Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I bet Hilary's email contained a ton of Internet memes sent from Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i bet there was real dank poo poo in those emails

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

stoutfish posted:

i'd suck a younger hillary clintion dick

Thread title

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The presidential pepe

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

funtax posted:

Jeb speaks fluent Spanish, has Hispanic children and grandchildren (and, obviously, a Hispanic wife) and is generally not a bomb-thrower on immigration. He doesn't favor mass-deportation and doesn't spend time talking about building giant walls or hunting down and/or breaking up families of undocumented immigrants. If he became the nominee, he'd just shuffle immigration off to the side and focus on other issues, which is what his brother did.

As for polling, again, it's too early for that to really be meaningful in terms of specific candidates, but we know that while immigration is important to Hispanic voters, it's not the main issue they care about. It tends to be a potential disqualifying issue for many Hispanic voters (i.e. if a candidate's position is too extreme, it can "leapfrong" over issues the voter cares about more on a personal level), but if a potential GOP nominee has a sufficiently muted approach to immigration reform, then it's entirely possible to have 40-45% of the Hispanic vote be up for grabs.

There are lots of issues like this. Abortion, for example. Very few people consider abortion to be anywhere near the top of their list of priorities, and if a candidate can stay near the middle on either side of the debate, it's unlikely to have any impact on them. But if you stake out an overly-extreme position, it can suddenly become the only thing that people care about in your campaign.

The problem is - again - that Bush's position on immigration, or any equivalent position, is probably a disqualifying issue for many Republican primary voters. So the reason that Jeb! wouldn't be able to grab 40% of the Hispanic vote is that the party wouldn't let him. I think you understate the extent to which that position is anathema to the Republican base.

And also, Jeb Bush is a total putz.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I bet Hilary's email contained a ton of Internet memes sent from Biden

epic

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Each email on Hillary's server was actually a memory from a little boy who lost them every time he made a wish.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Necc0 posted:

Can someone give me an overview over Clinton's email thing? I'm pretty sure the Secretary of State is explicitly allowed to hold classified material outside of DoS buildings & servers at their own discretion so this reeks of standard hay-making but I haven't really followed this topic at all.

A few days old but this is a good article on it.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33872602

edit:
If Jeb loses it won't be the last we've heard from the Bush family. George P. Bush is slowly making his way through Texas politics by running unopposed and he previously established a business that may not actually do anything to show he is a Texan. I wonder what made him give up on Florida and move to Texas.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 19, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Because Hillary has poor political instincts, she hasn't been very forthcoming and hasn't been able to put this to bed. This fits with the narrative that the Clinton's are anything but transparent and are "sneaky." Also due to the email deletions and server-wiping, it'snow impossible for her to now answer the questions raised (legit or not) to anyone's satisfaction. So expect hear about Hillary's email for the next billion years.

That's my take on it at least.

While it's commonplace for politicians to be complete fuckups WRT security, the angle where she deleted large numbers of e-mails is very concerning. If it were a republican everyone would be cracking jokes about cooking the e-docs.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Bob Ojeda posted:

The problem is - again - that Bush's position on immigration, or any equivalent position, is probably a disqualifying issue for many Republican primary voters. So the reason that Jeb! wouldn't be able to grab 40% of the Hispanic vote is that the party wouldn't let him. I think you understate the extent to which that position is anathema to the Republican base.

If you read through his statements thus far, he's been careful to say things that sound good to the far right (opposition to a "path to citizenship"), but that don't actually amount to policy positions (he supports "earned legal status"). He may get forced to strengthen that down the line, but for now he's clearly content to just hang back and wait until there's a compelling reason to change.

quote:

And also, Jeb Bush is a total putz.

*INSERT JOKE ABOUT THAT NEVER STOPPING A BUSH BEFORE*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

While it's commonplace for politicians to be complete fuckups WRT security, the angle where she deleted large numbers of e-mails is very concerning. If it were a republican everyone would be cracking jokes about cooking the e-docs.

You mean a Republican cabinet member like, for example, Colin Powell?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

I seem to remember the last Republican run in with email was Jeb Bush releasing all his without bothering to check what was in it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mdemone posted:

Yes, like Colin Powell, people had concerns with him as well.

I doubt this is how you meant for it to sound, but "the other side does it too" isn't a substantial defense.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

edit:
If Jeb loses it won't be the last we've heard from the Bush family. George P. Bush is slowly making his way through Texas politics by running unopposed and he previously established a business that may not actually do anything to show he is a Texan. I wonder what made him give up on Florida and move to Texas.

I think he recognized that Texas has the best b-ball teams in the nation. Florida is bustas.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

Yes, like Colin Powell, people had concerns with him as well.

I doubt this is how you meant for it to sound, but "the other side does it too" isn't a substantial defense.

There is no need to defend actions that aren't illegal. I was pointing out that we didn't hear about Colin Powell's email for years on end, did we?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

mdemone posted:

I forgot about his Emails because he ultimately destroyed his legacy and credibility far more thoroughly when he sold the public and many allied nations on the Iraq War.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mdemone posted:

There is no need to defend actions that aren't illegal.

Is legality your only measurememt for morality?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Spacebump posted:

edit:

I'm starting to understand why the kings of yore would kill off the families of previous kings upon taking the throne.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

Now we're getting somewhere. Presidential candidates must be ethically unimpeachable?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mdemone posted:

Now we're getting somewhere. Presidential candidates must be ethically unimpeachable?

"This action is alarming" isn't the same as "all candidates must be pure".

I'm just pointing out that this action wouldn't be so carelessly thrown away if she wasn't a democrat.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The entire former Bush White House. All Of Them. deserves to be launched on a rocket into the sun.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Uh, there are three issues raised by the emails. Is it wrong based on current IT procedures? Will this affect her chances in the primary or the general? And was it illegal? The answers are yes, no, and maybe so, if you're curious. Morality is a seperate issue and not really relevant to the discussion since the answer is so subjective. The bible and the koran are both strangely silent on how to run a moral e-mail server.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

"This action is alarming" isn't the same as "all candidates must be pure".

I'm just pointing out that this action wouldn't be so carelessly thrown away if she wasn't a democrat.

Thrown away by who? It's all I've heard about for months.

I don't give a poo poo about it because it's a breach of ethics on par with stealing a stapler, not because she's a Democrat.

Edit: just to be clear, I am an actual communist, which means there are 5 million more worrying things about Hillary Clinton than how she handles email. For some reason neither the right nor the left is interested in talking about any of those, though.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 19, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I know it is a page.

The X-man cometh posted:

Mr Hootington and the rest of you brave goons going to events:

Any time a candidate mentions the importance of STEM education, can you ask them a simple math/science question? Like the sine of 2pi or the volume of a cone. Maybe what printf does.

I think it'd be fun to see how bad they flub them.

I think I've heard a candidate talk about these once. Most of the time it is either debt or trade school talk.

mlmp08 posted:

"A better question than whether I remember math I learned 40 years ago would be asking why we have our youth going into tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to get degrees that don't translate to jobs and leave them unemployed or underemployed with crippling debt.

Also lol look at this nerd"
-a candidate

This is how they respond to those questions.

Nonsense posted:

:lol: if you think any Republican crowd is gonna let you mouth off the moment you sound like a libtard.
Nah most let them ask a question then hoot and holler after the candidate lay a sick burn.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mdemone posted:

Thrown away by who? It's all I've heard about for months.

I don't give a poo poo about it because it's a breach of ethics on par with stealing a stapler, not because she's a Democrat.

Thrown away by fellow liberals, such as on Somethingawful.

I wouldn't compare mass deleting emails before they can be handed over for investigation to "stealing a stapler", just as I would not and did not do the same when the bush administration did it.

quote:

Uh, there are three issues raised by the emails. Is it wrong based on current IT procedures? Will this affect her chances in the primary or the general? And was it illegal? The answers are yes, no, and maybe so, if you're curious. Morality is a seperate issue and not really relevant to the discussion since the answer is so subjective. The bible and the koran are both strangely silent on how to run a moral e-mail server.

I don't know why it needs to affect her primary chances to be worthy of discussion. There's more to electing a leader than "are they the winningest".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 19, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

Thrown away by fellow liberals, such as on Somethingawful.

I wouldn't compare mass deleting emails before they can be handed over for investigation to "stealing a stapler", just as I would not and did not do the same when the bush administration did it.

I'm not a liberal, and there were bigger fish to fry when the Bush cabinet did it, too.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

I don't know why it needs to affect her primary chances to be worthy of discussion. There's more to electing a leader than "are they the winningest".

Because if we're going to do this to all the candidates, there aren't going to be any candidates left to have an election with.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

What's immoral about using your own email server when you're specifically allowed to?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

funtax posted:

Strictly speaking, I'm saying we have no idea. I suspect we'll see portions of it hold together and portions of it fade considerably, but it's really hard to pin any of that down this far out from the actual election. Most people simply don't care enough at the moment for most polls to reliably inform us about the attitude of likely voters 14 months from now.

I would generally agree, though I think it's a mistake to assume there's no way for some Republican candidates to appeal to certain parts of the Obama Coalition. George W. Bush pulled in 44% of the Hispanic vote in 2004 (9% HIGHER than he received in 2000). I can easily see Jeb doing the same.

I'd argue against this. The primary point of what is considered the "Obama coalition" is that whites can overwhelmingly vote for the opposite candidate, and that candidate can still lose.

quote:

According to the national exit poll, President Obama achieved victory by carrying 93 percent of African American voters, 71 percent of Latino voters, 73 percent of Asian American voters, and only 39 percent of white voters—slightly less than former Democratic presidential nominee Michael Dukakis’ share of the white vote in 1988.

Why was this possible? First, the shifting demographic composition of the electorate—rising percentages of people of color, unmarried and working women, the Millennial generation and more secular voters, and educated whites living in more urbanized states—has clearly favored Democrats and increased the relative strength of the party in national elections. Similarly, white working-class support for Democrats has been higher in key battleground states such as Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin than in other states, while white college-educated support for Democrats has been strong in emerging battlegrounds such as Colorado and Virginia.3 In contrast, the Republican Party’s coalition of older, whiter, more rural, and evangelical voters is shrinking and becoming more geographically concentrated and less important to the overall political landscape of the country.

https://www.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ObamaCoalition-5.pdf

This is not something that is likely to change for Presidential year elections. The white portion of voters are only destined to shrink, while minorities, who overwhelmingly supported Bill Clinton, still overwhelmingly support Hillary Clinton.

To overturn these numbers, you would need a once in a generation Republican candidate to push against this headwind, and brother, we sure as heck don't have it this go-around.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's immoral about using your own email server when you're specifically allowed to?

The part where you cherry-pick and delete emails upon being told that they are to be investigated?

Could you point to where I said the security breach itself was an enormous and uncommon issue?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

The part where you cherry-pick and delete emails upon being told that they are to be investigated?

Could you point to where I said the security breach itself was an enormous and uncommon issue?

I haven't seen any evidence that this happened.

When did you say that? What security breach are you even talking about?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Spacebump posted:

edit:

If you're a Republican, being a Texas style one rather than a Florida style one is going to be significantly more helpful to any national ambitions you have. Especially if you assume the party is eventually going to have to beat a path back towards sanity. Much better not to have had to placate Floridians if you're making an argument that you're a sane person.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Cruz: "We should end granting automatic birthright citizenship to the children of those who are here illegally."'

Thank you Donald Trump.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

I haven't seen any evidence that this happened.

When did you say that? What security breach are you even talking about?

It was said here, acknowledged by Clinton's lawyer as can be found in a cursory google search (first one I found)

The security breach in question was taking home classified emails. I already said that this is a common and benign fuckup. If you fishmech over the wording used for the incident I don't intend to respond back to it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

edit:

George P. Bush's dream job path goes "Texas Land Commissioner for two terms, elected governor of Texas in 2022, run for President in 2028 after one-and-a-half terms," but it'll get trickier actually pulling it off. Texas doesn't have term limits and there's no guarantee Abbott will move on in 2022, and even if Abbott did resign every Republican worth a drat in TX has 2022 circled on their calendars for a bid for governor. George P. Bush will have to survive the primary from hell that year.

Yes, talking about things six years down the road sounds absurd, but in an effectively one-party state like Texas where every up-and-comer has to wait for the guy in front of him to get promoted in order to advance, that's how state GOP politics works.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

It was said here, acknowledged by Clinton's lawyer as can be found in a cursory google search (first one I found)

The security breach in question was taking home classified emails. I already said that this is a common and benign fuckup. If you fishmech over the wording used for the incident I don't intend to respond back to it.

The article says "deleted all emails". Deleting all emails is very different from cherry picking which ones to delete! The ones kept weren't cherry picked either, they were ones that were required to be kept.

That's not a security breach, sorry, guy who's over the moon about Corbyn.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Winkie01 posted:

Cruz: "We should end granting automatic birthright citizenship to the children of those who are here illegally."'

Thank you Donald Trump.

Cruz/Trump axis forever.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

The article says "deleted all emails". Deleting all emails is very different from cherry picking which ones to delete! The ones kept weren't cherry picked either, they were ones that were required to be kept.

That's not a security breach, sorry, guy who's over the moon about Corbyn.

You're quoting a republican blowhard. Further down the article Hillary's lawyer admits that she "chose not to keep" personal emails. We do not know if all the emails she "chose not to keep" were personal and harmless, or included emails integral to the investigation as well.

I'm "over the moon" about the fact that many countries have elected/are electing/may elect non-establishment officials with hard-left stances and a history of enacting them.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Winkie01 posted:

Thank you Donald Trump.

Lets take it away from those impostors born in Canada too.

e.

http://theweek.com/articles/571830/why-ted-cruz-best-chance-becoming-gop-nominee

Bwhahahahaha ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Neurolimal posted:

You're quoting a republican blowhard. Further down the article Hillary's lawyer admits that she "chose not to keep" personal emails. We do not know if all the emails she "chose not to keep" were personal and harmless, or included emails integral to the investigation as well.

The Republican who investigated it, yes, are you arguing that Hillary actually is keeping emails still on that server or what? All emails, from all available evidence, have been deleted from the server, with prior backups being made of appropriate emails. This is standard procedure when you ain't going to use a server anymore.

Neurolimal posted:

I'm "over the moon" about the fact that many countries have elected/are electing/may elect non-establishment officials with hard-left stances and a history of enacting them.

I don't think Corbyn has much of a history of enacting anything substantial at parliament level. :laugh:

• Locked thread