Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

jimmychoo posted:

some of you dont have rat bastards and it shows

Oh man some of these are scary accurate to my cats... With the exception of one that needs a few categories combined:

Rose Quartz (foster): Distinguished Baby
So sweet and gentle, loves attention and loves everyone. Very chill and submissive with other cats.

Batman (right): True Distinguished
Very sweet, but prefers to hang back and let others get attention first. Defacto household groomer. Majestic fur. Shoulder ride king.

Bug (middle): True Baby
Must sleep with/on my wife every night and loudly demands it. Tolerates me sleeping there too I guess. Initially scared of strangers. He and Batman will try to groom each other at the same time, which inevitably becomes a wrestling match at some point.

Quinn (left): Distinguished Rat Baby Bastard
Super affectionate and demands attention loudly from us and strangers alike (when she feels like it). Refuses to ever use the litterbox, but has compromised on the washable puppy pad I put in front of it. Eats plastic like it's manna from heaven. Bullies Rose and any other foster cats. Demands grooming from Batman but will never, ever reciprocate. Bigger and stronger than either of our boy cats (she's a girl). Is pure confidence and does not give a gently caress.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah one of my cats basically fills up that bingo card.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
when do cats baby teeth fall out? i have a feeling that stepping on kitten teeth is a lot worse than stepping on puppy teeth

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've had several litters of foster kittens and I've never noticed the baby teeth on the ground. I guess I get them with the vacuum?

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

i think they usually swallow them. i found two of my kitten’s but vet told me that was rare. they’re like hollowish so stepping on them wouldn’t be bad anyway

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've had several litters of foster kittens and I've never noticed the baby teeth on the ground. I guess I get them with the vacuum?

from carol and tandy i collected six or seven. they tended to lose them right on their blanket but one time tandy spat one out in front of his food bowl

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

My Spirit Otter posted:

when do cats baby teeth fall out? i have a feeling that stepping on kitten teeth is a lot worse than stepping on puppy teeth

also i did step on one that i didn't save and it was hollow so it broke instead which was a little sad

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

awesome, thanks guys

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I forgot that one of the vocalizations my cat makes is she chirps at me whenever she hears my electric kettle beep. It's because I mix in some hot water from it into her canned food to heat it up a bit. I guess she is letting me the water is ready so that I can make her food. Sadly I'm the big mean giant because most of the time it just means I'm making coffee for myself.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

One of our cats will get angry at us when we sneeze and be vocal about it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I had to take in my late father-in-law's cats a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been around chatty cats since I was a teen, and both of them are vocal. It's going to take a little getting used to, especially since one of them is almost identical to the therapy cat of 14 years I lost on April 12.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

I forgot that one of the vocalizations my cat makes is she chirps at me whenever she hears my electric kettle beep. It's because I mix in some hot water from it into her canned food to heat it up a bit. I guess she is letting me the water is ready so that I can make her food. Sadly I'm the big mean giant because most of the time it just means I'm making coffee for myself.

i get an extended “meeeep” if i turn on the tap near dinner time because i used to mix water into his food when he was a baby even though he hates extra water in his food. i also get a hearty scream when i go retrieve any socks for unknown reasons

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

cash crab posted:

i get an extended “meeeep” if i turn on the tap near dinner time because i used to mix water into his food when he was a baby even though he hates extra water in his food. i also get a hearty scream when i go retrieve any socks for unknown reasons

BEWARE THE FOOT EATERS

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

jimmychoo posted:

BEWARE THE FOOT EATERS

oh you best believe my boy loves a good toe chomp

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

My Spirit Otter posted:

If you're trying to actually find some to keep, you more or less just have to watch them constantly because those kitten teeth will just fall out of their head whenever and you have a very small window of opportunity to grab it before they eat it.

You increase your chances if they have a toy they like to chew and tug on.

Also I've found some of my kittens; baby molars before when I stepped on them on the stairs. They are tiny and hollow and probably won't hurt at all if you find them that way.

Boris Galerkin posted:

My two youngest kittens know when it's time to eat, because my partner or I will yell out "Alexa, feed the cats", which triggers the turning on of lights in the areas where all the cats eat, and the kitchen. And they know it's just for that specific phrase and not any other we say. When they hear the magic words, they get very excited and start trilling and meowing and running around. Pippa will immediately run over to her big sister Tapioca to tell her how excited she is that it's food time.

It's very cute.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

My two youngest kittens know when it's time to eat, because my partner or I will yell out "Alexa, feed the cats", which triggers the turning on of lights in the areas where all the cats eat, and the kitchen. And they know it's just for that specific phrase and not any other we say. When they hear the magic words, they get very excited and start trilling and meowing and running around. Pippa will immediately run over to her big sister Tapioca to tell her how excited she is that it's food time.

It's very cute.
This is so goddamn cute that I feel like it requires video evidence.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Jayne Doe posted:

This is so goddamn cute that I feel like it requires video evidence.

I will do my best.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I got to spend the first few minutes of my Sunday at 5am waking up to The Noise and then scrubbing the floor. Yay.

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

It's very cute.

People say you can't train a cat but you 100% can train one, just like how you train a dog or a crow or any other animal that zookeepers have trained for decades or centuries. You just reward them for an action with a que until they make the association.

I've train my cat a few commands like sit, stand, and come here. People are always amazed or don't believe me but I'm like you have a dog that can sit on command how is this any different?

E: here's a gif/video from just now:

I tell her to sit and she does. She knows I usually tell her to stand after so you can see she raises her paw to prepare for that but I keep talking to her so she knows not to do it unless I say the magic words. She stands up immediately when I do. She normally actually stands up on her legs but sometimes she does the minimal :effort: and does what you see in the video. She does it without treats in my hands too :3:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 12, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You absolutely can train cats commands but in my experience it's much harder to get them to connect the word with action than it is dogs. You have to be very precise and prompt during the training phase. Which is true for dogs too.. but cats feel like they're on another level.

Plus the student has a habit of wandering off and falling asleep if they get tired of your lectures.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah. Some tips I have are to use a clicker and also have a physical cue with your hands. The hand cue helps (and is what she's staring at) and after clicking the first thing I do/did was pet her and call her a smart girl (cause she is) before giving her a treat. Also, yes be precise about the verbal cues/commands. You want to talk to her so that she learns that the command is "sit" instead of sounds in general.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xzzy posted:

You absolutely can train cats commands but in my experience it's much harder to get them to connect the word with action than it is dogs. You have to be very precise and prompt during the training phase. Which is true for dogs too.. but cats feel like they're on another level.

Plus the student has a habit of wandering off and falling asleep if they get tired of your lectures.

Ya, once you get the command and action connected they’re pretty similar to dogs, but gently caress me getting that connection can be rough with a cat. Especially if they’re not particularly food/treat motivated. On the flip side, I’ve had cats that I’ve never been able to train because they’re so food motivated that they completely ignore everything else. “gently caress YOU GIVE ME THE TREAT I CAN SMELL IT ON YOU.”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My cats know "boop" and "stand up" at a minimum, plus hand gestures, but listen to varying degrees. One of my cats loving loves standing up, it's his favorite thing to do, he'll do it even if he only thinks it might make you happy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The one cat we have that loves walks knows "outside" but only when I say it with a certain excitement level. When I drop that bomb it's a five meow alarm.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

glad my cat has gotten used to the top-entry modkat litter box. she tracks and moves litter like crazy and my place isn't big enough for that poo poo. I was thinking of getting once of those fancy litter robots, but they have *just* enough issues to take pause (and doesn't really solve the tracking issue which is my number 1 concern)

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Both of my cats know how to give "high five", and the smarter one also knows "sit", "please", "stand up", and "touch" (when there's an object or one of those easy-for-pets dinner bells in front of her).

For general words they both react to "treat", "catfood", and "outside" when said with a specific cadence.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
I've been looking after a local stray for the last few years, she's now comfortable with being in my flat for much of the day and spending the night as well. However she still wants some outdoor time, which after a scare with a local fox I'm trying to curb.

She's using litter boxes to pee inside, but seems to be reluctant to go no. 2 - I've got one box in the corner of the bathroom and the other in the kitchen, I'm going to either move or add another in a more sheltered corner of the living room that she occasionally sniffs at, but wanted to know if anybody else had any tips here?

I've also been monitoring her health, sometimes when she's outdoors she'll dig and sit but do no toilet - I've also noticed a darker looking dribble sometimes, but later she'll do a healthy-looking pee in her litter box. A few months ago she went to the vet for this and was given an anti-inflammatory, I suspected too much dry food was partly to blame too so cut down on that and it seemed to help for a while. A lot of the searches for these symptoms suggest immediate danger, but is this definitely the case? She seems to have bouts of this from time to time.

Also - say hi to Nancy!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Hi Nancy! :3: I hope someone can help you out.

My cat is a former stray, and even though I've had her for almost 6 years now, she still pees in certain areas when certain conditions are met. I've been using Nature's Miracle, but she keeps going to the same areas, and I've seen mentioned in this thread that something about the formula changed and now that brand is no good.

So I'm wondering what you all are using to clean up cat piss, if not Nature's MIracle.

She tends to go long periods with no problem, but now that the weather is getting warm and I've had the windows open, I think she's smelling/seeing other cats and trying to make sure they don't mess with her territory (I think) so she marks on the rugs by the sliding doors where she sees them.

I'm on the verge of just buying completely waterproof rugs to put there because the carpet-type rugs absorb the piss and it's hard to even tell that she pissed there, and then cleaning them is a bitch. It'd be easier if I could just see a puddle and then wipe it up.

Also just now I finally figured out where the piss smell in one room is coming from, I guess she nailed the curtain at some point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to cat nail clippers? I live by myself and my cat is not at all cooperative - I've historically taken him to the vet to get it done but the last few times have had mixed results. I just got back from a vet trip where they said he was simply too scared and uncooperative, even after having been given gabapentin a few hours prior (at the vet's request) and this isn't the only time this has happened. It's extremely stressful for me because he's also not the most well-behaved cat normally and having sharp nails leads to a lot of scratching and bleeding on my end. I'm sort of at my wits end, wrangling him for these vet trips is extremely taxing and having them fail half the time anyway just makes the whole thing feel futile.

He has a lot of cat towers and trees but none of them actually facilitate filing down his nails - they tend to be made of woven rope or similar material. Would something made of wood be an option? I also see things like pads with replaceable sandpaper but I wasn't sure how safe or useful those are.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Have you tried human nail clippers? It can go a lot faster.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Countblanc posted:

He has a lot of cat towers and trees but none of them actually facilitate filing down his nails - they tend to be made of woven rope or similar material. Would something made of wood be an option? I also see things like pads with replaceable sandpaper but I wasn't sure how safe or useful those are.

Cats instinctually sharpen their claws, since they are obligate carnivores and predators. Even in a wood scratcher, the claws will still shed their sheaths and sharpen up. They’re not like dog claws, if that’s what you’re thinking of. Manual filing/clipping or plastic claw caps is the only way.

The claw caps have the bonus of being brightly colored, so you can embarrass the little brat. :v:

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Have you tried human nail clippers? It can go a lot faster.

This is the way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Embrace the claws, I let my cats maintain their own nails and everything is fine. They do get an inspection every couple weeks to make sure nothing is getting ingrown (usually only an issue with elderly cats when they get less diligent about using a scratching post) but that's it.

I guess if I'm feeling charitable I'll trim their nails just before a vet visit but our current pair are chill enough that I've stopped bothering.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I assume you're trying to wrap them up like a burrito when clipping? I used to have to do that for one of my cats. He's learned to sorta tolerate it knowing he'll get treats after.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i wait until they’re sleeping

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
So....butt bongos. My cat loves it when I spank his butt. But I find myself wondering: where is the optimal spanking location? Is there any research on this?

I aim for the base of his spine right above his tail, and also along the sides of his back hip area. My cat's docile af and never indicates he's unhappy with where I'm spanking, but I also do it only for a few seconds because I'm afraid of overstimulating or hurting him.

He's a giant teddybear who's never swat or hissed at me in his life, and I wonder if he would even let me know if he didn't like what I was doing. :ohdear:

Me: Speak to me, cat!! DO. YOU. LIKE. THIS?? Meow once for Yes and twice for No!
Him:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Embrace the claws, I let my cats maintain their own nails and everything is fine. They do get an inspection every couple weeks to make sure nothing is getting ingrown (usually only an issue with elderly cats when they get less diligent about using a scratching post) but that's it.

I guess if I'm feeling charitable I'll trim their nails just before a vet visit but our current pair are chill enough that I've stopped bothering.

what does an ingrown cat nail look like? is this common?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As suggested, I've only seen it on elderly cats.

If they don't get trimmed or naturally maintained by clawing the nail will continue to grow in an arc and eventually impale a toebean. I guess ingrown may not be the correct term for it.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

MrYenko posted:

The claw caps have the bonus of being brightly colored, so you can embarrass the little brat. :v:

We made sure to give them matching colors and accent nails :sissies:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

As suggested, I've only seen it on elderly cats.

If they don't get trimmed or naturally maintained by clawing the nail will continue to grow in an arc and eventually impale a toebean. I guess ingrown may not be the correct term for it.

ya, sorry i was at work when i read the post at work and i guess i glossed over it a bit.

im on my first cat and have no first hand experience with cat problems so when someone mentions something ive never heard of i get questiony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

So I'm wondering what you all are using to clean up cat piss, if not Nature's MIracle.

Anti Icky Poo