Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hi you broke the post options box again. Please just go back to a normal drat options window that lists everything, I should never have to scroll for three options.

Also turn off autocorrect in YOSPOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

How come the title bar doesn't recede on scrolling down? I like my vertical screen real estate :-) (keep the thin bar with the battery and carrier name, though)

Also, a really minor thing that bugged me was that if you trigger the menu button in the left hand corner (so that it lights up with it's onTap animation or whatever it's called), then continue with a right swipe, the menu doesn't open up. I was expecting that icon to double as a kind of dragging handle if that makes any sense... That is, you should be able to both click it and use it to start your right swipe dragging to open the menu from.

Which brings me to my last question: to solve the problem of the main menu being buried, could you not make it so the button always leads to the menu, and ios7 style swiping goes back like it currently does?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

Did the networking stuff change at all? I've been getting a lot more timeouts since the update, both on LTE and two different wi-fi networks. If I hit the back button and retry manually the thread always loads properly. Little network spinner in the title keeps going, eventually the original network request times out and I get an error box (same one given if I just let it sit and spin at "Loading..."

I had the same issue using the new app in a hotel. All my other internet apps were working fine but Awful was taking forever to load anything and timing out all the time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pokeyman posted:

Does it happen immediately when you press quote? Or after the compose screen slides into view?

It's immediate. It's also more frequent if there are multiple images in the post.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Is there a way to hide the navigation pane when holding it in portrat? I feel like only 40% of the screen is showing actual content. Even in landscape mode, the navigation pane is kind of big.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mulls posted:

Is there a way to hide the navigation pane when holding it in portrat? I feel like only 40% of the screen is showing actual content. Even in landscape mode, the navigation pane is kind of big.

Some sort of swipe action to hide the pane would be great.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I feel bad being so critical because the update is perfect on iPhone, and I bet it would look great on iPad, too. I don't mind using it in landscape until the next update. I just wanted to know if there wasn't some gesture that I hadn't discovered.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

4s running the most recent update. Getting a weird bug where the thread ratings in my bookmarks page keep changing. Specifically, gold threads will show up as having 4/5 gold bars. For example, every thread in this screenshot is gold when I check in a web browser but the bottom 4 don't display correctly. Silly but strange. Otherwise I love the update.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:
I tried the new app, but it was missing too many old things I loved about the older version. Hopefully I don't get poo poo on too hard for this, but you can use a program called PP25 to download an older version of this app (v.1.11.6) and put it back onto your iPhone and iPad.

I'll for sure keep giving the new version of it a try and stop using the old one once some more of the features have been added back.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ultimate Mango posted:

If I click a link in a thread to another thread, I can't get back to the original thread. Swipe to go back doesn't do anything and what looks like <> arrows up top just expands the pane with the thread to full screen. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything, this is another casualty of trying new navigation.

Minidust posted:

Is there a trick to getting the Instapaper login to work? I was able to log into the site on Safari fine just now, so I know it's not just me forgetting the password.

Someone else mentioned it's busted, so I think it's just busted right now. It's on the list.

xzzy posted:

Did the networking stuff change at all? I've been getting a lot more timeouts since the update, both on LTE and two different wi-fi networks. If I hit the back button and retry manually the thread always loads properly. Little network spinner in the title keeps going, eventually the original network request times out and I get an error box (same one given if I just let it sit and spin at "Loading..."

Networking stuff changed a bunch. Unfortunately I don't have a ready explanation for the weirdness you're seeing.

Fedule posted:

In the midst of all these real bugs, here's a trivial one: something weird is going on with thread ratings in the bookmark view, maybe the thread view too but I don't know.

Pay attention to Virtue's Last Reward, Dangan Ronpa 2 and Awful. Now refresh:

They've changed!

Something weird about parsing thread ratings. I'm surprised you're the first to mention it actually :) It's on the list.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

How come the title bar doesn't recede on scrolling down? I like my vertical screen real estate :-) (keep the thin bar with the battery and carrier name, though)

Nobody's implemented it yet.

thenotoriouspie posted:

I tried the new app, but it was missing too many old things I loved about the older version. Hopefully I don't get poo poo on too hard for this, but you can use a program called PP25 to download an older version of this app (v.1.11.6) and put it back onto your iPhone and iPad.

You won't get any poo poo from me! I'm not fixing any bugs in old versions though.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Is the app actually being tested by anyone with an ipad? Everyone posting about how great it is seems to have an iPhone. I saw an update today and thought "great, swiping must be back" but nope. Still nothing. This is a really frustrating feature removal :(

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Sudo Echo posted:

Or at least tell us who wanted hard mode off, so that we may shame them. It's the YOSPOS way

(Thanks for all the work you put into the app by the way)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

therobotking posted:

Is the app actually being tested by anyone with an ipad? Everyone posting about how great it is seems to have an iPhone. I saw an update today and thought "great, swiping must be back" but nope. Still nothing. This is a really frustrating feature removal :(

The update was a quick fix to squash some bugs and get it in before the app store review team goes on holiday break. While that will be addressed in the future there was just no time.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Aww I loved the pure black for dark theme.. Could we have a gray theme for this? I'm such a whiner

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I like the swipe right from the edge to go back to the bookmarks. Would it be possible to add a swipe left from the edge to return to the thread if you leave on accident? The android version has this feature and it's nice so I don't have to go back into the thread and go back one page.

Thanks. Otherwise, great update. Keep up the good work.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
Is there any way to go back to the thread I was reading after I click on a quote or post link? (I'm on iPad.) I used to be able to do that with the top level back button thing. Also, I wanted to +1 the comments about navigation on iPad portrait mode being way worse - if I could open up the forum/bookmarks bar over top the posts without having to reach to the upper left, that would be awesome. It would also help if the bar automatically went away after I picked a thread from it - I can't see any reason why any one would want to try and read posts with it open in portrait mode.

Edit: Oh, and please don't make navigation reliant on any swipe-from-edge gestures. With the case I have on my mini (otterbox) it makes it really hard to do those.

Oct 1, 2013

Just wanted to pop in to say the app won't let me view any of the first posts on FYAD. As in, I open a thread, and the second post is the earliest one shown. The "previous posts" option is greyed out as well, and my only option is to open the thread in Safari or Chrome. This doesn't happen in GBS or YOSPOS. Otherwise, I like the updates aside from a few bugs already mentioned by other posters.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Or at least tell us who wanted hard mode off, so that we may shame them. It's the YOSPOS way

(Thanks for all the work you put into the app by the way)

There were a bunch of YOSPOSters complaining a about not being able to spell things properly now. As a fellow non-speller I felt the need to assist my brothers. Auto-capitalization for sentences is still off, and version 2.next will lowercase any autocorrections with dirty tall letters in them.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Aww I loved the pure black for dark theme.. Could we have a gray theme for this? I'm such a whiner

I also loved the pure black theme but I'm sure I'll adjust to the grey.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I might bump down the post color in the dark theme a very light smidge, but I like there being some depth in that theme vs. everything being black. Since the change I'm actually a dark theme full timer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Dave posted:

I might bump down the post color in the dark theme a very light smidge, but I like there being some depth in that theme vs. everything being black. Since the change I'm actually a dark theme full timer.

I like it as well.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Loving the new dark theme

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah the new dark theme looks great. Don't change it :D

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Maybe it's just me (and I scrolled back a bit to see if this had been brought up) but is there a way to delete bookmarked threads? I'm swiping the way I did in the previous version, but it doesn't seem to work.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Anya posted:

Maybe it's just me (and I scrolled back a bit to see if this had been brought up) but is there a way to delete bookmarked threads? I'm swiping the way I did in the previous version, but it doesn't seem to work.

Press and hold on the thread title. Swipe to delete hasn't been reimplemented yet.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Currently: Can't see ops in fyad
and attempting to open bookmarks crashes the app.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dark mode with the brightness turned all the way down is probably my new favorite way to view the forums. It contrasts well enough that it can still be dark, without being a solid blob of black.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bug report: I'm getting an "unknown error" when trying to log into Instapaper on the settings screen.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Oneiros posted:

Press and hold on the thread title. Swipe to delete hasn't been reimplemented yet.

Thanks! Actually, that looks pretty cool with the pop up menu when I do that. Overall, I like the look of the new app. Especially the dark theme, which seems better than the last dark theme.

Oct 1, 2013

Maybe already addressed: crashed when I sent a PM.

Lobster_Horde
Dec 21, 2012

FEEDING FRENZY
Thanks for working on this app, I use it quite a bit - barely browse on a computer.

Please please please turn the post options and account options back from swiping, it's terrible.

The page selector has gotten incredibly tiny as well, and I have trouble using it with my huge meat fingers. It's not as annoying as the swiping though.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

mulls posted:

I feel bad being so critical because the update is perfect on iPhone, and I bet it would look great on iPad, too. I don't mind using it in landscape until the next update. I just wanted to know if there wasn't some gesture that I hadn't discovered.

I figured out how to hide the nav pane. You tap the <> button in the top left of the content pane.

Now that I found that, the app is nearly perfect for me. Just some bug fixing over the next few updates, and id be totally satisfied.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lobster_Horde posted:

Please please please turn the post options and account options back from swiping, it's terrible.

Yeah agreed. Pushing for swiping still, but page swiping with dot indicators of what page you're on. We should probably support two rows in portrait too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

Also FYAD and GBS please.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Livingtrope posted:

Also FYAD and GBS please.

Can 3rd party apps even do this?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I was going to buy the archives upgrade and just wondering if there's any way for them to show up in the app?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

The three icons are not centred (but at least I don't need to scroll to see them ;) )

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheMightyHandful posted:

The three icons are not centred (but at least I don't need to scroll to see them ;) )
I didn't have to scroll to see all of those icons in 2.0.0, but updating to 2.0.1 broke that for me and now I do :(

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

The heading isn't centred properly as far as I know.

I know these are really nit picking, just OCD. (It's not quite as bad as the off-centre "1" in the calendar app)

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I didn't have to scroll to see all of those icons in 2.0.0, but updating to 2.0.1 broke that for me and now I do :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So, the update can't handle picture posts, it seems.

The new thing of literally adding the picture into the post you're composing (as opposed to just a line of code as before) is causing the app to slow down, and sometimes just crash. I made a post a few days ago, added a pic, and then could barely type because the app had become incredibly laggy.

Now today, I was making a quick post earlier, put three pictures straight from the camera, ie, fresh, not from the library, tried to post, and had the app crash. None of the pics had been saved into my photos, and I couldn't return to where I'd been to retake them.

Using a 4S here, and this is annoying. :(

• Locked thread