Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So for christmas I bought myself the DLC season pass and plan to start a new file. After my no-death no-bonfire run (gotta have my invisible rings) anyone got any suggestions for builds that take advantage of the coolest equipment the DLC has to offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The DLCs give two pretty good ultra greatswords that require a lot of both dex and str if that helps. Also one of the new fists weapons that is amazing requires high str/dex too.
Another option is to make use of the ice rapier and do some damage build where you use the flynn ring and ring of blades together and poke everything to death. Last I checked a lot of people do this so it's probably pretty good.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Aldia's Keep was probably much bigger and more elaborate in early builds, given that it was one of the areas in the game that they had to pare down after the really early builds where they realized that the PS3 and 360 were literally incapable of running their game.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Manatee Cannon posted:

Aldia's Keep had the best trap in the game, and my favorite in the series. The double ogre doors were hilarious.

As bullshit uncued jumpscares go it certainly felt less punishing than the bridge to dragon shrine.

Though I was more pissed at that one because I failed to open the shortcut beforehand. :doh:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It must have taken some effort to get "punished" on the Dragon Shrine bridge.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

double nine posted:

So err, dex weapons? I'm rolling a swordsman and so far the dex opportunities have been lackluster at best. The best I've been able to find is a falchion and I have to keep 2 of them because the first one will break before the next bonfire/boss fight unless I switch them out. I'm also not impressed with their damage for the area that I'm in (pirate cove, +4 upgraded falchion). Am I doing it wrong? Is there a BSS in dark souls 2 that I failed to find? Are dex weapons simply less good than strength weaponry?

Try dual-wielding a rapier with a curved sword like the scimitar or falchion. The double slash on the power stance hits in a wide arc and is good for hitting enemies with weird hit boxes, like dogs. That means it perfectly covers the weaknesses of the rapier. With the old leo ring, ring of blades, and eventually Flynn's ring, this combination gives you great DPS and good versatility. Remember you can still use the running and rolling attacks of the curved sword even while in power stance. The running attack comes out very fast and can help a lot with quick, unpredictable enemies.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I haven't played this game in a while, but last I did I remember doing alright with my mundane build. Now it seems to take forever to kill anything. It seems like Santier's Spear was nerfed at some point.

Are there any other weapons that are good to use with mundane infusion or should I just respec completely?

Being on NG++ probably doesn't help with making things easy either.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

As bullshit uncued jumpscares go it certainly felt less punishing than the bridge to dragon shrine.

Though I was more pissed at that one because I failed to open the shortcut beforehand. :doh:

You can... fall off that bridge?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

You can... fall off that bridge?

The dragons will come down and destroy the bridge if you take too long or destroy too many eggs beforehand. Didn't you see the prerelease trailers? :v:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy crap, now I wanna just go and do that.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Holy crap, now I wanna just go and do that.

You have to destroy at least one egg (which is unavoidable if you're going through the zone normally) for the dragons to swoop down. If you warp to Dragon Shrine and head backwards to see it, it won't trigger.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It takes them so loving long to destroy the bridge unless you destroy a bunch of eggs (basically requiring you to go out of your way to do so) you can just walk straight across without stopping and be fine. I had no idea you could die on that bridge until people on the internet told me, and once they did I made it a prerogative to break every egg I saw when I invaded people in the Dragon Shrine, which apparently counts.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It takes them so loving long to destroy the bridge

I stopped walking every time the camera sway got more intense, because I assumed going too fast would make the bridge collapse :ironicat:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Can you infuse the Ice Rapier with lightning? Looks like it keeps the same stats either way, right? I suppose you would probably cripple the long range attack that way though...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

Can you infuse the Ice Rapier with lightning? Looks like it keeps the same stats either way, right? I suppose you would probably cripple the long range attack that way though...

You could. Not much point since it wouldn't really benefit. Either infuse with magic for stronger projectile attacks, or keep it pure physical for Leo Ring shenanigans.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Genocyber posted:

You could. Not much point since it wouldn't really benefit. Either infuse with magic for stronger projectile attacks, or keep it pure physical for Leo Ring shenanigans.

Would Estocs still be the best poky sword for Faith builds then?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

Would Estocs still be the best poky sword for Faith builds then?

That or Espada Ropera. Dunno if you're asking for PVE or PVP but Estoc in left and Espada in right is good for both. You got a parry no matter what, and you can either powerstance for double poke, or not for the estoc r2 slash.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

For the love of gently caress. I made it 90% through the pirate place (or so I think anyway) only to get killed by a poison attack?! I didn't even know those vikings droopped poison?!

This game ... I'm going to step away from it for a while.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The pots in one of the rooms contain poison. Backstap one of the sleeping Varangians and lure the other one out.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I sort of diverged from the walkthrough I was following and now I don't know where to go next. I've done FoFG, Heide's, No Man's Wharf and just beat the Ruin Sentinels. I've got every bonfire in the bastille except for the one behind Straid. It looks like there are several paths for me, but some sound more suited for the late game. Is there a "correct" path? The walkthrough suggested Huntsman's Copse before the bastille, should I go and do that?

I feel like I should hunt down a Fragrant Branch ASAP. Will any of my early game boss souls provide a weapon on par with my Bastard Sword +6, or will they need to be upgraded too?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you're at the end of the bastille there's really no reason to slog through the copse and on to Iron Keep before going back to beat lost sinner, as she's not that much harder than old iron king. Bonfire warping means it doesn't really matter either way though.

No fresh weapon is going to beat a +6 weapon, boss soul or not.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There is no correct path, you can do the four main routes in any order you please. Go in whatever direction you feel like. Sinner's Rise (the area beyond Lost Bastille) is really obnoxious in all sorts of ways, but if you can defeat the Lost Sinner then that'll get you a Fragrant Branch. There are also at least two on the route beyond Huntsman's Copse, so you can certainly do that if you prefer. It'll be easier than the Sinner's Rise shitfest.

I wouldn't use your first branch on Straid though, he sells some spells and also forges unique weapons from certain boss souls, but those sorts of weapons tend to have high stat requirements. Better to use that branch back at Majula to open the final path.

If your bastard sword works for you then keep using it. One +6 weapon you like is far better than a bunch of +3 weapons you're kinda ehh about. This isn't Final Fantasy, there's no ladder of increasingly "good" weapons, just weapons with different fighting styles. If anything the plain vanilla poo poo Lenigrast sells is the top-tier stuff. Just remember to develop some sort of ranged attack capability (i.e. a bow) by the time you reach the late-game Shrine of Amana or that place will make you see red with its hideous amounts of bullshit.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr Dog posted:

Sinner's Rise (the area beyond Lost Bastille) is really obnoxious in all sorts of ways

Mitigated entirely by summoning Lucatiel to help you out/be the fall guy who gets jumped on by exploding zombies. She isn't necessary at all for the boss fight so long as you stay behind it and don't get greedy with your attacks.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Genocyber posted:

Doesn't the Leo Ring boost elemental damage of thrusting attacks as well in DS2? It seems like the extra damage from the infusion would be always worth it unless the enemy has massive elemental resistance.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
A lot of problematic areas in this game could have been fixed if they'd kept the rusty iron ring in some fashion. Maybe make it a magic or equipment effect or something, that made water not slow you.

Also, turns out steam kept my saves so I didn't have to start a new file after all. Started Sunken King and I have to say, I really like it so far. It's very reminiscent of the town areas of the Prepare to Die content from the first games, which I love because that was some of my favorite parts of that game.

EDIT: Sinh and the Squalid Queen were super easy though. I dodged most of their attacks just by walking. They were interesting fights though, if easy. I really liked sunken king, I really hope the other DLCs live up to it.

EDIT2: I'm not a fan of iron king. Far too reminiscent of sen's fortress with all the moving platforms, narrow ledges and elevators. The enemies usually explode themselves so I often just wind up walking into empty rooms. The only threat is falling to my death. Finished and it was lame throughout except the fume knight and alonne who were spectacular.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 26, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sunken is probably my favourite.

Iron has some annoying areas but the fight with Raime at the end is excellent. It's that excellent feeling of Dark Souls at its best where you're getting killed over and over again but you know it's your fault for loving up. That slow sweep is hell of weird though: dodge in the same direction it's going and it just follows you at dodge speed and immediately nails you as your iframes end. Dodge against it and you encounter it again at the end of the swing. But yeah, dodging perpendicular to it works.

Ivory king is Dark Souls on nightmare mode. All enemies have ridiculous poise, there's a massive gauntlet of enemies between every pair of bonfires, everything hits like a train, the NPC invaders are all assholes that hide behind powerful enemies so I hope you stocked up on Giant Seeds. On the plus side, the final battle is very cinematic and cool looking. Oh don't worry, you'll be seeing a whole heck of a lot of it. The only feeling I had when finishing Ivory King is "thank gently caress that's finally over". I absolutely hated it. Everything about it felt horribly cheap and unfair. I do kinda like what they tried to do with that final battle but it's just such a clusterfuck and a lot of factors are just out of your control.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Ivory king is Dark Souls on nightmare mode. All enemies have ridiculous poise, there's a massive gauntlet of enemies between every pair of bonfires, everything hits like a train, the NPC invaders are all assholes that hide behind powerful enemies so I hope you stocked up on Giant Seeds. On the plus side, the final battle is very cinematic and cool looking. Oh don't worry, you'll be seeing a whole heck of a lot of it. The only feeling I had when finishing Ivory King is "thank gently caress that's finally over". I absolutely hated it. Everything about it felt horribly cheap and unfair. I do kinda like what they tried to do with that final battle but it's just such a clusterfuck and a lot of factors are just out of your control.

Pubby tears are delicious.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Genocyber posted:

Pubby tears are delicious.
But you are a pubby

I think I enjoy Iron and Ivory the most. Sunken is cool, too, but I like the designs of the former two areas a lot more. I definitely prefer the latter two's final bosses, as well, but Sinh is cool.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pubbie means not a goon, it's like goy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Sheep-Goats posted:

Pubbie means not a goon, it's like goy.
You're also a pubbie

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004

Nahxela posted:

But you are a pubby

I think I enjoy Iron and Ivory the most. Sunken is cool, too, but I like the designs of the former two areas a lot more. I definitely prefer the latter two's final bosses, as well, but Sinh is cool.

Using Melee quality build.

Sunken was quite easy overall, Elana took 2 tries; got killed when trying to take out the summons. Ignored the summons and just focused on the boss, and went down quite quickly. Sinh took a few tries but was easy once I got the pattern down.

Iron King had some annoying enemies, such as the possessed armor and the iron giants. The worst are the bosses though; I've never had any trouble with the bosses in the main game, but Fume Knight I had to get a Sunbro to help. Smelter I had to clear out the areas first until they stopped respawning, and had the NPC Phantoms help out, and using poison arrows helped immensely. Still working on Alonne.

I'll just imagine Ivory King is more annoying.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

It is a Christmas miracle! I parried a straight sword with the Zweihander.

Also I haven't played since August, did From fix the netcode or something? I don't think I had a single desync freeze, even with people who were lagging.

I sniffed around Ivory king for a bit, seemed eaiser than the other DLCs. The two enemies I killed got stunned and died in two zwei hits.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What the gently caress does "pubby" even mean in a game with anonymous multiplayer that constantly connects you to multiple other people involuntarily with little to no input from you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The same thing pubbie means in any other video game: "Heh my collective group of nerds is generally better at this video game than the un-swaddled masses :c00lbert:" which is in most cases not true, everyone's equally poo poo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It means he's being a dumb baby.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
What's the most recent information on the re-release of DS2 for next-gen systems? Most of the articles I can find are from last month, and I'm wondering how the PC version is going to work. I guess I don't really mind buying the game again for the switch from DX9 to DX11, but has there been any word about whether or not there will be a discount for people who already own the game? The few screenshots that I can track down make it look like the graphical upgrade will be worth it, and combined with all the effects made available in GeDoSaTo it should look amazing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
GeDoSaTo doesn't work with DX11 titles. Also, Namco has yet to announce anything concerning how they'll handle the PC version.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

GeDoSaTo doesn't work with DX11 titles. Also, Namco has yet to announce anything concerning how they'll handle the PC version.

Well, that's unfortunate. Maybe it will be updated to work for DX11, or people will just have to determine whether or not DS2 looks better with DX11 and no GeDoSaTo or DX9 with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What the gently caress does "pubby" even mean in a game with anonymous multiplayer that constantly connects you to multiple other people involuntarily with little to no input from you.

HEH, looks like this loser didn't get an invite to the secret goon guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
All goons are the same pubbies they love to despise. RIP.