Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Instead of removing a day phase, you could have the princess' death roleblock the town that night. That might actually work better as a town detriment/scum bonus.

That's an interesting take on it, I like that idea. It still works thematically the same way that town would be upset by their death while scum aren't. It's a very strong pro-scum role though, especially later on when people are trying to logic puzzle the game out, since scum can kill a high value target with no risk, so it'd need careful balancing, but that could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tremendous Taste posted:

I don't think the princess role can really be balanced outside of giving the princess a specific power

The only power I could see for that purpose would be pardoning, and even that requires a drawback.

It's an interesting and fun role, but not one to balance around/with.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

The other game of mine that died was a CYOR game. I think maybe those games are just bad. They sound great in theory, but they almost always turn out terrible.

Cpig's CYOE game was gold standard :colbert:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
While I wait for my personality test thing to finish up, here is a CYOE game with a "corrupted wish" aspect.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

:eyepop:

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Lol

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

:ghost:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hey, Meds, have you looked over that stuff I PMed you yet?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

Hey, Meds, have you looked over that stuff I PMed you yet?

I made some notes but forgot to get them to you. I'll shoot you a message when I'm off work.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rad, thanks.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Rarity posted:

Cpig's CYOE game was gold standard :colbert:

That game was so great because I picked the most boring role possible, given the freedom we could have had, and just did not give a poo poo about that game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Because you're all cool and I like most of you, I figured I would vent this here because I don't feel comfortable doing so with any of my other social circles: I am a deeply insecure person who always assumes failure is inevitable in most aspects of my life, especially any art stuff that I dabble in. It's so bad that when an opportunity almost literally falls into my lap, I am still sitting here thinking "no way is this going to come through." I say that not to brag, but just as a general frustration at myself and I hope to change this aspect of my mind in the future.

Also, Persona 4 Golden is good and fun so far.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have some gifs.
Do with as you will Mafia Thread.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
you should not post anymore infinitum hope this helps.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Max posted:

Because you're all cool and I like most of you, I figured I would vent this here because I don't feel comfortable doing so with any of my other social circles: I am a deeply insecure person who always assumes failure is inevitable in most aspects of my life, especially any art stuff that I dabble in. It's so bad that when an opportunity almost literally falls into my lap, I am still sitting here thinking "no way is this going to come through." I say that not to brag, but just as a general frustration at myself and I hope to change this aspect of my mind in the future.

My brother is a lot like you, highly talented and equally insecure. It's a thing among the brightest minds in the world so please don't feel badly about being that way. Of course you realize being more confident and secure helps you in life and should try to change your outlook to such but for now just keep reminding yourself that you rock, okay?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kashuno posted:

you should not post anymore infinitum hope this helps.

Uninviting you from my Stargate game

Cause ur a meanie

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Here's a game for you Infinitum

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Max posted:

Im kinda the same way, I second guess myself a lot.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Max posted:

The best advice I can give for you is to learn to embrace failure and realize that (a) criticism, especially negative criticism, is inevitable and (b) it's not all that bad. Fear of failure is like any phobia - the only way to get over it is to immerse yourself in it.

If you show your art to 100 people and 3 of them like it and 97 hate it - congratulations, you found 3 people who want to see the next thing you create! The other 97 people will go on to find things they like and won't have any affect on your life outside of that one uncomfortable moment. Experience it enough times and you'll start to appreciate failing as a chance to learn something instead of a condemnation of your character.

Sorry if that got all "self help book"-ish but I like encouraging people to be creative :)

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I am still creative, but only for myself, and I never expect my creative works to be published or enjoyed in any fashion by anyone other than myself. Create works for yourself, and if others enjoy them hey great, otherwise who cares you made it for yourself to enjoy.

My biggest downfall is I want everyone I meet to like me, so I kinda bend my personality to be what others want to see of me so they'll enjoy my company. I am good at guessing what people want from a person, so I have a lot of friends, but only a few of them know the true me. So it goes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How receptive is the community to a series game? I'm looking to make a setup that would be 5 games in length, with certain characteristics carrying over across games. You would be able to request a replacement mid series (i.e. You play 2 games but no longer have time so you hand your characteristics over to a new player). Since roles will not be the same across each game it will not have any impact on each game.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Kashuno posted:

How receptive is the community to a series game? I'm looking to make a setup that would be 5 games in length, with certain characteristics carrying over across games. You would be able to request a replacement mid series (i.e. You play 2 games but no longer have time so you hand your characteristics over to a new player). Since roles will not be the same across each game it will not have any impact on each game.

I'd be into that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
some of the most popular games are series games

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Max posted:

This is something I send my students to our counseling center for. I highly recommend you see someone if you are able since I've watched some amazing turn around happen with help :).

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

You stole my idea, jerkface! :argh:

This seems cool. Would just need to be careful about what would carry over to prevent metagaming.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I've never played Mafia before but this looks like fun and I'd like to try. Is there a particular game more suited for newbies to this and/or should I just wait for another new one to open up and make a fool of myself?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Azuth0667 posted:

This is something I send my students to our counseling center for. I highly recommend you see someone if you are able since I've watched some amazing turn around happen with help :).

I went to a therapist once to help me with my substance abuse issues and she actually talked me out of trying to stop lol. I quit therapy after that, but there are probably better therapists than the one I saw lol.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

IllegallySober posted:

I've never played Mafia before but this looks like fun and I'd like to try. Is there a particular game more suited for newbies to this and/or should I just wait for another new one to open up and make a fool of myself?

Make a fool of yourself! That's the only way to really get into it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I BELIEVE that all games are currently full other than jon joe's CYOR game (which I do NOT suggest as a first game), but I suggest bookmarking this thread and the New Game Announcement thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743445

If you keep an eye on both, you should be able to catch a new game that starts up. :) In the meantime, you can also keep an eye on votefinder to see if a new game opens there: http://votefinder.org/

Welcome! And don't worry about making a fool of yourself, everyone involved in mafia is dumb as poo poo anyways so you'll fit right in.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

MG3 posted:

I went to a therapist once to help me with my substance abuse issues and she actually talked me out of trying to stop lol. I quit therapy after that, but there are probably better therapists than the one I saw lol.

Yeah therapists are definitely a case by case basis so make like :smugdon: and fire-em until you find the one that fits for you :unsmith:.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

You stole my idea, jerkface! :argh:

This seems cool. Would just need to be careful about what would carry over to prevent metagaming.

Nothing that is usable for meta gaming carries over. Right now the plan is tentatively runescape themed. In addition to Mafia, players can level the various stats to perform in quests. These quests carry a variety of rewards which can also carry over between games

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Kashuno posted:

Nothing that is usable for meta gaming carries over. Right now the plan is tentatively runescape themed. In addition to Mafia, players can level the various stats to perform in quests. These quests carry a variety of rewards which can also carry over between games

RUNESCAPE. I played that way back when dial up was the best internet that existed. Loved that game. So addicting lol

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MG3 posted:

Make a fool of yourself! That's the only way to really get into it.

This is my general philosophy for life lately so I can dig this :unsmith:

Podima posted:

I BELIEVE that all games are currently full other than jon joe's CYOR game (which I do NOT suggest as a first game), but I suggest bookmarking this thread and the New Game Announcement thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743445

If you keep an eye on both, you should be able to catch a new game that starts up. :) In the meantime, you can also keep an eye on votefinder to see if a new game opens there: http://votefinder.org/

Welcome! And don't worry about making a fool of yourself, everyone involved in mafia is dumb as poo poo anyways so you'll fit right in.

Thanks! I've got this one bookmarked already but will grab the new game thread too. In the meantime I'll sit back and watch and try to learn something!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

Throw yourself into whatever! I wouldn't recommend my upcoming series game unless you're interested in really jumping in the deep end. If you are, then by all means I will save a spot for you!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

IllegallySober posted:

the worse you post the more people like you thats a lil pro tip for you

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MG3 posted:

RUNESCAPE. I played that way back when dial up was the best internet that existed. Loved that game. So addicting lol

Same

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

I can POTENTIALLY make an extra role in my 24man Stargate Mafia if you are interested...

I am finalising roles today and it opens in.. 26 hours time.

Only offering it cause you're a newbie, and newbies are cool :frogc00l:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you are Drop your name down in the thread and I'll figure something out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
can i also have a role and by have a role i just mean hangout in your thread and not really post antyhing about the game i am so lonely