Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Preechr posted:

I would really appreciate the ability to drop a space habitat onto a planet as a bombardment option.

Can't put habitats around habitable planets so that option would be kind of useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Argas posted:

Wouldn't it be lovely if you could trade food to an Empire whose citizens you ground into food?

As far as I know, you can.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm in a war between my enormous federation bloc and the other enormous federation bloc. My main fleet gets its rear end kicked near one of the wargoal worlds. I look around for my allies. Every single allied fleet, like 300K strong, is bombarding the gently caress out of one world on the rear end end of nowhere. Not a single troop transport is moving anywhere near it.

The main enemy fleet is about to bombard and recapture a wargoal world. Guys... could yall maybe... help out here... guys... :negative:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 5, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm in a war between my enormous federation bloc and the other enormous federation bloc. My main fleet gets its rear end kicked near one of the wargoal worlds. I look around for my allies. Every single allied fleet, like 300K strong, is bombarding the gently caress out of one world on the rear end end of nowhere. Not a single troop transport is moving anywhere near it.

The main enemy fleet is about to bombard and recapture a wargoal world. Guys... could maybe... help out here... guys... :negative:

would be nice if you could like, ping targets for allied/federation war efforts

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm a little confused with some things in the Star Trek mod. Ships use way more of your fleet capacity, and when you advance to the next era your existing ships don't change to the new models and there's no way to upgrade them.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Anticheese posted:

Dang. And you purged the Preserve. That's cold.

Hot take, better to be purged than be put in some gilded molestation cage for a FE to drool over. Who knows what they do to them there!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Namaer posted:

I'm a little confused with some things in the Star Trek mod. Ships use way more of your fleet capacity, and when you advance to the next era your existing ships don't change to the new models and there's no way to upgrade them.

Ships use more fleet capacity but they also seem to be a lot meatier than the vanilla counterpart, especially once you start getting some of the advanced designs. Which is good, because they're also super expensive.

Also I kind of like how the new models don't upgrade- having a mixed fleet of federation ships imo looks cooler (and more reminiscent of scenes out of star trek!) than a series of identical ships all lined up. At least the innards upgrade, so it's just a visual thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Argas posted:

Wouldn't it be lovely if you could trade food to an Empire whose citizens you ground into food?
Food is food and you can trade food now. If you haven't been watching the DLC preview streams cknoor (who's playing genocidal xenophage starfish) keeps sending Wiz (who's playing kind and friendly starfish) large food gifts as he conquers and processes each species.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 5, 2017

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What's the name of the Star Trek mod?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Star Trek New Horizons: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068&searchtext=

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thank you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Ships use more fleet capacity but they also seem to be a lot meatier than the vanilla counterpart, especially once you start getting some of the advanced designs. Which is good, because they're also super expensive.

Also I kind of like how the new models don't upgrade- having a mixed fleet of federation ships imo looks cooler (and more reminiscent of scenes out of star trek!) than a series of identical ships all lined up. At least the innards upgrade, so it's just a visual thing.

It does keep with the show in that sense. In the dominion war you frequently saw a bunch of old ships alongside newer models.

I know STNH mod is very much in Alpha but was there really meant to be so many placeholders? I got the Space Seed event twice and it just said space_seed_event.desc and various other poo poo like that. Even the faction descriptions are WIP. Makes me think I didn't install it right.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

skooma512 posted:

It does keep with the show in that sense. In the dominion war you frequently saw a bunch of old ships alongside newer models.

I know STNH mod is very much in Alpha but was there really meant to be so many placeholders? I got the Space Seed event twice and it just said space_seed_event.desc and various other poo poo like that. Even the faction descriptions are WIP. Makes me think I didn't install it right.

That definitely sounds wrong. All the species have descriptions of various size in my version. Most of the stuff that literally says WIP for me seems to be in the tech tree, other than that I only stumbled on a single event that had a missing text line

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

skooma512 posted:

I got that too but it seems to be a bug. Most the placeholders I've seen are icons and descriptions. There were a lot more at one stage trust me.

I really think they have over egged the tech system though, far too many techs for a three category three tech draw system. They need a new category or more drawn as default.

In Stellaris you mostly get the tech you were hoping to see in a couple of draws, though sometimes the game doesn't like you and it takes more. In STNH I research an upgraded phaser tech and then don't see it again for like 300 years.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Namaer posted:

I think the idea is to reflect how ships in Star Trek tend to be far less numerous. No one in Star Trek has giant fleets of hundreds of ships except under the most dire of circumstances.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I think the Dominion War was the worst conflict in regards to scale? Looking at the start point for that Star Trek mod, starting small and eventually working up to that scale sounds like a solid way to keep the game from chugging while making the era's feel distinct.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Thyrork posted:

I think the Dominion War was the worst conflict in regards to scale? Looking at the start point for that Star Trek mod, starting small and eventually working up to that scale sounds like a solid way to keep the game from chugging while making the era's feel distinct.

During the Dominion war that cool scene where there's like poo poo tons of federation ships they are like "Benjamin, if we do this and you're wrong, we will be defenceless!". Also counter intuitively it's doing the opposite to what Stellaris is doing.

Paradox were like "Hmm there should be a reason to build corvettes and destroyers etc even late game" and made a system that does that. These guys do what has happened in tsar trek lore and said "It's loving space with lasers, theres no reason ever to fly a small ship".

What is a bit lame is the romulan cloaking devices at the moment just give a massive boost to evasion. As far as an abstract concept goes this is kind of OK, apart from it doesn't hide your fleet's movement and it doesn't give you a short term boost to damage at the start of the fight to represent the sneak attack.

It does mean you can get like a cruiser with 40% evasion though which is pretty funny.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
There's no reason to build corvettes and destroyers once you get cruisers in stellaris though?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

There's no reason to build corvettes and destroyers once you get cruisers in stellaris though?

If you had fleet of cruisers and battleships only I could, in theory destroy them with corvette with torpedoes because you'd struggle to hit my ships but I would do massive damage to you.

Its best to always have a mixed fleet

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Am I the only person who's hype to watch the GDC presentations by the Stellaris AI dev and the Paradox exec?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kitchner posted:

If you had fleet of cruisers and battleships only I could, in theory destroy them with corvette with torpedoes because you'd struggle to hit my ships but I would do massive damage to you.

Its best to always have a mixed fleet

I thought cruisers-corvettes was still fine or is that destroyers-corvettes?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

If I'm reading the Paradox forums correctly, either all torpedo corvettes as cheap as possible or all cruisers with 2 shield capacitors and all shields is the current thinking.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm still learning not to put too much trust in threat values. A fallen empire woke up, and I decided to just try attacking them with the intention of reloading after my fleet was destroyed. Imagine my surprise when my 100k 16/16/32/32 blob annihilated their 140k fleet (albeit with only 17 battleships left at the end). Did I just get lucky in that kinetics are the best counter to fallen empires?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

If I'm reading the Paradox forums correctly, either all torpedo corvettes as cheap as possible or all cruisers with 2 shield capacitors and all shields is the current thinking.

Can I presume the point of the first is to outright overwhelm point defence/fighters? Or are they using Energy Torpedoes?

All Cruisers; a single design, or multiples?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GotLag posted:

I'm still learning not to put too much trust in threat values. A fallen empire woke up, and I decided to just try attacking them with the intention of reloading after my fleet was destroyed. Imagine my surprise when my 100k 16/16/32/32 blob annihilated their 140k fleet (albeit with only 17 battleships left at the end). Did I just get lucky in that kinetics are the best counter to fallen empires?

It depends on the empire in question. Depending on their type they use different designs and I assume you went against a shield heavy AE that your kinetics could eat through in short order.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

What's the name of the Star Trek mod?

:aatrek:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

In theory you could have a fleet that was entirely destroyers and battleships, or corvettes and cruisers. The logic is that both these combinations share the same combat AI, so right now half your fleet tears off after the enemy while the other half stays back.

If you had destroyers and battleships everything would hang back and engage at maximum range and the destroyers should take care of any frigates.

Frankly though the whole system still needs a lot of work. They've tried to make smaller ships relevant by going the EVE route, talking about turret tracking and the like, but ultimately how well you turret tracks isn't really relevant when you're shooting someone from across the other side of the solar system, so it's not particularly intuitive.

There's also pretty much no reason to have anything other than the infamous Paradox death stack which is a shame because I think is instead of one big blob you had several smaller fleets it would be far cooler. There just isn't the need right now though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What if there was combat width in the game? At first glance it might not make much sense in space but really there should be a cap on how many ships can effectively maneuver and engage before you just end up in a clusterfuck where everyone is blocking each other.

Also, cruisers can take small guns that blow up corvettes fine can't they?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

What if there was combat width in the game? At first glance it might not make much sense in space but really there should be a cap on how many ships can effectively maneuver and engage before you just end up in a clusterfuck where everyone is blocking each other.

I've been harping on about this for a while. More than X ships in a system and returns start to nosedive, X goes up with techs/admirals/bases in the system etc.

There'd need to be a much more streamlined fleet system though, with auto-refilling etc.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fleet auto-filling would be dreamy. I don't particularly mind limitations on fleet size or diminishing returns on fleet sizes larger than X, with your proposed modifiers.

I've always liked the idea of having multiple utility fleets in Stellaris, sort of like HOI territorial deployment, but right now there's really no reason to do that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Poil posted:

Combat width doesn't make sense when like your fleet is at Earth and the fleet you're shooting at is at Mars.

The best cruiser to shoot at small ships would be a torpedo fore, a hangar middle, and a gunship stern which would give you 4 small guns, 2 point defence (which can do some damage small ships), and a hangar which could be used to shoot corvettes, plus a torpedo which won't hit corvettes in the slightest.

Or you could build two destroyers, with a gunship fore and a picket ship stern, which would give you a total of 4 small guns and 4 point defence which are for small ships and 1 medium gun which can sort of shoot small ships (or you could get another point defence). On top of that, destroyers get a bonus to their tracking meaning they are more likely to hit ships with high evade, such as corvettes.

This becomes more pronounced with scale. Say you have 10 of these cruisers. You have 40 small guns, 20 point defence, 10 fighter wings, and 10 (next to useless) torpedos. Your fleet of 20 destroyers though would have 40 small guns, 40 point defence, and 20 (not great) medium guns, all with a tracking bonus.

On top of that the computer systems in a cruiser give you bonuses to attacking up close and personal, I believe the destroyer combat computer gives even more bonuses to tracking.

The other alternative to building a single cruiser or two destroyers is simply to build 4 corvettes. If they have all small guns that's a total of 12 small guns, more than two destroyers even (less tracking bonus though).

So while in theory you could have these cruisers to kill small ships, you might as well just build twice as many destroyers who will do it better.

So in theory you could have loads of long range battleships and then destroyers (who don't Leroy Jenkins themselves into close range) and the destroyers could be built with 2 small guns and 3 point defence each to be super defensive against small things and torpedoes.

I always build my fleet as a ratio of 1:2:4:8. So for every battleship there are two cruisers, four destroyers, and eight corvettes. It's boring and a blunt instrument but it seems to work.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wanna ask a modding question: how do you actually get events to fire at the start of the game? I am using events that do exactly that as a template to apply defined modifiers to every regular empire in the game. I'm following events that do this as a template:

code:
	id = smallerfleets.1
	hide_window = yes
	is_triggered_only = yes

immediate = {
		every_country = {
			limit = {
				is_country_type = default
			}
			add_modifier = { modifier = "smallerfleets" days = -1 }
		}
         }
"smallerfleets" is defined as:

code:
smallerfleets = {
	navy_size_mult = -0.5
}
But it doesn't really matter what I modify. The event doesn't fire. I'm literally just filling in the blanks of events that do the same thing except they add a technology. That works fine. What am I doing wrong?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

Combat width doesn't make sense when like your fleet is at Earth and the fleet you're shooting at is at Mars.
But would it make the game more fun? SotS1's command points system makes zero sense but works perfectly for what it sets out to achieve and creates awesome space fights.

e: Obviously not suggesting porting over SotS1's system to Stellaris.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Requiring admirals for significant fleet sizes always seemed like a better way to address this. Fleets without admirals have to be pretty small, size of fleets scales with admiral skill, etc. You can only have as many of anything resembling a deathball as you have admirals, and each fleet is still going to be smaller than the monsters we have now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Requiring admirals for significant fleet sizes always seemed like a better way to address this. Fleets without admirals have to be pretty small, size of fleets scales with admiral skill, etc. You can only have as many of anything resembling a deathball as you have admirals, and each fleet is still going to be smaller than the monsters we have now.

Make it apply per battle instead or you can just dump multiple tiny fleets into one big battle. If instead the commanding admiral in a battle can only handle 20 or so ship capacity per level (more with tech and traits?) without taking accuracy penalties only then do you create a system that doesn't reward tedious fiddling to bypass it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Make it apply per battle instead or you can just dump multiple tiny fleets into one big battle. If instead the commanding admiral in a battle can only handle 20 or so ship capacity per level (more with tech and traits?) without taking accuracy penalties only then do you create a system that doesn't reward tedious fiddling to bypass it.
Making it apply per system would have a similar effect (Using the best admiral in the system as the commanding admiral for fleet cap purposes). Also allows you to bump up the cap depending on how good your planet or space station or defence station is.

"Tedious fiddling to bypass the effect" is why I don't play wormholes.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 6, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Splicer posted:

Making it apply per system would have a similar effect (Using the best admiral in the system as the commanding admiral for fleet cap purposes). Also allows you to bump up the cap depending on how good your planet or space station or defence station is.

"Tedious fiddling to bypass the effect" is why I don't play wormholes.

That's harder to do because you'd have to treat the entire system as an engagement zone rather than the way it works now. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it would completely change the game if any opposed forces in a system automatically engaged and make bypassing defenses and playing cat and mouse impossible.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Instead of applying the effect per system, then, you'd apply it per battle. The best admiral controls how many ships can effectively engage in a battle and beyond that you start seeing effectiveness drop off.

eta: If you're significantly outgunned or outnumbered, you might do it anyway, but I guess I'd want "effectiveness" to come down to things like sublight speed (oversized fleets are cumbersome) and defensive penalties so that you can throw more ships at it to overcome being at a disadvantage, but at the price of losing more ships. It's not something you can do consistently without putting a ridiculous burden on your economy.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 6, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

That's harder to do because you'd have to treat the entire system as an engagement zone rather than the system we have now. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it would completely change the game if any opposed forces in a system automatically engaged and make bypassing defenses and playing cat and mouse impossible.
Not engaged, just present. A good space station orbiting a planet increases the maximum effectiveness cap of the system due to being able to provide advanced telemetry or whatever, even when the space station is not itself engaged in it. The downside would be if reinforcements showed up on the opposite side of the system you'd take accuracy penalties straight away. Maybe per battle would work better, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kitchner posted:

True but it makes even less sense that you could fight at that range since it takes light a whole 3 minutes to travel the distance. Unless your projectiles and lasers travel much faster than lightspeed there's no way you could possibly hit a moving target other than by absurd luck.

quote:

The best cruiser to shoot at small ships would be a torpedo fore, a hangar middle, and a gunship stern which would give you 4 small guns, 2 point defence (which can do some damage small ships), and a hangar which could be used to shoot corvettes, plus a torpedo which won't hit corvettes in the slightest.

Or you could build two destroyers, with a gunship fore and a picket ship stern, which would give you a total of 4 small guns and 4 point defence which are for small ships and 1 medium gun which can sort of shoot small ships (or you could get another point defence). On top of that, destroyers get a bonus to their tracking meaning they are more likely to hit ships with high evade, such as corvettes.

This becomes more pronounced with scale. Say you have 10 of these cruisers. You have 40 small guns, 20 point defence, 10 fighter wings, and 10 (next to useless) torpedos. Your fleet of 20 destroyers though would have 40 small guns, 40 point defence, and 20 (not great) medium guns, all with a tracking bonus.

On top of that the computer systems in a cruiser give you bonuses to attacking up close and personal, I believe the destroyer combat computer gives even more bonuses to tracking.

The other alternative to building a single cruiser or two destroyers is simply to build 4 corvettes. If they have all small guns that's a total of 12 small guns, more than two destroyers even (less tracking bonus though).

So while in theory you could have these cruisers to kill small ships, you might as well just build twice as many destroyers who will do it better.

So in theory you could have loads of long range battleships and then destroyers (who don't Leroy Jenkins themselves into close range) and the destroyers could be built with 2 small guns and 3 point defence each to be super defensive against small things and torpedoes.

I always build my fleet as a ratio of 1:2:4:8. So for every battleship there are two cruisers, four destroyers, and eight corvettes. It's boring and a blunt instrument but it seems to work.
Cool, thanks. :)

• Locked thread