Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Lyon posted:

Had the devil's own luck this morning. Flying a 5:10 AM out of PHL and I overslept and didn't get to security until 4:40 and of course security is packed with all the Monday morning travelers so I figure I'm totally hosed.

As I debate running from A to B to see if security is any better there they announce the pre-check line just opened. I never signed up for pre-check because I'm an idiot and US Airways doesn't automatically give you pre-check if you have status. Luckily this flight was booked as an American flight so I check the boarding pass and it has the pre-check symbol. I did a little dance that I'm sure anyone watching was amused, confused, or appalled by and was the second person in line for pre-check.

Not sure what I did to deserve that luck but holy poo poo, definitely one of my closest (self inflicted) calls.

I did the exact same thing once (don't get drunk the night before an early flight). Made it from waking up at home, packing, to in my seat at ORD in 65 minutes. Of course that wouldn't work any more because ORD changed how it does pre check and it takes 15 min to get through where it used to be < 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This is my contractually obligated reminder to say that if you are considering getting TSA Pre you should just get Global Entry instead. $100 instead of $85 and will be worth it for one international trip.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's worth $15 alone to not have to deal with TSA during the application process.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Barry posted:

It's worth $15 alone to not have to deal with TSA during the application process.

I can't imagine an in person CBP interview is all that much better, but I've never done the TSA Pre only.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can't imagine an in person CBP interview is all that much better, but I've never done the TSA Pre only.

My GE interview was "can I see your passport?" They didn't ask me about travel, criminal history, or nothing. Now, I've had probably 5 background checks done in the last 4 years and about 3 rounds of fingerprinting, so maybe that was just me. Less than 15 minutes.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The CBP guy at my interview @ SFO knew gently caress all about the Pre program, and seemed surprised when I told him the GE TTN would get me into Pre as well.

FunOne posted:

My GE interview was "can I see your passport?" They didn't ask me about travel, criminal history, or nothing. Now, I've had probably 5 background checks done in the last 4 years and about 3 rounds of fingerprinting, so maybe that was just me. Less than 15 minutes.

Same here.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I never had to interview for GE, but I did for Nexus. I had to talk to a surly Canadian guy for like 5 minutes assuring him that I wasn't going to steal any Canadian jobs. As soon as he was done the American guy sitting next to him grabbed my passport and put the GE sticker on the back page for me. Easy peasy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My local CBP post (Logan) had the worst scheduling availability of all time and I had to go for my interview when I was co-incidentally in Chicago.

The interview wasn't that bad, though. Figuring out all the places I've lived for the past 5 years was a challenge.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is my contractually obligated reminder to say that if you are considering getting TSA Pre you should just get Global Entry instead. $100 instead of $85 and will be worth it for one international trip.

Counterpoint: Global Entry interview queues can go up to "months" and may not be available anywhere nearby. But yes: I regret not getting this yet.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My local CBP post (Logan) had the worst scheduling availability of all time and I had to go for my interview when I was co-incidentally in Chicago.

The interview wasn't that bad, though. Figuring out all the places I've lived for the past 5 years was a challenge.

Yeah, that part sucked. I think I had 7 addresses to list in that 5 year span. Thank god for Amazon holding on to all my prior shipping addresses.

Ynglaur posted:

Counterpoint: Global Entry interview queues can go up to "months" and may not be available anywhere nearby. But yes: I regret not getting this yet.
You just need to check back every day to see if something opens up. For me, I was able to pretty much walk into the office at the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit for my interview, and then walk into the office at the Montreal airport for my retina scan.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 21, 2015

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Regardless of which interview might actually be better/worse, I loathe the TSA so any way to not have to interact with them is worth it.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Depending on how much you care about having GE quickly, you can simply check the schedule for available dates every day to try and pick up a cancelled spot. I ended up getting an interview slot a few weeks out from my application date (as opposed to a few months) and it was relatively painless. It's good for 5 years, too, which is nice. I'm not working in a business travel heavy role anymore but it is nice to get precheck every time I fly to visit family or vacation on my own or whatever. Haven't done any international travel since leaving the job though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Depending on the station, it can also be possible to simply show up and they'll put you through without an appointment. This is by no means guaranteed, but I know a couple of people who were successful at the smaller stations (CLT and AUS).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I live in CT, hours from the nearest GE interview place. :negative:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The tsa people for pre check only aren't actually tsa though. It was some contractor at a regus office suite.

I have pre not ge but only because I've never gone international and don't have a passport.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Not having a passport is a bit alien to me. What if you just need to pop over the border for something?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

I live in CT, hours from the nearest GE interview place. :negative:

You have to love this page they put up, just to give false hope:
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-centers/connecticut

They do it in Warwick, RI now, although the hours are pretty terrible. Tue-Thu only.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

smackfu posted:

You have to love this page they put up, just to give false hope:
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-centers/connecticut

They do it in Warwick, RI now, although the hours are pretty terrible. Tue-Thu only.

Really? That's still better than Rochester.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Not having a passport is a bit alien to me. What if you just need to pop over the border for something?

If you live 1000 miles from the nearest border this is less of a problem than you might think.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had a flight out of YYZ, so I stopped in at the NEXUS office there to get the eye scan added to my profile. My initial interview was done in the US, so they only collected fingerprints there.

Good thing I did, on the return flight I must have bypassed a couple hundred people at passport control.

They have a NEXUS lane at security, but all it really does is let you skip part of the line. Not like TSA Precheck, but at least it's guaranteed as long as you have your card.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Not sure if this is the *exact* right thread for this, but thought I'd ask.

I'm looking for a bag that can organise my cables while I'm travelling.

I have mostly small cables - USB cables, a macBook charger, etc. I'd like a travel big, similar to a toiletries bag, that I can use to put all these in without them getting lost in the corners of my Krumpler bag.

I'm willing to pay upwards of $50 for something. Any suggestions?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Depends on how organized you are with your cables and your system.

You can use a pencil case with Velcro ties or a samsonite with zippers. For me I actually have 2 bags for electronics. A larger one for computer chargers, universal plugs and maybe power bar. And then a much smaller one for memory cards, USB sticks, smallee usb cables and camera batteries and head phones.

I generally follow the philosophy of containeriztion and love putting bags within bags for versatility but I lose out on potential maximum space.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

caberham posted:

I generally follow the philosophy of containeriztion and love putting bags within bags for versatility but I lose out on potential maximum space.

This is my strategy. I often travel with a bunch of pens, markers, colored pencils, drawing scales, chargers, USB sticks and other crap; my bag would be nightmarish if things weren't contained. It also means you can rearrange or dig around for stuff in a plane or at a job site without looking like a total mess.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

CelestialScribe posted:

Not sure if this is the *exact* right thread for this, but thought I'd ask.

I'm looking for a bag that can organise my cables while I'm travelling.

I have mostly small cables - USB cables, a macBook charger, etc. I'd like a travel big, similar to a toiletries bag, that I can use to put all these in without them getting lost in the corners of my Krumpler bag.

I'm willing to pay upwards of $50 for something. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need a Tom Bihn snake charmer!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My one big tip is to buy the 100 pack roll of Velcro ties on Amazon. $5 for 100 instead of $5 for 5 or 10 like the retail packs.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

gently caress yes, this is exactly what I need. Thank you!

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Not sure if this would be the best place to ask - I am trying to get some clarification on how PQMs are calculated by United. I flew from GRU to IAH (8,105 base miles) on BusinessFirst and yet I was only credited 7,331 PQMs for that flight segment.

I assumed that regardless of class, PQMs were always granted at least by the actual amount flown. That happens when flying on Star Alliance partners - for example, I flew GRU to Zurich on Swiss, also on Business, and received 8,948 PQMs (base miles were 5,965 for that trip).

What exactly is the policy is when flying United and when flying on Star Alliance partners? If PQMs are less than actual miles flown when flying United, it appears it will always be more advantageous, from a PQM perspective, to fly on Star Alliance carriers rather than United itself, defeating the purpose of the MileagePlus Program in the first place.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Not sure if this would be the best place to ask - I am trying to get some clarification on how PQMs are calculated by United. I flew from GRU to IAH (8,105 base miles) on BusinessFirst and yet I was only credited 7,331 PQMs for that flight segment.

I assumed that regardless of class, PQMs were always granted at least by the actual amount flown. That happens when flying on Star Alliance partners - for example, I flew GRU to Zurich on Swiss, also on Business, and received 8,948 PQMs (base miles were 5,965 for that trip).

What exactly is the policy is when flying United and when flying on Star Alliance partners? If PQMs are less than actual miles flown when flying United, it appears it will always be more advantageous, from a PQM perspective, to fly on Star Alliance carriers rather than United itself, defeating the purpose of the MileagePlus Program in the first place.

If you flew in paid business, you earn 150% PQM based on the mileage of the flight. UA publishes that flight at 4887 miles, giving you 7331 PQM for the segment. Not sure where you got the base miles of 5965 from, unless you're looking at the RDM count which is now based on the amount you spent on the ticket rather than mileage flown.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This is really cool.

My Tumi bag came with a electronic cord pouch and it comes in really handy. I like the size on this, I carry a smaller notebook so I can put this in the laptop space vertically and slide my notebook in next to it. I also second the roll of Velcro ties, I keep a roll in my bag at all times.

http://www.abt.com/product/66834/Tumi-0042BLACK.html

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

skipdogg posted:

This is really cool.

My Tumi bag came with a electronic cord pouch and it comes in really handy. I like the size on this, I carry a smaller notebook so I can put this in the laptop space vertically and slide my notebook in next to it. I also second the roll of Velcro ties, I keep a roll in my bag at all times.

http://www.abt.com/product/66834/Tumi-0042BLACK.html

Yeah I agree.

I'm on the fence of buying this as well...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Picking up an amenity kit bag on ebay is a lot cheaper for the same utility. You can even get one of the Delta ones and still have the Tumi name and exact same material as long as you pick it up before people sell out of them, since they redid their kits a few months ago.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Mackieman posted:

If you flew in paid business, you earn 150% PQM based on the mileage of the flight. UA publishes that flight at 4887 miles, giving you 7331 PQM for the segment. Not sure where you got the base miles of 5965 from, unless you're looking at the RDM count which is now based on the amount you spent on the ticket rather than mileage flown.

You are right - I mistook the RDM for the PQM, and their numbers (and yours) are correct. Thanks!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

You are right - I mistook the RDM for the PQM, and their numbers (and yours) are correct. Thanks!

Hooray math! ;)

In other news, another company asked for my resume and I'm awaiting the scheduling of interviews. It's a director level position so that's cool, but it would mean an end to my business class trips to China. Requal would be in question... :ohdear:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

Hooray math! ;)

In other news, another company asked for my resume and I'm awaiting the scheduling of interviews. It's a director level position so that's cool, but it would mean an end to my business class trips to China. Requal would be in question... :ohdear:

Does the new gig involve travel? If no, congrats, you won the game!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Mackieman posted:

Hooray math! ;)

Stockholm Syndrome post of the year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mackieman posted:

Hooray math! ;)

You'll get over it, I'm sure.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Welp, got my first ticket in a rental car for being 25 cents short on a toll.

What happens now? Do I try to pay the ticket before Hertz notices it, or do I need to alert Hertz? What are the Hertz admin fees on something like this? Interestingly, I don't have an actual ticket in hand, just a "No Cash Violation" from MassDOT, which says that an official violation notice will be mailed to the registered owner's address (Hertz?) in 20 days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least for National, they take care of it, invoice you through your credit card on file, and charge you a $25 processing fee. I wouldn't worry about it; you can't do much since the ticket is going to go to the holder on file.

Also, get a toll pass.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

Welp, got my first ticket in a rental car for being 25 cents short on a toll.

What happens now? Do I try to pay the ticket before Hertz notices it, or do I need to alert Hertz? What are the Hertz admin fees on something like this? Interestingly, I don't have an actual ticket in hand, just a "No Cash Violation" from MassDOT, which says that an official violation notice will be mailed to the registered owner's address (Hertz?) in 20 days.

What'll probably happen is Hertz gets a ticket in the mail, tells the police who had the car when the violation occurred, then sends you a bill for $25 administrative fees and tells you to expect a ticket. Then you get the ticket and deal with it as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you can avoid the DOT sending out the ticket by paying it then you'd avoid the administrative fee. Unsure if this is possible in this specific case, but I've avoided the admin fee for a parking ticket by paying the ticket online.