Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Gotta love an all employee meeting where they announce your company made over 140% of the budget for this year, and follow it up with the rest of the companies in the division only made 40%, so no bonuses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My teaching colleague at the university just absolutely flat-out refuses to use an email client and instead routes everything through his Yahoo mail account. About four times a year one of his emails (either sending or recieving) gets blocked by the school's mail server and doesn't arrive and someone has to send him an SMS to ask about what time the exams are tomorrow because nobody got his mail. These are just the incidents that I know about, there must be more because he's inserted himself into various positions of minor authority and has to send a bunch of emails to multiple recipients in the school. It's been three and a half years of this poo poo and today he made fun of me in front of our boss for caring that his emails regularly go undelivered. I'm just going to print everything and stick it in his mailbox in the teachers room from now on, gently caress that guy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

greazeball posted:

I'm just going to print everything and stick it in his mailbox in the teachers room from now on, gently caress that guy.

That's probably what he wants.

Does his age start with a 6, or maybe a 7?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
http://conferencecall.biz/

you're welcome

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Ughh thanks for reminding me that I had three conference calls on Friday, and all of them had the neverending echo thing in addition to people playing hold music etc. One of the calls is recurring, and th echo has happened to this woman multiple times because she never mutes herself. Pretty sure she has a medical degree and a PhD.

If you're going to HOST THE MEETING, MUTE PEOPLE

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
jfc that conferencecall.biz site is amazing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hmmxkrazee posted:

jfc that conferencecall.biz site is amazing

i listened to it for half an hour and it's fallen off a bit due to user submissions imo

we used to do the conferencecall.biz challenge: put it in a conference room, sit around the table, nobody can talk or do anything. last person to leave the room "wins"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 24, 2020

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Somebody check Sundae's post history for June, cause he was obviously feeling a lot more optimistic about the world then.

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
All day agile training today and tomorrow someone please kill me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i listened to it for half an hour and it's fallen off a bit due to user submissions imo

we used to do the conferencecall.biz challenge: put it in a conference room, sit around the table, nobody can talk or do anything. last person to leave the room "wins"

This is a war crime

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Tiax Rules All posted:

Tomorrow is Mandatory Fun Day.

'Funny' Christmas jumpers are suggested.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Volmarias posted:

This is a war crime

it's not a war crime if you get consent and have a safeword

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's probably what he wants.

Does his age start with a 6, or maybe a 7?

He's in his 40s, he's just lazy and doesn't want to change from his precious webmail. He also can't print from the networked copiers "because he has a mac".

The Sean posted:

This is likely illegal per FERPA. If your university has some type of anonymous complaint/compliance line you can probably get that checked out. If they don't act on it then you can let the media or a watchdog org know and this person will possibly get hosed.

Oh yeah, I'm not in the US. I could literally read the grades out in class and nothing would happen.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Another goodie which I'm sure has been discussed to death are the insane amount of upper management titles (?). I swear half these teams are filled with some combination of Manager/Senior Manager/Director/Senior Director/VP/EVP and there's only like a handful of team members. Some are just a bunch of Directors/Senior Directors (who is everyone directing??). I'm sure it's just how it ended up with the job title progression and perhaps this is the norm while I came from a smaller company that had a hierarchy that was more clear cut.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

Somebody check Sundae's post history for June, cause he was obviously feeling a lot more optimistic about the world then.

I don't know whether to be honored or disturbed. :v:

Edit:

Sundae, on June 20, 2019 posted:

Shut up Meg.

quote:

My current job is "babysit the decisions because they're gonna be stupid" due to most of the people not having the background needed for the decisions they're making, plus a little actual real work, plus a bunch of "hey, we need to figure out how to undo this decision someone made three years ago that they didn't have the background to..."

Thankfully, politics don't play as much of a role as I worried they would. The company is a little title-crazy in terms of "fancy title gets +1 to decision rolls" style, but nobody knows what to make of my title so they tend to keep me outside their little caste system and defer to me on merit rather than fanciness. (I'm literally the only person with my title in the entire 3-4K people in my branch of the company.)

Oh sweet jesus, yeah that changed fast. lmao.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 16, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sundae posted:

Sundae, on June 20, 2019 posted:
Shut up Meg.

I don't know whether to be honored or disturbed. :v:

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

hmmxkrazee posted:

First time working at a big company and conference calls are basically
50% troubleshooting technical difficulties
25% asking someone oblivious on the line to please mute their mic (99% of the time they never do)
20% asking people to repeat themselves cause their connection is so goddamn poor
5% going over redundant info

What about the perennial favorite “phone unmuted while driving on the highway”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tiax Rules All posted:

Been there :sigh::hf::sigh: just try to keep it crystal clear in your mind that said agile training will never actually be useful in your entire life because agile is pointless dumb garbage and nobody ever going to actually follow the process correctly no matter how much experience or training a team has in it. It's not even a resume booster because anywhere that would be looking for that agile training is a place you'd want to go work for.

So you are, actually, fully wasting two days of your life. They will be gone, you'll never get them back, and it will all be for nothing. Once you've crystallized this realization in your mind, I recommend you zone out for the whole thing and focus on something fun you plan to do once it's over.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

greazeball posted:

He's in his 40s, he's just lazy and doesn't want to change from his precious webmail.

and/or he wants to be able to pretend he never received any email that says anything he doesn't like.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Sydin posted:

So you are, actually, fully wasting two days of your life.

Consider this... you're wasting every day of your life that you work

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Consider this... you're wasting every day of your life

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My body and mind are ready for my happiness progress evaluation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tiax Rules All posted:

Tell them you'll do one day of training this week and finish the rest over the next 6 months

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I spent over an hour today in a meeting arguing with QA about whether or not a box with a lid counted as "covered storage." :suicide:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Tiax Rules All posted:

This training process does not sound "agile".

Mantle
May 15, 2004

greazeball posted:

My teaching colleague at the university just absolutely flat-out refuses to use an email client and instead routes everything through his Yahoo mail account.

People that do hiring, what are some ways you could identify someone like this during interviews? Like acting like a special snowflake to gently caress over their team.

Or are these people identified but hired anyways?

Mantle fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 16, 2019

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Sundae posted:

I spent over an hour today in a meeting arguing with QA about whether or not a box with a lid counted as "covered storage." :suicide:

As in not being rained on covered storage?

Propose all cardboard boxes not marked covered storage required be moved to a parking lot “out back”.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

This training process does not sound "agile".
Ask for the training to be presented as a 10-minute walking huddle on the plant floor.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey, has anyone here ever had to deal with Matrix Absence Management? They're knee-deep in trying to gently caress over my wife and her FMLA/ADA coverage, currently by misleading her doctors and misrepresenting their answers. Her employer's HR hasn't done anything yet, but I'm starting to get concerned.

If there's a better thread for this sort of question, let me know.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

and/or he wants to be able to pretend he never received any email that says anything he doesn't like.

maybe, but he also sends me panicky emails when he can't find the poo poo I sent him 2 weeks ago so I think he's one of those I-was-only-pretending-to-be-stupid guys because he knows how to do the bare minimum, he just enjoys pissing me off. I think I'm just going to either filter all of his emails to spam or start manually marking them as spam and hope his address somehow gets blocked system-wide

Mantle posted:

People that do hiring, what are some ways you could identify someone like this during interviews? Like acting like a special snowflake to gently caress over their team.

Or are these people identified but hired anyways?

he teaches a full courseload, never gets sick, hands in his marks on time and sucks up to the deans, so that's basically everything they want. tbf, there are worse freaks here too, it's just that he's in my department so I have to deal with his poo poo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tnuctip posted:

As in not being rained on covered storage?

Propose all cardboard boxes not marked covered storage required be moved to a parking lot “out back”.

Cardboard is actually straight-up illegal under the code of federal regulations for our area classification. :v:

For extra clarity: An audit complained that we had equipment parts sitting out on carts and shelves in our manufacturing processing area. Because they weren't covered, they posed a risk of cross-contamination if operators failed to remove them or clean them prior to the next production run (think: change parts that are optional depending on how we've tooled the equipment). Our draft response basically said "okay, we'll remove the large ones from the room for permanent storage and put all the smaller ones into labeled plastic storage boxes with lids on the shelves."

QA then said NO NO NO, LIDS AREN'T COVERS. IF THEY WERE COVERS, THEY'D BE CALLED THAT INSTEAD OF LIDS.

I'm all in favor of leaving each and every asinine QA nutcase "out back" as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/humanworkplace/status/1206365503792435202

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Sundae posted:

Cardboard is actually straight-up illegal under the code of federal regulations for our area classification. :v:

For extra clarity: An audit complained that we had equipment parts sitting out on carts and shelves in our manufacturing processing area. Because they weren't covered, they posed a risk of cross-contamination if operators failed to remove them or clean them prior to the next production run (think: change parts that are optional depending on how we've tooled the equipment). Our draft response basically said "okay, we'll remove the large ones from the room for permanent storage and put all the smaller ones into labeled plastic storage boxes with lids on the shelves."

QA then said NO NO NO, LIDS AREN'T COVERS. IF THEY WERE COVERS, THEY'D BE CALLED THAT INSTEAD OF LIDS.

I'm all in favor of leaving each and every asinine QA nutcase "out back" as well.

If the rule literally says “covered” then buy a cheap insurance policy for them and and then point out how they are technically in covered storage

See how far you can push the stupid word games

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

We've hired 4 people from my old place since October including myself lol

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I love Liz Ryan. That’s a real good twitter follow.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

This is so true. I worked for a small company and interacted with the c-suite all the time. My personal highlight was having to explain multiple times how we couldn't just add percentages together for metrics with different denominators. Like 10% of used cars + 20% of houses does not mean you have a 30% overall rate.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SpartanIvy posted:

This is so true. I worked for a small company and interacted with the c-suite all the time. My personal highlight was having to explain multiple times how we couldn't just add percentages together for metrics with different denominators. Like 10% of used cars + 20% of houses does not mean you have a 30% overall rate.

My general experience is that they're the most credulous motherfuckers on the planet and will believe basically anything, but also they will throw you under the bus without a second's hesitation to make themselves look better

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shugojin posted:

My general experience is that they're the most credulous motherfuckers on the planet and will believe basically anything, but also they will throw you under the bus without a second's hesitation to make themselves look better

That's how they got there in a lot of cases.

And yes, being at strategy meetings and seeing execs get so caught up in the wording of something they waste 30 minutes arguing semantics will definitely change your opinion on their level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is it normal in the US for people to gently caress off for vacation a week before Christmas and just leave their work undone? Someone on my project team has done this and her boss has as well. The outsourced work they manage is ongoing and the vendor is WTFing.

I'd expect to get fired but the boss has just emailed saying "there is no cover"