Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

There's a KitchenAid attachment, although I haven't tried it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there such a thing as a decent cheap electric flour mill? And how hard is rice flour to make with one (or a manual one if those are the only good cheap ones)? Rice flour is $3-4 a pound, and rice is $.50 per pound.

I've ground the poo poo out of dry rice in a vitamix and it works great... when you don't *really* need rice flour :v:

That is to say, for a thickener on soup, you'll be fine. For anything more important than that, no dice.

If you do go this route (why? Didn't you read what I just said?) you must do it in batches and make sure the blade isn't heating up too much, or you'll get gummy rice paste.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there such a thing as a decent cheap electric flour mill? And how hard is rice flour to make with one (or a manual one if those are the only good cheap ones)? Rice flour is $3-4 a pound, and rice is $.50 per pound.

you're looking at 2-300. Most everything below will be of comparable quality. I've yet to grind rice in mine.

https://breadtopia.com/product-category/grain-mills/electric-mills/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

legendof posted:

There's a KitchenAid attachment, although I haven't tried it personally.

I'll take a look at that. We were given a KitchenAid (that must be older than we are), so it might work. Depends on how cheap we can find it and whether it's compatible with one that old.

Are the manual ones terrible / a huge pain? A lot of gluten free flour out there is just absolute garbage, but my sister in law made some pretty bomb banana bread with just plain rice flour. Of course, she lives near a Winco where you can buy rice flour in bulk for $.99 per pound or rice penne for $3 per pound. I haven't found anywhere like that in CO.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
KitchenAid is woefully inadequate.

You need a nixtamatic. :getin:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Manual grinders will take like 10 minutes to grind bread flour for a loaf. They're real slow and are built so you can throw on a belt and motor.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

For a soup that is so dairy-based, you're not going to get good results getting rid of the dairy. Best to find a potato leek soup recipe that doesn't have any dairy in the first place. I don't use a recipe when I make mine, just leeks + onions sauteed and then potatoes, then blend it and season, but you might check out something like this.

I made this with chicken broth (dairy restriction was dietary, not vegan) and a bit of garlic and it was just fantastic and received with joy and love. Thank you. Cooking rules because you get to make your friends happy. :3:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
There are quite a few grain mills worth spending money on. The Mockmill KA attachment is probably the most economical automatic one, and next up is the regular Mockmill. You can go up from there until you're looking at several thousand dollars, but for home use anything more than a KoMo is overkill. The important aspects are a consistent grind, easy grind size adjustment, and the ability to grind very finely. This video covers a few of the better options on the market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASGQWtWXBIo

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What is the most impressive recipe for pressure cooker carnitas? I am thinking of doing the foodwishes one and just pressure cooking it, but I’m curious if anyone has a favorite.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So my meal prep still sucks. I've had some issues with chicken in the past, with it being tough/rubbery and it's been a little hit and miss.

Anyway, I made this recipe http://www.littlebroken.com/2015/09/01/one-pot-chicken-and-quinoa-in-mustard-sauce/ a couple days ago. It turned out okay, it smelled good and I had to make myself stop eating it when I was portioning it out because it tasted really good. I put it in 4 of those snap on lid bowls and threw them in the freezer. I heated it up at work today, and honestly it tasted pretty bad. The quinoa was okay I guess, but the chicken and mushrooms were pretty bad. Am I freezing it wrong or something like that? I put them in the freezer afterward, I'd say the food was just "warm" not pretty hot but not room temp either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you're just saving them for the next couple days you can just refrigerate them instead of freezing them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So my meal prep still sucks. I've had some issues with chicken in the past, with it being tough/rubbery and it's been a little hit and miss.

Anyway, I made this recipe http://www.littlebroken.com/2015/09/01/one-pot-chicken-and-quinoa-in-mustard-sauce/

It doesn't look like a recipe that would hold up well to being reheated.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

If you're just saving them for the next couple days you can just refrigerate them instead of freezing them.

My work days are 11 days in a row, so unless I want to cook every couple of days I don't have much choice.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Anyway, I made this recipe http://www.littlebroken.com/2015/09/01/one-pot-chicken-and-quinoa-in-mustard-sauce/ a couple days ago. It turned out okay, it smelled good and I had to make myself stop eating it when I was portioning it out because it tasted really good. I put it in 4 of those snap on lid bowls and threw them in the freezer. I heated it up at work today, and honestly it tasted pretty bad. The quinoa was okay I guess, but the chicken and mushrooms were pretty bad. Am I freezing it wrong or something like that? I put them in the freezer afterward, I'd say the food was just "warm" not pretty hot but not room temp either.

The freezer will definitely gently caress up the texture of the mushrooms. That said, you can just replace those with literally any microwaveable, steam-in-bag veggies that you like. I would suggest you make two batches per “work week,” once for the first five days and again in the middle. Except you should cook, prepare, and store everything separately, then throw it together anytime in the 18 hours between when you get home from work one day and eat lunch the next (so the night before all the way to right before eating lunch, if you’ve portioned things out for each meal ahead of time). We can help you with some simple instructions for that if you want.

A great, easy way to spice up a quinoa bowl and introduce some variety is to just use store-bought salad dressings over top of everything. Try not to overdo it, though, as you know that stuff is pretty calorie-dense.

Edit: if you’re having trouble with poor chicken outcomes, try buying thin-sliced BS breasts or smash down regular ones, and grill on a cast iron or other heavy pan with a little bit of light oil for a few minutes on each side until they’re browned. It’s hard to gently caress up chicken this way, as long as you don’t burn it. Let it rest for a few minutes after it’s done, slice into bite-sized chunks, then throw in the fridge in a sealed container. Should last five days or so in the fridge.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 10, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do you all have any sites for recipes for pressure cookers that aren't 100 pages of MY HUSBAND LOVES THIS RECIPE

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

eonwe posted:

do you all have any sites for recipes for pressure cookers that aren't 100 pages of MY HUSBAND LOVES THIS RECIPE

This reminds me of a joke — I wish I could find the original source. It was something like, "If the government doesn't want anyone to read its secrets, it should put them in the introductory preambles to recipes on cooking blogs."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been using something called CopyMeThat to condense the recipe, but drat, I'd just kind of like to scan a recipe instead of learn about your family you know

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I assume the ten paragraph essays about how great their family is and how many times the bridge circle complimented this recipe and how quickly it gets eaten (even the blogger is on a diet, tee hee!) go first because they know in their hearts that if the essays went after the recipes then no one would ever read them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's because they want people to actually follow their blogs. They don't want people to google "cake mix tweaks" once, use the recipe, and bounce away. Cooking isn't enough to get you to come back; they need you to be invested. They want you to be drawn into the saga of Jayden and feel like you know Brayden. It turns out most people aren't great at that. The ones who are can build empires like Ree Drummond.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Who is Ree Drummond?

Rhetorical, I actually don't care.

eonwe posted:

No. The only one remotely like that I look at is Dad Cooks Dinner. Everything I've tried from there has been delicious.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Hey so I picked a giant bone in cowboy steak which I'm assuming is another term for ribeye. It's a bit over 2.5 pounds. What's the best way to cook this? I don't usually do steaks of this size. Ideally I'd like it to come out slightly on the med side of MR.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Lawnie posted:

The freezer will definitely gently caress up the texture of the mushrooms. That said, you can just replace those with literally any microwaveable, steam-in-bag veggies that you like. I would suggest you make two batches per “work week,” once for the first five days and again in the middle. Except you should cook, prepare, and store everything separately, then throw it together anytime in the 18 hours between when you get home from work one day and eat lunch the next (so the night before all the way to right before eating lunch, if you’ve portioned things out for each meal ahead of time). We can help you with some simple instructions for that if you want.

A great, easy way to spice up a quinoa bowl and introduce some variety is to just use store-bought salad dressings over top of everything. Try not to overdo it, though, as you know that stuff is pretty calorie-dense.

Edit: if you’re having trouble with poor chicken outcomes, try buying thin-sliced BS breasts or smash down regular ones, and grill on a cast iron or other heavy pan with a little bit of light oil for a few minutes on each side until they’re browned. It’s hard to gently caress up chicken this way, as long as you don’t burn it. Let it rest for a few minutes after it’s done, slice into bite-sized chunks, then throw in the fridge in a sealed container. Should last five days or so in the fridge.

Thanks for the advice! Did you mean store stuff separately in the freezer or the fridge? Our freezer is kind of bad about room, I could barely fit 8 thin snap on bowls in there, but in a few weeks I may buy a small mini freezer. And yeah, I think the last time my chicken breast sucked was because they were huge. Wal-Marts meat sucks rear end, I need to get my meat elsewhere.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My wife reads the preambles. They are sometimes like morning talk radio shows, talking about current events and trends :shrug:

I read preambles when the author did some testing and came up with reasons to use X instead of Y.

eonwe posted:

No, but I can vouch for ATK Pressure Cooker Perfection.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Hey so I picked a giant bone in cowboy steak which I'm assuming is another term for ribeye. It's a bit over 2.5 pounds. What's the best way to cook this? I don't usually do steaks of this size. Ideally I'd like it to come out slightly on the med side of MR.

You have two best options. One takes a long time, and the other takes a long time and a lot of work. Either reverse sear it (easy but time consuming) or Ducasse method it (time consuming and, while easy, also effortful).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Thanks for the advice! Did you mean store stuff separately in the freezer or the fridge? Our freezer is kind of bad about room, I could barely fit 8 thin snap on bowls in there, but in a few weeks I may buy a small mini freezer. And yeah, I think the last time my chicken breast sucked was because they were huge. Wal-Marts meat sucks rear end, I need to get my meat elsewhere.

You can safely store it separately in the fridge for about 5 days.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Bit of an odd thing but anyone have suggestions for how to use up freeze-dried mangosteen? I've used freeze-dried corn for corn cookies but never other freeze-dried fruit. It has a... sort of mangosteen flavor with a hint of like a durian funk.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, alrighty. When I get ready to go cook again I'll post in here for advice before I do it. Does anyone have any prep friendly recipes any idiot can make? A few things I hate and will not eat are sweet potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes(mostly used in cooking, I'll eat them in salad), onions and I think that's it. Seems like tomatoes and onions are in everything sometimes. I lift, so I do try to eat get ~150 grams of protein a day, but I keep plenty of whey and casein around so if some of my meals aren't super high it's not a big deal.

For my other 4 meals I cooked a pork shoulder and baked some quartered baby potatoes dipped in olive oil, haven't had a chance to eat it yet but I'm sure it should turn out a little better. I can be a bit picky about what meat I eat when I'm pulling it off a bone, so I'm not sure if it might just be more economical to get boneless stuff. I cooked a bone in pork shoulder that was about 5 lbs total and I want to say I only got about 2 lbs of meat off of it, never seen anyone else do it so I'm not sure the norm there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

If you're buying cheap chicken breasts, a shitload of cheap poultry is being affected by woody breast syndrome with causes a super gross crunchy and rubbery texture.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I was given a 3-cup Zojirushi (omg, I love the rice this thing makes!) and I'd like to use it for breakfast. It has a steel-cut oats setting, but I have regular rolled oats from Bob's Red Mill. Do everything the same? Or is there any extra prep I should take because they are not steel-cut? I figure I'll just give it a shot and make sure its on the oats setting and see what comes out.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Rolled and steel cut oats have tremendously different cooking times. I assume you'll end up with an edible paste of some kind.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

El Jebus posted:

I was given a 3-cup Zojirushi (omg, I love the rice this thing makes!) and I'd like to use it for breakfast. It has a steel-cut oats setting, but I have regular rolled oats from Bob's Red Mill. Do everything the same? Or is there any extra prep I should take because they are not steel-cut? I figure I'll just give it a shot and make sure its on the oats setting and see what comes out.

Rolled oats are already steamed and smashed so they cook in about 5 minutes on the stove, they won't really work in a rice cooker. Steel cut oats are more of a brown rice type of consistency.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Casu Marzu posted:

If you're buying cheap chicken breasts, a shitload of cheap poultry is being affected by woody breast syndrome with causes a super gross crunchy and rubbery texture.

Oh man, I was totally blaming myself for this, I had no idea it was a thing.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Totally Reasonable posted:

Rolled and steel cut oats have tremendously different cooking times. I assume you'll end up with an edible paste of some kind.

Booyah- posted:

Rolled oats are already steamed and smashed so they cook in about 5 minutes on the stove, they won't really work in a rice cooker. Steel cut oats are more of a brown rice type of consistency.

Ah, thanks. My father-in-law bought a thing of quick steel-cut and they have a fast cooking time, too, so I didn't want to assume the regular rolled would be fast or slow. I won't try the rolled in the rice cooker, thanks. I'll have to get some steel-cut and give it a try, I figure the zoji will make it perfect like everything else it does.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

moller posted:

Oh man, I was totally blaming myself for this, I had no idea it was a thing.

Ditto. I'm kind of relieved, actually, I've had this happen with chicken I was SURE I did not overcook.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You can usually tell a chicken breast is gonna be bad if you can see white lines that are parellel to the grain of muscle. Once you recognize it, you see it in pretty much all mega farmed chicken

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

I enjoy a good dive bar dinner from time to time, and I've definitely noticed this — I thought it was because of poor preparation or something.

Does brining or tenderizing help?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Does anyone keep a list of wishlist recipes? Where you don't really want to make one anytime soon, but eventually? I'm trying to think of a way to actually make the recipes from all the youtube channels I watch, instead of just making something plain and simple every week because I forgot to pick up cumin or something.

Also I want to start working though Ottolenghi's Plenty More that I found for free in my apartment, but I keep forgetting to... just look at it before going to the grocery store.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You have two best options. One takes a long time, and the other takes a long time and a lot of work. Either reverse sear it (easy but time consuming) or Ducasse method it (time consuming and, while easy, also effortful).

I ended up searing both sides and tossing it into a 375 oven for 10 min. Bit overdone on the outside but perfect interior, which worked out because my bf has some weird hard-on for overcooked meat and I have sensible opinions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I cooked some steak for my wife yesterday; salt-and-pepper, butter on the skillet, 3 minutes to a side, very basic. She liked it, and she asked to have the same thing for lunch again today ... "except if you could do the same thing, but with chicken"

That's ... sort of a vague statement, sure, but what could I possibly try? "Chicken fried steak" is kind of the opposite of that, because the meat is supposed to be chicken. I'm thinking it's probably some kind of chicken fillet, any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I cooked some steak for my wife yesterday; salt-and-pepper, butter on the skillet, 3 minutes to a side, very basic. She liked it, and she asked to have the same thing for lunch again today ... "except if you could do the same thing, but with chicken"

That's ... sort of a vague statement, sure, but what could I possibly try? "Chicken fried steak" is kind of the opposite of that, because the meat is supposed to be chicken. I'm thinking it's probably some kind of chicken fillet, any ideas?

I would pound the chicken to even it out and tenderize it, season it with salt and pepper and dredge it lightly in flour to give it a crust when it fries. The flour will also absorb the butter flavor into the crust.