Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sixteen days off from work (or longer since i may get laid off / fired), and i plan to do some steelhead fishing on the river.

Any tips? I can use whatever help i can get, I have not caught a single fish on the river this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
For the last two decades I've been fishing just a couple times a year. I have moved to Minneapolis and have decided I have no excuse to not get back into fishing. Given the time of year I've grabbed my dad's old ice fishing gear.

The inline reels are simple cheap plastic and the rods just have the tip top guide. I would guess none of it has been used since the early 90's, possible the 80's. I'm sure the line is garbage, but wonder if the reels are worth keeping or if I should at least replace one or more with a spinning reel.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Dukket posted:

For the last two decades I've been fishing just a couple times a year. I have moved to Minneapolis and have decided I have no excuse to not get back into fishing. Given the time of year I've grabbed my dad's old ice fishing gear.

The inline reels are simple cheap plastic and the rods just have the tip top guide. I would guess none of it has been used since the early 90's, possible the 80's. I'm sure the line is garbage, but wonder if the reels are worth keeping or if I should at least replace one or more with a spinning reel.

Those old things would be fine for catching panfish, as long as they're still in working order. If you hook into a pike though, you'll probably wish you had something with a drag. I'd say give it a shot first. If you end up enjoying fishing, there will be plenty of time to go spend (all) your money on new gear.

Personally though, I'd say buy a spinning reel once you're sure you're gonna stick with it. You can use it for ice fishing, then transfer it over to a different rod once spring comes.

Btw, I just moved away from Minneapolis a few months ago, so let me know if you want any advice on specific spots. In Minneapolis proper my favorite lake was Nokomis. Should have a decent shot at seeing pike or walleye. If it's not iced over, the Mississippi south of Ford Dam is by far your best bet if you want to catch a walleye. The reason being that it's catch and release only, so you can't eat them unfortunately.

Do you have an auger?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Those old things would be fine for catching panfish, as long as they're still in working order. If you hook into a pike though, you'll probably wish you had something with a drag. I'd say give it a shot first. If you end up enjoying fishing, there will be plenty of time to go spend (all) your money on new gear.

Personally though, I'd say buy a spinning reel once you're sure you're gonna stick with it. You can use it for ice fishing, then transfer it over to a different rod once spring comes.

Btw, I just moved away from Minneapolis a few months ago, so let me know if you want any advice on specific spots. In Minneapolis proper my favorite lake was Nokomis. Should have a decent shot at seeing pike or walleye. If it's not iced over, the Mississippi south of Ford Dam is by far your best bet if you want to catch a walleye. The reason being that it's catch and release only, so you can't eat them unfortunately.

Do you have an auger?

That jibes with with I've been reading.

My recollection is that we use to catch pike using a heavy cord (with a leader) suspended from the ceiling of a shanty. That was a long time ago so its hard to say how reliable that memory is.

I will take any advice you have to offer. I'm hoping to find some folks to fish with, its always been a bit more of a social activity for me.

No auger, just a spud, which has always made me nervous. I'm hesitant to buy one until I've been out a few times, though I have to assume they are cheap on the 2ndary market in the twin cities.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Dukket posted:

My recollection is that we use to catch pike using a heavy cord (with a leader) suspended from the ceiling of a shanty. That was a long time ago so its hard to say how reliable that memory is.

That's amazing. I've never heard of that, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

For ice fishing, the best bait is generally minnows. Crappie minnows for crappie (:downs:), fathead or shiner minnows for walleye and pike (or big suckers if you're feeling bold). Though obviously sometimes big fish go for small bait, and vice versa. Wax worms are also a great general choice for panfish.

I can't offer much info for artificial bait, but keep the presentation small, and slow down the jigging. Fish are moving more slowly in the winter.

If you're using a spud, check ice conditions online. I wouldn't wanna have to chop through 2' with one of those. This time of year the ice around the metro should be less than a foot, though.

Here's a good general guide on ice fishing for crappie

If I were still in MN I totally would go out ice fishing with you, it's too bad.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Dukket posted:

That jibes with with I've been reading.

I will take any advice you have to offer. I'm hoping to find some folks to fish with, its always been a bit more of a social activity for me.

No auger, just a spud, which has always made me nervous. I'm hesitant to buy one until I've been out a few times, though I have to assume they are cheap on the 2ndary market in the twin cities.

You used a rattle reel. They're like tip ups - just as fun.

Edit: If you're in Minneapolis proper you can fish the Chain of Lakes, there's easy access and a few decent spots.

Mukulu fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 24, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

After the last trip of the year, I've logged 23 bream (mostly bluegill followed by pumpkinseed), 17 croaker, 17 largemouth, 4 bluefish, 4 channel cats, 4 sharks, 4 warmouths, 2 flounder, 1 black crappie, 1 spot, 1 toadfish, and 1 eel for 2018. Small potatoes to most "serious" fishermen I guess, but the best year I've had since I was a kid.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nice, that’s a good year imo. I did terrible this year, maybe 30 fish total, but juggling a wife and 2 kids and an engineering degree has been a lot for me haha. Curious tho, where are you from where they call some centrarchidae (bluegills and pumpkinseeds) “bream”?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

One dumb sanddab and about 50 crabs. I was out town without my equipment for most of the year.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Hooplah posted:

That's amazing. I've never heard of that, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

For ice fishing, the best bait is generally minnows. Crappie minnows for crappie (:downs:), fathead or shiner minnows for walleye and pike (or big suckers if you're feeling bold). Though obviously sometimes big fish go for small bait, and vice versa. Wax worms are also a great general choice for panfish.

I can't offer much info for artificial bait, but keep the presentation small, and slow down the jigging. Fish are moving more slowly in the winter.

If you're using a spud, check ice conditions online. I wouldn't wanna have to chop through 2' with one of those. This time of year the ice around the metro should be less than a foot, though.

Here's a good general guide on ice fishing for crappie

If I were still in MN I totally would go out ice fishing with you, it's too bad.

Mukulu posted:

You used a rattle reel. They're like tip ups - just as fun.

Edit: If you're in Minneapolis proper you can fish the Chain of Lakes, there's easy access and a few decent spots.

We're in NE Minni, not far from the river and - what a 15 min drive to Chain of Lakes? It seems like everything is 15 min.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

If you're in NE, check out silver lake. I've never fished it, but apparently it has walleye.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

After the last trip of the year, I've logged 23 bream (mostly bluegill followed by pumpkinseed), 17 croaker, 17 largemouth, 4 bluefish, 4 channel cats, 4 sharks, 4 warmouths, 2 flounder, 1 black crappie, 1 spot, 1 toadfish, and 1 eel for 2018. Small potatoes to most "serious" fishermen I guess, but the best year I've had since I was a kid.

I dunno man, that sounds pretty good to me!

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 24, 2018

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Hooplah posted:

If you're in NE, check out silver lake. I've never fished it, but apparently it has walleye.

That is one I've been scoping out on google maps. There are so many lakes.

If anyone in the area is willing to spend some time fishing with a dude who is a bit rusty, pm me.

I'm just excited to be able to go camping so close to home, I'm used to having to drive three hours.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

One dumb sanddab and about 50 crabs. I was out town without my equipment for most of the year.

6 largemouth and one yellow catfish. My favorite fishing spots have been blocked off, had houses built on them or were destroyed by hurricanes in the last couple years. I haven't really had the time or money to look for new ones either, though google maps has shown me a couple nice spots that might be worth picking up a decent set of waders to go check out. And the local fishing pier is finally going to be fixed after Hurricane Hermine. Maybe in 2019 I can do more. :shobon:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 25, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I got a few pumpkinseed, a few blue gills, a chain pickerel, and a few bass

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Okay this is starting to sound fun I'll estimate my catches for the year too. I didn't ever count so this is a total shot in the dark.

6 walleye, 5 crappie, who knows how many sunfish+perch, a few northern pike, like 10-15 combined small/largemouth bass, around 5 rock bass, 10-ish fw drum, a huge smallmouth buffalo, a few carp, one flathead catfish, some baby channel catfish, a yellow bullhead, 5-10 each striped surf perch and sanddabs, a couple sculpins, and a lil copper rockfish. A good year, imo.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

This year's catch: one terrible fisherman.

Slight :nws: https://imgur.com/c7YFW2n

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If you've never hooked yourself, you haven't been fishing for long. My favorite is still my dad getting an ear full of hooks after my uncle went too far back on his backswing with a big rear end crankbait. 3-4 people fishing with 7'6"-8' rods in a 16ft boat gets interesting real quick.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

If you've never hooked yourself, you haven't been fishing for long. My favorite is still my dad getting an ear full of hooks after my uncle went too far back on his backswing with a big rear end crankbait. 3-4 people fishing with 7'6"-8' rods in a 16ft boat gets interesting real quick.

I've never hooked myself past a barb but i've been spiked by more rockfish than I can count.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

charliebravo77 posted:

This year's catch: one terrible fisherman.

Slight :nws: https://imgur.com/c7YFW2n

Could probably just bite down on something and rip that out, it doesn’t look like it’s gone much past the barb.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm a wimp so I crush all my barbs. Doing less damage to the fish is just a bonus.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I've never hooked myself past a barb but i've been spiked by more rockfish than I can count.

Maybe I'm just bad at this, because I've hooked myself plenty through clothes and a couple times through flesh. If the barb goes into the flesh, I push it back out through the skin and snip off the barb and back it out.

Also, I get stabbed by a spine at least one out of every half dozen catfish I (or whoever I'm with) catch. Fuckers sting like hell.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I love the mystery spines on saltwater fish where you grab them in a seemingly safe location and it's get you. Of course you'd have one little spike right loving there!

I'm waiting on a new radiator for the XJ so I can get one more fishing trip in before new year's. Still trying to manage a tuna trip in the next few weeks. But it's iffy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah when I go Florida for 6 months and got some fishing in I was getting nailed left and right by all the weird non-west coast fish and their lust for my blood one drop at a time.

titties
May 10, 2012

Estimates for this year (so far):
40 assorted panfish
15 bass
10 perch
1 northern
1 rainbow

Hopefully we'll get into some crappie and pike on the ice this year, also still hoping to bring home some steelhead from the river.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

So close :argh:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Nice, that’s a good year imo. I did terrible this year, maybe 30 fish total, but juggling a wife and 2 kids and an engineering degree has been a lot for me haha. Curious tho, where are you from where they call some centrarchidae (bluegills and pumpkinseeds) “bream”?

North Carolina. They're pretty much all lumped in there aside from warmouth.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Keep the year end reports coming!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Same. The older folks on both sides of my family always called ‘em bream (‘brim’)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Warmouth does deserve its own distinction, what with having the most brutal name for a sunfish and all.

titties
May 10, 2012

I have a little pop-up shanty and I'd like to do some ice fishing. I've gone before, as a kid, but I've only ever cut my holes with an auger. I can't afford one right now, and I kind of don't want to hack through eleven inches of ice with a hatchet. Any low-cost suggestions?

I also don't know anything about heaters. Any recommendations on an inexpensive-but-not-totally-lovely heating solution?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

titties posted:

I have a little pop-up shanty and I'd like to do some ice fishing. I've gone before, as a kid, but I've only ever cut my holes with an auger. I can't afford one right now, and I kind of don't want to hack through eleven inches of ice with a hatchet. Any low-cost suggestions?

I also don't know anything about heaters. Any recommendations on an inexpensive-but-not-totally-lovely heating solution?

gently caress. When I get home I’ll grab a picture of my awesome little propane heater.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Warmouth does deserve its own distinction, what with having the most brutal name for a sunfish and all.

the little fuckers are metal as hell. They do not give a -gently caress- and they are easily one of my favorite fish to catch, as even a small one fights harder than a bass twice its' size.
This was the best warmouth of the year, caught on a big-rear end shiner. It was only on finding out later that he was probably close to the state record that I started carrying a scale.

While looking in there, this year also had my new personal best for a bass, juuuust at five pounds. He hit a senko that was about 12-15 inches from the shoreline in water so murky I didn't even know he was there.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah when I go Florida for 6 months and got some fishing in I was getting nailed left and right by all the weird non-west coast fish and their lust for my blood one drop at a time.

Gotta be careful cause we have some gnarly fish down here, like scorpionfish.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

titties posted:

Where do you live? If you live in a place that gets less than a foot of ice you could buy a hand auger for less than 50 dollars. Look on Craigslist and you could find one for like 10 bucks.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

titties posted:

If you can ignite a chunk of magnesium you can solve both problems!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Oh there's an idea, just put some ice melt in a pile

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Chainsaw with vegetable oil.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkAmWOgyQE

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

End of year report: Two cute brook trout and a whole lotta gross water plants.

Re: hooking yourself, I was taught to always wear glasses of some sort while fly fishing. The first time I went out I hooked the glasses and tore them right off of me while learning how to cast. Would have been a really nasty lesson had I not listened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Anyone got any fishing goals for 2019?

I’m still yet to get a tuna on my kayak so that’s high on my list. I’d also really like to catch a decent shark - not necessarily on the kayak though.