Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Aramek posted:

Way back when, they layed out their annual release plans. One pack every quarter. Two are zone packs, one is just new dungeons, and one is a legit expansion.

So they found a way to squeeze more cash out for DLC like Orsinium. Sad, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Smoove posted:

What's a good level to start looking into running dungeons? I've tried Google but seems to only find the incomplete wikis. Just passing level 12 with my stamsorc and getting involved with the Thieves Guild, all the sneaking around has me wanting to pull my hair out.
I need some mindless button mashing to balance it out.

Is there a guild on Xbox I can get an invite to?
GT: UprBdyViolence
Character: Smuuve

I started around lvl 20 or so and did a couple dungeons with guild goons, it was pretty awesome. Got a bunch of XP and upgraded some gear. Couple of levels later I ran in some pugs and it was also ok. The day after the new DLC was released I ended up with a bunch of pugs that wanted each other to post all their CP160 gear and tried to make me feel like a piece of poo poo for only being level 27. "He's literally not even healing", "I'm just self-healing, cuz this fuckwit isn't doing anything at all!" whatever the gently caress. I was spamming heals the whole time but was just built all wrong. After talking with goons later that night I respecced and I feel like I'm probably way more versatile.

I'd say start as early as you can and just start learning as you go. After those last couple lovely groups I did some research and realized that yeah I was probably a pretty lovely healer. The could have given better criticism than just saying I was too low level, but it was at least a learning experience.

TL:DR gently caress em, go whenever you're able and just learn from it it if it sucks.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Inspector 34 posted:

I started around lvl 20 or so and did a couple dungeons with guild goons, it was pretty awesome. Got a bunch of XP and upgraded some gear. Couple of levels later I ran in some pugs and it was also ok. The day after the new DLC was released I ended up with a bunch of pugs that wanted each other to post all their CP160 gear and tried to make me feel like a piece of poo poo for only being level 27.

I'm almost CP200 and I just did my first dungeon today with goons. Between all the other MMOs I've played a lot of (WoW and FF14 mostly), ESO is easily the worst community (outside of the goon guild) and is the reason I've avoided a lot of social content.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If someone is giving you poo poo in normals it is most definitely because they suck. Outside of the DLC dungeons (maybe not even then after the downtuning they got in the recent update) if you genuinely know what you're doing you should be able to carry a group through any of the normal dungeons.

Unless you're all like level 25 or whatever then yeah, bicker amongst yourselves. But if you're like CP 400+ and getting mad at people its honestly on you (though yeah I've been in some bad groups but I prefer to just carry them and share all the embarrassing details in guild chat instead of berating people)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

That said don't try to PUG vet dungeons until you're CP160 for 2 reasons 1) any gear you get you'll just outlevel shortly anyhow and 2) you aren't going to really be ready for them

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

That said don't try to PUG vet dungeons until you're CP160 for 2 reasons 1) any gear you get you'll just outlevel shortly anyhow and 2) you aren't going to really be ready for them

I was pugging vets from CP1

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

JackBadass posted:

I was pugging vets from CP1

Ok, you and literally eveyone else (when there were vet ranks that were an absolute slog to level through) whats your point?

Now you blow through your first 90 or so cp in a few hours, and 160CP takes less than a week (or a day if you grind it out). The point still stands that it is better to wait until CP160 for the drops and, more importantly, to ensure a smooth experience for the other 3 people in your group.

That said, the 4 man dungeons are pretty much a joke difficulty wise save for the HM Hist dungeons and these new Reach ones.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Again, literally no reason to ever do vets, even in preformed groups, until you are c160+. All the loot are the same sets, and the only things that only drop in vet are things you should only ever have maximum level for.

It's more work and less fun for no additional award.

Smoove
Aug 13, 2012

...and goes down easy
I'll stick my head in there tonight and see how it goes, I'm afraid if I get into PvP I'll never do anything else like any other MMO ive played outside of Age of Wushu, and you had to PvE to get the skills you need.

Guess I'm boned on there being an Xbox guild it seems

Smoove fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 17, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Not really. Loom up DaedricDandy on xbone and tell him Dori sent you

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Aramek posted:

Again, literally no reason to ever do vets, even in preformed groups, until you are c160+. All the loot are the same sets, and the only things that only drop in vet are things you should only ever have maximum level for.

It's more work and less fun for no additional award.

Bullshit. 2 keys.

a dope wizard
Sep 6, 2010

"weed owns" - me, 2010
In the game as Futadude, send me an invite please!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

haha wow, infected posters still exist

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So I haven't really played this game since around launch and I am looking for some advice on what class/build to play.

I am looking for a class that I can play almost entirely for PvE, PvP doesn't interest me. I'd like it to be able to solo well, because grouping outside of dungeons or something doesn't interest me either.

I've read about Magplar??? and that seems interesting, but I'd like some input and opinions from people before I choose. Some basic guidance on what types of weapons to use as well as where to allocate my attribute points, as that seems to be a major point of contention among the different guides I've read.

Basically, I'd like to be able to hit poo poo hard in a solo play style and maybe be able to heal or tank if those are viable options to run as a secondary thing?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So are Magblade sap tanks no longer a thing anymore?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ModeSix posted:

So I haven't really played this game since around launch and I am looking for some advice on what class/build to play.

I am looking for a class that I can play almost entirely for PvE, PvP doesn't interest me. I'd like it to be able to solo well, because grouping outside of dungeons or something doesn't interest me either.

I've read about Magplar??? and that seems interesting, but I'd like some input and opinions from people before I choose. Some basic guidance on what types of weapons to use as well as where to allocate my attribute points, as that seems to be a major point of contention among the different guides I've read.

Basically, I'd like to be able to hit poo poo hard in a solo play style and maybe be able to heal or tank if those are viable options to run as a secondary thing?

mag sorc and stam sorc are both really good in group and solo since you can heal yourself really easily through crits

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Another question about the actual engine performance.

Whenever I login to play the game is unfuckingly godly choppy, literally unplayable, for about 5-10 minutes, then it suddenly runs smooth as butter.

The really hosed part of this is, if I open any UI panel at all, it's perfectly smooth until I close the UI.

Has anyone had this experience, and if so how do you fix it?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ModeSix posted:

Whenever I login to play the game is unfuckingly godly choppy, literally unplayable, for about 5-10 minutes, then it suddenly runs smooth as butter.

The really hosed part of this is, if I open any UI panel at all, it's perfectly smooth until I close the UI.

What add-ons are you using? If you're using master merchant and haven't logged in for a few days, it will do that as it reconciles a bunch of the sold items.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

ModeSix posted:

Are you on PC and are you using addons? I have an addon that utterly tanks the game's performance when it's gathering data.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
Trying out the game and would like an invite to the NA guild: @Snaugrim

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

MF_James posted:

What add-ons are you using? If you're using master merchant and haven't logged in for a few days, it will do that as it reconciles a bunch of the sold items.

Just Skyshards. Nothing else.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

ModeSix posted:

any class can do solo pve perfectly fine as long as you stick to some basic guidelines

first thing you have to decide is whether you want to hit things with sharp objects or with magical staves (stam or mag). if you go mag you're going to want to wear light armor, stamina is medium armor. put all attribute points into either stamina or magicka as youre leveling up

you can use any weapon regardless of class but this is more or less how it breaks down for roles in pve:

magdps: lightning staves and/or a fire staff (ice staff is for tanking)

stamdps: dualwield or 2hander on front bar, bow on back bar

if you're stamdps you can passably tank in a pinch if you have an add-on that lets you manage loadouts by switching to all heavy armor and sword and shield on both bars.

magdps can similarly do the same with being a healer by swapping your back bar with a restoration staff and slotting more healing abilities. or i guess maybe equip frost staves and tank but ive never done that so cant recommend it personally

wardens are the new class added in the morrowind chapter and they're a little unique in you can actually pull off a bow/bow stamdps build or provide decent off healing as a stamina user in pugs due to a cheap and strong healing ult and stamina morphs of healing abilities

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

MF_James posted:

MM is garbage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

JackBadass posted:

MM is garbage.

Ok?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Ok?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Good hot take from you, do you have reasoning behind it? I use it and like it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MF_James posted:

Good hot take from you, do you have reasoning behind it? I use it and like it.
Maybe he's trying to capture the perfect roe market on PC instead of PS4 this time and doesn't want anyone else to be able to use MM to track sale data as easily :shrug:

I also like and use MM.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Has anyone tried warden stam-healing as their main thing? Would it be viable to keep a group alive in a dungeon? A veteran dungeon? I'm playing Bow/Bow (though I might switch to DW/Bow, thanks to the generosity of goons!) and have always enjoyed healing. Plus I'm an Argonian, which doesn't do poo poo for my build at the moment, but has a lot of nice healing bonuses. Can a stam-healer carry a group, or am I being stupid?

I should probably learn to DPS first, lol.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

thinking about it you probably could, but people would get real mad at you, so you definitely should

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
I would like advice on leveling an Imperial Dragon Knight from level 20 to 50 with the intention of tanking dungeons down the line (level 40+).

Should I level the character as a DPS or just go tank right away and queue dungeons? If I go down the DPS route, given that my character is Imperial, should I stick with Stamina? Magicka DK was a lot faster to level to 20 than my Stamina DK and DK does not have many stamina morphs.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Has anyone tried warden stam-healing as their main thing? Would it be viable to keep a group alive in a dungeon? A veteran dungeon? I'm playing Bow/Bow (though I might switch to DW/Bow, thanks to the generosity of goons!) and have always enjoyed healing. Plus I'm an Argonian, which doesn't do poo poo for my build at the moment, but has a lot of nice healing bonuses. Can a stam-healer carry a group, or am I being stupid?

I tried it briefly on my bowden, with Vigor, Vines, Fungus and the ult. It works fine as long as you have another makeshift healer along, but I wouldn't want to run a vet as the only healer. Then again, I find healing as a templar to be daunting, so it may just be that I shouldn't play healers.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mercurius posted:

Maybe he's trying to capture the perfect roe market on PC instead of PS4 this time and doesn't want anyone else to be able to use MM to track sale data as easily :shrug:

I also like and use MM.

Nah, I'm out of the roe game.

MM prices are pretty inaccurate most of the time. TTC is much better.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

If you know how to hit an attack button, you're already a master of DPS.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Kryopsis posted:

I would like advice on leveling an Imperial Dragon Knight from level 20 to 50 with the intention of tanking dungeons down the line (level 40+).

Should I level the character as a DPS or just go tank right away and queue dungeons? If I go down the DPS route, given that my character is Imperial, should I stick with Stamina? Magicka DK was a lot faster to level to 20 than my Stamina DK and DK does not have many stamina morphs.

here's a fairly standard StamDK dualwield dps build: https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-build-pve/

ignore all the gear advice and other stuff and just scroll down to skills

stamDK is a pretty easy to get into class cause the rotation is very basic, your heavy attacks are your spammable, and because you heavy attack so much sustain is almost never an issue while you do a ton of damage

the molten armaments morph increase the damage of your heavy attacks by 40% (also gives you stamina and minor weapon damage boost with right passive)

venomous claw does more damage the longer it is up so gets pretty crazy by the end of its duration. bloodcraze is another DW dot that gets you back a bit of health over time. so what you do on your main bar is usually heavy attack > venomous claw > heavy attack > bloodcraze > heavy attack > flex skill (like venomous breath or blade cloak) swap to your bow bar to reapply all your bow DoTs then repeat on main bar

i usually pop molten armaments at the end of every bow bar rotation right before i swap back to DW to animation cancel it while regaining some stam and refreshing the duration

for overworld pve though you can pretty much just pop molten armaments and heavy attack stuff to death in no time cause you hit like a mack truck in one swing

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Digital Osmosis posted:

I was in a normal trial and one of the goons was a Stam healer. Actually the only I've ever seen. I like to imagine stamheals heal by flexing and shouting.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
So, I think I wanna buy a house. I haven't paid any attention whatsoever to housing while I've been levelling but now that I have 4750 crowns saved up (thanks ESO plus), I think I'd like to buy one. But I literally have no clue at all how anything housing-related works, and was hoping that goons could point me in the direction of some sort of up-to-date guide, or answer some of my dumb questions (or both?!):

• What houses are considered to be good or bad value for money? I don't want to blow all my crowns on something that sucks. What do people generally look for when determining 'value' anyway?
  • How does the furniture system work? Can I only craft my own furniture with the random furniture recipes I see dropped around the place, or can I buy it from guild stores too?
  • Why have I seen certain furniture recipes be sold for extreme amounts of cash? What makes a furniture recipe so valuable to people?
  • How do you even craft your own furniture? I'm assuming it works similar to the other crafting lines, however I've not seen a furniture crafting NPC that I'm able to visit to pick up the skill line so I'm a little confused by that
  • When I buy a house, where do I buy the crafting stations and 'practical' stuff?
  • Is it worth buying a fully furnished house, or is that generally considered to be lame because it's all pre-fab stuff and lacks character? That would be my assumption, but I thought I'd check because again, I don't wanna waste all of my crowns on garbage.
  • Is this going to be a massive gold-sink? I have 120k gold right now that I've accumulated while levelling. What's a good way to farm more gold to afford to get myself a bunch of cool furniture?
  • Any other stuff I should know that I haven't asked here? I was in someone's house on the weekend and they seemed to have some really awesome/unique pieces of furniture littered around his house that definitely didn't look like they were included with the house - is that all playermade? Are there vendors that sell unique furniture etc?

Sorry, I know it's a long list. Any help would be massively appreciated

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Google Faunter's ESO house price list. It's a Google spreadsheet that answers some value for money questions but I can't get the app to give me the share link

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Cathab posted:

So, I think I wanna buy a house. I haven't paid any attention whatsoever to housing while I've been levelling but now that I have 4750 crowns saved up (thanks ESO plus), I think I'd like to buy one. But I literally have no clue at all how anything housing-related works, and was hoping that goons could point me in the direction of some sort of up-to-date guide, or answer some of my dumb questions (or both?!):

• What houses are considered to be good or bad value for money? I don't want to blow all my crowns on something that sucks. What do people generally look for when determining 'value' anyway?
  • How does the furniture system work? Can I only craft my own furniture with the random furniture recipes I see dropped around the place, or can I buy it from guild stores too?
  • Why have I seen certain furniture recipes be sold for extreme amounts of cash? What makes a furniture recipe so valuable to people?
  • How do you even craft your own furniture? I'm assuming it works similar to the other crafting lines, however I've not seen a furniture crafting NPC that I'm able to visit to pick up the skill line so I'm a little confused by that
  • When I buy a house, where do I buy the crafting stations and 'practical' stuff?
  • Is it worth buying a fully furnished house, or is that generally considered to be lame because it's all pre-fab stuff and lacks character? That would be my assumption, but I thought I'd check because again, I don't wanna waste all of my crowns on garbage.
  • Is this going to be a massive gold-sink? I have 120k gold right now that I've accumulated while levelling. What's a good way to farm more gold to afford to get myself a bunch of cool furniture?
  • Any other stuff I should know that I haven't asked here? I was in someone's house on the weekend and they seemed to have some really awesome/unique pieces of furniture littered around his house that definitely didn't look like they were included with the house - is that all playermade? Are there vendors that sell unique furniture etc?

Sorry, I know it's a long list. Any help would be massively appreciated

1. In my opinion, Domus Phrasticus (the medium house I mistook for a large) is the best value. Imperial-style two-story with a sizeable courtyard, for 295,000. But, ultimately this comes down to personal preference. The Argonian and Bosmer-style houses have the best prices relative to their size, but the curved walls and sloped floors are a real challenge to work with, and I don't recommend them unless you're okay with spending a lot of extra time delicately nudging objects to conceal floating/clipping.

2. You craft your own stuff from recipes or buy it from guild stores. Most furniture recipies require proficiencies in multiple crafts, and a lot of different materials, so making your own is probably more trouble than it's worth if you aren't a subscriber. I know a shitton of recipes and don't mind making stuff for goons in exchange for materials.

3. Rarity and style popularity determine recipe prices. Redguard furniture is cool and fancy and everyone likes it, so those recipes tend to fetch the highest prices.
4. See #2.

5. You purchase crafting stations (and various other rare stuff) with vouchers you get from completing master writs, or from guild traders. Master writs are rare rewards you get from completing max level crafting writs, and tend to be a pain in the rear end to complete, so if you haven't been playing for very long, guild traders are your only realistic option.

6. I don't think it's worth buying a furnished house, but then filling the house with stuff I've made myself is a big part of the fun for me.

7. Oh yeah.

8. In addition to all the crafted stuff—Zanil Theran is a luxury furnisher NPC who shows up in the Hollow City every Saturday/Sunday, and he has a rotating selection of furniture you can't craft. There is also furniture with achievement prerequisites in every region, sold by an achievement furnisher.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 22, 2017

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If you want to get I to housing I recommend getting one of the free ones (the st. Delyn penthouse in vivec is the best) and learn recipes and get crafting and by the time you can fill the thing up and be satisfied with it then get one of the apartments (Mournhold apartment is good starter home with decent space, right next to writs/crafting stations and a short walk to Undaunted enclave and horse trainer) or small homes

Buying right away one of the big Manors just when you're getting started can be pretty daunting cause making furniture isn't cheap or fast thing to do (requires a ton of mats + maxed out crafting skills)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Crowns are on sale 50% off