Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dear lord what is it that compels goons to form strong opinions on things they don't actually care or know anything about.

"can you eat that much meat by yourself in a year" is not a metric used in determining whether an animal is appropriate game.

And you can absolutely safely and humanely kill a moose with an arrow.

Guy in the gif didn't though

Goons are a very contentious people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zil posted:

Am not.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zil posted:

Maybe we wouldn't be if you nerds didn't have such awful opinions.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kwyndig posted:

That's a bull moose in the picture, assuming you can kill it what are you going to do with 700 pounds of raw moose? You only eat around half that over an entire year so I hope you and your family enjoy the taste of moose.

Most hunters take their portion of meat, the hide and antlers as well, and then either sell the rest to a butcher, or donate it to a local tribe or local food program.

I won't deny their are lovely hunters out there doing it for their green-peen, but hunters as a whole do a whole fuckin lot for nature conservation efforts. There's no point in hunting something to extinction or destroying its habitats, that just means you won't have anything left to hunt.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dear lord what is it that compels goons to form strong opinions on things they don't actually care or know anything about.

"can you eat that much meat by yourself in a year" is not a metric used in determining whether an animal is appropriate game.

And you can absolutely safely and humanely kill a moose with an arrow.

Guy in the gif didn't though

look buddy, my meat comes from a whole organic bespoke local farmer and is packed in the finest polymers that science has

and that isn't blood its myoglobin so dont freak out

thank god it doesn't come from animals, that would be barbaric

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i like the cool funy picture of the animal being killed and or the person being killed it is a good picter for laughing

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The guy lived, moose farded and shidded and deaded in his pants.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Most hunters take their portion of meat, the hide and antlers as well, and then either sell the rest to a butcher, or donate it to a local tribe or local food program.

I won't deny their are lovely hunters out there doing it for their green-peen, but hunters as a whole do a whole fuckin lot for nature conservation efforts. There's no point in hunting something to extinction or destroying its habitats, that just means you won't have anything left to hunt.

...yeah, about that. Deer in these parts were hunted into extinction when hunting wasn't regulated. White-tailed deer had to be reintroduced to the area and then tightly regulated to actually get the population back up. Even non-lovely hunters tend toward a "no drop of rain believes itself responsible for the flood" mentality. I mean, I only killed three deer last year, what's the big deal? Well, everybody else also did and now you've wrecked their population. Oops!

Now all of the local hunters strictly prohibit who can hunt on whatever land they own to basically "me, my dog, and my brother if I decide I like him enough this week" because ALL OF THE DEER ON MY LAND ARE MINE, YOU HEAR ME? MINE! You can sometimes snag a deer on state game lands but, you know, when you have every other hunter there because so much private land is totally closed to everybody else the pickings can be slim.

poo poo has gotten better as most hunters realize that you do have do, you know, not clear cut the forest and not hunt things into extinction to keep those things but there's always that gnawing in the back of their minds of "well...Chuck has more antlers than me so if I just snag an extra one this year..." There'd be way more poaching if there weren't penalties for it.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...yeah, about that. Deer in these parts were hunted into extinction when hunting wasn't regulated. White-tailed deer had to be reintroduced to the area and then tightly regulated to actually get the population back up. Even non-lovely hunters tend toward a "no drop of rain believes itself responsible for the flood" mentality. I mean, I only killed three deer last year, what's the big deal? Well, everybody else also did and now you've wrecked their population. Oops!

Now all of the local hunters strictly prohibit who can hunt on whatever land they own to basically "me, my dog, and my brother if I decide I like him enough this week" because ALL OF THE DEER ON MY LAND ARE MINE, YOU HEAR ME? MINE! You can sometimes snag a deer on state game lands but, you know, when you have every other hunter there because so much private land is totally closed to everybody else the pickings can be slim.

poo poo has gotten better as most hunters realize that you do have do, you know, not clear cut the forest and not hunt things into extinction to keep those things but there's always that gnawing in the back of their minds of "well...Chuck has more antlers than me so if I just snag an extra one this year..." There'd be way more poaching if there weren't penalties for it.

look i'll level with you, i didn't read all of that, but deer are tasty, and so is beer and i think we can all agree on that

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM 10 POUNDS OF MOOSE MEAT INTO MY MOUTH. ITS GAMEY AND TOUGH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START CHOKING ON RAW MOOSE MEAT. I CHEW FOR HOURS AND I CHEW HARD. MAKIN GAGGING SOUNDS WHEN I GULP DOWN A HUNK OF GRITTY MUSCLE AND SOMETIMES WHEN I CHOKE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED A BULL MOOSE FROM 10 FEET AWAY WITH A BOW. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE BEST HUNTING SPOTS AND I USE THEM ALL SO THAT THE MOOSE NEVER KNOW WHAT HIT EM. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I HUNT

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM 10 POUNDS OF MOOSE MEAT INTO MY MOUTH. ITS GAMEY AND TOUGH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START CHOKING ON RAW MOOSE MEAT. I CHEW FOR HOURS AND I CHEW HARD. MAKIN GAGGING SOUNDS WHEN I GULP DOWN A HUNK OF GRITTY MUSCLE AND SOMETIMES WHEN I CHOKE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED A BULL MOOSE FROM 10 FEET AWAY WITH A BOW. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE BEST HUNTING SPOTS AND I USE THEM ALL SO THAT THE MOOSE NEVER KNOW WHAT HIT EM. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I HUNT

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
deer are human sized rats, change my mind.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

no

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Rats are human sized deer, mind my change

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

In Vermont they're begging people to hunt this year because the herds are grossly overpopulated.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you should also let your cats out every night for exercise.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

you should also let your cats out every night for exercise.

you can't let a cat out, you can only open the door when it requests it :smuggo:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

Rats are human sized deer, mind my change

if a rat was human sized it's balls would be so big it couldn't walk

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Change are human sized mind, deer my rats

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
if deer were such extraordinary prey why can i hit them with my minivan hmm

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pimblor posted:

if deer were such extraordinary prey why can i hit them with my minivan hmm

we killed all the bob cats and cougars and replaced them with rifles

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Where do you live that deer aren’t grossly overpopulated to the point that they starve to death or die to plague? We killed off most of their predators and they don’t seem to have a built in tapering mechanism to their breeding. Most years people get free extra tags for bucks over a certain age.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raptor1033 posted:

Where do you live that deer aren’t grossly overpopulated to the point that they starve to death or die to plague? We killed off most of their predators and they don’t seem to have a built in tapering mechanism to their breeding. Most years people get free extra tags for bucks over a certain age.

Europe or the UK?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ft954vXPa4

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Vietnamwees posted:

That single tear drop just says it all...

"I'm an Italian-American who made a living by aping Indian culture"?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe we wouldn't be if you nerds didn't have such awful opinions.

Do goons have awful opinions or do we have awful opinions because we are goons? Yes. To both. Not sure why I bothered asking.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My step dad bagged a moose once when out for deer when I was a kid. I think we took over two years to finish it. Luckily he was with his doomsday prepper brother who had the gear to get it dressed and packed before anything spoiled.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Pro click

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Sadly a photoshop.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheNothingNew posted:

"I'm an Italian-American who made a living by aping Indian culture"?

"In a carefully choreographed ad campaign designed to shift the onus of pollution from the industrial sector to the actions of the individual."

Yeah, I think the tear says all that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

y'all must be great at parties

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Cant wait for gchat

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The MSJ posted:

I thought black bears are more aggressive than grizzlies. Like, if you climb a tree they will climb up with you.

If a black bear wants to attack you, it's either defending cubs or thinks you're a meal. If the latter, if you put up a fight they'll usually give up and go find some berries or something because you're not worth the effort.

Grizzlies either defend cubs, or their territory. If you fight, they consider you a territorial challenger and attack with as much as they have in them. If you pretend to die, they'll saunter off and hopefully not eat you. If in the chance they consider you prey, you're pretty much doomed.

In the case of cub defense, grizzlies are bigger and tougher than black bears, and their attacks are more likely to cause graver injuries.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Which bear attacked Leonardo DiCaprio in the 2015 film The Revenant which was based off of the novel of the same name by Michael Punke published in 2002?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I LOVE INTERACTING WITH MY FAVORITE BRANDS AND FRANCHISES! LOOK AT ALL MY POP CULTURE!

DID YOU KNOW THE CAKE IS A LIE?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
You know, in a game that was already full of gently caress You’s that one was by far the most insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Which bear attacked Leonardo DiCaprio in the 2015 film The Revenant which was based off of the novel of the same name by Michael Punke published in 2002?

That was a grizzly