Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cabbage trip report:

I wilted the cabbage in soy sauce/vinegar/salt for 20 minutes or so to soften it. I think it got soft enough, and the results were good enough for me. However, I think leafy greens work better at least for tofu veggie dumplings. Leafy cabbage + green onions > western cabbage + root onions.

That and I should drain the tofu first. Plus covering folded dumplings with wet cloth/paper towel prior to freezing helps prevent cracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What does the straining do wrt supreme sauce and should I do it before I add mushrooms, etc.? I do have a mesh, but it's just liquids, roux, & seasoning. What gives?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Maybe their rouxs were lumpy.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m wanting to pressure cook a 5-6 pound chuck roast. How long would I want to pressure cook it? I have a basic presto cooker.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I received a deep fryer for the holidays so I've been having fun learning how to use it and trying stuff out. Peanut oil seemed like the best oil so I've been using that.

I've made fresh french fries, chips, fried corn tortillas, chicken fingers and some stupider things like a fried pop-tart and an eggo waffle. All was good but then I put a small (test) slice of frozen ham in there and it seemed to instantly wreck the oil, it got dark and cloudy. I didn't bread/batter the ham, and I didn't really expect it to turn out that tasty (it didn't), but I didn't think it'd ruin the oil! I did use the oil once again and it tasted fine but I'm not going to store it, it looks gross and like it will turn.

Peanut oil is expensive, so I have a couple questions...

- I went to order some bulk oil from Walmart and noticed the 3gal LouAna has some added stuff (TBHQ, citric acid, and dimethylpolysiloxane) compared to the smaller bottles which are 100% peanut oil. Are these chemicals desirable if my oil will probably sit for a while between uses? Or better to avoid?

- What should I avoid frying to preserve my oil as long as possible?

And any other deep fry tips and tricks? :D

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 31, 2017

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My first thought for prolonging your oil is to avoid meat altogether. Of the meats I've deep-fried, poultry has been relatively friendly to the oil, but seafood has been the worst. I did crispy salt-and-pepper shrimp once and it was obvious before I finished the first batch of shrimp that I wasn't going to be able to use that oil again.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

admiraldennis posted:

- What should I avoid frying to preserve my oil as long as possible?
As long as you're not cooking any animal stuff or any battered stuff and not heating the oil too hot, I've found that if you strain the oil through cheesecloth you can reuse it many, many times. Even if you cook battered stuff, you can still get a few uses if you strain it well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am hosting a brunch and while most people eat pretty normally (omnivores, a couple vegetarians) I have one person coming for whom I need to have some food that is both vegan and gluten-free. (I know, I know. She doesn't have celiac or an allergy, she doesn't claim to have celiac or an allergy, she has some non-insane reasons for eating gluten-free.) It isn't real hard to have vegan brunch options or gluten-free brunch options, but both together make things more difficult as basically nothing I normally serve at brunch ticks both boxes. Fruit seems like one easy answer, but I would like to offer her more than just that. Any suggestions? I do not care particularly about whether I make or buy, but if I'm going to make it it would be nice if it weren't too involved since I am already making at least seven or eight other things in quantity.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

guppy posted:

I am hosting a brunch and while most people eat pretty normally (omnivores, a couple vegetarians) I have one person coming for whom I need to have some food that is both vegan and gluten-free. (I know, I know. She doesn't have celiac or an allergy, she doesn't claim to have celiac or an allergy, she has some non-insane reasons for eating gluten-free.) It isn't real hard to have vegan brunch options or gluten-free brunch options, but both together make things more difficult as basically nothing I normally serve at brunch ticks both boxes. Fruit seems like one easy answer, but I would like to offer her more than just that. Any suggestions? I do not care particularly about whether I make or buy, but if I'm going to make it it would be nice if it weren't too involved since I am already making at least seven or eight other things in quantity.
Hash browns, granola with almond or some other non-dairy milk, oatmeal, breakfast potatoes, congee, harcha (I usually make it just with semolina and water and salt), breakfast tofu, musabaha, poha (or this recipe or whatever), besan chila, millet porridge, grits, potato sagu, black eyed peas, scrambled tofu, ful medames.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a good meatball recipe? I want to make some decent meatballs that I could freeze and just bake or whatever else to heat them back up when it’s a lazy pasta kind of night. The thing is my wife is gluten free (not celiac, but some pretty horrifying symptoms when she has a significant amount of it), so a lot of pre-made meatballs don’t work and the gluten free ones we have tried aren’t very good.

We have most of the standard Italian herbs, and a Sprouts with a bulk spices rack.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Long story short, my dad bought too much meat on Saturday. Today I have to go to my moms to finish cooking a large amount of rib roast that was partially cooked before being put in the fridge. I'm guessing it's at least $60 worth of rib roast.

I'm not sure how partially cooked it is and we're all rib roasted out. I need to figure out something to do with the meat that wouldn't be a waste of the cut but that isn't 8 days of rib roast over two weeks.

Edit: good news, not as much meat as it sounded. Bad news, cut up into different sized chunks to fit in three freezer bags. Stew?

Edit 2: It had to be stirfry. The chunks were irregular, and the meat that wasn't random chunks was 1/3rd fat. Also, varying levels of doneness from rare to well done. I don't know either.

I'm also now the owner of 3.5 pounds of meat trimmings, ribs, and fat.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 2, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Hash browns, granola with almond or some other non-dairy milk, oatmeal, breakfast potatoes, congee, harcha (I usually make it just with semolina and water and salt), breakfast tofu, musabaha, poha (or this recipe or whatever), besan chila, millet porridge, grits, potato sagu, black eyed peas, scrambled tofu, ful medames.

Thank you, these are great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a good meatball recipe? I want to make some decent meatballs that I could freeze and just bake or whatever else to heat them back up when it’s a lazy pasta kind of night. The thing is my wife is gluten free (not celiac, but some pretty horrifying symptoms when she has a significant amount of it), so a lot of pre-made meatballs don’t work and the gluten free ones we have tried aren’t very good.

Ad an egg, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1lb 50/50 pork and beef, salt+pepper and minced garlic, basil, thyme, red pepper, oregano to taste...

You can either fry them in a little oil or bake them on a cookie sheet.

What did you try to replace the white bread+milk with? I know some people will try oatmeal or cornmeal, but you really don't need to add anything and the meatballs should be fine.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This is probably a weird question. I'm planning on making cochinita pibil tomorrow. I've made it before but I usually put it in the oven. I'm thinking about using a slow cooker instead, I figure cooking it on low for eight hours should do the trick. Normally when I cook it I cut a huge slab of pork butt into small, 2"ish pieces. The slow cooker recipe I found suggests just putting the entire thing, uncut, into the slow cooker.

If I cut like a 4-5lb hunk of meat into smaller pieces, would that have any affect on the cook time? Would I need to adjust it to make up for smaller pieces? I'd assume not but I have no idea.

edit: also i've never actually USED a slow cooker but they seem pretty idiot proof. Mine's electric, so do I just plug it in and go or does it need like time to heat up like a stove top does?

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 4, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is literally the easiest thing you can make in a slow cooker, which is easy to start with. Put the thing in whole (assuming it fits). Turn it on low. Wait 8 hours. In general for slow cookers, preheating isn't a concern.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So Im going through a big life change right now, and I'm gonna be on my own basically. I was wondering do yall have any good resources for some one pot recipes / simple recipes? I'm looking to cook a lot of a couple things at once so I can save them and use them for lunches, etc.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

food for poor people thread has some good meal prep recipes. There're plenty that'll fit 1 pot/simple criteria.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

This is literally the easiest thing you can make in a slow cooker, which is easy to start with. Put the thing in whole (assuming it fits). Turn it on low. Wait 8 hours. In general for slow cookers, preheating isn't a concern.

ah alright. i'll just put it in a casserole dish or something and let people dig in (it's for a pot luck)

I'm pretty sure my tiny slow cooker can fit that much meat. if it can't i'll have to cut it up a bit.

are there any space concerns to keep in mind with slow cookers? Like do I need to leave some room at the top or something? I'm obviously not going to try and cram anything in, but i'm guessing slow cookers don't really boil anything in them so i shouldn't need to worry about things boiling over

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should not use a slow cooker in a location where you should not use electronics i.e. a bathtub or pool or dog kennel or bird cage.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You should not use a slow cooker in a location where you should not use electronics i.e. a bathtub or pool or dog kennel or bird cage.

i meant space IN the slow cooker

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

eonwe posted:

So Im going through a big life change right now, and I'm gonna be on my own basically. I was wondering do yall have any good resources for some one pot recipes / simple recipes? I'm looking to cook a lot of a couple things at once so I can save them and use them for lunches, etc.

http://goonswithspoons.com/A_Humble,_Dorm-Made_Pasta_with_Zucchini_and_Squash_Meat_Sauce
http://goonswithspoons.com/Fried_Rice_by_Liquid_Flame

Several other good recipes in there too. Some are more complicated than others.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

No. Slow cookers are pretty foolproof. If the lid will go on you're fine. If you fill it to the top with liquid and then turn it on high your liquid will boil over, but I assume that's obvious (I hope that's obvious).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

legendof posted:

No. Slow cookers are pretty foolproof. If the lid will go on you're fine. If you fill it to the top with liquid and then turn it on high your liquid will boil over, but I assume that's obvious (I hope that's obvious).

That's what I figured, but you never know.

Alright I think I've got what I need for this (still debating the splash of tequila, I don't THINK it needs it and I don't even have tequila, so I'm probably fine), so we'll see how it goes.

Part of me feels like the tequila's necessary but unless I can get like a really tiny bottle or something it won't matter, I don't drink so I don't have any lying around.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Nah just skip it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Got all my stuff, I'm already hungry for this. They only had 3lb pieces and I was hoping for 4 but it should be okay.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squinty posted:

My mom brought me a few peppers from a friend of a friend. I'm no chili expert but these look like Bad News to me. What are they and what should I cook with them? I've got about a dozen of each. I like spicy food but I'm not a masochist looking for views on Youtube or anything.

The one on the right looks like a Scotch bonnet. Make Jamaican food! Jerk chicken marinade or Jamaican curry patties.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I have a dozen lovely oxtail thawing that I'd like to cook this weekend. I considered pho, but I've made that before and it won't be as good as my neighborhood pho place, so I'd like to make something different. I don't necessarily want stew either, though I'd consider a really excellent one. Does anyone have a fantastic recipe for oxtail?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Jamaican oxtail stew! I like this recipe.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013460-jamaican-oxtail-stew

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is Oxtail literally the tail meat of an ox, or is that one of those things where that's what it used to mean but now refers to a wider variety of meat?

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

Is Oxtail literally the tail meat of an ox, or is that one of those things where that's what it used to mean but now refers to a wider variety of meat?

As I understand it, it's beef tail, but not strictly the tail taken from an ox, no. It used to be a cheap cut, but its popularity lately has made the price per pound increase a lot.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's called oxtail because the meat was taken from the ox(male cows) originally.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That's about what I figured.

I have another dumb slow cooker question. So it's been going for an hour or two now, should be ready in six or so. The meat is probably...I'd say 75% submerged, but there's some that doesn't have marinade/water covering it. I'm just following the recipe, but I don't know if the recipe assumes I have a smaller cooker or something. Should I add more water so it's fully covered, or is it fine? I'm worried the top that's uncovered won't be as juicy. (There's a lid, of course)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Oxtail is delicious but expensive around here.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Awesome suggestion! I was going to post that, but I've never made it, and have no recipes. One of my favorites at Jamaican restaurants, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

I have another dumb slow cooker question. So it's been going for an hour or two now, should be ready in six or so. The meat is probably...I'd say 75% submerged, but there's some that doesn't have marinade/water covering it. I'm just following the recipe, but I don't know if the recipe assumes I have a smaller cooker or something. Should I add more water so it's fully covered, or is it fine? I'm worried the top that's uncovered won't be as juicy. (There's a lid, of course)

It's fine. Though feel free to flip over the pieces that are sticking up if it'll give you peace of mind. Also, the pork butt should eventually release some liquid, which will makes it easier to submerge everything.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's fine. Though feel free to flip over the pieces that are sticking up if it'll give you peace of mind. Also, the pork butt should eventually release some liquid, which will makes it easier to submerge everything.

I'll flip it in a few hours. I'm worried at how acidic the marinade was but that should break the pork up a lot so I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sometimes I'll cook a chuck roast in a slow cooker when I want a lazy and tasty meal, and I add it with no liquid. It releases a ton of liquid by itself, but the top half that doesn't become submerged by the juices (which turn into an awesome gravy, btw) does in fact dry out a bit. Not in a bad way, though, just adds some texture and is actually my favorite part of it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When I make pulled pork, I just dump in a whole pork shoulder with a rub, with no liquid. It releases a lot of liquid, but even the top that isn't submerged doesn't really dry out. The inside/outside is distinguishable, but it doesn't have bark or anything. It makes a ton of leftovers, and I usually heat and crisp it in a frying pan before serving.

Tl;dr it'll be fine. If you do open the lid to flip it, you're going to need to add more time to the cook.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Pork butt has a ton of fat and connective tissue in it that will liquefy. I dry rub mine and toss it in the crock, and it half fills in six-eight hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
If I'm crockin' a butt it's also on a bed of roughly chopped onions, which also give off a load of liquid. I've even done the forums classic recipe several times with the worcestershire and brown sugar.