Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the suggestions; ordering the iwata kit. While I'm at it, does anyone have any airbrush paint line suggestions? I can mix my own from citadel stuff but it's time consuming and anything to make things more convenient is great.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

honestly even airbrush-specific paints benefit from being mixed in with some thinner and a drop of flow improver so i wouldn’t bother doubling up on colours

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If you're currently using citadels from the pot then Vallejo Game Air in dropper bottles will be a big convenience upgrade for you, but like the Opossum said, you'll still need to add some flow improver to them, so if you're not flush with cash Citadel paints still work great with some thinning.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, all this. Just use what you have and pick up some Flow Improver and appropriate thinner for the paints you have. When I started airbrushing, I was all over Tamiya paints, now no one sells them locally. I gradually started switching to Vallejo Airs, but then for some reason went back to Citadel (I'd been out of Warhammer/all tabletop gaming for a few years) and to be honest, even though they're really not the *best* paints, I really like a. following their tutorials for learning new techniques and b. uh the way the look on my paint racks.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I usually paint entire units or a monster, painting just one guy was nice

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Geisladisk posted:

I usually paint entire units or a monster, painting just one guy was nice

That's a cool dude. Contrast over zenithal?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Goddamn it I wanted to show off my new project painting those hilarious monopose terminators but I can’t work out how to get the bb code on the app - anyone able to help out in exchange for pics of latest projects?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

That's a cool dude. Contrast over zenithal?

Thanks!

On the clothes and pouches, yeah, with some added stippling and washing on the coat to make it more worn.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Geisladisk posted:

Thanks!

On the clothes and pouches, yeah, with some added stippling and washing on the coat to make it more worn.

Noice. I keep under estimating the ole zenithal/contrast combo. I really dig the dude in general, and the bright red stripe is a great touch. With the relaxed pose it's a chill gently caress yo snipers emperor protects vibe.

I know you said just the one but imagine how impressive a small kill team army of them would look together. :v:

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I've never had any draw to get into any of the actual game systems but I've always thought painting these things looked very fun and rewarding.

It's finally time.

Are there any standout value bundles of paints/tools on the market at the minute? I find it very psychologically satisfying to just get a whole bunch of stuff at once rather than picking it up piecemeal and if I am demonstrably saving money in doing so I could not be happier. I'm going to be painting a pretty broad variety of models for my first few months so the broader the variety of colours useful across fantasy/sci-fi settings the better.

I desperately want to paint the GW Battle Nuns but I'm looking to build my confidence a bit assembling and painting a nice variety of stuff first. You seem to save money here by buying lots of the same kind of thing at once so not expecting any individual product to really meet my needs here, but I would be very interested to hear which UK retailers I'm most likely to be able to pick up random/outdated stuff from at a discount.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

cross postin'

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I've also been doing some painting

well well well, if it isn't the lady from red robin who said the men's room was "off limits to me"

say you were joking!

say i am allowed back in red robin, and i didn't do an absolute paint job in the men's room!

yeah, i neeeeeeeever do this... but i can't sell you a gun

meanwhile, on the other side of the bayou:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Working on an escher gang for a future Necromunda campaign.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I stole the zenithal/contrast idea from someone on this thread for my DKoK and it turned out great. Mine isn't going to win any competitions, but holy hell it was fast and easy.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Verisimilidude posted:

Working on an escher gang for a future Necromunda campaign.

Really like the green-to-yellow highlighting on the hair.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I finished up an ammo runt. He's ready to bring his disgruntled joy wherever he goes.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

"Eh, it's a living"

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Floppychop posted:

I stole the zenithal/contrast idea from someone on this thread for my DKoK and it turned out great. Mine isn't going to win any competitions, but holy hell it was fast and easy.

Yeah I did the same for my plague guard and I’ve almost completed an entire army in just a couple months.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Where’s the best place to source black stylenrez (spelling??) primer in the US?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Floppychop posted:

I finished up an ammo runt. He's ready to bring his disgruntled joy wherever he goes.

I love it, even though I just see the green version of the smoking baby from Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

number one pta fan posted:

I've never had any draw to get into any of the actual game systems but I've always thought painting these things looked very fun and rewarding.

It's finally time.

Are there any standout value bundles of paints/tools on the market at the minute? I find it very psychologically satisfying to just get a whole bunch of stuff at once rather than picking it up piecemeal and if I am demonstrably saving money in doing so I could not be happier. I'm going to be painting a pretty broad variety of models for my first few months so the broader the variety of colours useful across fantasy/sci-fi settings the better.

I desperately want to paint the GW Battle Nuns but I'm looking to build my confidence a bit assembling and painting a nice variety of stuff first. You seem to save money here by buying lots of the same kind of thing at once so not expecting any individual product to really meet my needs here, but I would be very interested to hear which UK retailers I'm most likely to be able to pick up random/outdated stuff from at a discount.

Honestly if you're going to buy a paint bundle you're gonna waste money because you're unlikely to use every single paint. Unless it's difficult to acquire individual bottles of paint a la carte (ie gotta hit minimum order quotas for internet orders) then you're better off just grabbing paints as you need them. Main advantage of being in the UK is that Jackson's Arts Supplies is UK based and they're the cheapest and most reliable place to get nice brushes (and other supplies!) for dirt cheap.

Also if you wanna paint Sisters you should just, paint Sisters. There's no point eating your vegetables first when you're starting a hobby for fun. At best maybe see if a local GW store has freebie models for you to get started on (usually a Stormcast Liberator or Space Marine Intercessor) but if you get yourself a pile of busywork to do before things you really want to paint you'll stall out and end up never painting much.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Bodanarko posted:

Amazon unfortunately.

Contrast over zenithal DKOK folks: what colors did you use?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bodanarko posted:

https://www.michtoy.com/item-BAD-403-Stynylrez_Water_Based_Acrylic_Primer_Black_4oz_Bottle.html

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
Working through the Kill Team box set and just finished the Veteran Guardsmen:

And now I'm ready for Orctober:

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

After some procrastination and a lot of stopping and starting, I finally managed to get some Infinity painted for the first time in forever - 5 Brawlers (basic mercs).

Highlights of this: Kimera Blue (red shade) is an awesome colour that makes me happy just to look at, and B&W zenithal priming -> Black Templar Contrast -> S75 Arctic blue edge highlighting and glazing is a really quick way of making Infinity guns pop - something I've had issues with in the past.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It's finally time.

Do you have a local game store near where you are? Can always swing by and see if they have anything.

I'm going to slightly disagree with Eej on this;

Eej posted:

Honestly if you're going to buy a paint bundle you're gonna waste money because you're unlikely to use every single paint. Unless it's difficult to acquire individual bottles of paint a la carte (ie gotta hit minimum order quotas for internet orders) then you're better off just grabbing paints as you need them.

This is great advice for someone who's already picked up some paints, or someone who is considering buying an entire line of paints (army painters big gently caress off box, or that poster who was asking about going in on the One Thing Coat set on kickstarter). As soon as someone goes "I might pick up that paint set, but I do already have a very similar dark green" then the value is generally gone, because instead of 7 paints for the price of 6 (or whatever) they are effectively getting 6 paints they dont get to pick for the price of 6 paints. But someone starting from scratch doesnt have any paints to duplicate, and if they buy a small starter set with a black, white, red, yellow, green, brown and a caucasian skin tone, maybe a metallic steel or a couple of washes they can save a few quid (and maybe get a brush or a mini thrown in for free too). Various companies do a "getting started" style paint set, and they are all pretty much fine. I'd say "Buy a basic getting started paint set from somewhere, then supplement it with other paints as and when you need them". I have no particular brand recommendation. Look at the paints in the box if you like those colours, divide the price by the number of paints, if that number is noticably less than the price for an individual pot then its probably fine. Also, you will need more shades of brown and grey than you think you will, but theres no point picking up a hot pink until you have a model that needs to be painted hot pink.

As for cheap models, I usually just hit up ebay. Especially if you arent particularly fussed what you paint, can pick up figures for games no-one has played for 10 years (or no-one much played in the first place) fairly cheap. Keep an eye out for boxed games with minis (stuff like Dreadball, Rumble slam, things like that. Mini companies producing a boxed game rather than actual board games. Though something like a Zombicide does contain a lot of plastic, and one day I will finish painting mine...). But I'm going to second Eej on this;

Eej posted:

Also if you wanna paint Sisters you should just, paint Sisters. There's no point eating your vegetables first when you're starting a hobby for fun. At best maybe see if a local GW store has freebie models for you to get started on (usually a Stormcast Liberator or Space Marine Intercessor) but if you get yourself a pile of busywork to do before things you really want to paint you'll stall out and end up never painting much.

You may never feel good enough about your skills to start painting what you want to paint. So you might as well just start painting what you want to paint now and get better as you go. Your first ten models will probably be pretty bad, but thats true of almost everyone, and you'll have more fun badly painting the models you want to paint than you will painting a dreadball team badly. Forcing yourself to paint an endless parade of models you dont particularly like is a recipe for turning yourself off the hobby. And even if it doesnt the skill progression is gradual (particularly to your own critical eye) so while your twentieth model is going to be much better than your first, it'll only be a little better than your nineteenth, so you may never get that "Ahah! Now I have reached painting mastery and can start my passion project!" moment. Plus its just paint. If you hate what you've done you can always paint over it or strip it back off and start again.

If you want to paint sisters of battle, paint sisters of battle. They are cool minatures, and anyway theres more resources out there to help you build and paint games workshop figures than there are every other brand combined.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

I know you said just the one but imagine how impressive a small kill team army of them would look together. :v:

Oh no, I have about 3000 points of the bastards. I just painted that one guy this time, whereas I usually paint them in squad-sized batches.

Incidentally this army started this last spring as a kill team that I just couldn't stop.

EdsTeioh posted:

Amazon unfortunately.

Contrast over zenithal DKOK folks: what colors did you use?

Pants, gloves: Black Templar
Boots, pouches, backpack: Wyldwood
Coat: Aggaros Dunes, then stipled white to simulate wear, more heavily around the edges and elbows where wear would be more prominent, then washed with Camoshade, then washed with Agrax Earthshade, then finally Nuln Oil, not waiting for the washes to dry in between and applying them unevenly to give a little color variation.
Gas mask, backpack straps: Basilicanum Gray
Rest were non-contrast.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SiKboy posted:

and you'll have more fun badly painting the models you want to paint than you will painting a dreadball team badly. Forcing yourself to paint an endless parade of models you dont particularly like is a recipe for turning yourself off the hobby.

WTB a brain that makes this true instead of both just being deeply unpleasant experiences. :smith:

LazyAngel posted:

After some procrastination and a lot of stopping and starting, I finally managed to get some Infinity painted for the first time in forever - 5 Brawlers (basic mercs).

These look excellent, great work!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Snake, weapons and equipment are to be procured on site

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Hey you guys, speaking of paints...

Go and enter this gargantuan GW paint range giveaway

You don't need to be subscribed to Warhammer+ for it.

Email your request to enter to GW at competitions@gwplc.com, with the subject line ‘Warhammer+ Competition’ and including your full name and location (state/region and country) in the main body of your email. No purchase necessary.

If you win, all I ask is that you send me some Martian Ironcrust texture paint because I'm running out.

Sent mine in, would be cool

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
If anyone is painting blood angels or anything else with a mephiston red base coat the liquitex naphthol crimson ink (with maybe a touch of titanium white for opacity) over a dark grey prime is super short cut. The dreadnought is the ink and the other two are mephiston (with some nuln oil and highlights)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

It's finally time.

I started painting again about 3 months ago after like 6-7 years off. All I had were the pieces / paints from an old citadel start to paint set, and it was actually fine for my first half dozen models as I was learning stuff, but I really didn't know what I needed in terms of additional paints, and someone recommended the Vallejo model colour / game colour 16 paints sets, so I bought one of those (I went with the Model Colour set). It's been fantastic. There are definitely colours / paints that I use more than others, but overall it's nice to have a broad set of paints that I can draw from when I need it.

I also started by going to my local dollar store and buying a set of cheap synthetic brushes, and they were totally fine for my first bunch of models. I've since bought a few nicer brushes (one sable one and some nicer synthetic ones), but i still use one of the old cheap synthetic ones for almost all my base coating.

Also, make your own wet pallet, I'm still using my take-away container and kitchen sponge wet pallet and it's great.

I did a bunch of practice on cheap Nolzur's minis when I started, and recently bought a couple of cheap sets off Etsy because I wanted to experiment on stuff I didn't really care that much about, but nothing beats actually painting something you're excited about.

EDIT

Would love some feedback on my current WIP - This Magma Wolf

It's my fist time painting fire, and I'm happy with it so far. I'll need to do a bunch of highlighting, and the body is just currently a single coat of very dark purple, but I'll eventually want it to look as if it's molten rock, with the fire coming off the hottest areas (per the sculpt). I'd love some advice on how to get the effect I'm looking for and just to really make sure it looks like a wolf made of magma.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 3, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PotatoManJack posted:

It's my fist time painting fire, and I'm happy with it so far. I'll need to do a bunch of highlighting, and the body is just currently a single coat of very dark purple, but I'll eventually want it to look as if it's molten rock, with the fire coming off the hottest areas (per the sculpt). I'd love some advice on how to get the effect I'm looking for and just to really make sure it looks like a wolf made of magma.

That's already pretty good.

Booyah- posted:

the bubbling through that area is actually common at first though, my 105 did it for the first few paint sessions before presumably some paint dried there and sealed it. but the trigger behavior you mention may not be related

You actually want to seal off those bubbles. A thin coat of bee's wax on the metal to metal contact surfaces will eliminate the bubbles.

I'm just about done magnetizing Sister Superior (soooo many options) so I'll try and post some motivational pictures.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Thank you for the input everybody.

Eej posted:

PotatoManJack posted:

I did a bunch of practice on cheap Nolzur's minis when I started, and recently bought a couple of cheap sets off Etsy because I wanted to experiment on stuff I didn't really care that much about, but nothing beats actually painting something you're excited about.

SiKboy posted:

You may never feel good enough about your skills to start painting what you want to paint. So you might as well just start painting what you want to paint now and get better as you go. Your first ten models will probably be pretty bad, but thats true of almost everyone, and you'll have more fun badly painting the models you want to paint than you will painting a dreadball team badly. Forcing yourself to paint an endless parade of models you dont particularly like is a recipe for turning yourself off the hobby. And even if it doesnt the skill progression is gradual (particularly to your own critical eye) so while your twentieth model is going to be much better than your first, it'll only be a little better than your nineteenth, so you may never get that "Ahah! Now I have reached painting mastery and can start my passion project!" moment. Plus its just paint. If you hate what you've done you can always paint over it or strip it back off and start again.

I probably shouldn't have singled out the Sisters as the target. They were the first thing that immediately caught my eye and tipped me into wanting to pick up some paintbrushes but they're not the only thing. I do want to paint some Orks and some Necrons and some Chaos and some Custodes and the more I look at the Age of Sigmar line the more I like. I definitely don't see painting other stuff as solemnly trudging through my vegetables but I will consciously pick up some Sisters earlier into the mix that I would have otherwise after reading what you all have to say.

The goal is really to paint a broad variety of stuff as a means to cultivate a new skill, consciously explore new techniques and document my progress, ultimately try to pursue painting as an end in itself. I've been browsing the STL market and there's such a variety of stuff out there that I think that's ultimately where my hobby is going to lead. I think the way I escalate up the (un)conscious (in)competence scale to that end is to paint as much stuff as possible, as much different stuff as possible, commit to doing this as frequently as is reasonable and learn along the way.

quote:

paint chat

Which is why I was drawn to the idea of having a huge variety of paints on hand, especially if I could grab it at a good rate. I'm pretty sure within 18 months I will have at least dabbled with a huge variety of colours and having them all in a box on a shelf feeds that mindset.

SiKboy posted:

theres more resources out there to help you build and paint games workshop figures than there are every other brand combined.

This ended up informing my choices. I've ended up deciding to stay within GW's WH/Citadel ecosystem for the time being as there's just so much in the way of documentation and community around what people are doing with their stuff and how they're doing it. I've made a note of the other stuff and will investigate further but that's where I've landed for this stage of the journey at least.

I'm starting off with the Age of Sigmar Paint + Tools box (which is roughly the kind of value proposition I was after) and some Stormcast/Orruks. I'm going to swing by my local hobby store and try to put some cash in the till there, I do also have a GW branch local for what they don't have and if I'm missing anything important I'll scoop up the rest online.

PotatoManJack posted:

I also started by going to my local dollar store and buying a set of cheap synthetic brushes, and they were totally fine for my first bunch of models. I've since bought a few nicer brushes (one sable one and some nicer synthetic ones), but i still use one of the old cheap synthetic ones for almost all my base coating.

Also, make your own wet pallet, I'm still using my take-away container and kitchen sponge wet pallet and it's great.

I found this from Goonhammer really helpful as a realistic overview of where the juice was worth the squeeze on early hobby spending. Really enjoyed looking at their HTPE series too. I've absorbed a bit of what paintbrushes do you need and make your own wet palette discourse through mini painting content being algorithm-ed into my Youtube Background Noise rotation. I'm probably going to just let the guy in the shop sell me whatever accessories they have on hand as my tithe to the gods of local retail.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

I probably shouldn't have singled out the Sisters as the target. They were the first thing that immediately caught my eye and tipped me into wanting to pick up some paintbrushes but they're not the only thing. I do want to paint some Orks and some Necrons and some Chaos and some Custodes and the more I look at the Age of Sigmar line the more I like. I definitely don't see painting other stuff as solemnly trudging through my vegetables but I will consciously pick up some Sisters earlier into the mix that I would have otherwise after reading what you all have to say.
I was in a similar position - started with Sisters as my first foray back into 28mm painting (as opposed to 15mm "slop green all over this tank"). To be honest, they've got a lot of detail but it isn't really that bad.. The models are good enough that you can make them look good just by colouring in the lines; the highlights just make them really pop. Duncan Rhodes did an amazing video which is really easy to follow and doesn't use any advanced techniques other than edge highlighting (which, as he emphasises, is compeltely optional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2LG4y7U28)

quote:

Which is why I was drawn to the idea of having a huge variety of paints on hand, especially if I could grab it at a good rate. I'm pretty sure within 18 months I will have at least dabbled with a huge variety of colours and having them all in a box on a shelf feeds that mindset.

This ended up informing my choices. I've ended up deciding to stay within GW's WH/Citadel ecosystem for the time being as there's just so much in the way of documentation and community around what people are doing with their stuff and how they're doing it. I've made a note of the other stuff and will investigate further but that's where I've landed for this stage of the journey at least.

I'm starting off with the Age of Sigmar Paint + Tools box (which is roughly the kind of value proposition I was after) and some Stormcast/Orruks. I'm going to swing by my local hobby store and try to put some cash in the till there, I do also have a GW branch local for what they don't have and if I'm missing anything important I'll scoop up the rest online.
If you're lucky enough to live close to a gW/hobby store, it's better to just pop down to the store and buy the paints you want so you don't waste things. GW's paint range is *huge*

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I ordered some 3D printed minis from etsy with zero idea what to expect. It's kind of a trial because I'm curious, also because the daemon prince stand in looked dope.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1085312949/prince-of-pestilence-plague-demon-28mm?ref=yr_purchases

Aranan fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 4, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ork commandos finished

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ork commandos finished

That's crazy vibrant and I love it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Livery green wasn't bright enough for a highlight so I mixed fluorescent yellow ink into it

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I think I'm finished with my magma wolf, and I'm pretty happy with the results:

I'm especially happy with how the base came out, as I figured out how to giving it the glowing hot lava effect on my own which made me feel I've actually learned something over the last 3 months of painting.

It's also given me confidence to try some other bigger projects I've been saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished my Gang Queen for my Escher gang.