Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
can one of u terrible programmers make a programme to snype even better than i already do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Nelson MandEULA posted:

can one of u terrible programmers make a programme to post even better than i already do?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

camh did

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
done

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique
i am a terrible programmer can i post here?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

you can but please don't

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

u mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
tomcat and glassfish are both servlet containers, right? should i care about picking one or the other? (i mean, for my immediate purposes, i definitely don't need to care, but i figure i ought to understand things a little bit)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

glassfish is a java ee container so it has a bunch of extra poo poo compared to tomcat. basically use tomcat unless you need glassfish...if you need glassfish, you'll know

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you don't need glassfish. it is an open sores java ee implementation + app server. last i checked glassfish actually has its own tomcat fork inside of it, just to provide the servlet container feature.

99% of the java ee stuff you might actually want to use, you will just pull down as a library and include in your application.

there are very few scenarios where you would prefer to have that stuff provided by your container

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 3, 2014

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
When most people hear java ee they think httpservlet which means tomcat. this is wrong, but it doesn't actually matter cause no one anywhere has ever needed a complete java ee stack.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I went to a jboss training thing at jboss world and the entire thing was about removing crap you don't need from the standard jboss configuration.

jboss world taught us that we had no use for jboss.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
let's say you want a java EE feature. say, JPA. people actually use jpa. so you write some code against standard jpa apis and it is time to deploy it.

if you have a hundred thousand dollar j2ee app server license:
  1. add your jpa dependency to maven
  2. mark its scope as "provided"
  3. pray there are no bugs in the vendor implementation. you're gonna want to do some regression testing.

if you are just using tomcat/jetty:
  1. add hibernate-jpa dependency to maven

also hibernate is the reference implementation, and it's probably the implementation you developed against on your desktop. so it is probably less buggy than the j2ee scenario to start with

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 3, 2014

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

is there a particularly good/standard way to store a postgres db on an external hd, if it's reasonable to do so at all? i have a project where i want to work with openstreetmaps data using postgis, but the entire osm file for just north america is about 130gb, and while i could probably force the space to be available on my rmbp, it'd be sort of unreasonable. i don't have any other machines available to me right now.

i came across this answer but haven't tried it yet. also i know it'll probably take for loving ever to load that data but i'm just curious if it's possible.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
set up a fixed/permanent DB server in your house, then use an ssh proxy to query it remotely when you are on the road

Innocent Bystander
May 8, 2007
Born in the LOLbarn.
what happened to them sweet backpack hard drives i heard so much about after ghost busters came out?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

tomcat and glassfish are both servlet containers, right? should i care about picking one or the other? (i mean, for my immediate purposes, i definitely don't need to care, but i figure i ought to understand things a little bit)

GlassFish is dead, Oracle has killed commercial support for it after 4.0 was released and are now migrating people to webfail. But more importantly Notorious b.s.d. is right, you don't need a full J2EE Application Container, just use Tomcat or Jetty.

https://blogs.oracle.com/brunoborges/entry/6_facts_about_glassfish_announcement

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Janitor Prime posted:

GlassFish is dead, Oracle has killed commercial support for it after 4.0 was released and are now migrating people to webfail. But more importantly Notorious b.s.d. is right, you don't need a full J2EE Application Container, just use Tomcat or Jetty.

https://blogs.oracle.com/brunoborges/entry/6_facts_about_glassfish_announcement

you scared me for a minute there

glassfish isn't dead. it remains the java ee reference implementation for java ee 8 (if that ever comes out)

oracle just isn't going to sell support contracts for it

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you scared me for a minute there

glassfish isn't dead. it remains the java ee reference implementation for java ee 8 (if that ever comes out)

oracle just isn't going to sell support contracts for it

The writing is on the walls, having two competing application servers doesn't make sense for any company. Also no support contracts means no bug fixes until they make another release, and the open source cycles are dog slow. I give it maybe 1 more release before Web Logic becomes the reference implementation and GlassFish is axed.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Janitor Prime posted:

The writing is on the walls, having two competing application servers doesn't make sense for any company. Also no support contracts means no bug fixes until they make another release, and the open source cycles are dog slow. I give it maybe 1 more release before Web Logic becomes the reference implementation and GlassFish is axed.

the reference implementation will have to be open source for political reasons. they're not going to open source weblogic, just like they didn't open source jrockit and discontinued source releases of official oracle java.

as with openjdk, i expect to see glassfish be open source and actively maintained, but no support contract offered.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

just finished up a day of learning javascript

jfc :stare: how is the internet still even working when it's running on this poo poo

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

coffeetable posted:

jfc :stare: how is the internet still even working when it's running on this poo poo

uhh my internet runs on c++, java, and oddly maybe some prolog every once in a blue moon.

i imagine when im hitting some startups poo poo there might even be a little erlang in there.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

coffeetable posted:

spend another day with it and then switch to coffee script

also you really actually have to write your functions within the closure for them to work you cant write the function elsewhere and call it from within the closure it wont work, even if it makes your code 100x more readable

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

FamDav posted:

uhh my internet runs on c++, java, and oddly maybe some prolog every once in a blue moon.

i imagine when im hitting some startups poo poo there might even be a little erlang in there.

hello 2004

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MeruFM posted:

hello 2004

he didnt say flash

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

spend another day with it and then switch to coffee script

any books you'd recommend

lookin at this one right now cause its reasonably short but covers a full toolchain (which'd be nice because i dont know arse from elbow when it comes to web-y things)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont think you really need a book for coffee script, i just spent a few hours on the website

http://coffeescript.org/

it's literally just semantic sugar over javascript, so if you get a book on something, get a book on javascript.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
coffeescript is terrible and already on its way out. i wouldnt bother to be more than passingly familiar

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
It's a lot better than writing javascript

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

what about typescript

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i find it no better than js, and the whitespace sensitivity chafes me

fortunately, it's passe as gently caress and i don't hear js guys talk about it anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're writhing javascript or any of its dialects you hosed up.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

into every life, a little rain must fall

in every .net app, a little js is written

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i find it no better than js, and the whitespace sensitivity chafes me

i think it comes entirely down to personal preference then.

i mean i'm not a javascript connoisseur i just want to get the job done. the less time i have to spend thinking about javascript, the better, and coffeescript enables that.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if your life involves a non-trivial amount of javascript it's time to pack it up and move to a hermitage

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i was just thinking about learning it because i like webpages that react/feel alive and as far as i know (bad programmer) js it the way to do it

should i learn something else instead or just auto-cloister asap

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
knockout js was a surprisingly not terrible experience. got the job done quick and clean.

now onto d3.js

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

coffeetable posted:

this is what i've been asking myself for years

Shaggar posted:

amen

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

into every life, a little rain must fall

in every .net app, a little js is written

this is why i must sin

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Corla Plankun posted:

i was just thinking about learning it because i like webpages that react/feel alive and as far as i know (bad programmer) js it the way to do it

should i learn something else instead or just auto-cloister asap

it's not 'the way to do it' it's the only way to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

javascript things you "need" to know:
1) jquery
2)

• Locked thread