Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Magic is amazing, I find Hopkins much creepier in it than in SOTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Because I'm unabashedly a fanboy and the actual Neon Demon was archived here's a different 30 second redband teaser, featuring more synth, Keanu Reeves, and blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH-srjX2H1c

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite Hopkins horror movie might be Titus.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

Miike made four other films that year. That's basically his thing, he constantly cranks out films some of them are brilliant and others are pretty meh.

Miike is to film what Guided By Voices is to music.

If you blink, you might miss 4 new releases. 1 of those releases will be incredibly great. The other 3 will be middling. By the time you figure it all out, there's 4 more and it starts again until you burn out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'd say he's more like Buckethead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd say he's more like Buckethead.

What a mean thing to say

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What a mean thing to say

8 albums a year and maybe 2 of them are good? That is Miike.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

8 albums a year and maybe 2 of them are good? That is Miike.

I was unaware buckethead did anything bearable.

What's Miike been up to lately?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, so you're a buckethead fan. That's a thing I guess.

What's Miike been up to lately?

An adaptation of Blade of the Immortal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That has definite potential.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It was such a tease when Miike did 13 Assassins and Hara-kiri in back to back years. He went back to doing weird poo poo of inconsistent quality right after that though.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

His stuff is all over the place really. I guess at the very least you're guaranteed at least one thing interesting from him every now and then.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Holy poo poo. Watch this if you ever wished you lived in a Cronenberg movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfoVOGMz054

(Please don't discuss it, though. I think any discussion would spoil it)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think I'd want to meet someone who wishes they lived in a Cronenberg movie.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A birthday is a special occasion.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

It's a quietly devastating movie too. Very sad. Burgess Meredith is also of course great in it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The Invitation is pretty good. Pretty much had a sense of dread throughout the entire movie. In part because of the music and just the characters doing such a good job at being creepy. called them being death cultists pretty early on before they even showed that dying person video, but then I flip flopped and thought that maybe dude was just being paranoid so they did a good job

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

For a second I thought that said Miike was doing a new BLADE movie and got crazy excited before I realized what it actually read.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

"The butler opening the door in this scene is Felix Müller, a German actor who got his start in a popular toothpaste commercial at seven years old. He was an extra in several Italian sex comedies, including Seven Women for the Police Chief and the under-appreciated Dr. Fantasmo's Swinging Sex Lazer, the third film in the Dr. Fantasmo series and my personal favorite. Felix met Bava on the set of Hercules and Django Fight the Sirens, an unusual swords and saddles film that Bava was walking past on his way home from work one night. They immediately took a liking to each other and became lifelong friends, though this was their only collaboration. I met Felix and his wife while taking a taxi in Paris in 2004, and he told me that the tie you can see him wearing in this scene was a bit too tight. He passed away from colon cancer in 2011.

The red light in this scene really highlights the ominous nature of the castle.

The woman in the distant window is Sabine Durand, a French model who..."

:geno:

I can't take Tim Lucas. I won't deny that he knows his stuff, he's an absolutely bottomless fountain of trivia, but from the commentaries I've listened to almost all of it tends to be the entire life story of every single actor who has a line or more than thirty non-consecutive seconds of screen time, with only an occasional nod to relatively basic film analysis or insight into the creation of the actual movie he's commenting on.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Skyscraper posted:

I don't know if you'd consider it recent enough, but Kairo is a great movie.

That's a very obvious one I somehow didn't think of, I'll have to check it out.

Brain Curry posted:

Maybe My Little Eye? I think I watched that around the same time I was watching The Den and Darknet.
That would probably fit, but I've also saw that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Do folks here actually have a favorite horror movie? And I mean the desert-island-just-pick-one variety.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

im gaye posted:

Do folks here actually have a favorite horror movie? And I mean the desert-island-just-pick-one variety.

I definitely don't. No way I could just choose one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

im gaye posted:

Evil Dead II. I don't even really have to think about it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Just got back from seeing Green Room and it was great. Very tight and extremely intense thriller. Also brutal as hell, Jeremy Saulnier knows how to direct some crazy violence.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

im gaye posted:

I reckon I've probably rematches The Thing the most, and could always rewatch it again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Thanks, thread, for The Invitation recommendation. I love slow-burn paranoid psychological horror so I really enjoyed it. Once it earns its premise, the final act was more tense than I can remember being watching a film in quite a while.

Regarding the ending: I can see how it would seem tonally off to some, but the reveal got a good reaction out of me. The shot of the hills doesn't break tone - if it kept zooming out to show tons and tons of lanterns in the hills, maybe, but that one neighborhood I can buy. I love how they kept bringing up little things to throw you off, like the boyfriend showing up late, or the people coming to the wrong house, which makes more sense at the end reveal. All I could think once they got out of the house was how lucky Claire is for getting out early, assuming she's alive. As for the Jonestown-esque drinks as part of the cult, I think it subverts the cliche because they were unwitting participants. Had everyone been on board, sure, but the fact that they were being inducted without knowing it (and then forced once they found out) was really where the horror came from for me.

It's definitely one of those movies that's better going in not knowing anything about it.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know what the little girl said in Baskin just as the cops were headed through the grove to the house? That's the only part that wasn't sub-titled. Sounded like French to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

im gaye posted:

The Descent.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

im gaye posted:

So easy for me; The Exorcist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien for sure.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Return of the Living Dead

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

sticklefifer posted:

Thanks, thread, for The Invitation recommendation. I love slow-burn paranoid psychological horror so I really enjoyed it. Once it earns its premise, the final act was more tense than I can remember being watching a film in quite a while.

Regarding the ending: I can see how it would seem tonally off to some, but the reveal got a good reaction out of me. The shot of the hills doesn't break tone - if it kept zooming out to show tons and tons of lanterns in the hills, maybe, but that one neighborhood I can buy. I love how they kept bringing up little things to throw you off, like the boyfriend showing up late, or the people coming to the wrong house, which makes more sense at the end reveal. All I could think once they got out of the house was how lucky Claire is for getting out early, assuming she's alive. As for the Jonestown-esque drinks as part of the cult, I think it subverts the cliche because they were unwitting participants. Had everyone been on board, sure, but the fact that they were being inducted without knowing it (and then forced once they found out) was really where the horror came from for me.

It's definitely one of those movies that's better going in not knowing anything about it.

You're right - I wish I'd known nothing about the movie going into it. Knowing that things would go south removed so much of the uncertainty about whether Will's delusions were justified or not. It became a matter of when poo poo would hit the fan, not if. I felt like I knew more than the characters throughout, whereas I would have loved to be lulled into the same sense of false security as well.

Really enjoyed it in spite of this though.

Oh, and sorry - Claire's definitely dead

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Watched Hush last night. That was just a very good, tight thriller. The strongest part is everything from the initial murdering against the glass door all the way until he iMessages her the pics of her looking at her laptop.

It's never quite as tense after that, but it was still really good.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oh and I was pleased at how realistic and well done all of the technical elements were done in Hush.

When she attempts to connect to the neighbor's wi-fi and gets prompted for credentials I laughed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

im gaye posted:

My favorite Hopkins horror movie might be Titus.

It's a shame Taymor never made anything else quite as good.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

It's a shame Taymor never made anything else quite as good.

Yeah I never saw The Tempest but I heard it wasn't quite the same.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

im gaye posted:

Yeah I never saw The Tempest but I heard it wasn't quite the same.

I really like The Tempest but yeah. Nowhere near as good. I haven't seen Midsummer Night's Dream but if it's anything like Spiderman Turn Off The Dark, it's balls.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

trip9 posted:

Because I'm unabashedly a fanboy and the actual Neon Demon was archived here's a different 30 second redband teaser, featuring more synth, Keanu Reeves, and blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH-srjX2H1c

This new Carpenter Brut music video looks phenominal!

im gaye posted:

Videodrome

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im gaye posted:

The Shining! I watch it every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

im gaye posted:

Dawn of the Dead '78 and it's not even close.