Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GotLag posted:

I think that joke is unfunny enough to fire someone for.

Criminal charges seem like a stretch, but luckily that’s not usually up to police anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hey guys *surveys Elon musk twitter of child size coffins* has anybody considered this might be dangerous??

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

jobson groeth posted:

Ćevapi is not a crime

My man. :tito:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

jemand posted:

Yeah. What ensures adequate ventilation and where are the emergency egress access paths? I understand that they are requiring electric only vehicles so they might think they don't need to worry about combustion / reduced oxygen hazards... but.... stuff happens.

NBD, you the all-star Tesla owner simply activate “bioweapon defense mode” on your Tesla and it will filter out the li-poly ash of your fallen Tesla brethren.

schmug
May 20, 2007

jemand posted:

Yeah. What ensures adequate ventilation and where are the emergency egress access paths? I understand that they are requiring electric only vehicles so they might think they don't need to worry about combustion / reduced oxygen hazards... but.... stuff happens.

come one, that is just a prototype. they have weeks of testing before it opens.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
no you see the REAL thing will be in hard vacuum, no oxygen = no fire!
:shuckyes:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm not entirely sure that Tesla battery packs don't contain their own oxidizers.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Imagined posted:

I'm not entirely sure that Tesla battery packs don't contain their own oxidizers.

That's part of the joke

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Imagined posted:

All batteries contain their own oxidizers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having High Speed cars Trains underground sort of makes sense given how astronomically expensive and logistically impossible it would be to build above ground with all the right of way, eminent domain and cross state issues. The cost of the tunnels could conceivably be far less than paying everybody along the route, lowering/rising roads, negotiations with train barons, NIMBY. When you factor in not having to deal with the airport security dance taking the train would be a far more comfortable experience worth taking a little longer to get there, no delays, higher capacity and depending be faster than a plane.

Musk probably looked at how much of a mega project the Shinkansen was and decided "I can MUSK this up" by using a vacuum tube while un-inventing trains, highways and good looking concrete.

Synthbuttrange posted:

yes but....

just roll the meat out on your work surface with a stick in the middle?

My dear that is a work of industrialisation art. For a small investment of competing brands of soft drinks and a $2 pipe fitting you can output 10 times the Kebabs in the same time as one, in a third of the space and less water for clean up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

oohhboy posted:

Having High Speed cars Trains underground sort of makes sense given how astronomically expensive and logistically impossible it would be to build above ground

absolutely not. eminent domaining every inch of a ground level route is still cheaper than tunneling the whole way. tunnels are expensive as poo poo, they are by far the most expensive alternative for train placement and are only used in situations where you have no alternative choice - like you're trying to cross an ocean, a mountain range, there is some other critical infrastructure which cannot be moved like a freeway, etc.

this is being charitable and assuming musk will ever actually build high speed rail, which he will not, because his prototype is basically an unimpressive 1960's era people mover like you might see beneath disney world

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good luck eminent domaining that much land. The US is a clusterfuck of land ownership and lawsuits. If you could you would have real HSR already. The legal costs and cost overruns would kill it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
for real the most hilarious part about musk is that for such a gearhead visionary he can't be bothered to do a basic review of things that already exist, so he half asses and comes up with a minimum viable product that exactly resembles technology which plateaued decades prior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BMnmyPKYQE

oohhboy posted:

Good luck eminent domaining that much land. The US is a clusterfuck of land ownership and lawsuits. If you could you would have real HSR already. The legal costs and cost overruns would kill it.

this is exactly what eminent domain is for? even with all the lawsuits and cost inflation from speculation etc. the fact that this method was chosen over tunnels should tell you something

i guess you could call the california high speed rail authority and tell them they're doing everything the wrong way

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My proposal avoids both land ownership issues and tunneling by loading people into individual capsules then firing them at their destination with a ballistic cannon.
Venture capital pls.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

My proposal avoids both land ownership issues and tunneling by loading people into individual capsules then firing them at their destination with a ballistic cannon.
Venture capital pls.

The :jeb: method, I like it!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Icon Of Sin posted:

Tossing hay bails over a what’s effectively a pole vault bar at a Highland games? That’s all I’m coming up with.

Basque rural sports.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Can't wait to get into a 150mph car crash 40 feet below the ground in a single lane tunnel.

That's what all the rebar poking out of the tunnel walls are for! They call them "arresting spikes".

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

oohhboy posted:

your post made me think of this project, so I checked to see how it's coming along:

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article?section=news&headline=the-texas-bullet-train-now-looks-likely-heres-what-to-expect&contentId=287-617806536

(Construction on a 177mph bullet train route between Houston and Dallas could begin next year YEEEHAWWWW)

Slush Garbo fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 20, 2018

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

weirdest homemade bong i've ever seen

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

oohhboy posted:

The DC Metro was forced to go above ground for the Silver Line expansion through some of the most expensive real estate in the US because tunneling would be too expensive.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mozi posted:

That is not what 'smoking meat' means.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mozi posted:

Bet it's healthy, Coke Lemon protects you from scurvy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

McSpanky posted:

That's what all the rebar poking out of the tunnel walls are for! They call them "arresting spikes".

There's no rebar poking out. It's a diamond pattern cut into the cement, combined with hanging wires on the left running the length.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

McSpanky posted:

We need to stop Musk from building the containment chamber for the gateway onboard the Event Horizon, otherwise there will be Hell to pay.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Mozi posted:

That was my first guess, but once he got to the raw meat, I was worried it was for a more intimate purpose.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Icon Of Sin posted:

We need to stop Musk from building the containment chamber for the gateway onboard the Event Horizon, otherwise there will be Hell to pay.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1075848331732115456?s=19
:ohdearsass:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

Just lie on your resume, what's the worst that could happen?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wait are they leaving the kids behind? Maybe toppling furniture is part of the kid’s plan for thwarting would-be burglars.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That happened to me once, except it landed on my butt.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It's okay, that tv is old as poo poo and the replacement model will be much better.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That happened to me once, except it landed on my butt.

That explains the crack.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So my dad recently retired to Maine, and within a month of living there, managed to cut his hand open shucking oysters and had to get a couple stitches.

For X-Mas, I got him some cut resistant gloves and towels. Not the heavy duty chain mail stuff, but still better than nothing. It got there today, and I said not to open them unless he's planning on shucking oysters before Christmas. Naturally, he has oysters in his fridge at this very moment and is planning on having them with dinner.

An hour later, I got this:

Better safe than sorry!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

In a similar vein, my cousin's 16 yo son had a birthday a month ago and I lent him my knife to open a box, not knowing that KIDS THESE DAYS DON'T PLAY WITH KNIVES outside of Call of Duty and he immediately sliced his hand open.

So I got him one of these for Christmas:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Relentless posted:

So my dad recently retired to Maine, and within a month of living there, managed to cut his hand open shucking oysters and had to get a couple stitches.

For X-Mas, I got him some cut resistant gloves and towels. Not the heavy duty chain mail stuff, but still better than nothing. It got there today, and I said not to open them unless he's planning on shucking oysters before Christmas. Naturally, he has oysters in his fridge at this very moment and is planning on having them with dinner.

Better safe than sorry!

hahahaha your dad owns

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No hearing protection. thats a writeup

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

In a similar vein, my cousin's 16 yo son had a birthday a month ago and I lent him my knife to open a box, not knowing that KIDS THESE DAYS DON'T PLAY WITH KNIVES outside of Call of Duty and he immediately sliced his hand open.

So I got him one of these for Christmas:

How many worlds best uncle mugs do you own?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

How many worlds best uncle mugs do you own?

I very infrequently make relatives' children bleed on their special day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Relentless posted:

Better safe than sorry!

Those better be steel-toed slippers