Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When you say Nikkor, are you specifically looking for first party lenses? If so, you’re missing out on a word of really good stuff made by other companies these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

When you say Nikkor, are you specifically looking for first party lenses? If so, you’re missing out on a word of really good stuff made by other companies these days.

In all honestly, I've only been doing this for a year or so and have zero idea what to look for or what's good outside of Nikkor lenses. I'm super open to info and guidance!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh poo poo my bad, I forgot to put in my post that I have a D3400. The 70-300 is definitely catching my eye.

(I assume you are talking about the AF-P DX VR version)
I've also been looking at this lens. It seems pretty amazing for the price but I'm put off by the plastic mount. I've also looked at the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD which seems to have a higher end build quality however its a much older lens and I think its slower to focus

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
:heysexy: I've got a 55-200 for sale and I live near you ish

But, real talk, depends on where you want to go in the future; if you're set on moving up to full frame, then buy the full frame version of the lens now.
If you aren't, then you've got a lot more choices.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Obligatory warning: Be very very wary of old sigma and tamron lenses, especially the 18-200/250/300 superzooms, the coating on the front goes slightly yellow or green so you get this weird hue and sometimes distortion. The latest versions don’t have that problem though.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

wow do we ever need a new thread title

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean... there wasn’t ever a D400. Thread prophecy came true.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
“Why is this flash $600”

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

wow do we ever need a new thread title

It and the OP are perfect and will never change (just like Nikon and Canon camera lines)

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Anyone waiting on a d850? If you've had one how is it performing? I foresee a few more iterations of DSLRs (maybe a D6 et al) before Nikon move towards MILC flagships.

I'm quite content with owning an F5 as a penultimate film SLR, anyone think the D850 is going to be superseded?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I think if Nikon's rumored MILC camera doesn't come out soon and be good you won't see too many more iterations of DSLRs because Nikon makes good cameras but poor choices (much like my posting). The P&S market is dead and the entry level DSLR market wants mirrorless or good video or probably both, those are the cameras that actually pay their bills. It's not a good time to be a camera division that is expected to turn a profit.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Father O'Blivion posted:

If you've had one how is it performing?

It is, by far, the best DSLR Nikon has ever made.

Father O'Blivion posted:

anyone think the D850 is going to be superseded?

We're on the same wavelength.

I wrote a thing about it on my dumb blog.

http://petedillon.com.au/blog/2018/1/27/a-legend-in-the-making

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I await Nikon’s mirrorless cameras with joyful glee because then I will finally be able to afford to upgrade my D300 with a cheap full frame with bugger all shutter actuations.

EVFs aren’t all that they are cracked up to be, imo they hold learners back, and at no point while using a DSLR have I thought “come on you laggy piece of poo poo” while looking through a viewfinder.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

learnincurve posted:

I await Nikon’s mirrorless cameras with joyful glee because then I will finally be able to afford to upgrade my D300 with a cheap full frame with bugger all shutter actuations.

EVFs aren’t all that they are cracked up to be, imo they hold learners back, and at no point while using a DSLR have I thought “come on you laggy piece of poo poo” while looking through a viewfinder.

Counterpoint: new evfs are really good. I use a Nikon DSLR at my dayjob and constantly wish it had the same wysiwyg as my Fujis. A live histo would also be great for the kind of work I do, which is ecommerce product photography in a high volume shop.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh no doubt the live histogram is great. :) EVF isn’t bad at all by any means, most of my cameras are mirrorless. I just have a feeling that a lot of the non-pro Nikon/Canon people are going to be disappointed because the EVF will be the big big advertising draw, and when the novelty has worn off they are going to realise the actual picture quality is the same on mirrorless as it is on a DSLR with the camera set to auto, and that they look at the back screen most of the time anyway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If they made an FX mirrorless with no glaring flaws and a native 35mm available I would snap it up at launch. FX DSLRs are heavy and annoying.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The D850 is fantastic. I'd says it's not just the best DSLR Nikon has ever made but the best DSLR ever end stop. I agree with the legend in the making thing—this is probably the last time a DSLR is the pinnacle but drat is it good. I'm sure Nikon will continue making DSLRs for a couple generations but I gotta think mirrorless is going to take over.

Whether or not Nikon is a player in that world we'll see, but I sure hope they are. I've bought and sold off several different mirrorless systems thinking I'm going to replace my Nikon gear but still don't like anything else anywhere near as much.

edit: the rumors swirling about the new Nikon mirrorless are really promising to me though. Supposedly a really excellent F-Mount adapter and the EVF are two of their high priority R&D areas. The scuttlebutt is that Nikon didn't think current EVF tech was up to par so they're putting a lot of time into refresh rate, resolution, lag, etc.

powderific fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 4, 2018

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Hi I'm still using a loving D3100 that I've had since high school

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Boy are you about to get a nasty surprise when you find out how Nikon deliberately gimp the shutter life in their low end cameras.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Didn't quite wanna post "Hi been using X camera forever, what's new and cool/what do I buy next" but that's a good answer

I'd heard rumblings about shutter life being something that wears out over time but wasn't sure how to diagnose if mine was indeed shittered or not

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://www.camerashuttercount.com

D3100 has an average shutter life of 31,000 but the majority of them are dead by 35,000

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

indyrenegade posted:

Didn't quite wanna post "Hi been using X camera forever, what's new and cool/what do I buy next" but that's a good answer

I'd heard rumblings about shutter life being something that wears out over time but wasn't sure how to diagnose if mine was indeed shittered or not

You'll be able to tell if it's shittered by the fact that the camera won't take photos anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone ever bought a refurb lens off bhphotovideo before? The 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 is only $179 USD and I'm curious if I'm gonna regret this.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I bought a refurbished Nikon body and used lens from them and had no problems, but picked it up in person. Nikon has it in stock for $130, I believe.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm in Canada so have to ship (I have a US postal address across the border too), but where did you see it for $130??

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/refurbished-camera-lenses/af-p-dx-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4.5-6.3g-ed-refurbished.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rad, thanks! My only issue is that's not the VR one like the bhphotovideo refurb. Given the zoom I think I'm gonna pay the bit more for VR because I'm 99% I'll want it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The non-VR version is garbage.

Spend the extra :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeast posted:

The non-VR version is garbage.

Spend the extra :)

Already did, it's on the way :) Ty thread!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

powderific posted:

The D850 is fantastic. I'd says it's not just the best DSLR Nikon has ever made but the best DSLR ever end stop. I agree with the legend in the making thing—this is probably the last time a DSLR is the pinnacle but drat is it good. I'm sure Nikon will continue making DSLRs for a couple generations but I gotta think mirrorless is going to take over.

I just spent 3 weeks in Africa with a bunch of other photographers. I use Canon, but goddamn I'm jealous of the D850.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

learnincurve posted:

https://www.camerashuttercount.com

D3100 has an average shutter life of 31,000 but the majority of them are dead by 35,000

Where does this average life number come from, because nikon claims 100,000 tested life for these cameras (I have a D3200).

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My SO is getting back into photography after a good while off and this will be her first time getting really into digital. Wondering if maybe any of you can give me any insight since I can't really offer her any worthwhile advice myself and so she's mostly been getting different stories from different people pushing certain models. She's pretty much down to either the Df or D750, and though price really isn't a big issue, I guess my question is - is there really any good reason to go with the Df aside from that it looks cool as gently caress? She was leaning that way until the latest person she talked to told her it wasn't a great camera, but is that just because it's a few years old now? I don't really have any stake in this, I'm just trying to solicit unbiased info from people that aren't trying to sell her one camera or the other so that I can try to be helpful if asked.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The 750 is an amazing camera. The Df is for people that wish they could afford overpriced Leicas but can't.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Seconding the 750, it's a great well rounded camera that should work in pretty much any situation she would use it in. I've been quite happy with mine.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 750 is the better camera (and is a great camera period) so unless she's super jazzed on the DF's looks or has a stack of pre-ai lenses somewhere she should go for that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The looks are literally the only thing the Df's got going for it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Thanks everyone, I will pass that all along. Sounds like that's all pretty much consistent with what the shop told her, and how she was leaning anyway. I think she (and I) were just taken with the Df's look before she actually started looking into it. She doesn't have many old lenses or anything, so she'd be starting over either way. Thanks again

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LBR if the Df were remotely as competent it'd be a good choice on looks alone but the d750 outclasses it handily

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Df looks sexy as hell though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Out of curiosity, what was your SO doing photography wise on film, and what is the expectation of what she’ll be doing now? What lenses were you thinking of getting, and what’s the total budget?

Because yeah, the 750 is a great camera - it’s why a ton of pros use it, and people who are really into it as a hobby. If that’s the aim, then go for it... otherwise maybe consider not diving into a $2,000 full frame model that’ll command a lot of money when it comes to lenses to get the most of it. The Nikon DX ranger has a lot of great cameras that are much cheaper, and if the choice is between getting a solid DX model and a fantastic set of lenses, or going full frame and having to cheap out on lower quality glass I would at least consider not going full frame.