Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lotus circle posted:

New exclusivity deals, featuring Steve Orlando, Doc Shaner and Jesus Merino. I'm not too familiar with Jesus' work, but Orlando and Shaner are amazing talents to lock up.

AHHHH!!!!!! Doc!
This is beautiful!

Clone him so he can stay on Hanna-Barbera and start Superman right away.

also Justice Lady League.

Hopefully he makes them hire Jordie Bellaire for all future work.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

AHHHH!!!!!! Doc!
This is beautiful!

Clone him so he can stay on Hanna-Barbera and start Superman right away.

also Justice Lady League.

Hopefully he makes them hire Jordie Bellaire for all future work.

Expressive faces are one of my favorite comics art things, and holy god drat.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Steve Orlando and Doc Shaner are incredible. Good on DC, can't wait to see what they do.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Swillkitsch posted:

Steve Orlando and Doc Shaner are incredible. Good on DC, can't wait to see what they do.

Be made to emulate David Finch? :v:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teen Titans Earth One Vol 2.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-cover-reveal-teen-titans-earth-one-volum/1100-155128/
Andy MacDonald is on art instead of Vol 1's Terry Dodson :/

quote:

After months on the run from the twisted project that created them, Cyborg, Terra, Beast Boy and Garth are near their breaking point, barely surviving on what they can steal, squatting in the ruins of an abandoned subdivision. But as they reach their lowest ebb, their creator, Dr. Niles Caulder, is ready to make his move…and they’re about to learn that they weren’t the only kids to go through Caulder’s twisted process! There are more children with powers out there, and unlike our heroes, they were raised for only one purpose—to be the living weapons Caulder wants ALL his Titans to be! Writer Jeff Lemire (GREEN ARROW, ANIMAL MAN) teams up with artist Andy MacDonald (THE NEW 52: FUTURES’ END) to deliver the next chapter in the Earth One series!

On sale AUGUST 10 • 144 pg, FC, $22.99 US

e:
This is weird. I'm looking in the Previews listings to make the new releases post and the solicited Cyborg #9 cover has Shaz in Captain Marvel duds, and must have got corrected.

Neat cover anyway!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 19, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, I was so hype for the first volume but hated it when I finally read it. Can't remember why, though. The only good Earth One was the second volume of Superman.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

WickedHate posted:

Man, I was so hype for the first volume but hated it when I finally read it. Can't remember why, though. The only good Earth One was the second volume of Superman.

Because it was a really boring Runaways ripoff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bumped into this.

Scott Snyder isn't writing a double shipping book, so he wasn't being coy about not doing Detective.

e: Reminder, the once-monthly comics are:
BATGIRL
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY
BATMAN BEYOND
BLUE BEETLE
EARTH 2
GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER
THE HELLBLAZER
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS
THE SUPER-MAN
SUPER SONS
SUPERWOMAN
TEEN TITANS
TITANS
TRINITY

From Snyder and Capullo's C2E2 panel that just wrapped up...
http://www.newsarama.com/28481-c2e2-2016-snyder-capullo-look-back-on-their-batman-run.html
"Snyder confirmed Batman will appear in his Rebirth project, but said it will not be Batman or Detective Comics."

Trinity it is.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 20, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Teen Titans Earth One Vol 2.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-cover-reveal-teen-titans-earth-one-volum/1100-155128/
Andy MacDonald is on art instead of Vol 1's Terry Dodson :/

e:
This is weird. I'm looking in the Previews listings to make the new releases post and the solicited Cyborg #9 cover has Shaz in Captain Marvel duds, and must have got corrected.

Neat cover anyway!

God, seeing them right next to each other really highlights how poo poo Shazam's costume is.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That tech-lightning bolt over the solid yellow is dumb and stupid.

The boot accent things are dumb and stupid.

The suit's chest and belt lines are dumb and stupid.

Is that the current official costume? The original version presented is better in every way.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I dislike the yellow over the bolt, but otherwise the modern costume totally beats the original, which looks like something a Star Trek admiral would wear.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I dislike the yellow over the bolt, but otherwise the modern costume totally beats the original, which looks like something a Star Trek admiral would wear.

Shazam will command as many drat Starships as he pleases thank you very much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

His name is Captain Marvel he's allowed to dress like he's commanding some kind of vessel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I guess my main problem with it is the wrap around button thing. I'm a hip kid who doesn't like stuffy old men uniforms.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

That's one of the best parts!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What makes Billy's costume awesome is that it's what a dorky, nerdy kid in the 40's would think a cool adult would wear. Cap's suit is awesome. And the current suit looks good when Gary Frank draws it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I only really like the old one more then the new one because the new one looks like he should be powered by the experimental super-computer S.H.4.Z.4.M. and not magic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

I only really like the old one more then the new one because the new one looks like he should be powered by the experimental super-computer S.H.4.Z.4.M. and not magic.

Would read the gently caress out of this.

Bl4ck 4dam has stolen my powers!

Have you tried turning them off an on again?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The button thing is nice to set him apart from every other DC character whose look is just spandex with their logo on it.

The new look isn't that terrible but the lightning logo is awful and the boots are probably the worst superhero boots I've ever seen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rebirth stuff isn't leaking enough :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This statue tones down the obnoxious parts a bit but it does highlight the forced design language they've forced on everyone.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh, does he not even have his cool cape that goes to one side anymore? That's some wack bullshit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

Oh, does he not even have his cool cape that goes to one side anymore? That's some wack bullshit.

He has a hood now, fair trade?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I don't think Power Girl even has hers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The gold stripe makes me think of the current Pepsi logo for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The Captain in Captain Marvel is literally because he is supposed to resemble a military officer. It is why there are also Lt. Marvels.

The new one is a horrible vomit mess of random poo poo. If you want to redesign Captain Marvel then look at military uniforms. Also not those boots. Those boots are second only to Supergirl's stupid boots in terms of awful awful design.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 21, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Does the Kirby krackle in his lightning bolt supposed to be moving or is it presented as a static design? I like the new look when telling contemporary stories, but there should always be a Thunderworld style Earth out there where you can tell golly gee whiz style stories with the Big Red Cheese.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Multiversity Too is (maybe??) still coming, so cross your fingers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

I'm imagining this as a very late '90s annual written by Karl Kesel, where it turns out that Brother Eye is built from the remains of the Rock of Eternity by Captain Marvel, probably after Darkseid destroys it. OMAC turns out to be a manifestation of the Captain Marvel Junior power.

e: It's built mostly with Amazon technology and maintained religiously by Amazons, because the powers of the Marvel Family are the last vestiges of the Olympian gods, all slain by Darkseid. Mary Marvel leads the Amazons and the "Brother" part comes from her relationship to Captain Marvel.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 21, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I think making Marvel look more like a regular spandex wearing hero just makes him even more forgettable for me. I'm not a Captain Marvel fan at all but his half cape thing and uniform stood out at least. Now I could honestly mistake him for some alt universe version of Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I don't think Power Girl even has hers.

No but they covered the boob window with a Superman S so it's a fair trade.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Rhyno posted:

No but they covered the boob window with a Superman S so it's a fair trade.

Actually no.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You know, if Marvel's costume was good enough for Elvis it's good enough for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beefstew posted:

Actually no.

Oh wah wah, they desexualized a character, how dare they.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Rhyno posted:

Oh wah wah, they desexualized a character, how dare they.

No, it's a bad costume change.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beefstew posted:

No, it's a bad costume change.

Not really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah it's fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Power Girl is probably the one case besides Emma Frost where I'd argue the costume is kind of integral now, because it's informed so much of how the characterisation has been developed. Like, it wouldn't make sense if Emma Frost started wearing smocks and never left a single button undone, but you wrote her personality as exactly as it's always been, and the same with PG. You can't have her established character but ditch one key way she'd express herself and have it be totally contrary to that personality.

Plus, it's kinda the same problem Black Canary has. I'm not against changing the outfit for Canary in principle, but in practice, all the alternate ones SUCK. And yes, nerds, that includes the stupid wetsuit one from Dixon's BoP. It made her look like she was doing scuba lessons and didn't have time to change, not like she meant to wear it for fighting. Just slapping the S on the existing PG outfit is the best of a bad lot, but it still looks pretty bad because it's so clearly not meant to be part of the design.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 21, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Canary's BoP suit was a great update actually, she's only back in fishnets because of nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gaz-L posted:

Power Girl is probably the one case besides Emma Frost where I'd argue the costume is kind of integral now, because it's informed so much of how the characterisation has been developed. Like, it wouldn't make sense if Emma Frost started wearing smocks and never left a single button undone, but you wrote her personality as exactly as it's always been, and the same with PG. You can't have her established character but ditch one key way she'd express herself and have it be totally contrary to that personality.

Using Emma Frost as an example, I'd say there are definitely aspects about a character's costume that have to stay consistent through any modification, but not that any character has a costume that cannot undergo significant alterations. Emma would look really weird wearing casual clothes or battle armor true, but I don't think anyone would mind if she wore a different totally impractical yet fashionable outfit that happen to not show off her cleavage.

Powergirl would look weird with any significant changes to her color pattern or with long hair but the actual literal boob window I'd say is totally mutable.

• Locked thread