550 (the max my oven can do), and the steel was in there baking for 1 hour prior to a pie going in while each pie was in the oven for ~8 minutes each. I'm not totally sure how they came out with that dark/char look on top if I'm honest...beginners luck with the steel? :shrug:

Ishamael posted:

Thanks! Yeah I put down a small base of shredded mozzarella, then topped with fresh mozz and some grated parm.

Looks awesome, gonna give this a shot next pizza night

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

This was at 550 (the max my oven can do), and the steel was in there baking for 1 hour prior to a pie going in while each pie was in the oven for ~8 minutes each. I'm not totally sure how they came out with that dark/char look on top if I'm honest...beginners luck with the steel? :shrug:

Looks awesome, gonna give this a shot next pizza night

Hm yeah 8 minutes is longer than I do mine, I've typically pulled it out after 6 in fear of the crust drying out but maybe I'll give it a shot just leaving it in longer

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ishamael posted:

I had never heard of this before, so I looked it up. It sounds really interesting!

it is very good

also when i'm not using the detroit pans, i find i have to broil at 550 a bit to darken the top or get those leopard spots, whether it's for pizza or lasagna or what have you; two minutes should be good to that end

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Did a test run for lunch today, heating the stone at 550 then switching to broiler right before the pizza went in. The top darkened nicely after 5 minutes. Definitely going to continue down this path when the steel shows up.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Can’t beat cold burrata on a pepperoni pizza.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 19, 2022

rikshot
Jan 8, 2006

Its a pie, with two cheeses (mozz and emmental), two toppings (fresh chili and Palermo pepperoni), its been in the fridge for eons, and in the oven just for a blink of the eye.

EDIT: directions to actually dry mozz thats not pre-shredded are welcome (i have to dry this poo poo in my fridge)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Anyone tested the new Effueno 509s yet?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Tried the new KA 00 pizza flour and it's really good.

Used Kenjis NY pizza recipe (4 days of cold fermentation) and these came out great! Very easy to handle dough.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Tried doing a pan pizza. I was worried about burning the crust, I will let it go another couple more minutes next time. Half sausage, half "grinder meat" (something like italian beef, I'm not sure what exactly was in it other than beef and peppers) I found in the back of the freezer. Sausage side was fine, grinder meat side was amazing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The more you burn the edge the better it tastes. Blacken it right the hell up.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Decided to try making a thicker pizza today, instead of like 3 thin ones.

Came out pretty good.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Steel arrived in time for Sunday pizza and holy crap

Hands down the best pizza I've ever made. My wife and I were legitimately blown away. As I was cleaning up, I threw my stone of 5 years in the trash.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Cranked out 7 pizzas with the Ooni yesterday at a friend's BBQ, which is more than I've done at once before. Forgot to snap some pics of most of them, but here's one, pesto w/ anchovies:

Overall it was much less of an ordeal than doing even just 4-5 pies in a conventional oven due to how fast they cook. With the home oven I really had to be prepping the next pie while baking to keep the pies coming at a reasonable pace, while with the Ooni it was more a straightforward & less stress prep > bake > prep > bake workflow. Allowed me to wait until the current pizza was served to see if people were ready for another (after we were 4-5 pies + other BBQ deep), rather than having to anticipate if people would still be hungry while a pie was in the oven. It also wasn't much trouble at all to transport the whole setup: folding table, Koda 12 w/ carrying case, propane, cooler bag w/ dough/sauce/toppings, bag w/ peel and other accessories. Only really 2 loads of stuff to carry. A++ would buy again.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

bees x1000 posted:

Steel arrived in time for Sunday pizza and holy crap

Hands down the best pizza I've ever made. My wife and I were legitimately blown away. As I was cleaning up, I threw my stone of 5 years in the trash.

That's a good lookin pie right there! You had pretty much the same reaction I had, if I still had a stone I would have also immediately thrown mine out.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
There was a going away party for a chef friend of ours so we made a brisket and beef check Barbacoa pizza for her…

Missing the cilantro which was added after the photo, but otherwise it was a loving crazy good pizza.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

pan cheese bread

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Been on a brief hiatus as I was staying with in-laws and didn't have the effeuno to play with. This is the first pie since I'm back. Very satisfying cups but the dough wasn't my usual standard. I've been running the central heating lower since energy prices have poo poo the bed and I didn't compensate the yeast. The upshot was about half the rise I'd normally get during the room temp leavening.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ogopogo posted:

There was a going away party for a chef friend of ours so we made a brisket and beef check Barbacoa pizza for her…

Missing the cilantro which was added after the photo, but otherwise it was a loving crazy good pizza.

how do you always get your pizzas so perfectly round and even thickness

even if I roll mine out perfectly round they lose a bit of shape when I jiggle them to make sure they aren't sticking or move them into the oven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004