Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Hellraiser, Event Horizon, and City of the Living Dead would all work pretty well.

Alternative suggestion: Mulholland Drive

Haha, I'm watching it with a friend because we both love Hellraiser and Mulholland Drive, and I described Baskin as being the lovechild of those two films.

Might check out City of the Living Dead as I've not seen that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Watched Demons 2 with an uninitiated friend and it's probably a better film if you haven't seen the first one. There are probably quite a few sequels like this.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Might check out City of the Living Dead as I've not seen that.

It's pretty bad.

THAT'S RIGHT... I SAID IT!

Edit: NM -I thought you were talking about "City of the WALKING Dead"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lesbian Bed Death posted:

It's pretty bad.

THAT'S RIGHT... I SAID IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYjqm9HIGtQ&t=45s

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

I'm no Munkey - but I know crap when I see it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Are they going to make another season of this? I love Eric Andre, but not really a fan of Man Seeking Woman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I haven't checked but last time I looked the answer was a big fat no.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I haven't checked but last time I looked the answer was a big fat no.

I looked it up, a year ago Eric said it was renewed while on Conan. Could be him joking or Adult Swim doing that weird thing they do where they wait years between new seasons.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Jedit posted:

That honestly looks boring as hell. Winding Refn's enduring contribution to cinema is likely to be the recovery of Andrew Milligan's back catalogue.

He's actually a respected director with a solid body of work.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MacheteZombie posted:

I looked it up, a year ago Eric said it was renewed while on Conan. Could be him joking or Adult Swim doing that weird thing they do where they wait years between new seasons.

Last I heard it was due this summer. It was mentioned during the big Turner Network stations rollout of shows they're to air this year under the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim stuff. Of course I guess that could've changed.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Welp, I watched Kairo (Pulse).

I'm now a little depressed and dwelling on my own mortality, so yeah, that was a pretty effective little film.

I think what really sticks with me is the audio design, the constant static/interference noises in the background ramping up when there's something spooky going on. The empty room after Michu finds Yabe and he's just a ghost stain and then it just repeats 'Help me' over and over and over was, for me, the creepiest moment of the film.

I found it interesting to note too that I spent a lot of the film tensely wound up in anticipation of a jump scare that never came.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The ghost "trip" in that movie is really good, it's like Butoh dance or something.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lol, had to turn off Baskin during last night's movie night as it was making one of my friends freak out too much. Her boyfriend was miffed because he was loving it. Invited him over for beers and to watch the rest next week.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Quote-Unquote posted:

Lol, had to turn off Baskin during last night's movie night as it was making one of my friends freak out too much. Her boyfriend was miffed because he was loving it. Invited him over for beers and to watch the rest next week.

Haha, that's great. What did you end up pairing it with?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Haha, that's great. What did you end up pairing it with?

Nothing in the end, we spent longer drinking and eating than we planned so just watched the one movie. Well, one half.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Quote-Unquote posted:

At what point did you turn it off? I was fully into it until they actually showed what was going on, might as well have left the theatre then and had a good movie watching experience.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

At what point did you turn it off? I was fully into it until they actually showed what was going on, might as well have left the theatre then and had a good movie watching experience.

Quote-Unquote said that the girl was freaked out by the movie, so I'm thinking they didn't want to turn it off for the same reasons as you did.

By the way, at what point in the movie exactly would you say they "actually showed what was going on"?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

The exact moment you see the first glimpse of freaky poo poo in the apartment block.

I've watched it before; I thought she'd be into it as a she's a huge fan of Lynch movies and Hellraiser - I got her into both when we briefly dated a few years ago. She now promises not to mock me for being frightened when we watched The Exorcist together, hehe.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So watched Holidays last night and it was one of the more well made horror anthology movies I've seen recently (especially after Southbound and Tales of Halloween); while most of the shorts seemed to be more on the purposely goofy side (such as rabbit Jesus getting his spear wound fingered), the Father Day's short was actually really effective. And as was expected, the worst short was done by Kevin Smith and starred the guy from Epic Food fame and his daughter who I only just know learned he named Harley Quinn...which makes me super uncomfortable and sad for that poor lady. Now I just need to watch Baskin and hope that Summer Camp gets an actual release at sometime, because I feel like that will never get picked up.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Quote-Unquote said that the girl was freaked out by the movie, so I'm thinking they didn't want to turn it off for the same reasons as you did.

By the way, at what point in the movie exactly would you say they "actually showed what was going on"?

When they showed the Silent Hill rejects I was a bit disappointed, and got it worse when it turned out it was just some Mad Max torture cult. Seen all that a million times before, and I wasn't thrilled with what happened afterwards. Too bad they didn't keep up the abstract horror of the first part of the movie.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Saw that a vhs version of this trashy as hell French film was up for preorder on vhsisdead. I turned to youtube to take a look and wowzers it is certainly something.

Devil Story 1985

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAFBH0UgHo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This looks badass.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

im gaye posted:

Watched Demons 2 with an uninitiated friend and it's probably a better film if you haven't seen the first one. There are probably quite a few sequels like this.

The best part is the random ghoulie out of nowhere.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

When they showed the Silent Hill rejects I was a bit disappointed, and got it worse when it turned out it was just some Mad Max torture cult. Seen all that a million times before, and I wasn't thrilled with what happened afterwards. Too bad they didn't keep up the abstract horror of the first part of the movie.

So you're of the opinion that everything we saw happened pretty literally, none of it was in the main character's own mind? What's the deal with the ending, specifically the implied time loop?

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Baskin reminds me a lot of The Lords of Salem, maybe because they're both heavily influenced by giallo though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

So you're of the opinion that everything we saw happened pretty literally, none of it was in the main character's own mind? What's the deal with the ending, specifically the implied time loop?

Oh, absolutely not. I guess "they showed what was going on" was a very bad way to phrase it. "Once the action started" would have been better.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I thought that In Fear was pretty run of the mill, but I have to admit, the scene wherein our heroine discovers her male counterpart has been poisoned by the tube of carbon monoxide in the trunk was pretty surprising to me. Something I hadn't seen before, and it stuck with me for a couple days. I also re-watched The Invitation, and found it better the second time around... probably because I wasn't three glasses of wine in, lol. Still enjoyed it. :) I'd recommend it to anyone who likes slow-burn horror/thriller flicks.

Hopefully going to see The Boy soon. Will let you all know what I think after viewing. PS thanks for the continual recommendations in this thread, they've led me to some of my favorite new horror films, such as The Taking of Deborah Logah.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Tonight, I get to join in the Alien Day festivities and see the back-to-back showing of Alien and Aliens at an Alamo Drafthouse. I've never been able to see either movie in theaters and they're two of my favorites so I'm really excited to get to do that. I also wanted to thank this thread for the constant Koji Shiraishi recommendations. I've watched Noroi, Occult, Shirome, Carved, and Cult so far. With the exception of Cult, I really loved all of them, but I'm also a total sucker for found footage movies, especially those done so well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just got a review copy of the Arrow Bluray release of "The Stuff". It's got a fun little featurette on there about the making of the movie and Larry Cohen's work in general. It's a nice enough transfer and I haven't seen the movie in well over a decade but it holds up pretty well. Goddamn that song in the commercial for The Stuff is an earworm though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Spider Covets posted:

Hopefully going to see The Boy soon. Will let you all know what I think after viewing. PS thanks for the continual recommendations in this thread, they've led me to some of my favorite new horror films, such as The Taking of Deborah Logah.

I suspect you won't like the twist but the rest of it is so weird.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like Krampus comes out today for rent on VOD.

Edit: Another thing, I just noticed that They Look Like People is coming to Netflix May 11th. I'm glad I didn't pay $7 to rent it now.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 26, 2016

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Is there any greater difference in quality between two franchise films than between Jaws and Jaws IV? Because it might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Neurophage posted:

Is there any greater difference in quality between two franchise films than between Jaws and Jaws IV? Because it might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Superman: The Movie and Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Neurophage posted:

“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.” [Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge]

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neurophage posted:

Halloween and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Superman: The Movie and Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

Superman IV is bad, but I can't hate it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Halloween and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Actually, Halloween:Resurrection manages to be worse than VI.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I suspect you won't like the twist but the rest of it is so weird.

lmao you weren't joking

That was dumb.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Neurophage posted:

Ha! I just started reading the novelization of Jaws 4. I bought it at a going out of business book sale and couldn't pass it up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't remember, is the idea of a giant shark actually out for revenge just implied by Brody's psychotic grief-stricken wife, or does the shark literally track and kill specific people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I can't remember, is the idea of a giant shark actually out for revenge just implied by Brody's psychotic grief-stricken wife, or does the shark literally track and kill specific people?

It constructs cunning traps for its victims, tracking them through a psychic connection with brody's wife.